Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Makes me wonder if Apple will include both Remote Disc feature (From MacBook Air) and Time Capsule on 10.5.2.
One can only hope.....

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I way ahead of you guys. :D

osxversion.jpg

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I dont know for sure - as I don't have one, but isn't showing off all these details and screenshots of 10.5.2 against somebody's NDA?

budward

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2006
New !0.5 Seed a

FIrst of, the new mac pro penryns are shipped with a different build than the public available 10.5.1. However, the reason why the new NVIdia adds 3 - 5 weeks shipping time is because 10.5.2 is not out yet and contains the drivers for the NV 8800 as well as a ton of bug fixes.

The new mac pros cannot use anything newer than the build that ships with it.

so if you buy one that has leopard client and expect to install a previously purchased leopard server and apply all recent updates you are still SOL. It will not work. Especially the nasty date/time bug where one minute is really 55.2 seconds ... it will break a lot of apps. 10.5.2 surely will fix this issue as well.

If you ask me, apple was not ready tp push leopard out to the public in Oct but since jobs said it would be ready they pushed it out anyway.. 10.5.2 is a massive update and really should've been 10.5.0 GM Oh well I am not complaining.. my mac pro 3.0 penryns smokes!!!! well worth the wait.

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
I'm on a macbook and so far, Leopard's been pretty solid. I only had the keyboard lock up once, which was prior to 10.5.1 (which fixed the keyboard issue).

The only thing I look forward to with the new update is fixing my airport.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
To be fair to my bug list here are things that I don't know how I lived without (some more than others) :

Menu search
Automator recording
Sync dashboard with .Mac
Stacks - do want it merged with the list in Tiger
Sync Dock with .Mac
Spring loaded dock
Screen sharing
Icon preview
Path bar in finder window
Under the hood speed
iChat recording
Tabbed chat
iChat theater
Hide Local Video in iChat
Bonjour scanning
Data Detectors
Simple Mail Setup
Custom Stationary in Mail
Notes in Mail and .Mac sync
Network better in some respects
Preview image printing options
PDF manipulation
Quicklook
Tabbed bookmarks
Merge all windows in Safari
Spaces
Grammar check - (just because of this thread, and no I didn’t check my grammar)
Scroll non active windows
Alex voiceover - for the kids
Google map integration mail etc.
And I’m working on setting up Time machine

There is a term for your post. Its called enabling. And there are FAR to many people in the Apple community who do it and as a result it's why Apple continues to time and again put out insanely gre....buggy code. And no. MS isn't any better.

surfsnow

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
And this is why I'm considering going back to Dell. I expected better from Apple. My expectations aren't nearly as high with Dell. I expect to have to fix my own crap...heck I expect crap from them...
Apple? Heck after hearing the wonderful experience that people have with Macs I expected everything to "just work". Bull crap. .....

I actually told one of the mac user (@ work) NOT to upgrade to Leopard and stick with Tiger for now... at least until the Airport KP crap is fixed....

:mad:x10x5

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
My Exposé shortcurts often break. I can run the Exposé application to show all windows, but the F-Keys only work again after rebooting. This happens a lot and OSX is almost unusable for me without Exposé. Hope 10.5.2 fixes this.

Similar problem here, but happens with mouse buttons.

I use a Logitech MX518, I bind Expose and Spaces to buttons 4, 5, and 6 on the mouse (thumb buttons and the 'show window' on top of the mouse). Whenever I restart the Dock, and sometimes randomly, Spaces will forget the activation button. I have to rebind and then logout/login to get Spaces mouse activation back.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Similar problem here, but happens with mouse buttons.

I use a Logitech MX518, I bind Expose and Spaces to buttons 4, 5, and 6 on the mouse (thumb buttons and the 'show window' on top of the mouse). Whenever I restart the Dock, and sometimes randomly, Spaces will forget the activation button. I have to rebind and then logout/login to get Spaces mouse activation back.

