Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyC4L

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
San Luis Obispo, CA
I've got some kind of addiction with updating things, so I'd love to see a not-so-perfect Leopard at launch and a mega update a week later :)
I know exactly what you mean. There's some strange satisfaction I get by running software update and seeing a bunch of updates pop up. And I'm even more excited when I see that progress bar moving. Oh man...:D

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I hope they don't ship it. It'd be way better if they released it as a download. 4 gigs would take most of us 2-3 hours to download off a decent server? Probably loads better for the environment too... Vista is available for direct download, it's about time Apple got onboard!

that would be a bad idea, since you need to burn it anyway to install it and the low end macs still ship with a combo drive so they would be unable to install it. Also I would guess that it would be just as bad for the environment since some people would probably end up making more than the one CD. along with it encouraging piracy since you could burn as many copies as you want and there is nothing to stop the same download from being installed on multiple computers. And at least in the US most people still have slow internet connections when the 8GB would be almost impossible to download.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This kind of racing the clock worries me, but just a bit. While those bleary-eyed overworked programmers are losing sleep trying to iron out the last issues, I'll try not to lose sleep worrying that they'll ship Leopard before it's finally and completely ready.

Luckily, as long as Leopard installs OK, Software Update will take care of followup glitches.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
This kind of racing the clock worries me, but just a bit. While those bleary-eyed overworked programmers are losing sleep trying to iron out the last issues, I'll try not to lose sleep worrying that they'll ship Leopard before it's finally and completely ready.

Luckily, as long as Leopard installs OK, Software Update will take care of followup glitches.

it doesn't really worry me. i do feel kinda sorry for them though....having to work those long hours....but they'll get paid for it.

yeah, Software Update's got my back

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Leopard is on a dual-layered DVD, not everyone has a DL burner. also, MS can get away with it since their OS requires a CD Key and activation, Apple's OS does not. i doubt you'll see a downloadable version

Who says you have to install from removable media? It doesn't amount to a hill of beans if Leopard requires a dual layer DVD in order to distribute on a single disc. The install procedure should be intelligent enough to mount an ISO.

It is time for Apple to start digital distribution. I don't want a stupid box I'm just going to throw away, or a DVD I'll never use again. What's the point?

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Leopard Server?

I'm curious as to the status of Leopard Server. Sometimes Apple releases Server alongside the client OS, sometimes it lags behind.

Any word from the inside?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Who says you have to install from removable media? It doesn't amount to a hill of beans if Leopard requires a dual layer DVD in order to distribute on a single disc. The install procedure should be intelligent enough to mount an ISO.

It is time for Apple to start digital distribution. I don't want a stupid box I'm just going to throw away, or a DVD I'll never use again. What's the point?

umm....you can't install a new OS inside your current OS.....so you have to install from something outside your OS, or removable media

vassillios

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2005
Virginia
that's true. it seems like "arriving" is better than "shipping"

not true...arriving could mean arriving to Apple wharehouses for distribution to retail staores. They could very well announce it's "arrival" on the 26th with shipping in 5 days.

This happened to me with Groove Agent 3

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
That's good news, although it seems like they are cutting it fairly close to be in stores on 10-26.

I agree with people who would rather see it late than buggy, though.

I wouldn't. A general public beta is good. Mac-folk always know that the 10.x.0 version is raw, so they have good warning to wait until 10.x.2 or later. For the rest of us, we'll happily beta test. :D

vassillios

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2005
Virginia
that would be a bad idea, since you need to burn it anyway to install it and the low end macs still ship with a combo drive so they would be unable to install it. Also I would guess that it would be just as bad for the environment since some people would probably end up making more than the one CD. along with it encouraging piracy since you could burn as many copies as you want and there is nothing to stop the same download from being installed on multiple computers. And at least in the US most people still have slow internet connections when the 8GB would be almost impossible to download.

You don't need to burn it. All you need to do is make a bootable back up of the dmg to an external usb drive. Boot into this usb drive and install.

Of course this solution is not ideal and practical for most and it can therefore only be by dvd.

rsoerensen

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2006
Well..

Every time a Gold Candidate is rejected you burn it with some chemicals so out from the main HQ black smoke will appear. When you finally get a Gold Copy that will be finally you burn some papers so that white smokes appears.

Pope OSX the Fifth?

Pope OSX the Fifth it is...

Attachments

• osxthefifth.jpg
    osxthefifth.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 101

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD

that would require multiple drives or multiple partitions. and the leopard install DVD has all the Windows drivers on it. without the DVD, BootCamp will be missign some stuff.

and again, much easier to pirate a Mac OS this way then it is a Windows OS. you won't see digital Apple OS distribution until they implement keys and/or activation.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
that would require multiple drives or multiple partitions. and the leopard install DVD has all the Windows drivers on it. without the DVD, BootCamp will be missign some stuff.

and again, much easier to pirate a Mac OS this way then it is a Windows OS. you won't see digital Apple OS distribution until they implement keys and/or activation.

i agree here. and we don't want Apple turning into M$

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
Not going to happen, the 31st is Halloween.
The 26th date is based on the fact that the last few OS releases have been the last Friday of the month.

trick or treat honey... trick or treat...

I bet that you get it before us canadains do... I"m in winnipeg manitoba and our best buys/futureshops STILL don't have ipod touches!!!!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore - free shipping in 7-10 business days... why bother with Futuresh*t or Worst Buy?

I hope they don't ship it. It'd be way better if they released it as a download. 4 gigs would take most of us 2-3 hours to download off a decent server? Probably loads better for the environment too... Vista is available for direct download, it's about time Apple got onboard!

i can assure you it will be online in a downloadable version, just probably not from apple... ;)

vassillios

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2005
Virginia

Here's the answer. It may not work for all, but it will work for those who meet the criteria:

1) There's a wizard to check that you have sufficient space on your internal HD (or even a connected drive).

2) the wizard creates a non-destructive partition on your hard drive (much like bootcamp assistant).

3) The .dmg file is downloaded to your current os partition.

4) the .dmg is archived to the new partition and is made bootable.

5) OS X nows reboots (automatically) into the install partition and the normal install process begins...

TA F'N DA...... i'm a genius!

Remember that this only works if you meet the space criteria.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.