Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjackson

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Well ... in a moment of weakness ... the Amazon button was way too easy to push! :rolleyes:

Received the new 12-core on Wednesday to replace my 2008 3,1 8 core machine.

-howard

Hey Howard,
Interested in selling the ram from your 3,1? Get in touch with me.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Hey Howard,
Interested in selling the ram from your 3,1? Get in touch with me.

Hi-

Sorry, my daughter is getting my old Mac Pro for her photography usage and will need the RAM.

BTW: you may wish to enable your private messaging so others can contact you directly. :)

-howard

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi-

Sorry, my daughter is getting my old Mac Pro for her photography usage and will need the RAM.

BTW: you may wish to enable your private messaging so others can contact you directly. :)

-howard

The 2008 Mac Pro is still a good machine even though it's an old model. I still use this and at the end of the day gets the job done.

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Giant leap for me

Gotta have at least six cores these days, getting twelve for $2500 ain't bad, but there's just too many bottlenecks to address in the current pros.
If I really get hooked on this I'll probably be saying the same thing later but
right now those "bottlenecks" look like huge pipelines compared to my 2007 iMac.

ssdaytona

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
mine is on it's way from amazon. initially, I was quoted 4 weeks. but I guess they got some in stock sooner.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Hi-

-howard

Lucky daughter. That is pretty awesome.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Lucky daughter. That is pretty awesome.

Well, her old Core2Duo iMac is struggling pretty hard with AutoCAD and PhotoShop on large RAW photo files, so it is time for an upgrade! I will leave the SSD boot disk, 2TB RAID-0, 16GB RAM and swap the HD5870 I was using with the HD5770 in the new machine. That Mac Pro 3,1 should have quite a bit of life left in it with the upgrades. :)

ssdaytona

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
Good move to not get discouraged and order in spite of the shipping estimate.

I had no doubt that amazon would honor the price. I also ordered a new iMac 27" i7 for the family room. I suspect that one will get the most use anyway.

still not sure I'm going to keep the Mac Pro. If it was the 3.3Ghz 6-core then it would be a different story.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
If I really get hooked on this I'll probably be saying the same thing later but right now those "bottlenecks" look like huge pipelines compared to my 2007 iMac.

Hey, don't be afraid to go for one of these, at this price it's a deal. Already having a MacPro I might hesitate, but if you need one, this is as good a time as any at this price.

I'm tempted to buy one, and really, I have no compelling reason to.

I picked up my old 8-core on a closeout for around $2300 and a week later they plummeted to $1700, from Apple, no less. It still runs fine, and I use it all the time.

This is at least as good a deal.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Well, her old Core2Duo iMac is struggling pretty hard with AutoCAD and PhotoShop on large RAW photo files, so it is time for an upgrade! I will leave the SSD boot disk, 2TB RAID-0, 16GB RAM and swap the HD5870 I was using with the HD5770 in the new machine. That Mac Pro 3,1 should have quite a bit of life left in it with the upgrades. :)

That really does sound awesome. The 12 core at $2500 probably brings these about in line with what you would pay for a PC workstation with similar performance on most tasks. It would still have missing features and an older gpu, but that pricing does make them much more desirable when it comes to recovering costs on a potentially shorter cycle.

cjackson

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Hi-

-howard

ahh, okay. The 3,1 is a really good machine, but the RAM is so expensive..

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Strange - Best Buy back in stock

Best Buy has the 12 core back in stock for $3629. The previous $2499 deal had it in clearance.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I loved the thought of 12 cores for $2500, but cringed at the thought of 2.4GHz for $2500.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Best Buy has the 12 core back in stock for $3629. The previous $2499 deal had it in clearance.

Noticed that too. Did the original "clearance" $2499 models ship with 10.6? The newest "sale" $3629 models are shipping with 10.7. Maybe that had something to do with the heavily discounted clearance price?

