Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
Smooth the whole time on my 5K display. I used Safari, Mail, and Night Owl for the test.

I guess you are on 10.12.2?

I get the same thing on my other Mac when connected to a display as well - hence thinking it was a Sierra issue.

Are you going to Mission Control when in one of the full screen apps? (It doesn't happen when already on the desktop)

Edit: to give you an idea of what it should be like, go to a full screen app and use four fingers on the trackpad upwards (much smoother)
[doublepost=1483396571][/doublepost]
When I do as you ask on the 2016 13" (no monitor), the first time it is jerky while everything loads into the mission control view. After the first time it's smooth.

Thanks, but this only happens with an external display connected.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Let's not confuse smooth with different. Using the four finger upwards gesture on the track pad results in an animation of the app collapsing into it's own Desktop window in Mission Control. Using the hot corner to get to Mission Control goes right to Mission Control with the app already collapsed. Both are smooth the first time and subsequent times.

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
Let's not confuse smooth with different. Using the four finger upwards gesture on the track pad results in an animation of the app collapsing into it's own Desktop window in Mission Control. Using the hot corner to get to Mission Control goes right to Mission Control with the app already collapsed. Both are smooth the first time and subsequent times.

So you are getting the same thing. When in a full screen app, the animation for MC isn't 'smooth' - it 'snaps' straight to MC (though not always I hasten to add - it is also sometimes jerky).

Now try it on your Mac without a display connected - they are entirely different experiences - on the MBP it is smooth and performed over a certain amount of time (i.e. does not 'snap' straight to MC).

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
It's not "jerky" in my case. Again, just because there is no animations does not mean it is jerky. It is smooth just fast as it skips the animation.

I do see animation on the 15.4" display when the large display is disconnected. I suspect this is a design decision and not a bug. Animation only really makes a lot of sense when using the four finger gesture anyway.

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
It's inconsistent, horrible and harsh. Not like the smooth Mac OS experience we are used to. I filed it as a bug - it never used to do this until a fairly recent update.
[doublepost=1483405864][/doublepost]Ok just checked another Mac running Yosemite (10.10.5) connected to an external display and it does the smooth animation (i.e. like we are getting on our MBPs without a display). It is MUCH nicer. Hope they fix it soon.

Last edited:

rtkane

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
So my backlighting is hosed. I guess I'll have to have Apple send a replacement. :(

Apple wants me to setup a genius bar appointment (don't know why, not like they'll be able to fix it). LG's tech support said Apple is handling and no resources are available. Apple's tech support doesn't have any idea who to route this to for support and are trying to send me back to LG. I'm going to just have them ship another, bill me and return the defective one to the store. This is making me wish it was an Apple product and not 3rd party.

Shakko

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
There's no reason to go to the Genius Bar -- there's really nothing they can do except troubleshoot your Mac.

I talked to Apple Support earlier today and the rep wasn't even aware of the LG monitors, let alone provide some kind of support for them. Thankfully, he was able to get me to Sales where they were much more accommodating. I'm doing a "return and replacement" for both of my displays for the color issues from the 5K Owners thread. I packed up both displays and sent them to Apple today. Once they get them, they'll prioritize my replacements and send them out asap, with expedited shipping.

I'm hoping to get the new set of monitors by end of next week -- but we'll see what happens. Kind of sucks, but rather have it fixed now while I'm still in the 14day window.

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
I am having the sleep/wake issue with LG 4K, it's definitely a macOS's problem.

More precisely, I have discovered 3 scenarios.

1. Fresh login when wake up. The machine basically reboots itself for some unknown reasons.

2. External display doesn't wake up, but the internal display does and the cursor movement becomes extremely laggy. A easy fix is to replug the cable.

3. External and internal displays don't wake up. I have to force restart the machine, very annoying.

I'm having the same issues with my lg ud88 4K too. 5K ultrafine coming next week. Hope I don't have problems with both (more than fitting them on my desk!).

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
Brightness adjustment should also alter gamma

My biggest criticism of these monitors is the brightness, 500nits is great when you need it, but most of the time you will want to step the brightness down a notch - especially - if you use the monitor for long periods or you will damage your eyes.

The problem with turning the brightness/backlight down is that you lose a lot of detail in the shadows - what I hope LG does is alter the gamma accordingly, so the lower the back-light (ie. brightness via options) the lower the gamma to compensate.

I have tried creating a custom profile via alt clicking on the 'calibrate' but the gamma setting does not stick - this is a bug Imo, anyone else get the same issue?

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2016
I just got mine and quickly noticed this display is screwed up. I have the 5K version. I notice a two patches on the left and right of the display that show these wavy vertical lines. In person they kinda give you a blurry and rainbows effect. It's hard to capture with the camera but you should be able to see it in the pictures. Check it out:

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
I just got mine and quickly noticed this display is screwed up. I have the 5K version. I notice a two patches on the left and right of the display that show these wavy vertical lines. In person they kinda give you a blurry and rainbows effect. It's hard to capture with the camera but you should be able to see it in the pictures. Check it out:

And I see that you have the 13 " MacBook Pro , do you notice some lag when you use it ?

rtkane

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
There's no reason to go to the Genius Bar -- there's really nothing they can do except troubleshoot your Mac.

