Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfrankli

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
I agree with those commenting on Apple's pricing structure. I bought an iMac 20" 3yrs ago and thought I was paying about $250 more than a comparably equipped PC. But PC's have continued to drop in price since then and the Mini was probably the last item holding that $250 price difference when compared to a PC. By my estimate the rest of the Mac lineup is at about $500 more than a comparable PC. I really like my mac but paying that kind of premium doesn't seem sustainable. But what do I know, Mac sales are growing much faster than the PC industry.

Rassybat

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Montana
Like my question all along, "Apple Getting Snobbish?"

Yes. And it's frustrating.

I love Apple, but I don't have gobs of expendable income to blow on designer tech. I'm effectively being priced out of the market for a new Mac. Instead of getting cheaper or staying at the same price, the new Macbooks cost even more and they offer less. The student discount for buying a mac was reduced. (I still can't figure that one out.. :mad: ) and now that the mini is being discontinued, I don't think I have much of a choice but to jump ship to one of those little Dell 9 mini things (which are kinda cool, actually) or an Acer or something.

I understand buying a mac requires a little more cash but this is rediculous. There's gotta be SOMETHING on the low end of the price range for people to buy. $1200 is simply not an option for a lot of folks.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
Again?

some day this rumor is going to happen. Until then let's keep on repeating it :D

If Apple would discontinue mini, I think they would have to replace it some way. There is market for a sub $600 Mac - Apple shouldn't ignore it.

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
noooooooooooooooooo. should i buy one now?

No, the mini is a ridiculously overpriced, under-powered box. It is CLEAR Apple (i.e. Steve Jobs) never wanted that thing to succeed, it was, according to many insider reports, built to satisfy stock holder's repeated demand for an affordable headless Mac. Jobs made sure it failed.

With the mini's current spec and lack of mouse or keyboard, it should sell for $399, not it's actual asking price.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Again?

some day this rumor is going to happen. Until then let's keep on repeating it :D

If Apple would discontinue mini, I think they would have to replace it some way. There is market for a sub $600 Mac - Apple shouldn't ignore it.

Apple believes there to be a market for a $600 Mac as much as they believe there's a market for consumer Firewire equipment... :eek:

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Why not start with a Macbook, strip off the display & the hinge, but keep the keyboard & trackpad for use with an external display? The computer's in the keyboard. I'd buy it.

I suspect the screen on the Macbook costs a lot less than $600. You'd likely end up with a screenless mac costing $999 - would you pay for that?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It makes sense that the current mini is discontinued since the proc inside is pretty crusty for a current machine + Nvidia being Apple's new BFF and dumping Intel integrated video.

I'm not willing to accept Apple is killing the mini off completely though. It would be nice to see a mini/AppleTV hybrid. I use a mini 1.5 core solo as an iTunes server w/ a Front Row interface - this was before AppleTV existed.

I'd be all over an AppleTV w/ Blu-Ray optical drive and the ability to easily install my own A/V apps on it - many an app store for AppleTV. Obviously that's not going to happen.

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
What would be really cool is if they bring back the G4 Cube to replace the Mini and also introduce a lower price Mac Pro and just call it the Macintosh. :0

To be honest I won't miss the Mac Mini. I know some people who love it but I'm not a huge fan of it.

cube_open.jpg

Now that was a beautiful machine. I came this close to purchasing that when I started college... would have made me a switcher a lot sooner, but in the end I decided to get a cheaper (and yes, ugly) Compaq.

Oh well, all's well that ends well. :apple:

ruckus

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
Can't be! The mini is ripe for an update with the new integrated nvidia graphics! Maybe they are just making way for the new ones??? I can hope, I want to get one as a media box/server, but I am not paying full price for 1.5 year old technology.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
AppleTV as a platform

Mac Mini and Apple TV should be merged. TV outputs, Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse inputs, hard disk, superdrive. At a low, low price of course.

We really do need a cheap Mac, it made my friend switch. Had an old PC monitor and keyboard, spent $500 and got a nice Mac. Just like Apple wanted. Today, you can do the same. Let the TV be the screen, but be a full Mac.

I thought this too at one time but not now. Having my mini hooked up to my TV was interesting but not as useful as I thought it would be.

I would rather see Apple create an API model for the AppleTV similar to the iPhone and let developers make the device more useful for the living room. A new platform.

I would also like them to make a more robust iPhone/iPod Touch remote control app for the device, or let independent developers do it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It makes sense that the current mini is discontinued since the proc inside is pretty crusty for a current machine + Nvidia being Apple's new BFF and dumping Intel integrated video.

And who's fault is it?

I'm not willing to accept Apple is killing the mini off completely though. It would be nice to see a mini/AppleTV hybrid. I use a mini 1.5 core solo as an iTunes server w/ a Front Row interface - this was before AppleTV existed.

I'd be all over an AppleTV w/ Blu-Ray optical drive and the ability to easily install my own A/V apps on it - many an app store for AppleTV. Obviously that's not going to happen.

Blu-ray is a competing format to (.....not HD DVD) to downloading media. Apple just added HD TV Shows. I doubt they plan on putting Blu-ray on an AppleTV....

Dale_Nx26

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
hope not. the mini was the first Mac I ever bought. It brought me into the world of Apple computers. The issue right now, i think, is Apple not putting much effort into it. the mini's specs are hardly updated and the price is just not at the magical $499 point. Maybe if Apple lowered the price and updated it, people would have more interest; because the way I see it, I would not buy an obsolete machine, which is the state the mac mini is in right now. So the lack of Mac mini sales I believe is at Apple's fault. mine's still goin strong after nearly 3.5 years.

