Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBSDGuy

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
I don't think Scannerz is ugly, it's just utilitarian. So what? All updates to their products are free of charge, whereas others charge almost half what the original price of the product was, and they always manage to have some sort of critical update every year or every six months.

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
There was an interesting discussion on ArsTechnica somewhat along these lines.

SSDs need to completely overwrite their cells before they can be re-written again, and defragmentation doesn't exist. What does this mean?

It means to some extent tools like TechTool Pro and Drive Genius are heading toward obsolescence. SSD "clean up" routines kill the ability to recover data, so that function's gone. Defragging on an SSD is not needed (and debatable if it was ever needed).

Smaller specific tools like Disk Warrior, Scannerz, smartmon tools are still of use, but more expensive and well known tools may be on their way out.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… all I could tell was that this more or less extended SMART for stuff like Disk Utility. …

OS X normally can not read S.M.A.R.T. data from all types of S.M.A.R.T.-enabled hardware.

The kernel extension allows S.M.A.R.T.-enabled software to work with S.M.A.R.T. data on a wider variety of hardware.

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I updated the entry for Scannerz today because they added a product called Phoenix to the line up.

NOTE TO CURRENT SCANNERZ USERS:

This update is free, so if you own the current Scannerz w/FSE or FSE-Lite the update is free because it's now part of the package. Check your e-mail. That's how I found out. Scannerz-Lite users are out of luck.

Phoenix is a cool tool because it can extract the core operating system without the need for media and put it on another drive or you can create what they call a Phoenix Boot Volume, which acts almost like an original operating system install. The only complaint I'd have is that the progress bar is task based rather that copy based, so if you're cloning something and it hits a large folder, like the Users or Applications folder it looks like it's locked up. Aside from that it works great.

Also I noticed that Techtool Pro has a new release, but it looks to me like it's just a version number enhancement that you have to pay for. I don't use that tool so maybe someone familiar with it can provide details.

alvarnell

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
Mountain View, CA
In Super User: How to check whether there is bad sector on a USB harddisk on OS X?

In an answer there:

Quote:
OS X SAT SMART Driver

… a kernel driver for Mac OS X external USB or FireWire drives …
I've been trying this and it is working for some externals, but not all. It would still appear to be in pre-release, but it's worth noting that Smart Utilities now includes it as an optional install and TTP may be on the verge of doing something similar.

Many of the comments here concerning S.M.A.R.T. monitoring have been correct in that most utilities simply report out on one or a few of the parameters stored on the hard drive, but the advantage of a few, such as Smart Utility, are that they then apply their own proprietary analysis routine to predict over time if there is evidence of eminent failure.

TheBSDGuy

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
If you use Mountain Lion or Lion, the "Info" button on Disk Utility reports more SMART status than it used to, FWIW. Before all it said was "verified" now it gives a more detailed report.

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
The guys who make Scannerz just updated the product again so I modified the description to add Performance Probe, which is the new add-on tool. I use this tool which is why I'm aware of it.

It would be nice if someone who uses some of the other tools could add info about some of the other tools like Drive Genius or Tech Tool Pro. I haven't used Tech Tool Pro in over 5 years so I don't feel qualified to comment on it but I do know it's been updated several times since I last used it.

MacRobert10

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2012
I did a comparison test of Scannerz vs. TechTool Pro on a known good drive. Scannerz completed it in almost half the time. I did a test on a drive with a known bad sector. Scannerz picked up the bad sector as well as several weak sectors preceding it. TechTool Pro didn't even see it. Even the system's log files indicated there was an error.

I assume the strength of something like TechTool Pro is that it does other things besides drive tests, right?

runswithsizzers

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2014
I did a comparison test of Scannerz vs. TechTool Pro on a known good drive. Scannerz completed it in almost half the time. I did a test on a drive with a known bad sector. Scannerz picked up the bad sector as well as several weak sectors preceding it. TechTool Pro didn't even see it. ---(snip)...

Good to know. Can anyone report on Scannerz vs. Checkmate?

Or maybe you just did. It's not clear to me if Checkmate is just the disk part of TTP or a completely unrelated utility.

I have an external drive (Glyph) which I use for for back ups (SuperDuper on one partition, Time Machine on the other). Because I've been getting frequent errors with my backups, I sent the drive back to Glyph. After 3 weeks of testing, they found no problems. I'm guessing their procedures are of a higher level than what I could do myself with the utilities mentioned here?

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
I ...

