Best Monitor for New Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by goldbuffalo, Oct 31, 2018.

1. goldbuffalo macrumors newbie

2. bradross01 macrumors newbie

bradross01

Following this one. Not sure what to get. Looking for either a 2 screen setup ~27" or a curved 34"

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I noticed in one of the photos from the demo that had the LG 5K running, so I think that would be a good choice. Not cheap though.

4. bradross01 macrumors newbie

bradross01

Yeah. That would be nice. But price wise need to stick with 4k. Do they / it have to be a thunderbolt display?

5. now i see it macrumors 68030

I'm not a fan of flickering LED monitors, so I personally would go with one of the flicker-free monitors from Viewsonic.

6. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

No, you can even get the HDMI, as there is HDMI port on Mini.

7. bradross01 macrumors newbie

bradross01

HDMI would only work for one monitor. What about USB-C Monitors? They don't need to be labeled Thunderbolt 3 correct?

8. tanoanian macrumors newbie

It's not for everyone but the Samsung CHG90 Series 49" Ultrawide is wicked cool...

9. goldbuffalo thread starter macrumors newbie

Some guy on apple.com review of this monitor (the LG 5K) says, anyone know what he's talking about ?:

The old and much nicer Cinema Display works better with Pro systems and look much better doing it. This display can't even run at 4K yet alone 3K resolution with Apples best computer. I wish Apple would update the specs to mention this display does not work correctly with Apple desktop computers.

UPDATE! Does not work with 2018 Mac Mini either

AND

what about the Dell's

They have a 27 " Ultra sharp 4K and a 4K HDR seem interesting.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

11. jasnw macrumors 6502a

jasnw

Anyone have experience with either of these Dell monitors (U2715H and P3715Q)? They are both around $430 at Amazon and look like they'd be good for non-gaming use.

12. grassright macrumors newbie

LG 5K looks great with my Mac.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 31, 2018 ---
    LG 5K works with 2018 Mac Mini for SURE.

13. jasnw macrumors 6502a

jasnw

I'm still a little surprised that Apple didn't announce a monitor line along with the Mini. Maybe whenever they get around to the new Pro and/or the rumored modular Mac?

14. BobMcBob macrumors member

15. jasnw macrumors 6502a

jasnw

Which Viewsonic would you get? I haven't used one of their monitors since the bad old CRT days.

16. Spankey macrumors 6502a

I would stay away from the LG UltraFine 5K. With the mini go with a display that has more inputs than just Thunderbolt 3. An eGPU may be in your future.

17. onebyone, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2018

onebyone macrumors newbie

Attempting to post this again.

I did a trial run replacement of my iMac and second monitor with my MacBook Pro 13" (that I use for travel) and the LG 34" 5K in prep for the new mini. Super happy with it see no reason not to move forward with my plans.

18. otisblack macrumors newbie

19. SpacemanSpiffed macrumors regular

SpacemanSpiffed

Lots of good choices. If possible stick with an IPS panel and a proper monitor, not a TV. It really depends on how big you want, and what sort of pixel density you prefer.

For max desktop space, many programmers I know are switching to 43" monitors to replace dual monitor setups and get 4K without have to increase scaling. The LG Electronics 42.5" Screen LED-lit Monitor (43UD79-B) is a good choice - takes HDMI 2.0 and USB-C/TB inputs.

The Dell UP3216Q that Dr. Stealth recommends is another great choice, especially for photoshop.

If you rather have wide, but not so tall, I think the 34" dell 3415W Curved monitor has been on sale lately and the people I know who have it, love it and usually have 2 things open side-by-side.

The 5K monitor is ... nice .. IMHO, but it's not a must-have in my book.

Get the monitor you'll be happiest sitting in front of and using! In the end, only you know what that means.

20. strawbale macrumors 6502

My question/worry is: does the UHD 630 support 10-bit color panels

21. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

I'd get another LG 5K UltraFine any day, over any others – I'm actually considering another if I get a new 2018 Mac Mini.

I have two on my maxed-out 2016 15" MBP (hanging off an "AmazonBasics Dual Display Arm") and they work really well, and offer a Retina quality, crystal clear 218dpi image.

Sure they're not perfect in functionality, with a few glitches here and there, but the core function of displaying an image & USB-C docking; they work flawlessly. Nothing else compares in picture quality (until 8K/10K displays come along, and that won't be for 2-3 years yet with Thunderbolt 4's 80Gbps speeds needed, lol!).

22. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

23. kaibob macrumors regular

I'm looking for a decently-priced 24-inch monitor with sharp text and have been considering the Dell P2415Q. It's 4K and goes for about $350. The reviews are good given the price and Dells monitors are generally reliable.

One concern I have is with scaling--things look awfully small on a 4K 24-inch display. I assume you can use scaled resolution in macOS preferences to fix this, but it's something that need to be confirmed.

24. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I would probably pick a 32" form factor running in "native 1440p" (not "HiDPI").

4k on 32" in HiDPI mode would look "too big" (even for an old guy with aging vision like me).
    Turn off HiDPI, and in "native 4k" the image would be too SMALL.

Aside: the 5k iMac running in HiDPI (at its "standard" resolution) looks "on the small side" to me, because the display size is 27". If it were 32", it would be "just right".