Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not too familiar with Click to Flash, but I would imagine that an app like that would be converting the flash video to HTML5. Re-encoding HD video files of any kind is processor intensive.
It's not processor intensive at all. You can familiarize yourself with the HTML5 replacement in ClickToFlash by reading this.

Pecorino

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Not sure where you're going with that. Some of us already have very nice home theaters for 1080p.
Sure.
But most of the people, do not have your pocket.
And hate to spend without a reason.
And love to spend wisely.
And, if one computer have an HDMI interface, it is not to make fried potatoes, isn't it? What kind of video you will watch via HDMI, if you have not one working video acceleration?

Last edited:

Pecorino

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
It's really not a major concern. Flash video has always made CPU's run hotter. Your mini can take it.

You will notice the heat because the machine is so small, and the case itself absorbs heat. You would not notice it in a giant black box PC because you are not physically close to the components.

Correction to those who have stated Lion does not include hardware acceleration for Flash. That is not correct. It will include hardware acceleration once Adobe gets around to updating their software to do it. Adobe has said as much.

I'm not too familiar with Click to Flash, but I would imagine that an app like that would be converting the flash video to HTML5. Re-encoding HD video files of any kind is processor intensive. If you can use the HTML5 viewer the other poster mentioned, you will likely not have the problem.

Most of your statements, are simply not valid. And are some kind of deception.
The body absorb heat. Yes. But emit heat to the inside too. The constantly high temperatures inside, weaken considerably "the health" of your internal components- HDD and CPU first. The regular PC case are much more "healthy" because of air circulation and space between the components. Even in a small factor cases today, where the package is tidy, the air circulation is good- by 3 or 4 fans, usually.

On the subject of the hardware acceleration... .
We are not interested what "will be" included. And who must be blamed, because this is not included.
We are interested things to works, like should be. There is no today graphic card, without video hardware acceleration of some kind. The approach "you may use this, or that" in the terms of the "Apple ecosystem" usually is an excuse, when they show you "the path" towards much, much more inferior solutions.

Apple does not inform their customers that, the Intel HD 3000 solution in the Macmini 2011 DOES not support OpenCL framework? Which Apple advertise to us, years from now, like their "most advanced invention"... .

Last edited:

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Encoding a video with Handbrake will spin the Fan up a lot faster than the max rpm setting in Fan Control. It sounded like a mini jet engine when I did this last night. I can't remember my temps while this was happening. But consider this. If Apple offers the optional i7 equipped Mini with dual 500gb drives then a Mini with an i5 and one 500gb drive should not be able to generate enough heat to cause harm under max load. This presumes the fans in both configurations are the same.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
@Fissure, max fan speed is 5500rpm. i believe this is set in the firmware and no third party extension can set above this. also can't go lower than the minimum 1800rpm in the mini and 2300rpm in the mini server.

you can't set it directly to 5500rpm with fan control because that's not how it's supposed to work. you set a base speed, such as 1800 rpm, then you set a lower and upper threshold such as 46c to 78c. then wherever the green line intersects with the red line is what the fan speed will be set as dynamically.

don't feed the Pecorino troll.

tdfreeman

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Just a word of caution.....CHECK YOUR FAN :eek:

My mini was running *HOT*. I mean "can't keep your hand on the top" hot. Reading these forums, I assume it was normal. When running videos and such, I actually had it shutdown a couple times. I was resigned to taking it back (still may swap it as there is unknown heat damage). I installed smcFanControl and it showed my fan at 000rmp with a temp of 72C. This was just after booting. When seeing the 000, I assumed it was a faulty fan. I took the disc off and everything looked fine. I took off the fan and reseeded the connection and the fan is now working. After booting, it now showed 50C. I increased the fan speed to 3000rpm (still can't hear it) and it's never went above 52C yet.

Pecorino

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Just so I'm clear...the Intel HD 3000 doesn't support OpenCL?

