Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danny Futuro

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
I need to get a computer for school (interactive media design courses) and the classes rely heavily on apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc. Is the graphics memory a huge factor in the performance of these kinds of apps, or are these apps more dependent on physical ram? I'm aware of the UB/Rosetta issue and its not a factor in my decision. I already have a macbook, but I also do music production in my spare time, so I need a dedicated desktop machine so that I dont have to constantly connect/disconnect all of my audio peripherals. I have a 23" ACD which I could sell to help fund a 20" imac, but I'd rather hang onto it if the Mac Mini's graphics are upto handling the task. Mac Pro is out of the question as its just too expensive for me. I'm not buying anything until the next round of updates, so I'm in no tremendous hurry to buy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I would recommend you get an iMac, the macmini is great but if your doing things that demand RAM power then haveing a lowend iMac is better then haveing a high end Macmini. If your connecting a lot of items to your mac then not having to worry about the power for the monitor or wires running between the mini and the screen is a huge plus.

net26

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
isn't the minis graphics card identical to the one in your macbook? so following this logic, if the macbook suffices for your needs, the mac mini should also have no problems. just throw some ram at it and i believe it should handle things great, esp. when UBs get released.

(my $0.02 :D )

net26

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
Clydefrog said:
he doesn't want a macbook either a mac mini or iMac

did you even read his post????

i'm guessing no, so go back, read it, then you can apologize...

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
To my knowledge, The Adobe suite is mathematical based, so they rely more on processor than GPU requirements. All your vectors, masks, filters, and so-on rely on the processor to compile them as visual effects.

I used to own a 1.5ghz G4 Mini, then upgraded to a 1.66 Duo Core Intel Mini, and finally settled on a Macbook Pro.

I have used the following machines with Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, and other design applications extensively on all 3 machines.

To my personal observations when comparing the mini's to my Macbook Pro- the GPU doesn't do much for those following programs. I have had similar performance on all the platforms and of course a faster speedbumb due to a faster processor.

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
One more thing.

If you buy the Mini, I recommend upgrading the ram to 2GB. It will provide optimum performance and less beach-balling due to excessive hard drive caching from a lack of ram.

Danny Futuro

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Bocheememon said:
To my knowledge, The Adobe suite is mathematical based, so they rely more on processor than GPU requirements. All your vectors, masks, filters, and so-on rely on the processor to compile them as visual effects.

I used to own a 1.5ghz G4 Mini, then upgraded to a 1.66 Duo Core Intel Mini, and finally settled on a Macbook Pro.

I have used the following machines with Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, and other design applications extensively on all 3 machines.

To my personal observations when comparing the mini's to my Macbook Pro- the GPU doesn't do much for those following programs. I have had similar performance on all the platforms and of course a faster speedbumb due to a faster processor.
this is just what I needed to hear. lol. thanks for the insight.

LBmacman

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2006
Strong Beach
Another reason to go for the mini...

The mini, unlike the iMac, has optical audio IN which you would need for your audio recording needs.

elvirav

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2006
California, off and on.
I'm using a little G4 Mac Mini for Dreamweaver and Photoshop CS2. Of course it would be better if it were faster, but it does okay. I rely on these two programs A LOT, so this isn't a matter of me dabbling with them now and then. If my G4 Mini gets me through, I'm sure an Intel Mini will also.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
LBmacman said:
The mini, unlike the iMac, has optical audio IN which you would need for your audio recording needs.

Thats a good point, i forgot about it.

They are both great mac but after using both i can tell you they are great but remmber as a student not having to worry about an extra screen, having a small footprint and not running wires around your dorm/aparment is a plus.

When it comes down to it get what you like more, do you want a very small(i really mean very small) mac with bit of wires? then go with the mini, do you want a little larger one but not worry about wires/screen go for the imac.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Mac Mini is fine. The lowest end is probably twice as fast as half of the machines of designers I know.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
clevin said:
go get a $299 cheap desktop pc with 1GB RAM, meet all your need.

How exactly does that answer the OP's question? To refresh your memory, it was whether or not the Mac mini was suitable for web design.

webtintin

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
Mac Mini for Web Designer

Hi,

I'm a web designer.

I'm using Mac Mini (Jan 09').

It's ok for: Flash, Html, Css, PShop, ILL.

PROBLEM : The Pshop filters crash the program cause the GCard.
but the new one Mac Mini has a new Gcard it'd be OK, NOW !!!

Few money and a good Monitor LG 24"!!

Bye

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
I need to get a computer for school (interactive media design courses) and the classes rely heavily on apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc. Is the graphics memory a huge factor in the performance of these kinds of apps, or are these apps more dependent on physical ram? I'm aware of the UB/Rosetta issue and its not a factor in my decision. I already have a macbook, but I also do music production in my spare time, so I need a dedicated desktop machine so that I dont have to constantly connect/disconnect all of my audio peripherals. I have a 23" ACD which I could sell to help fund a 20" imac, but I'd rather hang onto it if the Mac Mini's graphics are upto handling the task. Mac Pro is out of the question as its just too expensive for me. I'm not buying anything until the next round of updates, so I'm in no tremendous hurry to buy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd go with the low end iMac. More power and expandability. Go for the iMac.

Habitus :apple:

eatbacon

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
I'd go with the low end iMac. More power and expandability. Go for the iMac.

Habitus :apple:

I assume you believe the OP must clearly be in the market to replace his now 3+ year old mac mini he may or may not have purchased after asking this question.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Got mine, the lowest end one the offer. I upgraded the ram and
hard drive and it is very nice for Photoshop and Illustrator.

Attachments

• P1010220.jpg
    P1010220.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 133

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
I assume you believe the OP must clearly be in the market to replace his now 3+ year old mac mini he may or may not have purchased after asking this question.

yeah, dunno what you people are all amped up on.

This post was from September of 2006.

I *guess* I can forgive webtintin since it might be his first post ever (I didnt look) -- but the rest of you?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Hi,

I'm a web designer.

I'm using Mac Mini (Jan 09').

It's ok for: Flash, Html, Css, PShop, ILL.

PROBLEM : The Pshop filters crash the program cause the GCard.
but the new one Mac Mini has a new Gcard it'd be OK, NOW !!!

Few money and a good Monitor LG 24"!!

Bye

I'm not sure I understand you, but the Mac Mini the OP was looking at had a dedicated graphics card, so that shouldn't be a problem for him/her either.

kingtom12

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
You can upgrade your ram if you using designing software unless you might be in some sort of trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.