Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
but what's the complaint? is it that you're potentially spending maybe $250 more on a 2nd d300 if you buy a mac pro?

i assume you want more cpu cores for compiling since you're looking beyond an imac/mbp/mini etc.. so if the cost was $5250 instead of $5500 with one less gpu, would you then be satisfied? or is your complaint something else?

not complaining either.

Maybe it's just my Acounting herritage (from a long line of family accountants, and a few years of study) that keeps popping into my tech side.

for me, it comes down to $ cost to performance gained for the tasks required.

if you can save $250 by not including that 2nd GPU, and use that $250 towards an upgrade that actually will give performance benefit for your specific task, than yes, you should be able to make that choice or option.

And in a good corporation, any CTO/CIO/CFO should be asking those types of questions before writing the cheque.

that is $250 off the bottom line that doesn't need to be spent for zero performance benefits.

its cold. it's analytical. But thats the way my brain works when I think of "professional" equipment intended for any type of workforce.

Don't get me wrong, from a personal perspective, this machine is damn sexy and powerful and I would love to be able to fit it into my environment.

but since i work mostly in databases and VM's, I just can't shake that lost opportunity cost by putting money towards tech i can't leverage in any way.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Eh -- the last Mac Pro had me buying optical drives we didn't get any utility from, and bluetooth we never used, and slots which we never filled. I don't think I've ever bought a computer that didn't have superfluous components which were unnecessary. Seems like a hollow complaint, since it's always been that way and will surely be that way for the foreseeable future.

Now I've got to buy a second GPU that probably won't be useful for my employees, but I don't have to pay for slots, internal storage capacity, or optical drives which aren't useful for my employees.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Eh -- the last Mac Pro had me buying optical drives we didn't get any utility from, and bluetooth we never used, and slots which we never filled. I don't think I've ever bought a computer that didn't have superfluous components which were unnecessary. Seems like a hollow complaint, since it's always been that way and will surely be that way for the foreseeable future.

Now I've got to buy a second GPU that probably won't be useful for my employees, but I don't have to pay for slots, internal storage capacity, or optical drives which aren't useful for my employees.

the question that has to be asked though (again, accounting coming through). is what is the cost of those extra components versus not?

Here with the GPU, we're not talking about a small "throw in" part that is generally considered standard without additional costs to the consumer.

the costs of Motherboards haven't dramatically gone up over time to start including things like bluetooth and pci-e slots and the like.

however, there is a significant cost involved with a mandatory additional 2nd GPU. its not chump change. The problem is, unlike things like bluetooth which give you options for expandibility that you can always find some way of using, even if it's in different ways, these GPU's are so specific in use right now, that it is very unlikely that someone who can't use GPU's now for work, will never use GPU's for work. at least with Bluetooth you could just go get bluetooth headsets for wirefree audio to unclutter your desk.

But I will agree with you, that if those things are there, and you have better opportunity cost for that $30 bluetooth module, it would have been nice for it to be made an option as well.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine

Why didn't you buy iMacs?
Doesn't seem like it made any sense for you to buy a mac pro?

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
thats not what I said

I said that those workstation GPU's are a major component of the cost of the new Mac Pro, and with absolutely zero options to downgrade from them, the new Pro is absolutely not a good buy for me because my work cannot in any way use those cards. Despite bieng a "professional". Apple is ignoring the fact that not all professionals in this world are in video production.

so, if i want an OSx based professional grade workstation that has hardware reasonably optioned for any other workload, I have no options.

gaming is always a nice. but not requirement. heck, i basically only play Counterstrike these days.. I think i could use a Geforce 3ti still for it

But don't tell me i'm not a professional computer user just because I have no use for 2x expensive workstation GPU's

Ya know...."skate where the puck is gonna be", right? At this point in time, opening a second GPU to leverage computational power (Apple's goal, not just for FCP and video rendering), is brilliant. We are seeing stacked cores and multi core/Hyper Threading/Turbo boost because of reaching the limits of silicon and 'Moore's Law'. Developers know this. Coders are aware. Sooooo many 'other' updates to the rig, it's hard to believe you're chief complaint IS something that WILL be taken advantage of....and in the short term. GPGPU computing is and WILL be the bridge between now and Nano or Graphene silicon speed and chip design. Look at Intel's new iGPU....the CrystalWall 5200. More computational power than nVidia's GT650! That's AMAZING!!!! The CPU designers get it. Hardware builders understand it *Apple. Developers, especially engineering, heavy code compilation, CAD, and YES!!!!! I truly believe my industry (audio) indeed will benefit from this move. We ALL Will!!! It won't happen over night....buy as an early adopter of the rMBP, I remember the same line of bull when discussing developers updating their software for HiDPI optimization. Nearly EVERY app I use (less 2) have been updated....in a year!