Yes, does not.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1119312/
2011-03-25 14:04:26.650 TestOpenCL[3187:903] No GPU support!
2011-03-25 14:04:26.652 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Vendor = Intel
2011-03-25 14:04:26.652 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Device = Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
2011-03-25 14:04:26.652 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Profile = FULL_PROFILE
2011-03-25 14:04:26.653 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Version = OpenCL 1.0
2011-03-25 14:04:26.653 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Image support = YES
2011-03-25 14:04:26.653 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Compute units = 4

And, despite the fact, that the Intel HD 3000 have full hardware acceleration ( MPEG-2-VLD, iDCT, and MC; VC-1-VLD, iMDCT, MC, and LF; AVC-VLD, iMDCT, MC, and LF), i do not now how practically they are supported on the OS Lion ( SnowLeopard)level.

Check yourself, when you play these type of videos, how much the CPU usage is. Why I'm so "obsessed" with this "hardware video acceleration"? Because using her, your temp will drop by 10C-15C at the CPU level. And this for Mac mini is crucial.

Last edited:

Pecorino

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Just a word of caution.....CHECK YOUR FAN :eek:

My mini was running *HOT*. I mean "can't keep your hand on the top" hot. Reading these forums, I assume it was normal. When running videos and such, I actually had it shutdown a couple times. I was resigned to taking it back (still may swap it as there is unknown heat damage). I installed smcFanControl and it showed my fan at 000rmp with a temp of 72C. This was just after booting. When seeing the 000, I assumed it was a faulty fan. I took the disc off and everything looked fine. I took off the fan and reseeded the connection and the fan is now working. After booting, it now showed 50C. I increased the fan speed to 3000rpm (still can't hear it) and it's never went above 52C yet.
These are very good quality fans from "Delta Electronics" (they made the PSU on Macmini too, and generally, they make one of the best quality PSU on the market with the Seasonic- some Antec's PSU are Delta).

But, all the rest is a faulty thermal design. Or at least- design with greater risk for short longevity. Or too big level of compromising.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Yes, does not.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1119312/
2011-03-25 14:04:26.650 TestOpenCL[3187:903] No GPU support!
2011-03-25 14:04:26.652 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Vendor = Intel
2011-03-25 14:04:26.652 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Device = Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
2011-03-25 14:04:26.652 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Profile = FULL_PROFILE
2011-03-25 14:04:26.653 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Version = OpenCL 1.0
2011-03-25 14:04:26.653 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Image support = YES
2011-03-25 14:04:26.653 TestOpenCL[3187:903] Compute units = 4

And despite the fact that, the HD 3000 have full hardware acceleration ( MPEG-2-VLD, iDCT, and MC; VC-1-VLD, iMDCT, MC, and LF; AVC-VLD, iMDCT, MC, and LF), i do not now how practically they are supported on the OS Lion ( SnowLeopard)level.

Check yourself, when you play these type of videos, how much the CPU usage is. Why I'm so "obsessed" with this "hardware video acceleration"? Because using her, your temp will drop by 10C-15C at the CPU level. And this for Mac mini is crucial.

Crucial to what?

tdfreeman

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
These are very good quality fans from "Delta Electronics" (they made the PSU on Macmini too, and generally, they make one of the best quality PSU on the market with the Seasonic- some Antec's PSU are Delta).

But, all the rest is a faulty thermal design. Or at least- design with greater risk for short longevity. Or too big level of compromising.

The fan didn't fail, it wasn't "plugged in" properly. Once I did that, it's been fairly cool. No heat issues that most see and I've been hitting it pretty hard to stress test.

Pecorino

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Crucial to what?
To sustain low temp inside the case of the Macmini, when you use applications, or watch movies. In this cases, present and working hardware acceleration, significantly reduce the CPU load and thus-the temp inside the case.
Which, because of the design specificity of the Mac mini, is crucial for the longevity of all components inside.
The relatively stable temperatures inside reduce significantly the spin up, spin down fan activities, which prolong his life too. For reference:

-good temp results must be achieved by fan's speed of 800-1000 rpm. More the needed speed- worse the thermal design is.
-CPU fan speed above 1500-1600 is usually noisy.