I talked to Apple Support earlier today and the rep wasn't even aware of the LG monitors, let alone provide some kind of support for them. Thankfully, he was able to get me to Sales where they were much more accommodating. I'm doing a "return and replacement" for both of my displays for the color issues from the 5K Owners thread. I packed up both displays and sent them to Apple today. Once they get them, they'll prioritize my replacements and send them out asap, with expedited shipping.

I'm hoping to get the new set of monitors by end of next week -- but we'll see what happens. Kind of sucks, but rather have it fixed now while I'm still in the 14day window.

Yeah, I cancelled the Genius Bar appointment as soon as the confirmation they sent came through (figured it was easier to just not argue with them and call back for another rep). Did get a senior advisor on the phone who took care of me also with a return and replace. Good luck on your timing--hope mine comes soon too. Agree on the 14 day window--biggest concern was that whatever happened would be outside of the 14 day window and I'd be stuck seeking a repair vs. replacement.

Shakko

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008

I noticed the same banding issue on both my displays. While very faint, once you see it, it's hard to "un-see" it. I thought it may have something to do with the coating, just cause of the striations, but not entirely sure.

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2016
I noticed the same banding issue on both my displays. While very faint, once you see it, it's hard to "un-see" it. I thought it may have something to do with the coating, just cause of the striations, but not entirely sure.
Did you return yours?

Shakko

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Did you return yours?

I'm doing a return and replacement, but not so much for the banding issue as much as the color tinting. The banding didn't bother me as much since it was mostly noticeable when viewing full colors rather than typical usage.

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2016
I'm doing a return and replacement, but not so much for the banding issue as much as the color tinting. The banding didn't bother me as much since it was mostly noticeable when viewing full colors rather than typical usage.
What tinting issue and how do I test for that?

justinlovingyoutube

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2016
I mentioned this in a previous post - one of the two LG 5k's I ordered arrived with a faulty Thunderbolt 3 cable - the MBP screen kept blinking in and out as if changing resolution and video on the LG 5k attached to the other end of the cable wouldn't work at all, even though the MBP was being charged by the TB3 cable. I thought it'd just be a case of swapping out the cable; I was wrong!

LG (UK) support didn't even have the 5k on their system and were unable to help! I thought i'd be able to order a replacement cable from my local Apple Store, but as the LG 5k isn't an Apple product, I was told they don't keep inventory of parts and that the only option was to return the whole screen for a refund/replacement. I then called Apple support who were great and escalated the case. As a consequence they're sending out a replacement display before I send back the faulty cable (and display).

Incidentally, my local Apple Store let me have (foc) a Belkin 2m TB3 cable to try out. This actually seems to work fine in every respect, but as the Belkin cable is only rated for supplying 60w of charge (vs the MBP-friendly 85w over the LG 5k cable) - I chose to go ahead with the replacement. This seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but I presume replacement parts will become more readily available when supply is less constrained?

The Belkin cable looks identical to the LG one, but I do feel that the Belkin cable seems more robust than the LG one!? I read another post in these forums where someone has a LG 5k cable which works but is a bit flaky? I hope this post helps them and anyone else with the same problem.

Hi I have a similar issue. When I plug in the 5K both monitors blink off and on as if the 5K is being unplugged and then plugged back in. Did you happen to find a Thunderbolt cable replacement off the shelf anywhere?

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I am having a puzzle with adjusting brightness on my setup. (MBP 15" and 2xLG 5K) Adjusting brightness via keyboard changes only one of the displays (LG UltraFine (1) and not the other one. Also I find it very sluggish when adjusting, several seconds of delay. Anything I have missed or is this the way it supposed to be?

Previously, holding Control and pressing the brightness keys adjusted a second connected apple display, have you tried this with your current setup?

Reactions: userjohn

Dukat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Previously, holding Control and pressing the brightness keys adjusted a second connected apple display, have you tried this with your current setup?

Not working for me. So far the only way I've been able to adjust brightness is system preferences.
I'd also like to know how to adjust contrast since calibration for the LG starts off by telling you to set contrast to maximum before proceeding with the calibration steps.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
When I am at home I use the LG 5K display as my primary display with the MacBook Pro display setup as second non-mirrored display. I also use an Apple wired (extended) keyboard and a wired Logitech mouse plugged into the back of the LG display.

I can control the brightness on both displays with this setup. I use the Touch Bar slider to control the MacBook Display brightness. To control the brightness of LG display, I went into the "Keyboard" system preference pane, to the "Shortcuts" tab, and selected "Display". There, I set "Decrease display brightness" to "F1" and "Increase display brightness" to "F2". Once that is done, the "F1" key decreases the LG display brightness while the "F2" decreases it.

Reactions: userjohn

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
can anyone play Netflix movies? I get a HDCP compliant message and won't play.

Dukat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
When I am at home I use the LG 5K display as my primary display with the MacBook Pro display setup as second non-mirrored display. I also use an Apple wired (extended) keyboard and a wired Logitech mouse plugged into the back of the LG display.

I can control the brightness on both displays with this setup. I use the Touch Bar slider to control the MacBook Display brightness. To control the brightness of LG display, I went into the "Keyboard" system preference pane, to the "Shortcuts" tab, and selected "Display". There, I set "Decrease display brightness" to "F1" and "Increase display brightness" to "F2". Once that is done, the "F1" key decreases the LG display brightness while the "F2" decreases it.

I think my issue is the new Macbook won't identify my Apple Keyboard (latest release). It says, "Press the key immediately to the right of the shift key on the left side", which is Z. I press Z, it says, "Your keyboard cannot be identified".

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.