You don't have to early adopt. If it's not for you yet....cool! Give it a bit, for some reason though, I'm not seeing ANYTHING on the market at a better price FOR you and FOR what you do with the speed and the I/O options than the nMP. PCIe SSD local storage, FAST silicon, and in a pretty sexy package with incredible post purchase support

all i'm trying to say is that it's the opposit that is true.

Apple is catering to an extremely niche group. Media Production in the computer world is actually a very very very very tiny fraction. This new Mac pro is more directed towards a smaller target audience than their last pro was, purely because they are dictating what has to be there, rather than giving choice.

It's where they CAN start and show an immediate and revolutionary improvement. There isn't ANYthing the new machine can't do the last one could and in every measure, faster! It's not like buying this one will slow you down in the least. Quite the opposite. It's guaranteed to be faster than your current confiugration....more expandable, smaller, lighter, more efficient....and from your described needs...a machine that could easily last you a half decade or more

the nMP in it's current configuration will only be as powerful as equal machines with the same CPU for industries that have no ability to leverage those GPU's.

if those GPU's, as estimated are roughtly 50% of the costs involved with the nMP, your performance per dollar of actual use is quite low.

the whole thing banks on GPGPU standards that Apple is pushing being adopted heavily. There are some who will, but there are still a lot of industries that don't really benefit from this.

if Apple chose to for example, keep the same design of this case, rip out 1 of the GPU's and then give a cheaper option for the other GPU, while keeping the ECC ram, Xeon CPU, and everything else thats amazingly fast, but sell it for 1,999 instead of 2,999, as a base I think it woudl have been a better option.

Then let the who want those GPU's upgrade to them or better if they need them.
edit: removing the use of consumer: i'm using it differently than I think most people intend in this particular conversation. when I say consumers, I mean everyone and anyone with purchasing power, including professionals, prosumers and the like.

You. Just. Don't. Get. It.
CPU Speeds are incremental...from now forward (for workstations, mobile is now where Moore's Law has moved). The NEXT step in workstation computing is GPGPU and leveraging OpenCL *Adobe Absolutely DOES support it, and continues to refine optimization* .....off loading calculations to the second GPU can increase processing power exponentially....saving minutes, hours, days for whatever your workflow is. Not. Just. Video.
Apple is going balls to the wall with FCPx....to SHOW they didn't have the idea to move motion editing to a Fisher Price piece of software on an outdated rig. Even Mari....still in Mac Beta (Pixar) usage feedback has been tremedous...FCPx came with a significant point update along with the Pro....and I can't fathom Aperture, Logic.....even our iLife suite including GarageBand and iMovie/Photo are far behind from leveraging GPU support.
It's been in the pipeline for some time....it's not new. Many software industries have been utilizing OpenCL than ever before...and don't forget, we've still got software optimized solely for single core usage!
Some will. Some won't. But truly....what is it that you REALLY do that you won't benefit from the new MP? Seriously....doesn't matter what you do (even gaming over 60fps....on a 60Hz display is essentially bragging rights!!! And tests have shown this guy to play AAA titles just fine in that FPS range!)

oh I already did, a few times in the last couple pages.

I used my own industry as an example, where a workstation with large amount of ECC ram, fast Xeon CPU's and the like would be excellent.

I for example work in banking and financial software industry. I'm not a developer but a installation technology analyst. I regularly use the high end database systems on local resources for testing purposes. Compiling code. running analysis against databases and manipulation of large amount of transactional data.

its just not something that GPU power is ever used for. is it possible? I dont know. There are smarter minds than my own who develop the backend platforms. however, currently that is not the way it works and in current iterations cannot support that sort of paralel scaling in any way.

if I could get the mac Pro for my desk here and at work but without the GPU's, it would be excellent. I like Mac's, and I own a macbook air and love it.

But I can't justify, especially to the accountants why i need a $3k budget for a machine that comes with parts that are unusable. Meanwhile, There really was no reason why apple didnt provide a machine without workstation GPU's and let people add them as options, like previous mac pros.

by ram rodding 2x workstation GPU's at everyone, no matter what, they've sort of artificially jacked the base price of the unit up. And made it a tough sell for anyone who does not have the ability to leverage the GPU's.

people are harping on the Verge article for being slightly biased. While they are in a sense, They did point out the fact that, unless those GPU's can be leveraged by the software, they are at the core, a money sink into an unusable hardware choice.

IMO, that will due to accountants and the like end up making the new Mac Pro a really tough sell outside of the media profession. those not doing video in Final Cut Pro, if they have to answer to any sort of corporate accountability, will have a hard time convincing the powers to be to hand over the money.

and if theres not enough purchasing going on, with such a remarkably small audience, it will be harder to convince software houses to invest in developing for it.

its a bit of a catch 22. Apple is trying to jump start it by releasing the hardware anyways. I'm just not convinced at this particular configuration, there's enough of an audience.

the unfortunate part, is that there are just some industries like mine that no matter what, cannot widely benefit from GPU processing.

