Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Looks like they've reverted all the loops back to a lossy format, whereas the retail version were a lossless (hence over 50GB for all the Jam packs).

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Thanks for the post, but.....13.9 gb???? that's it??? am I missing something????? lol
I believe the content for Soundtrack Pro was huge. Like 20GB of sound effects, music beds, etc.
So, removing that, 13 GB sounds pretty close.

mrwheet

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2003
That they are just a score engraving software, similar to a word processor not a high technology cutting-edge software, yet cost approximately $600 makes me sad.

Yeah, particularly since they destroyed v7 with that horrific Microsoft-style "ribbon." It's absolutely hideous, and far from intuitive to use. Painful, really, since Sibelius has been my score editor of choice since v2... and there's no great replacement... And before all the Finale lovers come out of the woodwork; yes, I own Finale 2011... used it regularly in the late '90s... but I far prefer Sibelius... or at least I **did** prefer Sibelius (and I think maybe I still do).

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Yeah, particularly since they destroyed v7 with that horrific Microsoft-style "ribbon." It's absolutely hideous, and far from intuitive to use. Painful, really, since Sibelius has been my score editor of choice since v2... and there's no great replacement... And before all the Finale lovers come out of the woodwork; yes, I own Finale 2011... used it regularly in the late '90s... but I far prefer Sibelius... or at least I **did** prefer Sibelius (and I think maybe I still do).

Couldn't agree more. I'm sticking to 6.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Usually when a "Pro" app from Apple is in the $200 range, it's clearly intended for amateurs. They need to drop the word "Pro" now.

Unbelievably stupid comment.

So I just wasted $200 buying Logic Express. That's just great.

There's a very good chance their customer service can help you out. It's definitely worth a visit to an Apple Store or calling their main number for CS. That's less than 30 days; I'd hope they'd help you out there.

This is reaching new levels of absurdity.

The optional downloads for Logic 9 are- get this- 19GB.

NINETEEN GIGABYTES.

There was a really cool reason why Logic was distributed on 7 DVDs before. This would be that reason.

Does anyone else find this digital distribution to essentially be the epitome of "laziness" on Apple's end? By pushing their stuff out through the Mac App Store, they effectively force the end user to burn their own backups of the software they've paid for (because no sane mind would ever download 19GB of stuff then say "Hey, my disk drive will never crash on me!"). Oh, wait, your new MBA or Mini doesn't have an optical drive. You can either buy one or dump everything to a USB flash drive instead and pray that the flash drive doesn't go bad when you really need the software installation on it.

Nothing replaces the reliability of a good set of disks sitting on a shelf somewhere. Apple's discontinuing of everything they sell boxed software wise is just pure laziness on their half. It's not hip, it's not cool, and it's not futuristic.

-SC

It may not be hip or cool, but it's the way things are going, and IMO a better way in most cases. I don't want to sit there and shuffle through 7 disks to install something; I'd rather download it once, and create an image I can back up to and restore from. What happens when you lose your 7 disks or they become damaged for some reason? You're screwed.

+1

Pixelmator is rad, and a no brainer for the price unless you can afford photoshop..actually, depending upon what you do, you really dont need photoshop.

I completely respect this type of price modeling..Keeping with the logic theme- U-he pluggins Ace synth... the same power from other companies a while back cost loads

Pixelmator is definitely cool. I love the combination of iPhoto for organization and Pixelmator for editing.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
One thought that hasn't been discussed is Pro Tools is now $499 and no longer needs Avid Hardware to run. Maybe apple is just going balls out head to head with Avid and this is their sales strategy.

True (actually $699), but it should be mentioned that isn't the full version of Pro Tools. If you want features like surround mixing you need to pay an extra $2000 for a "toolkit". Kind of like "Pro Tools Pro". PT released version 10 a few weeks back and there was quite a ruckus over pricing - buying logic outright is much cheaper than just upgrading PT. And in the case of PT you just get one install.

The optional downloads for Logic 9 are- get this- 19GB.

