Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Based on what I've read about SATA, my Western Digital 1 TB Black Caviar drives should be able to read and write faster than 50 MB/sec. But that's the best I've gotten from anything. I thought I could expect 300 MB/sec, or 150 at the very least. What's the deal? This is a 2008 8 core 2.8 Mac Pro, by the way.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Well, there's various speeds a typical drive can deliver:

Sustained I/O
Burst I/O
Cache I/O
Random I/O

Copying many small files from one drive to another is an example of Random I/O - Usually about 5 ~ 50 MB/s.
Copying a large file or loading one is an example of Sustained I/O - Usually 70 ~ 120 MB/s
Cache I/O is reading or loading anything already in the drive's cache - can be as high as 2 GB/s (mine typically hits 1.3 ~ 2 GB/s)
And I'm not too sure when or why burst kicks in nor what speeds are achieved - others might know.

There are I/O accelerators but I don't think Mac OS X supports them. They're usually around 500 GB or less (optionally battery backed) and have their own processor. It's a bit like adding a massive L2 cache to the SAS or SATA bus.

bzshutter

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Based on what I've read about SATA, my Western Digital 1 TB Black Caviar drives should be able to read and write faster than 50 MB/sec. But that's the best I've gotten from anything. I thought I could expect 300 MB/sec, or 150 at the very least. What's the deal? This is a 2008 8 core 2.8 Mac Pro, by the way.

50 sounds about right for a single drive. It's unlikely to give you 150 mb/s sustained transfer in real world apps. I only get about 150 mb/s on a 3 drive RAID 0 array.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Wow! That's pretty bad! I'm getting between 250 MB/s and 400 MB/s tho usually on the lower end. (3 Drive RAID 0)

clamnectar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2009
this is time machine backing up / duplicating a single 4 GB file. From the sounds of it, I'm not too far off the curve, so I guess everything's working correctly.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Wow! That's pretty bad! I'm getting between 250 MB/s and 400 MB/s tho usually on the lower end. (3 Drive RAID 0)
my iMac gets 80MB sustained read/write, no RAID. does that count?? :p

this is time machine backing up / duplicating a single 4 GB file. From the sounds of it, I'm not too far off the curve, so I guess everything's working correctly.

well there you have it. you can't go off Time machine benchmarks because it runs REALLY really slowly (has to update the database, runs as a lower priority task blaablaa). copy a large file to another folder or something and see how you go.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2009
duplicating a 4 gigabyte file: zigzagging between 60 MB/sec and 40 MB/sec, as measured by activity monitor. the graph looks like a mountain range. duplicated the same file three times, always the same speed.

frimple

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2008
Denver, CO
So, I just want to understand the question. Your assumption was that the hard drive you purchased would preform better in a mac pro than it would in test machines that yielded 50MB/sec, and you want to know "what gives"?

Also the numbers you mention 300MB/s and 150 sound suspiciously like you're anticipating your drive throughput to be a direct product of the SATA bandwidth.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
duplicating a 4 gigabyte file: zigzagging between 60 MB/sec and 40 MB/sec, as measured by activity monitor. the graph looks like a mountain range. duplicated the same file three times, always the same speed.

my guess is because its is copying to the same HD, has to work a lot harder.. maybe try to copy to another disk/external drive?

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan

Yeah, I think that's about right for "duplicating" a file on the same HDD.

Knowing BSD tho I bet there's a system variable hiding out somewhere that will allow the buffer size to be increased. This might speed it up a bit. Maybe zig-zag between 60 and 90 MB/s or something. :D Also a file that size and you can time it pretty accurately with a stopwatch.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2009
you're indeed right. i'm not sure why i didn't think of it, but duplicating is slower because the drive heads are reading and writing. copying that same 4 gig file to one of the other drives gives me 100 MB/sec. definitely a solid speed.

thanks for clearing up some of my misconceptions.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I managed to get 105Mb/sec between two WD Blacks 1TB.

They were totally empty, I was seeing how quick I could get them :p

12Gb H264 file, peaked at 106.4, min at like 87 towards the end.

Blazing fast!

Even managed to get 66Mb/sec across Gigabit :D

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Kewl! Data type also matters as I believe all HDDs these days are RLE. RLE is a kind of compression. So for example if you're doing that with a 12GB uncompressed AVI of nothing but a solid color it should be considerably faster than if your 12GB AVI is of already compressed data or contains temporal deltoid change. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.