Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
I love that they didn't change the form of the new shuffle. I'm a big fan of the new shuffle's headset controls. Also cool that they kept the classic.

Biggest loser was the touch. Biggest winner was the nano, hands down!

Globe199

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
I have a very nice setup!

- 4GB iPod mini
- Garmin eTrex Vista for GPS

both are from 2005. they both work great. My quality of life does not hinge on the next bull.sh.it offering from Apple. I don't find myself agonizing over price points that are designed to suck the most money from me. Try it sometime.

8GB Touch for $200, but four times the memory for an additional $100. You gotta be ****ing kidding me. Apple's creative consumer-screwing tactics are so transparent now as to be completely god damn ridiculous. The fact that they STILL don't offer a storage card option is downright insulting.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Was there really a need for Apple to hold an event for this? I said it before that the iPod events are getting a little old and really do not justify holding a keynote. Oh well, maybe when Steve introduces this magical tablet the keynote will mirror the awesomeness of the original iPhone keynote.

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Your upload speed is the same as my best download speed :eek:

Yeah since an hour after an Apple software release is a great time to be judging someone's download speed.

post-5758-1225601204.gif

macoutu

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
.....hold an event for this?

now... EA sports...

now... Gameloft....

now.... balalaa....

now... blibla bla

one more thing...

kick the ipod touch...

here the new nano...

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Was there really a need for Apple to hold an event for this? I said it before that the iPod events are getting a little old and really do not justify holding a keynote. Oh well, maybe when Steve introduces this magical tablet the keynote will mirror the awesomeness of the original iPhone keynote.

I think it's cool to have the keynote, it's really for hype purposes and such. For an event called Rock n Roll I was surprised they hired such a sleeper as Norah Jones to perform.

Colin0317

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
Will the 50% speed bump on the new 32 and 64gb iPod Touch make a big difference? Is it worth upgrading from a 8GB 2g only for that speed bump?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think it's cool to have the keynote, it's really for hype purposes and such. For an event called Rock n Roll I was surprised they hired such a sleeper as Norah Jones to perform.

good point.

vtfootball

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
Richmond, VA
was hoping for subscription package

I have the 30gb video classic and even though it was not anticipated, I was hoping for a subscription package offering for itunes. I like so much different music that I can't afford to buy everything that I want. A subscription model would be so nice with itunes. I know a few folks that have the ZUNE with subscription zune pass and absolutely love it. I hate to say it, because I love my ipod and mac products, but I'm thinking about going that direction.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Likely because it probably doesn't sell well in retail stores. Makes sense to sell it online only.

I guess. They never seem to have a ton of them in my local Best Buy (which is where I got my current yellow nano), but who knows. That new green is gorgeous, so that may be the way I end up going this time.

ecopod

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well I'm happy

Girlfriend was needing a new Nano and this fits the bill almost perfectly (despite statements to the contrary there is no built in nike+, just a built in pedometer, still requires transmitter) and the radio/video is an excellent upgrade for this device.

I'm a touch user and I'm pretty sure they will be updated once the production issues are sorted out, hopefully in time for my next trip over the pond.

New iTunes is ace and many thanks to JKR801 for that.

Realizing my post is a tad non controversial I think I'll end by saying I'm glad the Beatles are not on iTunes, they would cheapen the whole set-up with their mock rock.

MacFanJeff

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
IL, USA
Wow, just wow.
I would bet 1 million dollars they discussed canceling the event.
It looks like there were production problems with the camera Touch, why they wouldn't update their flagship player is beyond me.
As Comic Book Guy would say, worst "event" ever!

Ummm, no they haven't. Keep dreaming.

Anyone who is buying "beats" isn't using a shuffle.

This will be know for what wasn't shown more then what was.

1. No Beatles (I could care less, but this would have been special today)
2. No camera for the Touch.
3. No update for the Classic (at least they didn't kill it).
4. Nothing for iPhone, sorry, when an incremental bug fix patch to the OS is your lead off, you got troubles.

Now the Nano looks to be something that could be huge for them, so I give them that.

I have one word for it, Meh.

