Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I love VMware and their stupid ass marketing dept. There is no mention anywhere of whether this will run on Snow Leopard (host). All they talk about is how it's built for Lion, blah blah blah...some of us are not interested in running Lion, not now, and maybe not ever. I have an entire infrastructure built up around Snow Leopard for a reason, and it ain't gonna change. So, does anyone know if this version 4 will work on Snow Leopard and if so, will the performance improvements still be seen in Snow Leopard, or only in Lion?

I love how 2 months after an operating system comes out, everybody assumes the world has already migrated to it. Maybe the tarts with laptops do, but not desktop and server folks who actually work in IT and run VM's because they have to...not because it's "cool"...unreal, they should call this the "Tart Release" and then the marketing campaign would make sense.

For what it is worth, off the requirements page from fusion:

Quote:
VMware Fusion 4 System Requirements

Any 64-bit capable Intel® Mac.
(Compatible with Core 2 Duo, Xeon, i3, i5, i7 processors)
Minimum 2GB of RAM (4GB recommended)
750MB free disk space for VMware Fusion and at least 5GB for each virtual machine
Mac OS X 10.6.7 or later; OS X Lion recommended
Operating system installation media (disk or disk image) for virtual machines
Note: Microsoft Windows Not Included

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Some would say this is an advantage. Especially the multi-monitor using crowd. ;)

Frankly, I like having virtualbox up Full screen on my main screen and use my second screen for something like iTunes. Lion full screen support would break this, making the 2nd monitor useless when my VM would be in "full screen".

Just make a space in Mission control just for the full screened VM, you then achieve the same functionality as Lion's full screen mode.

Some would say that fault lies with Mission Control, and I'm inclined to agree. All Lion Full Screen apps disable the second monitor.

I've feedback'd to apple to allow more options for Full Screen, or at the very least, allow Full Screen apps to access the second monitor. Mail could keep the "Messages" window over there, iTunes could keep album art over there, iPhoto could keep the photo library over there (when editing), VMWare could put a second Windows monitor over there, etc..etc..etc..

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Why would you want to run a virtual machine running lion, if you're already running lion?

It's very handy for software developers. You need to be able to test your software in all of your supported environments. It's easier have a lot of variations in VMs rather than maintaining physical machines. Also, it's useful when trouble shooting to be able to fully control the environment in which it is running, which VM's also make easier and more convenient.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
No, you're wrong. Those doc's talk all about Snow Leopard as a "Guest" OS, not as a Host OS. that's the point. I know how to run SL Server in a VM, that's not what I need to know.

Here's an excerpt from the page you linked:
Does VMware Fusion support:

Windows 7 and Windows Vista?
Yes, VMware Fusion supports all versions of Microsoft Vista from 32-bit Home Basic to the 64-bit Ultimate edition with full support for Unity, copy and paste of styled text, drag and drop of files, shared folders, and screen resizing.

Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD?
Yes, VMware Fusion offers full support for more than 60 operating systems including a wide variety of Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris distributions. See the Getting Started Guide for more details.

Mac OS X Leopard Server virtual machines?
Yes, VMware Fusion 4 now supports Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard in a virtual machine.

Mac OS X (client) virtual machines?
Yes, OS X Lion client and server can now be run as a guest in a virtual machine with VMware Fusion 4.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard?
Yes, VMware Fusion 4.0 is fully optimized for Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

The way they wrote this, it's obvious to me that they mention 10.6 and 10.7 will work in a Fusion 4 as a VM and Fusion 4 will run on a Mac running 10.6 or 10.7.

ManWithAPlan

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
For what it is worth, off the requirements page from fusion:

Quote:
VMware Fusion 4 System Requirements

Any 64-bit capable Intel® Mac.
(Compatible with Core 2 Duo, Xeon, i3, i5, i7 processors)
Minimum 2GB of RAM (4GB recommended)
750MB free disk space for VMware Fusion and at least 5GB for each virtual machine
Mac OS X 10.6.7 or later; OS X Lion recommended
Operating system installation media (disk or disk image) for virtual machines
Note: Microsoft Windows Not Included

Thanks. Didn't see it earlier and checked every damn document they had up there. Bizarre that they hide this crap so much. Anyway, thanks. I love how Lion is Recommended for this. Lion is crap for any sophisticated usage. Why VMware completely ignores power users and enterprise usage is beyond me. Idiots, as usual, it's par for the course. But I'm happy for the Lion-using Tart population, they can show their friends how neat it is to play a Windows game on your Mac - yipppeeee! Glad we're catering to the lowest common denominator.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
anyone figured out how to get a VM of Lion to work. Using the wizard didnt get me anywhere. I have the ISO from the App store that i will try tonight but so far i dont see any easy way to create such a VM.