GXPvince

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Noticed that too. Did the original "clearance" $2499 models ship with 10.6? The newest "sale" $3629 models are shipping with 10.7. Maybe that had something to do with the heavily discounted clearance price?

I don't know about that. $1200 discount for a older OS is not realistic. They are both 2012 computers...

BTW, I get mine today. :D

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I don't know about that. $1200 discount for a older OS is not realistic. They are both 2012 computers...

BTW, I get mine today. :D

Not saying it makes sense, but we're talking about Best Buy and moving inventory. Maybe similar to what they've done with Windows 7 machines being discounted to make room for Windows 8 machines?

Either way, it's hard to explain clearance of units, then having them for sale again at just a small discount. Maybe closing warehouses and easier/cheaper to just fire sale them? There's got to be a reason...

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Either way, it's hard to explain clearance of units, then having them for sale again at just a small discount. Maybe closing warehouses and easier/cheaper to just fire sale them? There's got to be a reason...

Not really. BestBuy's Macs (the whole line up) is pragmatically permanently on sale. For the past year or so, it actually would be unusual if they were not. It is usually a nominal percentage discount, just to be under the listed price at the Apple store.

About the only time a Mac model isn't on sale is just after release if Apple is having initial supply problems so they are scarce.

Microcenter tends to do something similar with just a subset of the Mac line up ( usually the faster moving models ). And with in store only deals move "last year's" models at deep discounts.

In a large number of locations, BestBuy has to compete with retail Apple Store. If the prices as exactly the same BestBuy doesn't really have much leverage in that context. Even in the "no store for 30 miles" context folks take trips. One of the strange aspects to the "store within a store" is that the locations aren't repair certified. There are Apple trained sales folks but no "Geniuses" ( hyperbole aspects of that label aside).

As Apple Retail increasingly becomes a Juggernaut, the other resellers have to discount just to stay in the game. Apple puts them on a treadmill where their sales targets are always moving to larger numbers. They have to move product just to maintain ability to sell them. If there is no combined service+sales offering then all you have is price as a value add or that there is no Apple store for annoyingly long distances.

Over time that latter doesn't work so well. The Apple Store has done extremely well in part because Apple wiped out the areas were the larger, more successful local resellers were located. They knew where there were higher density of Mac buyers who buy on a regular basis and dropped stores exactly on those spots.

Maybe the website maintainers are just lazy because the OS version is still tagged as being OS X Lion. If they are still shipping Lion boxes (eligible for upgrade) they had a giant bucketful of them to get rid of.

If Apple has "minimal order" levels on them to maintain classification, BestBuy might have had to order more because of an Apple imposed deadline. I doubt they actually wanted more in that case.

It would be another "bad' PR blow for Apple if "out of stock" on Mac Pro was just pervasive at a major supply here as it is in the EU Market.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA

ssdaytona

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
so, mine just came today from amazon. I've decided the best thing to do is keep both the Mac Pro and iMac.

iMac for the family computer and the Mac Pro for me to "tinker" with. Now what to do? I guess I should process all of those 5DII RAW images that I never got around to and convert all the blu-rays to mp4 so that the Apple TV can access them. hmm, but that'll just last for may be 1 month. <- trying to justify the Mac Pro.

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
so, mine just came today from amazon. I've decided the best thing to do is keep both the Mac Pro and iMac.

iMac for the family computer and the Mac Pro for me to "tinker" with. Now what to do? I guess I should process all of those 5DII RAW images that I never got around to and convert all the blu-rays to mp4 so that the Apple TV can access them. hmm, but that'll just last for may be 1 month. <- trying to justify the Mac Pro.

Nice - hope you enjoy it. If you have any display suggestions - please post.

GXPvince

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008

That's funny! If your still shooting a Mark II that iMac is going to be horrible to work on.

I received mine yesterday, still in the box, but on craigslist. :) I am looking forward to 2013 Mac Pro.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012

I did the same with my daughter, she was wearing out her iMac so I got her a Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.