Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
That's a pretty bold statement itself! Are you referring the the whole maps app (compared to androids maps app of course. It'd be unfair to compare it to the Apple control app) or to just the 3D imaging?

Don't forget google has technically beat apple out of the gate with releasing 3D imaging to google earth a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how it'll compare to flyover, but we'll have to wait till iOS 6 release to see,

Google haven't beat Apple at it at all. Googles final release has less cities than apples beta and they are of much lower quality.

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
Has anybody zoomed the map all the way out? Turns into a globe, with inertial rotating :)

Search for USA or something like that.

Morrus

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Google haven't beat Apple at it at all.

Apple hasn't released anything yet. Google has. There is no possible metric in which one can consider Apple to have matched Google at this stage.

That may change soon, but a limited beta means nothing.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Apple hasn't released anything yet. Google has. There is no possible metric in which one can consider Apple to have matched Google at this stage.

We were talking about 3D maps not the entire mapping application.

Like I said, apples betas have higher quality and more cities available than googles final version.

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010

It's already good enough to make you forget about Google maps. Wait til people get their hands on this stuff in its final form.

Looking up all the ballparks, football stadiums, landmarks. Exploring cities you might never see otherwise. It's going to be a smash hit, Apple maps I mean.

Book it.

Morrus

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
We were talking about 3D maps not the entire mapping application.

Like I said, apples betas have higher quality and more cities available than googles final version.

Yes. Apple hasn't released any 3D maps yet, let alone a mapping application. Just a beta. Google has actually released its software.

This changes when ios6 launches, but at present Google is the only company of the two that has released anything publicly.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
has anyone checked other famous non-city locations for 3D? I'm referring to things like mount rushmore, mount everest (or any mountains), the pyramads, grand caynon, stonehenge, Chichen Itza, etc... That would be pretty cool to see.

This is Mount Rushmore I think. The imagery is rubbish at the moment.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344496375.494465.jpg

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
Yes. Apple hasn't released any 3D maps yet, let alone a mapping application. Just a beta. Google has actually released its software.

This changes when ios6 launches, but at present Google is the only company of the two that has released anything publicly.

Google Earth's 3D is awful, not even in the same league as Apple's, and not even integrated into an actual maps application that has any kind of features. And it crashes to boot.

Zoom in from above and rotate down, Apples maps are seamless and the 3D is "always on". Like I said, when people get this in their hands they will forget all about Google Maps.

Morrus

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Google Earth's 3D is awful, not even in the same league as Apple's, and not even integrated into an actual maps application that has any kind of features. And it crashes to boot.

You're completely missing my point. Apple has not released a maps application yet. Google has.

Therefore claims that Apple are "ahead" are premature. You can't be ahead of anyone until you've released something to the public.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
A lot of people have the idea that Google is behind in 3D. Google Earth has had 3D buildings and trees for the longest time. The 3D that they are catching up on is flying planes over cities taking pictures. Before, everything had to be modeled by hand. But, they have put a lot of resources into making most places available in 3D (A lot more than Apple). I don't know why they didn't include the models in the update to the Google Earth. It certainly would make their solution look more impressive.

However, I'm a big fan of Apple Maps as well. Flyover has a lot more details than the 3D models, and it is also available for neighborhoods near cities, which Google would never model in 3D. It is also a lot better experience than Google Earth. Tilting is a lot easier to do in Apple Maps. I hope Apple will eventually beat Google at Maps.

gtatters

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
I looked around google for a bit of info on c3 tech. I attached a couple of links that I thought were interesting.

One thing for all you guys who are trying to guess possible 3D cities I think it may be based heavily on areas with military bases especially ones that used nimrods.

My father worked in the air force and was always bringing home flyover shots from all over the UK that were taken during exercises. Since c3 is a swedish defense company (0 military threat to other nations at least before wiki leaks) I am willing to bet they got access to massive amounts of data from other friendly countries.

Depending on how much info c3 had access to and how many planes were using the tech needed; flyover really might have most of the western world ready to go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitta.se

http://www.zhoog.com/2009/01/3d-maps-better-than-google-earth/

meskida

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
How old are the mapping in your cities? In Madrid they are more than one year later at least in some zones

Really? 'Cause you can see that the Lope de Vega theatre is showing El Rey León and it premiered on October 2011.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.