Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When is your Mac Pro Shipping?

• I already got my Mac Pro!

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Shipping between August 25th and September 1st.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Shipping between September 2nd and September 9th

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Shipping between September 10th and September 18th

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Shipping after September 18th.......

Votes: 27 25.5%

• Total voters

cjkihlbom

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
Renovatio said:
Purchased mine 24 Aug estimated ship 21 Sep with ATI and Airport/BT. My dual 30" monitors are slated to arrive on Monday. I sure hope everyone is right and the computer ships sooner than later ... otherwise I'll go insane staring at those two monitors with no Mac Pro to run them :D

I hear ya! I got my 30" ACD on Friday, but won't get my Mac Pro until next week (if Apple keeps their shipping date of Aug 29)... GAAAAH!!

For now I've got the 30" hooked up to my MacBook, which can only run 1280x800 on it... Everything is huuuuge :)

ampd

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
credit card showing a major decrease in available credit which means my mac pro is goin on soon, and should be shipping very very soon or if not already...so excited...

Purchased on release
Est. Ship: Sept. 5th
Est. Delivery: Sept. 12th

Any day now...

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
Renovatio said:
Can someone explain this to me more? (feel free to PM so as to keep this on-topic) I have heard both sides of the debate of burning in headphones ... but never of burning in a computer. Is this really beneficial?

Actually we used to do this when I worked at a PC dealer back in the 'old days', the thought was, if something is going to break, it's either going to break in the first 48 hours of use, or two days after the warranty runs out. Also, a good run though of the system will ensure that any major problems (like the macbook's heat problems) are noticed early before they can do any damage. After all, these are rev. A machines and, it'll also let you know if any of your memory/drives shook loose during shipping.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
relimw said:
Also, a good run though of the system will ensure that any major problems (like the macbook's heat problems) are noticed early before they can do any damage. After all, these are rev. A machines and, it'll also let you know if any of your memory/drives shook loose during shipping.
Sounds like a good idea, but in response to chatin's comment about a 72 hour "burn in" period, I'd like to see some evidence that that will somehow make the computer better. Undoubtedly I'll be using it a LOT when I first get it, but still.

A friend who recently built his own PC went through a break in period with leaving it on during the day and turning it off at night... I think the goal was to heat and cool it a lot? Something having to do with the thermal paste on the CPU? It sounded kinda silly to me, but I've never built a PC from scratch.

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I'm not convinced by the need to "burn in" your Mac Pro and certainly won't be doing so with mine. It seems rather a waste of electricity and I doubt whether thermal paste needs that amount of time to cure or whatever it does.

Does Apple recommend a burn in? If not, then it's not necessary.

Trippy Jr

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
atticus1178 said:
Got mine from the Apple Store, no wait time. And no Airport, Bluetooth, bigger hard drive, upgraded graphics card... :D

I fixed that for you, you left out some words. :)

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
Austin, Texas
Trippy Jr said:
I fixed that for you, you left out some words. :)

I am just glad to have the fastest Mac ever made (besides the 3.0).

Also, I have a Bluetooth dongle, no need. And a 500 GB External HD, no need for the upgrade there.

I am going to wait to upgrade to a good graphics card later.

So I am plenty happy with this computer. SOOOO fast!

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
Getting an upgraded hard drive BTO is so damned stupid.

Listen to this:

By downgrading to the 160GB drive, you save about $70.

On Newegg, a Seagate 250GB SATA drive that's better than the one included in the Mac Pro, with 16MB cache versus 8 among other improvements costs no more than $85. So essentially, for $15 more than buying the 250GB from Apple, you'll have a FASTER 250GB and the 160GB Apple gives you. I don't know how they get away with this.

Renovatio

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2006
Granger, IN; USA
ampd said:
credit card showing a major decrease in available credit which means my mac pro is goin on soon, and should be shipping very very soon or if not already...so excited...

Purchased on release
Est. Ship: Sept. 5th
Est. Delivery: Sept. 12th

Any day now...

Mine too!!!! I'm super-excited!!! They just charged my CC the remaining balance equal to the cost of my Mac Pro. Legally they can only do this if they are shipping it ... oh please oh please :D

Renovatio

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2006
Granger, IN; USA
cjkihlbom said:
I hear ya! I got my 30" ACD on Friday, but won't get my Mac Pro until next week (if Apple keeps their shipping date of Aug 29)... GAAAAH!!

For now I've got the 30" hooked up to my MacBook, which can only run 1280x800 on it... Everything is huuuuge :)

Yeah, I have a rev a 17" Powerbook and from what I heard it can't support even one 30" ... won't even run Motion which kills me. But that will all be history soon ...

Trippy Jr

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
Mr. Mister said:
Getting an upgraded hard drive BTO is so damned stupid.

