Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fragmintz

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
You know Slim - if we can get enough people to join us we may have something here.

The breakage is certainly due to a design defect in this very expensive piece of equipment.

I just really want mine fixed for free.

Tell everyone you know that has experienced this same issue with their iMacs to post on this thread.

If we can show this happened to a lot of people then a class action suit against Apple to make these repairs for free would be a real possibility.

Reactions: uberdoku

degalsf

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
You know Slim - if we can get enough people to join us we may have something here.

The breakage is certainly due to a design defect in this very expensive piece of equipment.

I just really want mine fixed for free.

Tell everyone you know that has experienced this same issue with their iMacs to post on this thread.

If we can show this happened to a lot of people then a class action suit against Apple to make these repairs for free would be a real possibility.

I'm in -- mine did the same thing yesterday -- snap sound and it lost its support. 2 years almost to the day it was delivered, so out of warranty. I dont' mind the cost (assuming it is under $75 as stated earlier) but hate losing the machine for 4 or 5 days.

filipmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I have the same problem with the 27 inch mac from late 2012, I am still in Apple care, but I won't get it fixed, I use a small stick of wood between the big round piece where the electricity cable goes into the imac and connected the woord to the cable for safety.
I never move the screen so.
I don't want the complete mac taken apart and put together again for this and then maybe get other problems, the mac works fine.

bobsf

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
My 27" iMac screen has joined this group of defective screens after very, very gentle use and essentially no movement. The top portion now droops over which is very disappointing especially with the investment I made in what is supposed to be a premium product. Will probably prop it up somehow as I don't have the time to lose it and get it fixed!

matt g

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Same thing just happened to me. $2700 for a computer and the stand breaks... I did not get the extended warranty like an idiot. Any real quotes that someone paid to get it fixed? Im in on the class action...

tabat123

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2015
This just happened to my iMac ten minutes ago...what's ironic is that I was watching the most recent WWDC keynote at the time! I would also like to know what the cost has been for those who have had this taken care of... as I am out of warranty at this point. Thanks.

ThreatLevelMidnight

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
Same story here... I just received a refurbished Late 2013 27" iMac (a couple of days ago), and in the middle of the night, I heard a super loud crack sound. The next day I realized it was my stand that broke.

Apple's customer service said I can either take it in to a store for repair, since all refurbished apple products are covered with the same one year warranty as a new one, or I can send it back and have it replaced with an identical model, since I'm still within the first two week refund period.

I don't want them take the computer apart and possibly cause other unseen damage, and they said they can't guarantee I'll receive the same exact iMac configuration, if I were to send it back for an exchange. I really don't know what to do. I might just keep it and prop the display up with a stick or something. I bought a 27" i7 3TB fusion drive 4GB Nvidia GTX 780M. I'm worried they won't have that same one to send back to me, if I choose the exchange option, and they said they can't make any promises.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Add me to the club. I was just sitting here and it (late 2014 27" i7 iMac) snapped. So i figured I'd just confirm my AppleCare was up to date and OH CRAP it seems i forgot to buy AppleCare :eek::mad::( which is insane because i always buy it and tell everyone else to do the same... and it seems i didn't use my credit card so i can't use that coverage either. Pretty frustrating!

rameshms

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2015
Same issue here.. No apple care.. 1 year & 1 month old 27inch imac.. Do you think Apple will do this for free ?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Same issue here.. No apple care.. 1 year & 1 month old 27inch imac.. Do you think Apple will do this for free ?
There is a thread on apple discussions where some people are claiming it was covered for free. I will find out on Monday and will post back here (if I remember!).

Mark_E

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2015
Same story for me - but I ordered an adhesive kit, stripped down the iMac and fixed the stand with two M6 washers. It took me about an hour to do, and I just edited an iFixit page to add in step 55. Not too difficult, but do approach with patience and caution. I have the flimsy bit of plastic on my desk in front of me right now - depressing that in such a well built piece of kit the cheapest component I've ever seen was used at the point of greatest stress! Hope this helps someone :)

6rkpDUkRKoERecKA.medium
W4hbS1g3ZgRJcEFE.medium

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Same story for me - but I ordered an adhesive kit, stripped down the iMac and fixed the stand with two M6 washers. It took me about an hour to do, and I just edited an iFixit page to add in step 55. Not too difficult, but do approach with patience and caution. I have the flimsy bit of plastic on my desk in front of me right now - depressing that in such a well built piece of kit the cheapest component I've ever seen was used at the point of greatest stress! Hope this helps someone :)

6rkpDUkRKoERecKA.medium
W4hbS1g3ZgRJcEFE.medium
nice job with the pics!

I did end up forgetting to post back... The Apple Store took my machine on Monday and it was ready by the end of the week. They told me when i dropped it off that if the rear housing was the problem, it would be hundreds of dollars, but if it was the mechanism, they would cover it for free. It was indeed the mechanism so i got a nice free out of warranty repair. Thanks Apple!

mikecalderone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2015
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
I have a Late 2012 iMac 27" and I too have a broken stand. I was sitting in front of it last last night, and I heard a crack noise, then the monitor tilted down. I do not have warranty, and this sucks. I now have it propped up with a piece of wood.