The best case fans in the market ( Noctua, Sanyo-Denki, some ADDA, Nexus, NoiseBlocker PL series) have MTBF at about 150.000-180.000 hours, at speed 1500 rpm maximum. The Intel CPU fans- significantly lower MTBF, proportionally to their speed of using.
Are you so sure that, the Mac Mini CPU fan, which is constantly spinning at 2000 rpm (or more, going up and down all the time, and in this hot environment), will last more than 20.000 hours? Think also that, the high temp inside the case are crucial for the rotor's shaft of these fans too- only some very good Sanyo-Denki or the German - NoiseBlocker PL series fans, with steel shaft on their rotor (or NanoSLI bearing) are able to cope with high temperatures for long time... .

Let me to say and other thing- like you see, in this mini the CPU fan is kind of a "block", with the gasket. Thus, when the temp inside goes high, this "gasket" absorb heat and aggravate the fans body temp. And more- in the manner this "uni-body CPU fan" are attached to the other components inside, dispatch widely heat to all of them, instead to dispatch to the outside.

Last edited:

Pecorino

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
The fan didn't fail, it wasn't "plugged in" properly. Once I did that, it's been fairly cool. No heat issues that most see and I've been hitting it pretty hard to stress test.
Please, give us your temp readings... to see which is "fairly cool", according to you... .

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
To sustain low temp inside the case of the Macmini, when you use applications, or watch movies. In this cases, present and working hardware acceleration, significantly reduce the CPU load and thus-the temp inside the case.
Which, because of the design specificity of the Mac mini, is crucial for the longevity of all components inside.

That's what the warranty is for. And if it failed due to poor design Apple wold issue a recall. You are in good hands. I think you worry too much.

takezo808

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Heating on Mac Mini 2011 is real issue

My new mac mini has already froze twice due to overheating due to process intensive applications. I know it's heat related because the mac was really hot to the touch. It probably depends on which mac mini you got. The ones with the radeon 6630 gnu may not have this problem as when the mac os switches from the Intel GPU to the AMD GPU (ATI brand name is dead, Google it), It probably initiates separate hardware profile that drastically increases fan speed.

With the 2.3 i5 mac mini (and all sandy bridge i series CPUs), the GPU is on the processor die and not on the motherboard as with some PC setups. This means that the die can get much hotter than normal. Don't forget that these cpus use speed step and turbo boost technology. During idle processing and small tasks a i series cpu will down clock and will need very little cooling. Turbo boost actually over clocks your cpu. The OC goes up 500MHz for both CPU cores and gpu.

the internal fan of the mac mini is more than sufficient. With 3rd party apps such as SMC fan control. You could rev up the fan up to 5500 RPMs. The issue is I noticed that the current apple firmware does not increase fan speed enough or evan at all. I had to install SMC just to see if my fan was functional.

Increasing my fan speed to 2323 made a big difference in and is nearly unnoticeable. I created a profile for high processing which increases fan speed to 3300 or higher as needed.

There will most likely be a firmware update to resolve this when enough of the not so technical mac mini users complain about freezing at apple genius bars.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I have the $799 model with the AMD Radeon GPU. I find that when usng handbreak my fan gets to spinning pretty good. I've never seen it get above about 180 degrees. Now YES this is pretty darn warm and I know some folks get a bit paranoid about this stuff. I did download the SMC fan control software and as the previous poster said, just by creating a profile and having the fan speed increased sooner rather than later, the processor stays cooler.

Without SMC, I have seen the fan spinning as high as 4000 rpm, but it takes it awhile to get there.

I don't think my Mac Mini has ever overheated.

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
I was very freaked out when my 2.5 ghz AMD mini was hitting 90*c just with netflix! I know it was designed to handle this heat, but I just dont feel comfortable allowing it to get above 80*.

SMC Fan profiles I have made:

Light:2195 rpm min
Mid:3022 rpm min
Heavy: 3700 rpm min

MattyO

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
I was very freaked out when my 2.5 ghz AMD mini was hitting 90*c just with netflix! I know it was designed to handle this heat, but I just dont feel comfortable allowing it to get above 80*.

