Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradross01

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah. That would be nice. But price wise need to stick with 4k. Do they / it have to be a thunderbolt display?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I'm not a fan of flickering LED monitors, so I personally would go with one of the flicker-free monitors from Viewsonic.

goldbuffalo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
Some guy on apple.com review of this monitor (the LG 5K) says, anyone know what he's talking about ?:

The old and much nicer Cinema Display works better with Pro systems and look much better doing it. This display can't even run at 4K yet alone 3K resolution with Apples best computer. I wish Apple would update the specs to mention this display does not work correctly with Apple desktop computers.

UPDATE! Does not work with 2018 Mac Mini either

AND

what about the Dell's

They have a 27 " Ultra sharp 4K and a 4K HDR seem interesting.

grassright

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I only need one monitor.

any suggestions ?

LG 5K looks great with my Mac.
[doublepost=1541027257][/doublepost]
The old and much nicer Cinema Display works better with Pro systems and look much better doing it. This display can't even run at 4K yet alone 3K resolution with Apples best computer. I wish Apple would update the specs to mention this display does not work correctly with Apple desktop computers.

UPDATE! Does not work with 2018 Mac Mini either

LG 5K works with 2018 Mac Mini for SURE.

Reactions: jimthing

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA

I'm running the Dell UltraSharp 32" Ultra HD 4K Monitor (UP3216Q) and absolutely love it.

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 5.13.09 PM.png

onebyone

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2007
I only need one monitor.

any suggestions ?

Attempting to post this again.

I did a trial run replacement of my iMac and second monitor with my MacBook Pro 13" (that I use for travel) and the LG 34" 5K in prep for the new mini. Super happy with it see no reason not to move forward with my plans.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW
Lots of good choices. If possible stick with an IPS panel and a proper monitor, not a TV. It really depends on how big you want, and what sort of pixel density you prefer.

For max desktop space, many programmers I know are switching to 43" monitors to replace dual monitor setups and get 4K without have to increase scaling. The LG Electronics 42.5" Screen LED-lit Monitor (43UD79-B) is a good choice - takes HDMI 2.0 and USB-C/TB inputs.

The Dell UP3216Q that Dr. Stealth recommends is another great choice, especially for photoshop.

If you rather have wide, but not so tall, I think the 34" dell 3415W Curved monitor has been on sale lately and the people I know who have it, love it and usually have 2 things open side-by-side.

The 5K monitor is ... nice .. IMHO, but it's not a must-have in my book.

Get the monitor you'll be happiest sitting in front of and using! In the end, only you know what that means.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I'd get another LG 5K UltraFine any day, over any others – I'm actually considering another if I get a new 2018 Mac Mini.

I have two on my maxed-out 2016 15" MBP (hanging off an "AmazonBasics Dual Display Arm") and they work really well, and offer a Retina quality, crystal clear 218dpi image.

Sure they're not perfect in functionality, with a few glitches here and there, but the core function of displaying an image & USB-C docking; they work flawlessly. Nothing else compares in picture quality (until 8K/10K displays come along, and that won't be for 2-3 years yet with Thunderbolt 4's 80Gbps speeds needed, lol!).

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
I'm looking for a decently-priced 24-inch monitor with sharp text and have been considering the Dell P2415Q. It's 4K and goes for about $350. The reviews are good given the price and Dells monitors are generally reliable.

One concern I have is with scaling--things look awfully small on a 4K 24-inch display. I assume you can use scaled resolution in macOS preferences to fix this, but it's something that need to be confirmed.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would probably pick a 32" form factor running in "native 1440p" (not "HiDPI").

4k on 32" in HiDPI mode would look "too big" (even for an old guy with aging vision like me).
Turn off HiDPI, and in "native 4k" the image would be too SMALL.

Aside: the 5k iMac running in HiDPI (at its "standard" resolution) looks "on the small side" to me, because the display size is 27". If it were 32", it would be "just right".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.