There are already lots of sample libraries that are download purchases in that range. Cinesamples, Spitfire, SoundIron. And come on, guys doing audio recording are some of the MOST likely to already have extra drives.

Seriously, Logic 8 to 9 was a huge let down.

Don't forget 64 bit support, which was a game changer for me. And apps like PT still don't have.

So I guess SoundTrack Pro is discontinued then? :(
I wish i could transfer my logic license so I had a downloadable copy. Disc install of Logic is such a (4 hour long) pain.

STP has looked dead for ages, when FCX was released without it that was the biggest sign that it was gone.

The new 9.1.6 update includes a new menu option for downloading content. So you should be able to do a minimal install from disk and then download the rest if you want to do it that way.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Looks like they've reverted all the loops back to a lossy format, whereas the retail version were a lossless (hence over 50GB for all the Jam packs).

You're right, the old version were uncompressed AIF while the new download versions look like they're AAC 256.

EDIT: Logic 8 had uncompressed, boxed version of 9 was already lossy compressed.

Last edited:

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
You're right, the old version were uncompressed AIF while the new download versions look like they're AAC 256.

"Look like?"
Is this what the actual stats on the files are telling you? Or are you just making a wild assumption?
As I mentioned previously, removing the Soundtrack Pro content cuts the size of this package in half, if not further, and if you're seeing that the loops/samples are .m4a, then they're more likely Apple Lossless.

If you've actually seen "AAC 256kbps" in the metadata for these files, then I apologize.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
"Look like?"
Is this what the actual stats on the files are telling you? Or are you just making a wild assumption?

Does this answer your question? I said "looks like" because I only looked at a few of the thousands of files included (and because with .caf files it's not as quick to see bitrate and actual file format).

Attachments

• LogicContentDownload.png
    LogicContentDownload.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 735

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Does this answer your question? I said "looks like" because I only looked at a few of the thousands of files included (and because with .caf files it's not as quick to see bitrate and actual file format).

Hmm.
Sorry, yeah. Unfortunately, it looks like you are correct.
The .caf looked promising, but AAC and a 237kbps data rate...
Can you check and see if sampled sound are like this as well?
If they converted the samples into AAC in addition to the loops, then I'm bummed.

EDIT:
I just checked a Garageband loop installed on my computer, and that's ~256 AAC, too. So I guess they were already doing this anyway for the Garageband content.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
This is just GaragebandPro. Apple have shafted the pro market. There's no way I'll be able to do techno tunes on this and I've worked in the techno trade for over 30 years.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Hmm.
Sorry, yeah. Unfortunately, it looks like you are correct.
The .caf looked promising, but AAC and a 237kbps data rate...
Can you check and see if sampled sound are like this as well?
If they converted the samples into AAC in addition to the loops, then I'm bummed.

EDIT:
I just checked a Garageband loop installed on my computer, and that's ~256 AAC, too. So I guess they were already doing this anyway for the Garageband content.

Actually I was wrong before, Logic 9 already had lossy compressed caf. Those files were air in Logic 8. So probably the exact same files.

whoami

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
This is just GaragebandPro. Apple have shafted the pro market. There's no way I'll be able to do techno tunes on this and I've worked in the techno trade for over 30 years.

wtf are you talking about? i sincerely hope you're being sarcastic.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Call Apple. Good, not great, chance they'll help you out. Let us know how it goes.

It took some fanangling to get the right person, and they have told me to go speak to the manager of the store where I bought it, solicit a refund, and then use the cash to buy Logic Pro. The only real snag is if the manager says no, but apparently that probably won't happen. I can let you know how it pans out after I go there this evening.

However, I did get the decided impression that they would have been more than willing to help me out right there if I'd bought the software online rather than in a bricks-and-mortar store. The service person mentioned they had a policy about offering upgrades to people who have bought the software within a month of it being upgraded to a newer version.

So, the take away is that if you've bought Logic Express in the past month, you can likely get a free upgrade to Pro, but it's easier to do it if you bought from Apple online as opposed to in store.

...the more you know...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How much of the sample content comes with Mainstage?