SMC Fan profiles I have made:

Light:2195 rpm min
Mid:3022 rpm min
Heavy: 3700 rpm min

Would this be a good profile to use? I am unfamiliar with SMC and my mini should be arriving this week and will definitley utilize this if I notice some heat issues.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
If you check the specs of a number of components used in a computer (e.g. memory) that you'll discover that the stated max temperature is 65C. Ask the guys who do overclocking and why they use watercooling for their rigs and if these temperatures can be considered "normal".

edit:If you check the specifications for the Intel X25M G2 SSD then you'll see that the operating temperature is specified to be 0 - 70 C. I know also that for military requirements the specifications are even more stringent. In other words: do not spout to me that just because Apple does it that it is right, it ain't.

A rule of thumb for silicon parts is that if you increase the temprature by 10 C you half the life expectancy. More heat = the quicker the components break down. Batteries have an even faster breakdown - they may even overheat and erupt. At the prices Apple charges I prefer to get something with a superior life expectancy when compared to a PC.

A specific personal example: If you study the expected life of electrolytic capacitors used in the power supply then you'll discover that life gets considerable shortened above approx 70 - 75C. (I used to be involved in HAM radio and did once this calculation on a power supply - the "normal" grade capacitors had en expected life of 1000 hrs, after replacing these with high grade industrial I changed it to 180 000 - 200 000 hours. (approx 20 years). This was on an unused power supply for a transceiver and many had this particular transceiver in use for already over 30 years.

Now you can stick your head in the sand (or where-ever) and pretend that this is not true but reliability and longevity is something that we all can do with rather than having some throw away piece of equipment. In business this is called "TOC" or "Total Cost of Ownership".

(my mother recently replaced her TV with a plasma. She had the TV since 1985 when she bought it second hand - it was then already a year old. It has never failed.)

(rant warning) While I am on this rant you may wonder why Apple never made big inroads in business computing. It is their attitude towards legacy programs - every xx months they have a new version of OS X and the old programs don't run. Then a few years down the track and the new version of OS X no longer supports the hardware. I only require SL for one specific application and it is installed on an external HDD, for the rest give me Windows 7, thank you. (rant over)

PS in the thread on the new mac mini specs prior to release I already mentioned potential heat issues. I am very glad I bought the 2010 model and similarly I have bought the retail version of Snow Leopard. I have no need for Lion (and Lion's iOS functionality) with its increased memory requirements. CPU temperature under Win 7 is a cosy 35 - 39 C and the GPU is around 47 - 49C and this is with environment running 25 C and 1800 rpm and 20 - 22% CPU load continiously.

Last edited:

nurbz

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
The ones with the radeon 6630 gnu may not have this problem as when the mac os switches from the Intel GPU to the AMD GPU

Is it possible for the OS to switch GPU on the mini with radeon??

I'm not so bothered by the temp, but I'm very keen to find out whether I could use Intel Quicksync!

(This is not possible unless the intel GPU is enabled, or the chipset is >Z68, which is not the case of the mini unfortunately.)

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Would this be a good profile to use? I am unfamiliar with SMC and my mini should be arriving this week and will definitley utilize this if I notice some heat issues.

I think its a pretty good setup, but its easy to tweak the numbers as you try it out.

I know people will say this goes too far, but my mini runs at 65* under full load when set upside down with lid off, as opposed to 95*+ sitting regular.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've had both the i5 2.3Ghz mini and the i5 2.5Ghz mini, and the 2.5Ghz runs much hotter than the 2.3Ghz. At idle, my 2.5Ghz mini would sit around 47-50F at idle, whereas the 2.3Ghz model sits at 36F at idle. Not sure if it's just the processor difference causing the issue, or a combination of the AMD GPU + processor difference... Either way, the 2.5Ghz model idles much at much higher temperatures than the 2010 2.4Ghz mini and the 2011 2.3Ghz mini, in my testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.