Well, Exposé dies on my mouse buttons too but I guess that's because they're mapped to the F-keys. My Wireless keyboard won't do Exposé either. It's interesting that resetting the Dock fixes it sometimes. It's almost impossible for me to use my Mac without Exposé which I find interesting and kinda frightening.

Since the iTunes update (Macworld), iTunes is no longer a signed app and I get the same thing as when starting Skype, which annoys me:

picture1qh6.png

It's really in my firewall's allow list. Most of the time the firewall works fine and I like how it tells me when some apps want to phone home. But right now, I thinking of switching it off more and more...

S600MBUSA

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Georgia
Depending on the reviews that come out after release, 10.5.2 may just be the update that coaxes me to upgrade to Leopard. Though I wouldn't at all be averse to waiting longer.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
I am guessing that with the release of Time Capsule they will have to launch 10.5.2 with the Network drive issue fix.

I could be wrong, but isn't TC just a built in Network drive? Same as plugging my USB HD into my current AEBS Gigabit?

Let's hope so, and then I can finally have all 4 of my HD's on the network. Please.

The problem is not in Leopard. Its in the AEBS. So Time Capsule has the fix required (support for Leopard enhancements to HFS+) while your AEBS does not.

Apple has to make an AEBS firmware update to fix your issue. And I hope they do.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Does anyone know if they are working on WIFI with 10.5.2? I nuked Leopard and OS X in general about 5 weeks ago and installed Vista with RC of SP1. This isn't a troll post....I'd dead serious when I say its 10x more reliable now. I'm not exagerating when I say that something with 10.5.1 or one of the latter patches FUBARed my Mac. It kept dropping the connection to my router even though the system said it was still connected, still had an IP address and the router saw it. It isn't my router either since my ThinkPad's connection was still working on it. The only resolution was to either reboot the system but more often then not turning off WIFI and turning it back on fixed the problem. I'm serious when I say that in the end before I nuked OS X every half hour I had to do this. Then there were the freezes. I could CONSISTENTLY cause OS X to freeze when I went from one network to another and changed location settings. So WIFI to WIFI, change location....freeze. WIFI to Ethernet, change location....freeze. I took it into the Apple store and explained everything. They ran diagnostics on it and then had me reinstall the OS. Still had problems.
Vista though...With SP1....much better. Standby\Sleep is instantanious, file transfers seem to have been resolved. Overall its been a heck of a lot more plesant of an expierience then Leopard has been. Frankly if it wasn't for some of the outstanding apps that can be found on OS X I would have sold my MacBook Pro months ago. I haven't been this pissed off with an OS since the days of Windows 9x.

PS- And I refuse to go back to that POS that is tiger. I have serious issues with Tiger and network shares. I lost count the number of times I came back from sleep when I was away from my home network, went to finder, oops forgot to disconnect the mount to my home network, hit the eject button, and BAM....beachball infinite for Finder. Leopard in that regard kicks tiger’s tail. It is much more fault torrent with shares.

Were you using VMWare Fusion at all? What you describe is what one sees using Bridged networking under Leopard and VMWare Fusion.

Rbh

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
England
I'm rather hoping that SMB will be actually fixed. It was touted as such in 10.5.1, but that patch made no difference to the random manner in which my sharing Windows PCs appeared in Finder (even with the Windows Firewall turned off entirely).

It's hardly a show stopper but (for me, at least) it's annoying. I don't want to have to find my XP box's IP and connect from my MB manually.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm rather hoping that SMB will be actually fixed. It was touted as such in 10.5.1, but that patch made no difference to the random manner in which my sharing Windows PCs appeared in Finder (even with the Windows Firewall turned off entirely).

It's hardly a show stopper but (for me, at least) it's annoying. I don't want to have to find my XP box's IP and connect from my MB manually.

Yeah, SMB is pretty random.

I just reboot the Mac to get my Windows PCs to show - hardly convenient?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.