Anyone else find a way?

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
It does not run on Core Duos and Solos anymore, the developer previews used to before they recompiled the finder as a 64bit only app.

That is simply not true at all. In fact, the copy I downloaded from iTunes is working very nicely on my Core Duo Mini.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Great.
Now I can use this on my new mac mini.

1. Install VM Fusion - Check.
2. Put Windows 7 install disc in drive.... oh wait.....hmmm......:eek:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
That is simply not true at all. In fact, the copy I downloaded from iTunes is working very nicely on my Core Duo Mini.

Did you replace the cpu with a C2D? If you didn't, I would be curious to learn how you got a 32bit cpu to run 64bit instructions.

anyone figured out how to get a VM of Lion to work. Using the wizard didnt get me anywhere. I have the ISO from the App store that i will try tonight but so far i dont see any easy way to create such a VM.

Anyone else find a way?

Trying this out on my hackintosh running 10.6.8. All my Macs are on Lion. Just point to InstallESD.dmg as your installation medium and select 10.7 64 bit in the drop down list it comes up with (it defaults to Server). Just setting up my installed client right now. It took a little while to get to the installation menu. Fusion doesn't seem that fast to me.

Last edited:

castlema

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
The subject of running Snow Leopard within a VM on Lion has been done to death but the need is still there for many people. If Apple were to modify the EULA for Snow Leopard to allow the client version to run in a VM this would make is possible for many more people to upgrade to Lion while still maintaining Rosetta access at no cost to Apple.

I know the arguments for leaving PPC applications behind but the fact the remains that in some areas (like schools) there are programs in daily use for which there is no substitute and no upgrade will ever happen. My school district has stopped buying Apple for this reason and is going to try to get by on the old machines we have.

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
So, no upgrade for Fusion 3 users? Their FAQ says:

That doesn't seem right. I don't even have Lion (nor do I want it at this point). So, to upgrade from Fusion 3, I have to purchase a new license? I realize that it's got a promo price of $50, but are they saying that if I don't run out and get it right now, I will be stuck at $80 to "upgrade" Fusion 3 (after the promo is finished)? That's just not right :mad:. So much for loyal customers. (I emailed them to confirm this, so we'll see if they say anything different).

On the other hand, around the end of October last year, I did get an upgrade from Fusion 2 to 3 for like $10. So, it does balance out, but only if I buy the $50 "full license" now.... :confused:

Fusion 3 user here too - I agree that's a crap deal

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
You still have to manage both operating systems on the same machine so I don't see what the big deal is. Having to run a virus/malware checker in Windows is enough to put me in a bad mood on any given day and you still have to do it whether it's a boot camp partition, a virtual machine inside OSX or worse yet, multiple machines. Not to mention Windows nagging with software updates literally almost every single day.

I only use Windows when I have to, for example to run various games or compress video when I need more CPU power than a single Mac, but then there too is a limitation of a virtual Windows setup. With a real 2nd computer, you have an extra set of CPU cores to handle things like compressing video, whereas with just a Mac you only have the one set to either compress all under OSX or split between OSX and Windows, which only makes things slower, not faster or better. Therefore, I conclude the only advantage of running Windows inside OSX is space savings on the desktop and any hardware price differences for the given setup (which may or may not be significant depending on your needs).

It depends what you need a VM for, if you just need to run one program and don't require an internet connection then Why would you do malware/virus/OS updates?

It also depends on how often you USE the VM , if you use it once a month, I would not see a point in running updates every day for fun.

If you do need the VM everyday and use your laptop as a laptop, then I woould hate to carry 2. Unless of coarse your training for the weight lifting team.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
Did you replace the cpu with a C2D? If you didn't, I would be curious to learn how you got a 32bit cpu to run 64bit instructions.

My mistake. I saw Core Duo but read it as Core 2 Duo. Don't mind me...

Yeah, I thought everyone knew it wouldn't run on a Core Duo. Apparently not.

