Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
If Apple don't use constellation names than moons from our solar system and beyond would be nice.

OS X Luna
OS X Thebe
OS X Europa
OS X Typhon
OS X Hyrda
OS X Hyperion
OS X Titan

I wouldn't be surprised if they indeed went the constellation route, seeing as their wallpapers have almost always been something relating to space.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's getting tougher to come up with names that haven't already been suggested several times:
Mac OS X 10.9 Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard
Could also be cougar or clouded leopard
I wanted to check out the names that Apple still hasn't used yet: cougar and clouded leopard.
Sabre Toothed Tiger!
Hoping for sabretooth, that would be awesome!
I was hoping for Saberthooth Tiger as next name.
Or another funny way to go would be to go with OS X Tabby Cat! :eek:

Some of the same names keep popping up repeatedly:

Bobcat x9
Calico x3
Catamount x3
Clouded Leopard x4
Cougar (and variations) x24
Garfield x4
Hello Kitty x3
Maru x5
Liger x5
LOLcat x2
Lynx x16
Nittany Lion x3
Nyan Cat x3
Ocelot (and variations) x17
Sabre/Saber-toothed Tiger/Smilodon x10
Sea Lion x5
Serval (and variations) x5
Tabby x3
Thundercat x4​

Last edited:

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Well...

I know speculating makes no sense, but as I'm probably not going to upgrade, I'm more interested in the name, than the feature set.

The major question will be, what happens after 10.9. Does apple have something up it's sleeve (for about 12-18 months hence), which justifies a major increment (whether it's Mac OS X 11.0 or Mac OS XI ), or will apple just go for Mac OS X 10.10 ???

If they go for 11.x then they're out of the conundrum of thinking up new cat names and can go for whatever (dogs, planets, constellations etc.). If so, then 10.9 will be the "final cat", and I personally hope for "Lynx" (reason being that that's the only big cat we have here in northern Europe and have been felt left out thus far :) )

RGDS,

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I like how everyone just sort of assumes the next generation of the Mac OS will be called "OS XI"

I fully expect OS X to last beyond version 10.10. And whatever the next incarnation is, I have a feeling it will have a very different name.

I also suspect that they will quit with the cat names before they move on to next gen OS.

10.10 = 10.1 in Maths lol

----------

Mac OSX Sabertooth. :D

and get sued by Asus lol

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
10.9 Sabertooth

content

;) Maybe. hehe.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
I'm not saying that you're wrong, but...

vQyxjMD.png

...they are just search suggestions and may not even be related to Apple.

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
I remember testing the exact same things a couple of weeks ago, and it showed Lynx in the same fashion. That's all gone now, though, even if you try to spell the first letters out.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
They're caching the common searches that people are performing on their sites, which is a smart thing to do because it reduces the CPU/disk load on the servers by caching the actual search results.

The reason both sabertooth and lynx shows up is because that's what many people here searched based on previous rumors, not solely because Apple have it somewhere on their site.

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
Honestly I hope they give a real name to the system. Operating System Ten sounds too basic. Macintosh would have sounded better, but it has been applied to the computer, not the software. When talking to people (vast majority PC users anyway), I just say "Macintosh" when I talk about it.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
MacOS X Feral

----------

Honestly I hope they give a real name to the system. Operating System Ten sounds too basic. Macintosh would have sounded better, but it has been applied to the computer, not the software. When talking to people (vast majority PC users anyway), I just say "Macintosh" when I talk about it.

Maybe they go New Mac OS X instead of the names.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
10.9 Sabertooth is the highest result now. I would be happy with Sabertooth. It implies cutting edge and aggressive, powerful software (which I hope this version will be). I predicted Lynx before, but Sabertooth would be a cooler name.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Sorry... Couldn't resist... Those in the UK will understand ;)

Attachments

• MeerKat-OSX copy.png
    MeerKat-OSX copy.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 111
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.