Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Purple_

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2023
I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro 16" M3 Max + Dell UE3223QE monitor+dock

Sometimes it wakes up fine by just pressing a key on the keyboard, but if I've fully turned off my monitor prior with the power switch, I can't for the life of me get the MacBook to wake up without having to open and close the lid.
The MacBook is in sleep mode, and the keyboard is turned on (indicated by the backlight of the keys being illuminated)

I never had this issue on my Intel MacBook Pro (16", 2019)

I suspect this is a security feature where accessories aren't allowed to interact with the device without prior user interaction. (You see this when you connect a USB device and MacOS asks if you want to connect this device before it actually works). I don't want to disable it though, it's a beneficial security feature... I just want to whitelist my monitor lol

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I suspect this is a security feature where accessories aren't allowed to interact with the device without prior user interaction. (You see this when you connect a USB device and MacOS asks if you want to connect this device before it actually works). I don't want to disable it though, it's a beneficial security feature... I just want to whitelist my monitor lol

I think you're onto something here.

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
It seems there is a behavior difference between Intel and M1 MacBooks regarding powering on when connected to power?

I have a 13" 2019 MacBook Pro (4 TB ports). When the MacBook Pro is off, and I connect it to my USB-C monitor (soon to be Apple Cinema Display), with the lid closed, the MacBook Pro turns on. I don't have to open up the lid, I just magnetically attach the USB-C cable from my display and it boots and outputs image to the display. This is what I like!

I can't seem to get the same behavior with my M1 MacBook Air. Is there anyway to turn on an Apple Silicon MacBook without opening the lid?
same here…lid open/closed IF connected to the power, the Macbook Pro turn itself ON!?
I have the latest  updates

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.