Financial? And you're having a hard time justifying it's viability? It's a write off. It's going to do what you want faster than anything you've got now. Forget the second GPU for now. Two yeard down the road you may find your updated Quickbooks is running 1000% faster!

My Mac Pro tower has two USB and two FireWire ports on the front. That's not a "token" amount, it's enough for everyday use. Occasionally I have to access a port in the rear, but not often. I do keep a Lightning cable permanently plugged into the back of my tower so it's easy to connect iDevices without using up a front port.

On the iMac and Mini, all the ports are on the back, even the SD card slots, lol. So that's where we got the "idea" that Ive is hostile to ergonomic port placement.

Can you imagine iMac ports on the front? Have you a hard time spinning a mini? Why in the WORLD would ANYone have an issue with the port layout of the nMP? It's brilliant! We've always had the bulk of our ports and plugs 'in the back'. Now you can actually turn it without breaking YOUR back!

Daily.

USB mass storage devices for transferring data are still commonly used.

Daily----USB hubs. Available for some time now

Actually, that's what I would say, too.

Software development, for example, unless you can compile your app using GPGPU (which AFAIK no compiler supports). Also in my case, I need a LOT of VMs, so the number of cores (and memory) is more important than 2 GPUs (which are also not used in this scenario).

And even with software that can use 2 GPUs IN THEORY, it remains a theory until it is actually supported. Therefore the verge is mostly right.

We should look at facts and hard numbers, and not solely speculate on what MIGHT be happening in the future. And no, "automatic success" is neither guaranteed with OpenCL nor with thunderbolt. Apple already has failed in the past with their proprietary tech, so we will see what happens this time.

Web apps.

----------

Benchmarks, for example.

About every app that cannot fully leverage the nMP power. Ie all apps that are not able to support 2 GPUs via OpenCL. I hope I must not list them all, would take some time ;)

But think of Audio, Databases, VMs, Compilers etc

And if you think that OpenCL enabled Apps leverage the GPU for just everything, think twice.

I'm at a serious loss for why this wouldn't be an exceptional development machine. Especially with it's unbelievable display connectivity and awesome expandibility for out board storage, 1000/1000 read/write speeds, a TON of RAM, even portable if need be.

The support is coming....again, 'where the puck is going'

This can has been made for Pros? really, I guess they have never actually stepped foot into a Professional recording, dubbing, mastering, post mastering studio one bit.

It's all fine and dandy for graphic artist or video editors, but a lot of them will tell you that they do not think the design was intended for Pros.

For us in the recording industry, it really isn't thought out one bit. The lack of internal expandability means that you wil have a mess of wires running about the production desks (for those that do not have machine rooms to store their computers and other noisy equipment) where the occasional doped up artist (if just that and not drunk also) will have all the luxury of finding a way to actually have a mishaps with the computer.

There's also the fact that there's no reason for any of us who rely heavily on DSP cards to do the audio processing to actually have a need of the dual Graphical Processing Units, as the audio software will not be using it as there's no sense in it. Pro tools, Logic, Nuendo, Cubase, VEP5, REAPER, etc have no need for dual GPUs. That means that we who have invested thousands in cards would now have to invests thousands again just to get the required amount of expansion chassis which will be laying around our Machine rooms as most are not rack mountable either.

Truly this design is not catering to the pro in the music industry around the world, which the mac pro has been a staple in thousands of studios with multiple mac pro units for many of them.

Way to go apple.

I'm with ya. It's my bread n butter. I think it's coming and we'll see it with Logic first. I'd betcha.....within the next 18 months....P/Toold, Cubase and Nuendo will follow Logic. For plugins, more tracks, less latency, faster processing....it's inevitable.
I'm waiting (I've got an 09 and 10 Mac Pro with a lot of FW4/800 gear, older Logic plugins we run on 10.6, etc)....I've also got a pretty spendy PCIe interface (Sound card) for a SoundCraft console that I'm leary of....BUT, I've got hope. I tend to buy my software and plugins from the bigger companies with HOPES they'll follow suit...keep up with the times. Regardless, as is, this Machine will SMOKE either of my Pros (My '10 is a fast n loaded 12 core for After Effects primarily....as well as Smoke as we do a LOT of video as well).
Again...I'm with ya, but as an audio producer in Alaska, I do A lot of traveling. I'm excited for this machine's portability (and power in package per pound) when necessary vs. the new rMBPs.

I'm excited....but I know what you mean. Even with our Apogee Symphony gear I'm a bit anxious:)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Ya know...."skate where the puck is gonna be", right?

The problem is that for some kinds of applications the puck may never be where Apple is skating to. Or it may not get there for years, at which point users will be on to the next generation of hardware. Remember the 64 bit hardware in the G5 towers? Which never got 64 bit support, they dumped it for intel machines before those made it to 64 bit OS or apps.

It's funny that your main use is audio, I keep hearing that audio processing just isn't a good fit for GPU hardware. If Apple really wanted to convince the audio folks the latest update to Logic would have at least something that took advantage of GPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.