Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Pah! beggars will have iPhones next and all exclusivity will have gone.

There will be begging apps that show the best spots for beggers to go to.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
For people still not getting why Apple would do this, it's simple. It's the same reason they did the iPod Mini back in the days, the same reason they're doing the iPad Mini now and it all goes down to a single word that's become one of the biggest factors in trying to run a healthy business :

Growth.

Take that word in. Learn what it means and try to see Apple's moves as aiming towards that goal. Profitability, to investors and the markets, means little with the absence of growth. A company can be profitable yet be said to be "dying" if it's not showing it. For Apple, the last few year's have been about utilizing the iPhone to make this growth happen, and its come to the point where the iPhone is the main driver behind their growth and revenues (over 50%!). The US market has been a big influence in this and is their primary market for the iPhone.

Now consider this other tidbit :

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-smartphone-market-2012-9
Although real-world data rarely follows a curve as smooth as the textbook diffusion curve above, it seems reasonable to conclude that 2011 and 2012 will mark the peak years for smartphone growth in the U.S.

net-adds.png

The smartphone platform is about to reach maturity in many first world markets like the US. To continue on a path of growth, Apple must open itself up to newer markets or different segments. That, or it needs to kill off competitors. In light of all of this, if you still don't understand the iPod Mini strategy behind these "cheaper iPhone" rumors, I don't know what to tell you, those are just the market realities.

It doesn't matter if its this year or the next or in 2015, at some point, Apple will open up the iPhone platform to other market segments and other markets in order to reach a much broader audience and sustain their growth. They will milk it until mobile phones start declining and then will move on to tapping other markets to keep their growth going (like they are moving away from the iPod as it is a shrinking market, which can be witnessed in the lesser emphasis they put on the line-up).

----------

Pah! beggars will have iPhones next and all exclusivity will have gone.

The exclusivity was gone when Apple started selling multi-million units per quarter. Owning anything Apple hasn't been an "exclusive club" since Steve came back and brought the company back to health.

If anything, the "Apple exclusivity" was killing the company. You really want that back ? I sure don't. I prefer healthy, mass-market, "everybody and their mother owns Apple stuff" healthy Apple to "I'm some kind of freak that owns an Apple product and you can't" dying Apple anyday of the week.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Plastic, if it is used, does not sacrifice "build quality". Aluminum and glass don't garantee "Build quality" either. That's just a ludicrously snob line thrown around Apple Internet forums. Is your Apple TV "Cheap" and "shoddy" as far as build quality goes ? Is your Time Capsule "plasticky" ? Is your power adapter for your MacBook "flimsy" ?

Frankly, the "plastic" hate is just the new form of snobbery. I tend to dismiss the "plastic haters" outright because they still think of Apple as some kind of exclusive brand, a "BMW". Sorry, you don't get 30% of the smartphone market as a BMW, you're just another one of the mass market buys at that point. Apple is the Honda to Samsung's Toyota and Motorola's Nissan.

You're right. Not using plastic is a marketing differentiator though. In marketing, perception is everything, and I think it's fair to say that plastic is perceived as being cheap, because we throw away plastic packaging every day. A plastic iPhone wouldn't bother me too much (my phone is still a 3G!), but the designer in me very much likes my aluminium unibody MBP. The question is, how much extra per phone does the exclusive use of aluminium and glass cost us and would we be prepared to pay it if we knew?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
You don't get an iPhone for free. Not any iPhone. If you want to know what any iPhone costs, go to Apple's store and check out the price. You can of course get an iPhone 4 without paying any money at that point, which means the carrier is giving you a loan, for which you are paying huge interest every month for the next 24 months.

Why don't people understand this?? There is no free ride.

Just goes to show the power of advertising.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It's quite funny listening to people bitch and moan about how "Apple has lost its way" and "Apple will never use plastic".

People need to grow the hell up. Apple is a consumer electronics company. Not a cult. They will make and sell whatever makes them money, and rightly so. If the market wants a low cost iPhone, they will make a low cost iPhone.

Dont start kidding yourself that Apple have some sort of superiority in their decisions, because they really dont - they just spend a hell of a lot of time and money on marketing.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
So what ? It's still a low cost option for those wanting to get an Apple device for MP3 playback. A lot of Apple's success in the PMP market was due to Apple releasing the iPod Mini, Nano and Shuffles. The Classic wasn't that big of a seller compared to these less expensive models.
I'm not arguing that it's a low cost option (it is), just that Apple devices are usually among the most expensive in any given category. Case in point, in the bare-bone 2GB mp3 player category, the iPod shuffle is about 3-5 times the price of the competition.

Is there an equivalent to that category in the smartphone market place?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

I never said "more than anyone else" ;) Just said they spend a lot.

As I recall their figures used to be much higher, but they brought the marketing 'in house'.

It's also a bit of a misleading graph. Samsung is made to look like they flush money down the toilet there, but they have a massive amount more products to work with.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm not arguing that it's a low cost option (it is), just that Apple devices are usually among the most expensive in any given category. Case in point, in the bare-bone 2GB mp3 player category, the iPod shuffle is about 3-5 times the price of the competition.

What makes you think Apple wouldn't follow the same model with a low-cost iPhone ?