... had mixed success with DiskWarrior and DriveGenius, but I definitely can recommend Disktools Pro:

http://www.macwareinc.com/products/mac-utilities/disktools-pro.html

I used it running 10.6, 10.8 and 10.9, and it helped me occasionally.

From the webpage:

Mac defrag to defragment your files
Create bootable Mac backups
Find and fix bad disk sectors on your Mac
Repair volumes
Receive S.M.A.R.T. alerts
Utility to test disk integrity
Benchmark your volumes
Analyze drive capacity
Repair damaged preference files
Monitor your CPU
Find and repair broken aliases
And more...
Schedule
Easily schedule when to defragment files, repair bad sectors and backup your volume. Many utilities hog your system resources when running, and cause problems if you are trying to work on your computer during the process. DiskTools Pro allows you to run these critical tools overnight or at any other time that you are away from your Mac. You can even set it to shutdown or put your system to sleep when complete.

Defragment Your Files
The more you use your Mac, the more your files get fragmented. This creates more work for your computer as it puts files back together again for use. DiskTools Pro safely defragments your files to keep your Mac up to speed.

Create Bootable Backups
Easily copy an entire volume to another destination to keep your system safe. DiskTools Pro creates bootable backups of your hard disk that can be used to create disk clones, move your running operating system from one disk to another (for example, when replacing a hard disk), or to backup system folders individually.

Supports Multiple Volumes
Run DiskTools Pro on as many volumes as you want simultaneously. This will save you time from having to run tests or repair multiple volumes one at a time.

Fix Bad Sectors
Easily find and fix defective sectors on volumes or in individual files

Repair Volumes
Quick repair when your applications, files or system are not working right QuickBench®
Measure the read and write speeds over an entire local storage device

S.M.A.R.T. Alerts
Receive an alert if a drive is about to fail so you can save your files or backup

Stress Test
Test disk integrity to make sure it can handle your workload and remain stable

No Boot CD
Run nearly every tool on your boot volume without having to un-mount it first

Benchmark testing

Test data transfer integrity

Analyze drive capacity to free space on your Mac

Repair and maintenance logs

Fix and repair multiple volumes simultaneously

Run tools on startup volume without a boot CD

I also would include Onyx, as it streamlines some OSX maintenance tasks:

http://www.titanium.free.fr

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I updated this post to include the following changes:

• Addition of Disk Tools Pro as described by giffut (Feb. 7, 2014)
  • Changes in prices to Scannerz line of products

I'm not at all familiar with Disk Tools Pro so I put a note in the description to refer to the write up by giffut. Scannerz has a new diagnostics mode, so I put some details in about that too. Their prices also went up a few bucks.

I didn't put Checkmate or Onyx in because I see them more as system monitoring tools and not really being drive related tools.

tvalleau

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
directory repair

I should point out that both DriveGenius and TechTool Pro have a directory rebuild feature, similar to what is achieved by DiskWarrior. In my own experience DW uses a superior technique(s) to the other two, but in the initial posting here, that feature was left off both of them, and I thought I should correct that.

Further, Alsoft has had 5 years to make DW into a 64-bit app, and has failed to do so. For those of us with large hard drives and many files (in my case, over 4M) the 32-bit limitation to memory causes DW to fail, and it is unable to work on such drives at all.

Both DriveGenius and TechTool Pro are 64-bit applications, and will successfully work on larger, more full drives. I'd prefer DW of course, but these two are better than nothing when a big drive goes south.

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I'll update the post with that information. The last copy of TTP that I had was for PowerPC systems and I don't think it had any type of file recovery on it at that time. Maybe it did and I just didn't need it or I've forgotten. That's a long time ago.

Thanks for the input.:)

tvalleau

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
I'll update the post with that information. The last copy of TTP that I had was for PowerPC systems and I don't think it had any type of file recovery on it at that time. Maybe it did and I just didn't need it or I've forgotten. That's a long time ago.

Thanks for the input.:)

Note that it's not "file recovery" I mentioned... it's directory reconstruction. They are two different things.

n6ac

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Last edited:

TheBSDGuy

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
A lot of the "recovery software" will be 100% useless on SSDs because of the way the drives store data. On an HD the contents of a block are still intact even after being deleted, at least for a while, because all the controller does is mark them as being available for re-write. Recovery can take place because these blocks can be read.

On an SSD if it's marked for deletion, it's usually completely removed from available blocks and then the block(s) are purged to binary zeros before being put back in service. This could happen at any time, particularly if TRIM/GC are enabled to occur as a background process.

