Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I've been holding back processing my latest batch of photos for LR6. I guess I'll try it with my next batch.

I can't wait to get back into shooting HDRs and panoramas with the new Photo Merge features! So glad I'm still gonna be able to pay my one-time upgrade fee. I did not want to enter a subscription with Adobe just for the 2 features of Photoshop CC I'd ever use! Photo Merge is a God send for Lightroom!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I just want Adobe to update their RAW engine for Fuji's X-Trans. I hope those two companies have been working closely for version 6.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
http://photorumors.com/2015/03/11/the-latest-adobe-lightroom-6-leaks-announcement-on-march-25th/#more-68924

Latest rumor on LR6 for 25 March.

I'm a bit torn. I have really been liking my trial of Capture 1 Pro. There are a few things in LR6 I am interested in that C1 Pro doesn't have. Those are the Panorama merge, a Zenfolio.com uploader extension, and native photobooks. Oh, and the price is a little nicer ;) . Those are not really deal breakers for C1 Pro but if LR6 handles Nikon RAWs as well as C1 Pro does then it might be a tough decision.

One question for LR users. Does Lightroom (or will LR6) have a mask or layers tool so that you can edit individual portions of an image without effecting the rest of the image?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Does Lightroom (or will LR6) have a mask or layers tool so that you can edit individual portions of an image without effecting the rest of the image?

Its called the adjustment brush. You paint an area and make the adjustments for exposure, clarity...etc. There is also a circular mask tool that will let you create round or elliptical masks and do adjustments inside or outside the mask. You can have multiple masks on an image.

I suggest visiting the Adobe site for LR and do some reading on what LR 5 already does.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Its called the adjustment brush. You paint an area and make the adjustments for exposure, clarity...etc. There is also a circular mask tool that will let you create round or elliptical masks and do adjustments inside or outside the mask. You can have multiple masks on an image.

I suggest visiting the Adobe site for LR and do some reading on what LR 5 already does.

Thanks, sounds similar to the function in C1 Pro. I have been trying to read up on it but honestly reading through this stuff on company X's website is tough. For some reason I find Adobe's site a bit difficult as well.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I take it you're unhappy with the rendering of X-Trans Raws in LR?

No, the pictures comes out as beautiful as I take them. Especially portraits.

What I'm saying is the X-Trans is a different algorithm than Bayer but I'm not sure how much time Adobe dedicates to optimizing the X-Trans algorithm.

I know other RAW processing comparisons, LR seems to come out in the middle. Which is bizarre to be because I think the files look great. Unfortunately, I'm not inclined to use a separate piece of software just to process RAW, then use LR at the same time for minor differences in RAW engines.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
If you like layers and masking therein generally that's sort of the image editor end of things as opposed to RAW processor. I realize there's a bunch of overlap, but it generally holds. I'd guess as well that perhaps storing layers in a PIE is a bit of a chore, as opposed to say storing that in PSDs. But maybe it's just sort of artibrary or a marketing thing. LR users have been on about this for a while.

Of course if you go LR subscription you get PS, which can do it.

And several of MacPhun's plugins do layers, like Tonality Pro. It can be handy; you can use presets with each layer, and then blend as desired, which can be faster than readjusting everything manually. And you can just erase say a layer where you applied grain, so that the final image has that masked off the main subject. You can often get to the same place with other tools, but it's more intuitive perhaps for people used to working with them.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

That's pretty similar to C1... each mask is effectively it's own layer with nearly a full set of adjustments.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
Altho it's nice to see they won't be doing the whole sub fee thing, still debating on this or Capture One. Highly considering a Sony camera soon, so that $30 C1 deal is pretty enticing:) I'll at least wait till the 25th tho to see how LR6 looks.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
25th?

I hope so. I'm ready to buy it, but I'm waiting for LR 6. I see no point in installing LR 5 and then replacing it within a week.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
So, today is the second suspected release date! Let's see if Adobe give us Lightroom 6 today. Having said that, I did recently buy all of the VSCO filters on my iPhone and I'm finding it to be a really powerful and quick editing tool. With the WiFi transfer features of my A6000, I might find myself rarely using Lightroom! We'll see.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
So, today is the second suspected release date! Let's see if Adobe give us Lightroom 6 today. Having said that, I did recently buy all of the VSCO filters on my iPhone and I'm finding it to be a really powerful and quick editing tool. With the WiFi transfer features of my A6000, I might find myself rarely using Lightroom! We'll see.

Nothing yet.

Is there supposed to be an event or announcement, or will it just show up on their site?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Nothing yet.

Is there supposed to be an event or announcement, or will it just show up on their site?

One presumes it'll just show up at some point later. I'm thinking maybe like 10AM PST? Which is about 5PM GMT right now, with daylight saving.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
It drops when it drops. I'm done worrying about it. Adobe would have given us a preview by now instead of dropping it blind.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Ya, I'm getting the feeling it's not coming today. :rolleyes:

Starting to lose interest if I'm honest. I mean, I'll probably just pay my £50 upgrade fee just for the sake of owning it and having the option, but I've been really enjoying VSCO Cam. It's proving to be such a versatile and powerful app, available on my iPhone and iPad. Just wish they had a RAW convertor desktop app, they could be a great competitor. I know they sell Lightroom 5 presets, but that's not the same as using their app - in my opinion.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
What's the new rumored date?

I've been putting off installing LR5 just to have to update it to LR6, but if LR6 is not out in 2 weeks I'll just instal LR5.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What's the new rumored date?

I've been putting off installing LR5 just to have to update it to LR6, but if LR6 is not out in 2 weeks I'll just instal LR5.

There is none at this point. I'd not look for any further dates and just wait, it will show up and when it shows up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.