Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ng7apoc

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
UK
Interesting to hear about the difference between models. Is it possible that if you had them at different times the 2.3 may have been the only one with the 10.7.1 update applied accounting for some of the difference?

As I'm considering buying a Mini I'd be interested to hear if there was a difference in fan speeds? Or if the 2.3 ever spun up to full rpms? If one model is quieter that makes choosing easier :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Interesting to hear about the difference between models. Is it possible that if you had them at different times the 2.3 may have been the only one with the 10.7.1 update applied accounting for some of the difference?

As I'm considering buying a Mini I'd be interested to hear if there was a difference in fan speeds? Or if the 2.3 ever spun up to full rpms? If one model is quieter that makes choosing easier :)

Both my minis were running 10.7, not updated. Both minis were identical in terms of fan sound/rpm.

stephen chow

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
I have Mac mini 2.5 ghz 2011
In Mac os lion :
When i play 1080 mkv, fans about 2500rpm,temp about 70 - 80 C
When I play Fifa 2012 , Fans about 4500rpm very noise .Cpu load 80 %.Temp about 70- 80 C

In Windows 7 64 bit by Boot camp.
When I play 1080 mkv,fans about 2000rpm,team about 70 - 80 C
When I play Fifa 2012 and Pes 2012, Fans only 2500 rpm,Cpu load 30 %Temp about 80 C
is It normal?
I think Fans follow or depend Cpu, not depend Temp?

does smsfan control only setup minimum Fan rpm?
I search google then I saw Lubbo fan control can setup Minimum anf Maximum Fan rpm, however Lubbo can set rpm Maximum when temp about 80 C?

stephen chow

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
today I installed Lubbo fan control for my Windows 7 bootcamp in Mac mini.

It is worked perfect.

I set minimum 2000 rpm and maximum 5500 rpm.
I set Temp 55*C = lower and 80 *C is up hot.

Now my mac mini temp about 55 to 60 when I play Fifa12, Fans control about 2700 to 3200 dpm . Cooler and silent,

useme2305

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
people must be deaf in this forum.

i'm very surprised by how few people are annoyed by the noise these new mac minis make.

2700 to 3200 rpm is what you call silent? let me guess, you're a construction worker who hasn't used his ear muffs when working with deafening tools for the last 20 years?

seriously guys, this is totally unacceptable.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
The new Mini does indeed get pretty loud. If I work normally with 8-12 programs, it does not make a sound. As soon as I start downloading something with 40-60 Mbit, the fan kicks in pretty loud. I don't know if it has to do with the hard disk getting hotter, but it's kinda weird and I don't want to limit my download speed for that. When I play source games, which are known for their need of CPU power, it get's loud, too. I wish I could limit the maximum RPM of the fan in OS X...

spda242

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
I am still installing my new 2,5Ghz Mac mini atm I am waiting for the cable for an additional HDD/SDD.

I installed lots of applications the other day and after a few hours of installing, copying files etc the temp went up above 90 degree C and the fan begun to run very loud :(

I am a little dissapointed with the CPU temp, even when idle the CPU runs really hot. I really have to use it more to see how it will behave during normal operation but it doesn't look good.

I hope we or Apple can find a some ways to get it to run cooler/quieter.

Darby67

macrumors 6502
I am still installing my new 2,5Ghz Mac mini atm I am waiting for the cable for an additional HDD/SDD.

I installed lots of applications the other day and after a few hours of installing, copying files etc the temp went up above 90 degree C and the fan begun to run very loud :(

I am a little dissapointed with the CPU temp, even when idle the CPU runs really hot. I really have to use it more to see how it will behave during normal operation but it doesn't look good.

I hope we or Apple can find a some ways to get it to run cooler/quieter.

What you described sounds like Spotlight doing it's thing. Nothing to be disappointed about and it doesn't show any issue that needs solving with the computer.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

i'm very surprised by how few people are annoyed by the noise these new mac minis make.

2700 to 3200 rpm is what you call silent? let me guess, you're a construction worker who hasn't used his ear muffs when working with deafening tools for the last 20 years?

my minis are far from my seat as they are noisy.

the 2009 was quiet due to the brick for a PSU.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
It almost seems that Apple got the fan speed backwards for the server and mid range. The server models idles so nice and cool.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
It almost seems that Apple got the fan speed backwards for the server and mid range. The server models idles so nice and cool.

