Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JManJapan

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Lynx would be perfect, as it would create a smooth transition to a new OSX naming scheme since there is a constellation named after this particular cat. If Apple took advantage of this we could see future releases like...

OSX Andromeda
OSX Aries
OSX Gemini
OSX Hydrus
OSX Orion
OSX Pisces

Andromeda is a galaxy (the closest major one to our own Milky Way), not a constellation.

/The Space Police

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
Andromeda is a galaxy (the closest major one to our own Milky Way), not a constellation.

/The Space Police

I think that a "outer space" naming sequence would be a good way to go. They could start at Milky Way and work their way out from there.

JManJapan

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Names based on solar system bodies

I think XI will have space names: Jupiter, Neptune, etc. Apple loves space.

I like this idea.

Maybe the latin names of the planets in our solar system (Terra sounds cooler than Earth). Though since Pluto has been demoted to a dwarf-planet/Plutinoid, and there are now only eight real planets in our solar system they'd have to either still include Pluto, as well as either the earth's moon (Luna in latin, which many astronomers now think used to be a Mars sized planet that crashed in to earth a few billion years ago giving earth much of its heavier elements. It's also by far the largest moon in our solar system, when compared to its host planet) and/or the sun (Sol) to make ten major releases available. It would take away the fun of guessing what the next release would be called though.

In terms of numbering, my money is on that Apple will call it iOS X 1.0 since 10.10 would be the same as 10.1, as mentioned by someone else previously.

Just my two yens' worth...

JManJapan

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
I think that a "outer space" naming sequence would be a good way to go. They could start at Milky Way and work their way out from there.

Most other galaxies have pretty boring names though, unless they'd include all the dwarf satelite galaxies of the Milky Way and Andromeda (e.g. Pegasus). I'd hate for an OS X release to be called NGC 2419 for example... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_galaxies

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012

/The Space Police

It's actually both. Andromeda I is a dwarf spheroidal galaxy(dSph) about 2.40 million light-years away in the constellation Andromeda. Good ol Wikipedia :)

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
It had to be done.

Attachments

• 4921077_700b.jpg
    4921077_700b.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 669

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Had a think, and I reckon:

OS X Serval (10.9)
OS X White Serval (10.10)

I got mountain lion, but not too confident with these two. Seems my best guess though :p

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Had a think, and I reckon:

OS X Serval (10.9)
OS X White Serval (10.10)

I got mountain lion, but not too confident with these two. Seems my best guess though :p

If they do indeed continue with cat names, I would think Lynx is a pretty good guess for the next one, being pretty much the only commonly known wild cat-name left...

goldhunter

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
Lets consider the Jaglion:)

It's amazing how all these animals can cross breed and not eat each other in the process.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
It worries me that people think OS 10.10 will follow 10.9 - this is numerically wrong. Doesn't anyone know basic maths?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It worries me that people think OS 10.10 will follow 10.9 - this is numerically wrong. Doesn't anyone know basic maths?

The first number is the major version of Mac OS X. *The second number, behind the decimal point, indicates which update it is. It's entirely possible to have 9, 10, 11 or more updates to the same version of Mac OS X.

Last edited:

Soaring

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
My guess is that 10.9 will be called "White Lion"
10.10 will be called "Cougar"

and then they will release OS IX, and start a new naming scheme. Why continue with OS X forever?

Also, they haven't used "Bobcat", so that might be an option...

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
The first number is the major version of Mac OS X. *The second number, behind the decimal point, indicates which update it is. It's entirely possible to have 9, 10, 11 or more updates to the same version of Mac OS X.

Correct. Yes 10.x does require a decimal, but it is not a decimal fraction

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.