Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
It seems there is a behavior difference between Intel and M1 MacBooks regarding powering on when connected to power?

I have a 13" 2019 MacBook Pro (4 TB ports). When the MacBook Pro is off, and I connect it to my USB-C monitor (soon to be Apple Cinema Display), with the lid closed, the MacBook Pro turns on. I don't have to open up the lid, I just magnetically attach the USB-C cable from my display and it boots and outputs image to the display. This is what I like!

I can't seem to get the same behavior with my M1 MacBook Air. Is there anyway to turn on an Apple Silicon MacBook without opening the lid?

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I have the same question. Just got a nice vertical stand for my MBP M1 to save space, and it's connected to a Samsung USB-C 4K screen that provides 90W PD charging to the MacBook. I've tried turning off the screen and powering down the MBP, then put in my stand and turn the monitor on but the MBP M1 does not turn on. Total pain in the you-know-what to have to take it out of the stand and open it to turn it on...

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I have the same question. Just got a nice vertical stand for my MBP M1 to save space, and it's connected to a Samsung USB-C 4K screen that provides 90W PD charging to the MacBook. I've tried turning off the screen and powering down the MBP, then put in my stand and turn the monitor on but the MBP M1 does not turn on.
Never thought I'd actually appreciate a feature from Intel-based Macs. Ugh.

Hopefully we can get this sorted out, as my Intel MacBook is due to be returned via lease, and will be replaced with an M1-based version. Opening it up just to login is a small, but frustrating, inconvenience. Like you, I have my MacBook in a vertical stand, not in easy reach of my chair/desk (saves space).

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I don't have to open up the lid, I just magnetically attach the USB-C cable from my display and it boots and outputs image to the display. This is what I like!
I suspect your issue is the magnetic connection, since it’s not an officially supported accessory.

My M1 iPad Pro sometimes refuses to charge and complains about an unsupported accessory when I have a usb-c magnetic connector attached to the magic keyboard.

While the magnetic connector may have worked with your intel MacBook, the Apple M1 system is probably unhappy about it.

Try without the connector, and see if it powers on as expected.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
My MacBook Pro 14 inch DOES turn on when I connect it. In fact, I actually hate it
Thanks for confirming. Strange the behavior is different between M1 Air and MBP 14".

I suspect your issue is the magnetic connection, since it’s not an officially supported accessory.

My M1 iPad Pro sometimes refuses to charge and complains about an unsupported accessory when I have a usb-c magnetic connector attached to the magic keyboard.

While the magnetic connector may have worked with your intel MacBook, the Apple M1 system is probably unhappy about it.

Try without the connector, and see if it powers on as expected.
I tried with a direct connection to the Apple Studio Display. When I plug in from the ASD to the M1 Air, you get the power "bloop" but nothing turns on. You have to physically open the lid to start a boot/get an image on the ASD. Not the same with the Intel machines.

Also, I believe you get those "Unsupported accessory" errors, but you should try with the ones I linked. They seem to behave better than most... passing full 5K/6K to both my ASD and my XDR.

Reactions: StudioMacs

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
My MacBook Pro 14 inch DOES turn on when I connect it. In fact, I actually hate it
I have a MBP 14" M1. Are you using the Magsafe connection or USB-C? Mine does not turn on when I connect a USB-C charger. I've not even unboxed the Magsafe adapter and cable as the 90W USB-C charger I carry does everything, for everything.

EDIT: If the MBP14 lid is OPEN, then connecting even a USB-C charger DOES turn it on. The vertical stands, though, have a closed MBP in them and connecting a charger does not turn them on.

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I have my MacBook Pro usually attached / charging via usb-c on my dell display. Sometimes I use it from the couch and when I turn it off completely and attach it to the display to charge, I can hear the boot up sound. The same actually happens when I have the Mac off, closed and I unplug the cable, I can hear the boot up sound again.

The weirdest thing is when I have the laptop closed (not completely turned off), still attached to the dell display and I turn of the display, the Mac will continuously do a DING DING DING DING sound, until I remove the usb-c cable

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I have my MacBook Pro usually attached / charging via usb-c on my dell display. Sometimes I use it from the couch and when I turn it off completely and attach it to the display to charge, I can hear the boot up sound. The same actually happens when I have the Mac off, closed and I unplug the cable, I can hear the boot up sound again.