I thought the same thing too as it was a real let down for me. Not one thing was a shock or anything interesting enough to get my attention. The lack of any BIG news for the Touch was the worst. I mean it is their flagship model and for them not to offer the camera or even add the FM Radio the cheap models get is mind numbing. If it was due to problems in making them, then they should've known months ago and fixed it for this years production.

Combine this with a so-so feel I have, as do some others, about Snow Leopard and Apple has REALLY not shown me much to cheer about.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
it does seem odd that people would "switch" to the Zune after, yes, a disappointing update on the touch. i really think the main selling point to the iPod touch market is the OS and the App store - neither of which you would get with a Zune, camera or not.

mercuryguy

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Tampa
Press for Apple is a good thing. Steve Jobs being back is big and will likely boost stock prices to day with him just being up there.

iTunes 9 is cool. Nano and Shuffle updates are cool. But the only thing I was waiting for is...wait for it...New iPod Touch. And...yeah that's all I have to say about that.

Processor boost? A touch shinier? 64GB? Come on Apple, you've got to do better than that. I was at least hoping for a camera... I had the decision between a Zune HD and a new iPod touch to replace my aging 5G 30GB iPod, but alas... it seems like my business is going to other way... :(

I agree I bought a 16GB Touch at the end of July. I was hoping to give to my wife and get the new Touch with a camera but looks like we have to wait. Damn you Apple!!

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
it does seem odd that people would "switch" to the Zune after, yes, a disappointing update on the touch. i really think the main selling point to the iPod touch market is the OS and the App store - neither of which you would get with a Zune, camera or not.

Well it's odd given that the iPod Touch is still a better device. The Zune has Tegra and OLED and all that stuff, and seems like a really nice device. But it doesn't have 64 GB or the app store or the community or the mindshare or the momentum that comes with being in the iTunes ecosystem.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Girlfriend was needing a new Nano and this fits the bill almost perfectly (despite statements to the contrary there is no built in nike+, just a built in pedometer, still requires transmitter) and the radio/video is an excellent upgrade for this device.

I'm a touch user and I'm pretty sure they will be updated once the production issues are sorted out, hopefully in time for my next trip over the pond.

New iTunes is ace and many thanks to JKR801 for that.

Realizing my post is a tad non controversial I think I'll end by saying I'm glad the Beatles are not on iTunes, they would cheapen the whole set-up with their mock rock.

I think you're wrong...

The apple site is a little confusing and contradicting http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features/fitness.html

BUT...

The thing that goes in the shoe is the "Transmitter" and Pedometer. It measures your steps and transmits it to the receiever that you used to plug into your iPod.

Since they said the iPod now has a built in Pedometer, this eliminates the need for there to be any kind of transmitting at all... There's no other product needed.

I expect they'll be either taking off the part about the thing that goes in your shoe or they'll update it to say with earlier models you need to get the shoes and transmitter. :D

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I want to say that this is yet another disappointing event from Apple. But after downloading iTunes 9, it seems like Apple has given some good efforts in the browsing experience. 3.1 for the iPhone was a nice update as well. I really like the genius app feature. Aside from this, I don't really care about new iPods since I already have an iPhone.

I was expecting, however, that there would be some new innovative features introduced in the iPod that can be carried over to the iPhone next year. But I feel that Apple has gotten pretty lazy with their iPod line-up this year. They added a camera to the Nano. They bump the speed and capacity of the Touch. I can see why people are disappointed. I hope that Apple is doing this so that there will be a major revamp of the iPod line next year...

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
so now iphone software is not really 3.1. it's actually 3.1.1. plus, new ipod touch (32GB, 64GB) can do voice control just like iphone 3G, 3Gs. it's only new feature on new ipod touch. I don't know it will be working with old touch by helping 3.1 software. but I don't think so.

3G can do voice control? Since when?

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
the more I think about it, the more confuseder I get about this whole ipod touch issue.

Lets go back to the (short-lived) early morning repricing of the iPod lineup. None of those (revised) prices bear resemblance to what actually happened.

Original Price/Morning Price/Keynote price
Nano 8 gb $149 / 129 / $149
Nano 16gb $199 / 149 / 179

Touch 8 gb $229 / 189 / 199
Touch 16 gb 299 / 249 / 299
Touch 32 gb 399 /279(!) / 399

What the heck was that all about??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.