Mine idles at 1.800, that's not the problem. Even with my usual apps running, Sparrow, Chrome, iTunes and a bunch of others (8-12 are running simultaneously) the fan speed does not go beyond 2.200. The problem is that the Mini heats up while doing easy tasks. I understand the problem with flash, but downloading at high speed? My 8 year old notebook did not make that kind of noises while downlading. I can't watch a movie and download something because it's freaking annoying.

stephen chow

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011

Sorry for my English. I mean quieter not Silent.
Haha, You know, When i play Fifa 12 on Mac os x lin, Cpu power 90%, temple 80*C , Fans about 5500 rpm. VERY NOISE.

Im bootcamp Windows 7, Install Fifa12, Cpu power 30%, temp 85*C but Fans about 1800 to 2500 rpm, quieter but Very HOt

After I install Lubbo fan contro.When I play Fifa 12, My mac mini cooler, temp about 55 to 60 *C. Fans about 2700 to 3200 rpm.

It better than Mac os x lion .Yes. It is acceptable.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I also have the 2.5 i5 / Radeon model.

I never hear the fans unless I'm gaming. And then it doesn't bother me because I'm wearing a headset. But under normal working conditions, it's pretty near silent. I do hear the fans when I put my ear next to it but that's all. Please note though I use clicktoflash, it may make a difference.

And yes I am sensitive to noise. The HDD spinning noise was actually louder than the fans, initially I installed an SSD alongside the HDD but I've now replaced the HDD with a second SSD for that purpose, because the HDD drive noise did bother me a bit.

It's also lightning fast now with the 2 SSDs :D It's a super upgrade.

Darby67

macrumors 6502
my minis are far from my seat as they are noisy.

the 2009 was quiet due to the brick for a PSU.

I wouldn't attribute it to the brick at all. No discrete GPU and the C2D just isn't a very powerful CPU compared to the "i" series. There may be slightly more potential airflow in the older units and the power may contribute to a small percentage of the heat, but the CPU and the GPU are the largest potential heaters.

useme2305

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
it's the sandy bridge design's power management. it's as simple as that.

i read that apple already requested a more power efficient cpu due to that
from intel. (source: some thread on macrumors)

some say that ivy bridge will be the solution to this problem. some say it won't. i say that's just calculated pessimism.

i'm looking forward to selling my 2011 mac mini server next year and get a silent and fast new ivy bridge mac.

Last edited:

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
I also have the 2.5 i5 / Radeon model.

I never hear the fans unless I'm gaming. And then it doesn't bother me because I'm wearing a headset. But under normal working conditions, it's pretty near silent. I do hear the fans when I put my ear next to it but that's all. Please note though I use clicktoflash, it may make a difference.

And yes I am sensitive to noise. The HDD spinning noise was actually louder than the fans, initially I installed an SSD alongside the HDD but I've now replaced the HDD with a second SSD for that purpose, because the HDD drive noise did bother me a bit.

It's also lightning fast now with the 2 SSDs :D It's a super upgrade.

I have the same model, upgraded to 8GB RAM. I can play Wii games at 1080p with the Dolphin emulator, or several hour long sessions of Diablo 3 (I'm on the beta), and I never hear anything from my mini.

Of course, it's in a cabinet in my living room, and I sit about 8ft away, so I wouldn't hear it anyway. ;)

That said, I've also never had it freeze up or overheat. I figure if it does, it's an Apple problem. But the entire aluminum enclosure acts like a giant heat sink. (It's part of what can make the Macbook Pros uncomfortable to use when they get cooking.) I wouldn't fiddle with the fan settings, and if you think it's getting too hot, take it to the Genius Bar and have them check it out. But odds are, the original poster is probably overreacting. :)

I want to add an SSD to mine BAD. I saw the iFixit tear-down, and it looked daunting to say the least. Did you do it yourself? How did it go?

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
I was surprised to find this thread; I find my new 5,1 quieter than my old 2,1. I, granted, haven't pushed the thing to the wall, but specifically starting watching some HD YouTube videos to see if it'd spool up/get hot and neither happened?

I do know that as soon as I unboxed it and did software update it prompted me to install a firmware update (which I did)...dunno if that may have corrected the issue?

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
The 2011 Mac Mini base and mid range models are very quiet, but run very hot. The fan does not kick in until the temp is 70C - 80C. Some are worried about the high temps. Personally, I have a 24x7 powered on no sleep (S3) mid range. I'm a little worried about life span sitting at high 60's. I used Fan Control and have the system idling in the low 50s, which is much closer to the Server model and required similar fan speeds. It's not loud, but certainly audible.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I have the same model, upgraded to 8GB RAM.
[...]
I want to add an SSD to mine BAD. I saw the iFixit tear-down, and it looked daunting to say the least. Did you do it yourself? How did it go?

Yep I have 8GB now too, it helps a lot as well.

I can totally recommend the SSD upgrade. It is really amazing how much difference it makes.