Some of you guys have waaaaaay too much of a binary view of things. Thank god the people running Apple understand the market dynamics better.

Is there an equivalent to that category in the smartphone market place?

Yes. Plenty of models that have smartphone level features (running Android), but in both smaller form factors, with lesser internals that run cheaper prices to be affordable units even off-contract (think 150-250$ price range unsubsidized).

Then there's the whole pre-paid Smartphone segment...

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Merge 3gs with current iPod touch. Use parts hit hit whatever price point. Would still be good.

I thought the old plastic MacBooks were great machines. They were still Apple-ish.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Do you own a unibody MBP? If so, wouldn't it hurt just a bit if it turned into plastic one day? :)

I've owned 3 over the years, the latest one my 15" Retina.

And no, the choice of material in the products I can choose to buy or not does not harm me neither physically nor mentally. I have a lot more important things to worry about in life than what my laptop is made out of.

Again, does it hurt you that your 85w power adapter for your MacBook is made out of plastic ?

Your life must be just perfect if you are really hurt by this kind of stuff.

Renzatic

Suspended
Do you own a unibody MBP? If so, wouldn't it hurt just a bit if it turned into plastic one day? :)

It would kinda suck, yeah. Aluminium does make for some slick looking hardware, plus it's great for building computers out of since it disapates heat so well.

...but it's not anywhere closer to what I'd call an expensive material. Pound for pound, a block of polycarbonate plastic costs a little bit more than a chunk of solid aluminium. That's what some of us are arguing against here. Whenever someone pops up and bags on some random phone because it's made out of "cheap" plastic, as opposed to the high class, premium aluminium metals Apple likes using, they're only exposing their ignorance. There is no real difference in quality between the two.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Dont start kidding yourself that Apple have some sort of superiority in their decisions, because they really dont - they just spend a hell of a lot of time and money on marketing.

Not nearly as much as Samsung, who spent something like $12B on marketing last year (and it's pretty obvious most of that spending was on their Galaxy line of products).

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
If Apple can sell an iPod touch at profit for around $300 they can make a cheap iPhone. A GSM radio does not cost that much.

----------

(and it's pretty obvious most of that spending was on their Galaxy line of products).

And yet here you are, guessing, without anything to base your assumption on.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I've owned 3 over the years, the latest one my 15" Retina.

And no, the choice of material in the products I can choose to buy or not does not harm me neither physically nor mentally. I have a lot more important things to worry about in life than what my laptop is made out of.

Again, does it hurt you that your 85w power adapter for your MacBook is made out of plastic ?

Your life must be just perfect if you are really hurt by this kind of stuff.

You seem to want to turn this into a fight (which I've had with you before and would like to avoid if that's okay.)

But I will say this… The purely logical side of my brain might be happy with a plastic MBP. The same part of my brain might be fine if all houses were built of red brick (I mean, who really needs all those interesting materials and colours?), if plants reproduced without decorating the world with flowers, and if women looked like men. That part of my brain might have even bought an eMac back in the day. :eek: However, there's another part of me that appreciates the design and choice of material that went into my MBP, and yes, I would be just a little bit sad if it turned into plastic. (Note: 'little bit sad' ≠ 'really hurt'!)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Not nearly as much as Samsung, who spent something like $12B on marketing last year (and it's pretty obvious most of that spending was on their Galaxy line of products).

It is ? What about their TV line-up ? A lot of marketing there... not to mention the bazillion other markets/segments Samsung operates in.

Can you provide a source for the 12B$ figure and its breakdown ? Was this only for Samsung Mobile US ? Samsung Mobile worldwide ? The whole of the Samsung conglomerate ?

lomby

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
Australia
I don't understand how people can say that iPhones are *overly* expensive where they are. Here in Australia, the iPhone outright (iPhone 5, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB respectively) for $799, $899 and $999. There are plenty of people here that are willing to pay that price for an iPhone.

Currently on my 24 month contract (12 months in), I pay $15 a month for the iPhone (4S 16GB) (15*24=$360) plus my contract per month.

By all means, i'm not trying to have a rant but this is my opinion. But some people in some countries think that the price of their contracts are too high, really situate yourselves in other peoples positions, put it into context. Thats when you realise what you take for granted. i'm all for a cheaper iPhones, so other people can experience the luxury of having one.

I'm blessed everyday for having a roof over my head and am nourished.This is coming from a 17 year old. I work to pay off my iPhone and use it for my senior studies in High school. I really hope i didn't 'step on anyones toes'.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
debunked, and the possibly un-debunked?
Rumours are only debunked when Apple releases a product that proves the rumour false. Because only the mouth of Apple can prove a rumour true or false with no shadow of a doubt.

But it's still fun to read all the rumours.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
It would kinda suck, yeah. Aluminium does make for some slick looking hardware, plus it's great for building computers out of since it disapates heat so well.

...but it's not anywhere closer to what I'd call an expensive material. Pound for pound, a block of polycarbonate plastic costs a little bit more than a chunk of solid aluminium. That's what some of us are arguing against here. Whenever someone pops up and bags on some random phone because it's made out of "cheap" plastic, as opposed to the high class, premium aluminium metals Apple likes using, they're only exposing their ignorance. There is no real difference in quality between the two.

You seem to be making a good argument for sticking with aluminium! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.