The weirdest thing is when I have the laptop closed (not completely turned off), still attached to the dell display and I turn of the display, the Mac will continuously do a DING DING DING DING sound, until I remove the usb-c cable
I hear a little "bing" noise when I connect USB-C power with lid closed (the sound that it is charging). I do not hear the full-on startup "bong" sound. With it OFF, and lid closed, you hear the "bong" startup sound when you connect it to power? If you open the lid, is it instantly on?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Checking back in now that my 14" MBP has arrived.

Unfortunately I cannot find any way to power on the laptop without opening the lid. I've even tried connecting/reconnecting MagSafe.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Checking back in now that my 14" MBP has arrived.

Unfortunately I cannot find any way to power on the laptop without opening the lid. I've even tried connecting/reconnecting MagSafe.
Sorry to read you're having this issue. It looks like you may have to settle for sleep mode or opening the lid.

On a selfish note, I finally ordered the magnetic adapters you linked to above. Hopefully I don't get the unsupported accessory warning from those, and I saw good reviews on Amazon in addition to your comments.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

AlexandreRocha

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2022
I have the exactly same problem here. I have a 3d printed support that fits my MacBook Pro 14 and connect to power and display, with my old 13 intel MBP 2018 it automatically start when powered (with the lid closed or opened), but now with the 14 M1 it just do the DING sound, but never start if the lid keep closed.

I hear a little "bing" noise when I connect USB-C power with lid closed (the sound that it is charging). I do not hear the full-on startup "bong" sound. With it OFF, and lid closed, you hear the "bong" startup sound when you connect it to power? If you open the lid, is it instantly on?
If I open the lid, it instantly boot.

Anyone could work around it to make it work with the lid closed?

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I know this probably sounds a bit ridiculous, but has anyone contacted Apple about this behavior and gotten an official response from them? An additional way to address the issue is to go to apple.com/feedback and send a report to them that way. This sounds like something that could be addressed via a firmware update.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I know this probably sounds a bit ridiculous, but has anyone contacted Apple about this behavior and gotten an official response from them? An additional way to address the issue is to go to apple.com/feedback and send a report to them that way. This sounds like something that could be addressed via a firmware update.
I have not, but I'm giving up :(

Since moving from an Intel MBP to Apple Silicon, I really don't mind leaving it "on" all week, and just rebooting once a week or so.

Deltajockey

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone has resolved this issue. i have the same problem since migrating to a 16 inch M1 Pro MBP. I've just bought a studio display thinking that it might work, being a more intelligent system.

But no joy. The problem with just putting it to sleep is I use it for music production with Logic, and I have external audio USB interfaces plugged in which draw power even when asleep, so I end up flattening the battery if I don't get back to it for a few days. I can't keep unplugging peripherals every time I put it to sleep. I have my whole system powered down completely, so that monitors, keyboards etc are also off.

This is very inconvenient, and such an obvious need for some people.

kgunnulfsen

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2023
Any updates on this? Have tried every setting possible and it just seems we are just waiting for Apple?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Instead of shutting your MacBook down, just put it to sleep. Problem solved.

I don't even put it to sleep myself, my MacBook does it automatically and as soon as i move the mouse or press a key, the monitor and the MacBook is instantly on.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Instead of shutting your MacBook down, just put it to sleep. Problem solved.

I don't even put it to sleep myself, my MacBook does it automatically and as soon as i move the mouse or press a key, the monitor and the MacBook is instantly on.
Not the same thing :)

Especially when traveling between my home Wi-Fi and corporate LAN/VPN. The MacBook needs a full restart/shutdown in order to properly reconnect.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone has resolved this issue. i have the same problem since migrating to a 16 inch M1 Pro MBP. I've just bought a studio display thinking that it might work, being a more intelligent system.

But no joy. The problem with just putting it to sleep is I use it for music production with Logic, and I have external audio USB interfaces plugged in which draw power even when asleep, so I end up flattening the battery if I don't get back to it for a few days. I can't keep unplugging peripherals every time I put it to sleep. I have my whole system powered down completely, so that monitors, keyboards etc are also off.

This is very inconvenient, and such an obvious need for some people.
Don’t you just also leave it connected to power in this case? I have a similar setup with an m1 air and I just leave power connected while interface, keyboards, external ssd etc are connected.

But I also have been in the habit of leaving my Macs in sleep mode practically forever, I rarely turn them off. I have a 2013 MacBook Air that has been on pretty much continuously for the past decade. It can hold a charge for weeks in sleep mode, with no peripherals attached anyway.

Haso4

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2022

Do you put it to sleep or how does it work that it boots up with you I have also a 14 inch MacBook Pro but mine does not boot up when the lid is closed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.