All of it looking at the App Store info
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Any price reduction for upgrades? The upgrade price itself used to be $199.

ANd you were receiving a box of the same stuff as the $499 at a reduced price.

Pretty much the same price you are paying now for the same gig.

----------

By pushing their stuff out through the Mac App Store, they effectively force the end user to burn their own backups of the software they've paid for

-SC

or redownload it if you would rather or if your Flash drive fails.

that you have that choice means that Apple hasn't FORCED anything on you.

----------

That they didn't include with in the whole FCPX release after FCS3 also had the software was pretty much a sign that yes they were likely to cut it.

----------

I wouldn't discount the idea of Logic X coming soon. This may be the their way of getting ready for it. Move it to the app store and lower the price then LX at a higher price?

And then get screwed by the negative PR.

Apple's not that stupid. If they are going to release an LogicX it will be either an update on Logic9 or the same pricing. The former being the more likely (to avoid PR issues) if it is coming soon

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Me too. I bought Express on the 30th of Novenmber... not even 2 weeks ago. :(

Does anyone know if there's any recourse for people in my situation?

If you bought it less than 2 weeks ago you are still in the valid return period. Even if it is open, the managers will likely be fine with you returning it given the circumstances. So go and ask. You very likely won't get any further than "I bought this over the weekend and yeah I know I opened it already" before they say 'no problem'

remember this is apple software so they haven't paid some other party a cut that they are now eating. it makes them more willingly to be flexible with their stuff cause they aren't violating a contract with a 3rd party not to allow open box returns.

----------

This is just GaragebandPro.

It's been that way for the last couple of versions.

and you might not what to look at this.

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/in-action/

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
And then get screwed by the negative PR.

Apple's not that stupid. If they are going to release an LogicX it will be either an update on Logic9 or the same pricing. The former being the more likely (to avoid PR issues) if it is coming soon

What PR issues? Logic 9 is 2 years old. Does anyone really think it would be wrong to pop a release at any time now? Apple doesn't give advance warning and doesn't seem to apologize much. I don't think they give it a second thought. In any case I don't think it will pop until Jan or Feb if it is coming at all. That said, I actually congratulate Apple for fixing bugs instead of selling us new stripped down products with new skins.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
If you bought it less than 2 weeks ago you are still in the valid return period. Even if it is open, the managers will likely be fine with you returning it given the circumstances. So go and ask. You very likely won't get any further than "I bought this over the weekend and yeah I know I opened it already" before they say 'no problem'

remember this is apple software so they haven't paid some other party a cut that they are now eating. it makes them more willingly to be flexible with their stuff cause they aren't violating a contract with a 3rd party not to allow open box returns.

Yeas, that's the impression I got when I spoke to the Apple staff on the phone. All going well, I can just get the cash back and then go home and buy Pro from the App Store. At least, that's what I'm hoping. I'll know later on tonight. Thanks for your thoughts!

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008

No, it's Logic 9, the same version available for two years for $499. Have you used Logic before? It's quite possible to create any kind of music on it.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Anyone else think it would have been a nice gesture on Apple's part to issue a free update to Pro for Express users? As an Express user who's been waiting for Logic to make it to the app store to upgrade this really is a bit bittersweet. I've seen Logic Studio go for not much more than $400, so having purchased Express for $199 and then spending $199 again just to make the jump to Pro really isn't such an amazing deal. I like the Mac App Store, but in a lot of cases it really kind of sucks for existing users of applications.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Here's the difference between Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4229

There doesn't seem to be any great price break for what you get. They just changed the name of Logic Express to Logic Pro 9 and maybe tossed in a few goodies.

I would be interested if I knew how good the MIDI side is. Particularly MIDI editing. :confused:

There are a bunch of idiots demoing Logic on YouTube.:p

thestickman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL

I wish i could transfer my logic license so I had a downloadable copy. Disc install of Logic is such a (4 hour long) pain.

Make images of the DVD's, save them and if you need to reinstall use those instead. Saves a TON of time & works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.