Last edited:

Pompey67

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2014
Los Angeles
Imac02.JPG iMac01.JPG Regarding the 2013 27" iMac, and it leaning forward as if it's been in captivity too long...
I have swapped the clutch mechanism on 3 different 27" iMacs, all 2013.

Not to be confused with earlier models where you can insert a credit card in the back
to release the mechanism, or any modified Vesa mount, the above models were just factory standard.

The issue is a really poor design, where a high tension metal spring (2 actually) is held in place by a plastic coupler.
The plastic coupler (if that's the correct term), gives way, and the screen leans forward.
You can't adjust anything here. You Can't tighten ANYTHING to fix it.

I thought about super gluing the coupler back together, that's a really bad idea unless you want to take it all apart again.
Did I mention, you have to take the whole machine apart!

You have to purchase a whole new clutch assembly, just so it has the same crappy plastic couplers, then re-install the same cheap item, although the whole assembly is metal, and wait for it to break again. I was unable to find just the couplers on their own.

I attached 2 images.
• You can see that pretty much everything has to come out of the iMac to get to the hinge.
• The second photo shows the metal hinge, with the screw that holds the "coupler" in place. The high tension metal springs (1 each side) are held in place by the flimsy plastic couplers!

A new hinge assembly is approximately $80 -$100

Hope that helps (and makes sense).

K

Hey guys.

Here is the issue wi
Same thing just happened to me. $2700 for a computer and the stand breaks... I did not get the extended warranty like an idiot. Any real quotes that someone paid to get it fixed? Im in on the class action...

Last edited:

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
View attachment 577336 View attachment 577334 Regarding the 2013 27" iMac, and it leaning forward as if it's been in captivity too long...
I have swapped the clutch mechanism on 3 different 27" iMacs, all 2013.

Not to be confused with earlier models where you can insert a credit card in the back
to release the mechanism, or any modified Vesa mount, the above models were just factory standard.

The issue is a really poor design, where a high tension metal spring (2 actually) is held in place by a plastic coupler.
The plastic coupler (if that's the correct term), gives way, and the screen leans forward.
You can't adjust anything here. You Can't tighten ANYTHING to fix it.

I thought about super gluing the coupler back together, that's a really bad idea unless you want to take it all apart again.
Did I mention, you have to take the whole machine apart!

You have to purchase a whole new clutch assembly, just so it has the same crappy plastic couplers, then re-install the same cheap item, although the whole assembly is metal, and wait for it to break again. I was unable to find just the couplers on their own.

I attached 2 images.
• You can see that pretty much everything has to come out of the iMac to get to the hinge.
• The second photo shows the metal hinge, with the screw that holds the "coupler" in place. The high tension metal springs (1 each side) are held in place by the flimsy plastic couplers!

A new hinge assembly is approximately $80 -$100

Hope that helps (and makes sense).

K
Thanks for the great photos. My understanding is that Apple has developed a new replacement part and (certainly in my case) will repair these iMacs out of warranty.

Jumanji81

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2015
Brisbane, Queensland
2013 27 inch Imac, Boom! Mechanism just went, like an hour ago. Screen flops down. Reading all previous posts helped me a lot guys, thank you. i'll have to check my warranty and paper work.

Ballyrogan

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2015
My late 2013 iMac just make that ominous "crack" sound and the screen flopped down. So weird when you're just looking at it and not even touching it! It's rarely adjusted. Can't tell you how disappointed I am to read all these posts and confirm how shoddy the engineering is in what I've always considered a quality machine.

Jumanji81

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2015
Brisbane, Queensland
It's still a quality machine, i'm guessing the mechanism was originally designed for the smaller iMac and all the issues seems to be coming from the 27 inch version which is a lot heavier. Apparently apple has already replace it with a stronger design.

Tanda

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Same problem here with my iMac 27-inch Late 2013.
Just came home and noticed the screen was tilted down. When I tilt the screen back into position it plops right back down, no friction at all.

Will call it in on Monday and see what Apple says about it.

jrmedia

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
Hi, I have a classroom with 40 iMacs and recently (after 1 1/2 years) of use, of Course OUT OF WARRANTY some units are showing this problem of broken hinges. Fast and cheap solution... Tape and Clip

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,684
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,082
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,658

skyward

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Well what do you know...my hinge is busted also. I hardly touch it. I have a 30" Samsung SyncMaster 305T that stands shoulder to shoulder on the left. It can hold it somewhat, but otherwise, the iMac screen bows all the way forward. I have the 3 yr apple care plan. I'm a DIY guy, but looks like I'll have to bring it in like everyone else.

bobsf

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
I have experienced the same issue as well with very little use or movement of the screen. One Store said they would fix it, bit it's 200 miles away so they told me tell the local manager that and they were confident that they would fix it as well. Otherwise, I will be very dissappointed!

benjai

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2009
Haha I just got this as well! Mine went a couple months ago but I just propped it up because I couldn't be bothered to take it in for repair.

Called apple last friday as I couldn't find any genius appointments online, they got an authorised reseller to pick it up on monday, got a call yesterday saying that they fixed it and would be back with me today. Awesome!

Fingers crossed they haven't botched anything putting it all back together. But I must say the whole process was really straightforward. All I had to do was bring it in to work so they could pick it up from me. This is in London.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.