Likewise, defragmenting an SSD is utterly useless since fragmentation is an artifact of the mechanical drive heads moving around the surface of the drive. It's even questionable how much its needed on OS X even with mechanical drives.

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
I've got and used TTP7. Not having other programs to compare it with limits my opinion. However, I do find it interesting that it does pale in comparison with si,iliar programs.

I'd be interested in more info, particularly on TTP7.

An aside, not to start a flame war. SSD's (for me) are aways off. I am interested in things I now need.:cool: (Keeping it light!)

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I should point out that both DriveGenius and TechTool Pro have a directory rebuild feature, similar to what is achieved by DiskWarrior. In my own experience DW uses a superior technique(s) to the other two, but in the initial posting here, that feature was left off both of them, and I thought I should correct that.

Further, Alsoft has had 5 years to make DW into a 64-bit app, and has failed to do so. For those of us with large hard drives and many files (in my case, over 4M) the 32-bit limitation to memory causes DW to fail, and it is unable to work on such drives at all.

Both DriveGenius and TechTool Pro are 64-bit applications, and will successfully work on larger, more full drives. I'd prefer DW of course, but these two are better than nothing when a big drive goes south.

What about Techtool Protogo, which installs on a portable drive along with any other utilities you may have? Claims to feature TTP's most powerful functions. Booting off it gives you a portable swiss army knife. Good for a ram stick, but I have always used a bootable partition on an externaldrive for this purpose..

BTW, I just got an email announcing a TTP anniversary sale. TTP7, TTProtogo and Checkmate (I tried it and I think it messed up a drive on me), all available for $25 each.

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I would consider ProToGo to be a TechTool pro variant. The only difference is that you can use it to create an external bootable version of the TTP and anything else you want to put on that bootable drive, so technically I just consider it TTP. I know Scannerz has this feature with Phoenix, and I think Drive Genius may as well.

Regarding sales, it seems EVERYONE is having everything on sale this week. The entire line of Scannerz products just went on sale for 30% off, Drive Genius just came off a sale where it was selling for about 40 or 50 bucks, and now TTP is on sale too.

I was sort of laughing to myself when i realized that with these sales going on, I could by the full version of Scannerz, TTP ProToGo, and Drive Genius (if it was still on sale) all for the combined price of TTP or Drive Genius when they're not on sale.

It makes me wonder how good the economy is.

B-Eugen

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2014
@ZVH:

When I got Scannerz it came with Performance Probe 2, which has turned out being surprisingly useful. Either that's not in your list, or your list might need some updating.

WorkerBee2015

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2015
This list is over 2 years old now. Just curious, but do these apps handle Core Storage. Better yet, do any of them do a better job doing stuff like resizing, partitioning, formatting, or creating Core Storage systems. To my surprise the regular user version of Disk Utility seems to be a little lacking when it comes to dealing with these volumes.

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
This list is over 2 years old now. Just curious, but do these apps handle Core Storage. Better yet, do any of them do a better job doing stuff like resizing, partitioning, formatting, or creating Core Storage systems. To my surprise the regular user version of Disk Utility seems to be a little lacking when it comes to dealing with these volumes.

Scannerz can test core storage units, both standalone and Fusion, and I assume that Drive Genius and TechTool Pro can do likewise. Scannerz can break a Fusion down into components and allow you to test each one individually, and I don't know if TechTool Pro or Drive Genius have that capability, but I assume they do. I'm talking about doing surface scan tests. Scannerz can also do interface and system tests, FWIW.

Regarding managing Core Storage, it's proving to be a problem for a lot of people using Yosemite. On some systems, if Yosemite is installed it will create a single volume Core Storage partition on the drive, and once that's done you can't do stuff like resize a partition or split an existing partition unless it's done using the command line version of Disk Utility (named diskutil.) IMHO a lot of Mac users aren't even aware of the Terminal.app utility, much less doing stuff using a command line interface.

I don't think any of the utilities I've listed provide management for Core Storage, probably because the developers assumed Apple would do it. Core Storage was introduced in Lion, and yet Apple still hasn't provided the necessary updates to the regular version of Disk Utility to handle it. I've heard that if it detects both an SSD and an HDD in a single system it will try and make it a Fusion combo, but that's unconfirmed by me.

Maybe someone out there has done such a utility. You might want to try a website like MacUpdate.com because they have all kinds of programs on there that often do what others won't. If you find such a tool, or anyone reading this sees or knows about one, let me know and I'll add it to the list, provided they're doing it legally and not taking advantage of someone else's work (as in hiding open source code behind an interface.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.