MrJingles

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
Bad news if they're just dumping it.

FANTASTIC news if they're going to replace it with a more sensible model like a midtower.

It has some cool factor, but it's extremely impractical, overpriced, and underpowered. As long as they replace it with the machine they should have shipped in the first place, it will be a huge improvement.

AMEN Brotha'! My alum iMac should hold me over for awhile (full time designer, no so pro photographer) but if my only choice is the glorified macpro desktop (I know it's cheaper than a dell workstation but 250% more than a build-it-yourself tower) I may just make the switcharoo once the new i7 hardware hits the market.

For the same price as a mid-range imac you can build a 2.8 quad core / 8GB ram /2x Hard drives for the same or cheaper. (And Vista x64 honestly is not as bad as you hear. It's no OS X but it's only marginally worse) Oh, and I'm cheap =)

Surfomatic

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Might be interesting to see the merging of the mini and Apple TV into a full-featured-home-computer-media-center-DVD/Blueray-playback-recorder device that can power a large hi-def flat screen TV. Of course I'm dreaming, but I'd like to connect one small box that does it all: DVD & Blueray playback and recording, gaming, iTunes interface for playing and purchasing music and video, viewing iPhoto albums on the big screen, surfing the web, and even importing and editing home movies, plus whatever else a reasonably powered Macintosh computer can do. The logical convergence of media devices.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
USA
it's probably having poor sales. They should drop the price to $399 and continue selling it without ever upgrading it for like 2 more years. They would make so much money. I love my mini. They need to drop the price or replace it - but dumping it is a terrible idea.

mgclayton

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
That's too bad. They were perfect machines for people who don't really "need" computers; older folks and casual e-mailers who didn't need a 20" screen...

That's a little unfair! :)
My C2D Mini is a great performer, I use it more than my MBP. OK, the graphics are lacking, but outside of that it's great. I run multiple VMs, encode video, have dozens of windows open, etc and it's not noticeably slower than my SR MBP, seriously.
My old G4 Mini is a great HT machine, and it's powering my HDTV at 1080p.

Dyne Valentine

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
Atlanta
Now that was a beautiful machine. I came this close to purchasing that when I started college... would have made me a switcher a lot sooner, but in the end I decided to get a cheaper (and yes, ugly) Compaq.

Oh well, all's well that ends well. :apple:

I think it would be a wise move to bring a better version of the G4 Cube back because it was an easy computer to modify(which for geeks like myself love) and it looks a lot better than the current Mini.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
What would be really cool is if they bring back the G4 Cube to replace the Mini and also introduce a lower price Mac Pro and just call it the Macintosh. :0

To be honest I won't miss the Mac Mini. I know some people who love it but I'm not a huge fan of it.

cube_open.jpg

If the mini and cube show anything its that the consumer desktop arena is something that the Apple of Jobs and Ive don't quite understand. Pity I was going to recommend my mother get the Mini to replace her dying HP. Guess that money will be going into a dell studio hybrid instead. Still, there is a slight chance of a cheaper iMac with a 9400M, but knowing Apple, they'll probably jack the prices out of reach with that too.

Eagle51389

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
As a waning Vista user, I was hoping to see an update in the near future. I would definitely buy a Mini if it was upgraded to the specs of the new (but lower end) Macbook. I'm hoping that they'll discontinue the current Mini and bring another product into the same product space. Perhaps a different shaped machine that still look professional? I don't really care about firewire, as all my periphs are USB.

Eagle

JakeDTS

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
just to add..

I dont have much to say other than the Mac Mini was the computer that got me into apple. I could "reach" its price point and it was a great computer. Will pick up one of the dual core intels before they're gone.

Any key

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Sacramento, CA
They can have a baby.

Mac Mini and Apple TV should be merged. TV outputs, Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse inputs, hard disk, superdrive. At a low, low price of course.

We really do need a cheap Mac, it made my friend switch. Had an old PC monitor and keyboard, spent $500 and got a nice Mac. Just like Apple wanted. Today, you can do the same. Let the TV be the screen, but be a full Mac.

Here Here

The :apple:TV just doesn't cut it by itself, I want a full computer and an :apple:TV hooked up to my flat screen. Let the :apple:TV and the Mac Mini get married, have a baby, feed it some spinach so that it will grow up to be a powerful multi-media computer that will play nicely with all my peripherals.

MrJingles

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
No, the mini is a ridiculously overpriced, under-powered box. It is CLEAR Apple (i.e. Steve Jobs) never wanted that thing to succeed, it was, according to many insider reports, built to satisfy stock holder's repeated demand for an affordable headless Mac. Jobs made sure it failed.

With the mini's current spec and lack of mouse or keyboard, it should sell for $399, not it's actual asking price.

You have a point there. I was very excited when the first mini was being announced because we finally would have a headless mac but after the specs came out it was obvious you were getting $300-400 in parts, minus keyboard and mouse, for what $700 at the time? (plus only a 5400rpm HD, limited in ram etc)

People aren't tech savvy so if you had to choose between a crappy compaq e-machine for $400 (with crappy monitor, keyboard and mouse) vs the mac mini with no accessories for almost twice as much there isn't much of a reason to get the mini in that person's mind. After all they obviously couldn't afford anything for more!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.