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
Well, the only reason I got Fusion in the first place was to run 2 Windows-only applications, both of which now have (or will have) OSX versions. I might just ditch Fusion altogether!

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I just bought Parallels 7 for $39... for the most part I am happy with it. It gets slow every now and then, however I'm still running Snow Leopard so I make no use of Lion's features. It would be interesting to see a direct comparison between the two.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Can I run 10.4.11 in a virtual machine as well?

With Rosetta or an equivalent?

Just askin', not expectin'.

Rocketman

Nope. Tiger was PPC only on the retail disks. You can run 10.5 Server or later according to the VM client list.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Botched copy/paste job :

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1107457/

Edited my previous post to fix it, thanks for pointing it out.

Just read the thread I quoted, it does run on Core Duos and Core Solos.
Admittedly I haven't read the whole thread, only skimmed through it, but I don't see how that thread shows that Lion as released to the public runs on Core Duos. The screenshot at the start of the thread shows an early Lion build (DP1) running on Core Duo which is not in dispute. The Netkas article that I linked earlier specifically says that the Finder was compiled to 64-bit only starting in DP4. The Hackintosh article I linked is about trying to circumvent the SSSE3 requirement for GM Lion as available in stores. The more recent posts in the thread you link is about hacking Lion to work on Core Duo Macs that have been custom upgraded to Core 2 Duo.

One of the later posts in the thread even reports that Core Duo hacks ceased working since Lion DP2.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12990304/

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Yo dog, I heard you like lion, so I put an lion on your lion so you can mac while you mac.

And now that I got that out of the way, this is great news for me, and I had been needing this functionality this morning actually.

This helps with testing scripts and other things when managing other macs, so I can actually have an environment dedicated to testing and not have to use my workstation install.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Does anyone know if it's possible to run Snow Leopard in VMWare Fusion, in spite of the EULA? I bought Snow Leopard to run on a Mac, so I don't see that it matters if I'm running it in virtualisation if it's still on a Mac. I want to be able to run Snow Leopard after I upgrade to Lion, so I can use some programs that aren't quite stable under Lion yet, or get access to Rosetta if I absolutely need it.

This all aside, I hate how the focus on these virtualisation updates still seems to be on graphical speed, rather than graphical correctness. I still have numerous Direct3D programs under Windows with all kinds of graphical issues. Particularly annoying when most of them run better and faster under WINE!

Unfortunately WINE has glitches of its own, so I still need some form of virtualisation, I don't suppose anyone's had a chance to compare to the latest version of Parallels yet?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Well, the only reason I got Fusion in the first place was to run 2 Windows-only applications, both of which now have (or will have) OSX versions. I might just ditch Fusion altogether!

Gawd do I wish I could say the same.
The financial institutions I deal with believe it or not REQUIRE :eek: I.E. to have me do work??? WTF is that. No Safari, no Firefox, no Developer tools via either, No chrome, no Opera... nada. I.E. or bust.
Also, my software is windows only as well.:

So I have 2 that I don't see changing in the next 5 years still. Ridiculous.:mad:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Can I run 10.4.11 in a virtual machine as well?

With Rosetta or an equivalent?

Just askin', not expectin'.

Rocketman

You can install 10.4.11 (Intel) but not directly. Install Leopard Client [1] or Server first, then shutdown the VM and create a second virtual hard disk for the VM. Startup the VM, format the [new virtual] disk with Disk Utility (HFS+ Journaled) and open
/Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ 1/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
on the 10.4.x Intel install disc, to start the normal OS installation! Deselect unnecessary options. I have a 10.4.4 iMac restore disk [2]. Do not reboot after the installation of 10.4.x on the second virtual disk! Instead, use the 10.4.11 (Intel) combo updater to install the 10.4.11 combo update on the second virtual HD (which has 10.4.x but not 10.4.11). Then reboot from this 10.4.11 installation (on the second virtual HD). Works for me.

[1] Installation of this version requires a special signature patch.
[2] Requires also a patch. You will find the info regarding machine specific disks on the internet via google.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
I just bought Parallels 7 for $39... for the most part I am happy with it. It gets slow every now and then, however I'm still running Snow Leopard so I make no use of Lion's features. It would be interesting to see a direct comparison between the two.

Yeah likewise. I think I'll be holding off on any purchases until then.

lanceh5

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
If I could only run Snow Leopard in VM, that would solve a big problem for me using old applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.