Yes I did it myself but I'm very experienced at opening electronics. Nevertheless, I'd never done a new-style mini before so I followed iFixit's guide. It's a good guide but has one BIG problem: They forget to mention to remove one screw that holds the motherboard in place. Without that it's impossible to remove it (and you may put too much pressure on it while trying, cracking the motherboard) It's the screw to the top-left of the left hole where the removal tool goes into. Because I normally trust iFixit, it took me a while to realize their mistake.

By the way I didn't get their removal tool, I just used two thin screwdrivers. Worked totally fine.

You don't need to remove the motherboard completely if you just want to replace the top drive. If you want to fit it as the bottom drive alongside the HDD you do need to remove it (and to buy a cable, and also some screws and grommets if you want to fit it securely)

Anyway, there's a whole topic on this subject so just check that out, it's all there, along with many experiences of others who have done it before: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1201731/

Although that topic is about adding a second hard drive, the procedure for replacing the main one is even simpler.

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
My 2011 base mini (2.3 i5, 2GB) only slightly warms up after watching a few HD YouTube videos, and I've not even noticed any fan noise yet (owned 3 weeks, modest use). Probably the enhanced graphics chip is heating up the 2.5 mini.

Temperatures at startup HD/CPU/Ambient: 16/27/21 C
- right after about 10 minutes of HD YouTubes: 24/44/34 C
- after idling another 10 minutes: 25/37/30 C
- after running GeekBench: 26/43/35 C

Seems to run OK with only 2 GB but there is the occasional Safari pause when using many tabs (probably due to memory "page outs") so will increase RAM soon.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
My 2011 base mini (2.3 i5, 2GB) only slightly warms up after watching a few HD YouTube videos, and I've not even noticed any fan noise yet (owned 3 weeks, modest use). Probably the enhanced graphics chip is heating up the 2.5 mini.

Temperatures at startup HD/CPU/Ambient: 16/27/21 C
- right after about 10 minutes of HD YouTubes: 24/44/34 C
- after idling another 10 minutes: 25/37/30 C
- after running GeekBench: 26/43/35 C

Seems to run OK with only 2 GB but there is the occasional Safari pause when using many tabs (probably due to memory "page outs") so will increase RAM soon.

It is definitely the discrete AMD 6630M heating up the mid range 2011 Mac Mini. The CPU and GPU share the same heat pipe, so it saturates the pipe not letting the CPU cool more. Apple also elected to keep the same fan speed as the base 2011 Mac Mini, therefore idle temperatures are 10 - 20C higher. Apple's decision may be based on desktop usage patterns with aggressive sleep timing vs the 24/7 server usage, thus to extend the life and reliability being on 24/7 they increased the fan speed.

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
Hi all, I'm seriously considering sending my 2.5GHz Mac Mini with the AMD graphics card back. All I've been doing is copying data from an external HD onto the mini's HD and the fan's are whirring up like crazy! It's so noisy!

I've bought and sold plenty of the Intel Macs over the past few years and none of them have whirred up like this. Even ripping video or playing games never caused the fan's to whir up on any of my iMac's or MacBook Pro's.

I have over a week to see how it goes. I did install a 500GB 7200rpm drive instead of the stock 5400rpm drive and fitted 8GB of RAM too. Should this make that much difference?

EDIT: shortcut3d - if it is the AMD causing the fans to whir up, what could it have possibly been doing when I was just copying files?

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I am always amazed at how irritated people become because of a bit of fan noise. I've had my Mac Mini Server for a few months now and YES it occasionally heats up pretty good depending on what I am doing and sometimes the fans kick up! This opposed to burning up and or throttling! I really don't get the big freaking deal, but I guess that is what makes the world go round.

I noticed this morning it was a bit cool outside and when I got in the truck the auto sensor on my new truck turned my fan up on high to heat it up. My previous one didn't do this, I think I may take it back that fan was just too noisy. LOL

useme2305

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I am always amazed at how irritated people become because of a bit of fan noise. I've had my Mac Mini Server for a few months now and YES it occasionally heats up pretty good depending on what I am doing and sometimes the fans kick up! This opposed to burning up and or throttling! I really don't get the big freaking deal, but I guess that is what makes the world go round.

I noticed this morning it was a bit cool outside and when I got in the truck the auto sensor on my new truck turned my fan up on high to heat it up. My previous one didn't do this, I think I may take it back that fan was just too noisy. LOL

many people who used macs make a living with their ears. years of critical listening makes you very sensitive to such noise.
not to mention the sonic irritation fan noise causes when mixing or mastering. headphones are not always a solution in these cases either since speakers are an important instance during mixing/mastering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.