Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildbrat

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2020
My iMac is a late 2013 and came across this thread/site after searching when I discovered this morning that my screen would no longer hold a tilt. Some would say I am lucky for it not to have happened until now but at the same time it sucks because it's past the 5 year coverage point. I didn't do anything or move the monitor at all; I noticed my screen was hunched over just now when I entered the room. Has anyone had this issue happen lately??? Just curious if the price to fix/adjust is still "reasonable" (under $50 per a previous post). Thank you!

samuellavoie

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My hinge on my 2012 iMac was changed for free in 2017. No cost and really quick turnaround at the Apple Store. The older model’s hinge are known to be problematic. You should get it fixed for free.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
1596593121131.png

Plastic are known for aging overtime and becoming brittle.
Hope you all got it fix for free.

Reactions: samuellavoie

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2015
Hey guys.

My one month old 27" iMac (about a month old) at work seems to have developed a loose hinge so that the screen always tilts at its most downward. It still tilts up and down, but will always return to that position by itself.

I've booked an appointment at a local iStore for tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone knew the kind of work that would have to go into fixing it - how long would it be out of action?

Is there just something that needs to be tightened or will there be way more labour involved?

Thanks for any advice!
after a couple of years mine broke hauled to the moron store they fixed it for free..design defect apparently ...free is not exactly free 100 miles round trip in daytona 500 traffic-

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Now it's my turn to have 2 x iMac 27" with loose hinges (or broken, I don't know yet).
One is iMac 2009, one is iMac 2011.
I'm gonna open them to see if it fixable by myself or not.
The shop have just quoted me 30$ for the fix.
If they are the same as iMac 2012 ~ 1017, then the fixing part (just a piece of steel with two round holes) are sold for 5$/piece.
Let's see how it works out for me.

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2015
Hey guys.

My one month old 27" iMac (about a month old) at work seems to have developed a loose hinge so that the screen always tilts at its most downward. It still tilts up and down, but will always return to that position by itself.

I've booked an appointment at a local iStore for tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone knew the kind of work that would have to go into fixing it - how long would it be out of action?

Is there just something that needs to be tightened or will there be way more labour involved?

Thanks for any advice!
I had to take mine to the moron store....my understanding a plastic hinge inside failure ..it was on apple but a hundred mile round trip drive in NASCAR traffic.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.