Listen to this:

By downgrading to the 160GB drive, you save about $70.

On Newegg, a Seagate 250GB SATA drive that's better than the one included in the Mac Pro, with 16MB cache versus 8 among other improvements costs no more than $85. So essentially, for $15 more than buying the 250GB from Apple, you'll have a FASTER 250GB and the 160GB Apple gives you. I don't know how they get away with this.

Because most people don't want to install bits and pieces themselves, even on a pro machine.

And you may think it's so damn stupid, and I primarily listed it as an example, but anyway... my Mac Pro is coming with the first drive upgraded to a 500GB. Why? Because I operate three computers at any one time. One is a desktop, which will shortly be the Mac Pro, and the other two are laptops - a PB/MBP and a Windows laptop.

So, as you see, outside of the Mac Pro, I will have no use for a SATA drive. So, rather than buy a 160, swap it out and stick in a new 500, I'll have a 500 delivered, buy three more 500s, and not be left over with a useless 160.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I'm willing to bet a lot of the people here that have an expected ship date before friday of next week will have theirs shipped out tmmw.

Mine was due to be shipped on a thursday and was instead shipped out the previous monday. It was also expected to arrive the following monday, but instead arrived thursday, the day it was supposed to ship out in the first place.

The majority of people who have ordered a Mac Pro received it a good amount before the expected date, so unless you got overnight shipping, I would expect the Mac Pro about a week early.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Can everyone with a X1900XT in their Mac Pro still cancel their order?

If you go to your order, and click "View order details", and then click "Cancel Items" you can see whether they've started building it yet or not.

Don't click "Cancel Items" on your account page. You need to be inside the order already, and then on the right side of the page, theres the Cancel Items button.

My Mac Pro can still be canceled which means they haven't started building it yet.

Has anyones Mac Pro with X1900XT started being built?

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
I was thinking about what you said about the X1950 possiblity, anyone else think that the card will be the 1900 but with the 1950s cooling system?

Apple seems to be putting a lot of emphasis (thankfully) on the acoustics of the Mac Pro. The RAM note about using the wrong heatsinks (spreaders) on the FB-DIMMs interferring with "the acoustical performance" really sticks out. So maybe the cards themselves are ready, but they're waiting on the cooling system from the X1950?

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
I don't know how long my mac pro blog willl last!

I'm not sure how RAM heat spreaders could interfere with the acoustics. I'm so happy with my mac pro that I started a blog in my sig!

:p

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
It'll make the fans spin faster, though Apple used a very diplomatic and politically correct way of saying it. LOL And I'll give the blog a looksee now to induce more torture on my wait. :D

Renovatio

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2006
Granger, IN; USA
macgeek2005 said:
Can everyone with a X1900XT in their Mac Pro still cancel their order?

If you go to your order, and click "View order details", and then click "Cancel Items" you can see whether they've started building it yet or not.

Don't click "Cancel Items" on your account page. You need to be inside the order already, and then on the right side of the page, theres the Cancel Items button.

My Mac Pro can still be canceled which means they haven't started building it yet.

Has anyones Mac Pro with X1900XT started being built?

My Mac Pro is listed is "CANNOT be cancelled" ... my credit card is showing the amount as being billed ... oh dare I hope?

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
I've got a bit of a problem on my hands here.

I've decided to cancel my order, and reorder with a 160GB hard drive. It's a much better deal. I can then buy 2 320GB hard drives from Newegg!

However, the iPod that was in the order with the Mac Pro has already shipped.

If I cancel the Mac Pro now, does that mean I can never get the rebate on the iPod?

What can I do in this situation? Apple is closed right now, I tried to call them.

Is there something i'm not aware of?

Also, in terms of the technical side of this, can I take out the 160GB drive when the computer arrives, before even starting it up? Then I'd put in 2 320GB drives, one as master, one as slave, and i'd boot up the computer, stick in the software CD, and install the system.... that's fine right?

Then could I put the 160GB in slot 3, set on Cable Select? How does it work?

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
Renovatio said:
My Mac Pro is listed is "CANNOT be cancelled" ... my credit card is showing the amount as being billed ... oh dare I hope?
Dare I hope too.... LOL Please keep us updated (especially when you get that email with a tracking number etc). :)

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
macgeek2005 said:
I've got a bit of a problem on my hands here.

I've decided to cancel my order, and reorder with a 160GB hard drive. It's a much better deal. I can then buy 2 320GB hard drives from Newegg!

However, the iPod that was in the order with the Mac Pro has already shipped.

If I cancel the Mac Pro now, does that mean I can never get the rebate on the iPod?

What can I do in this situation? Apple is closed right now, I tried to call them.

Is there something i'm not aware of?

Also, in terms of the technical side of this, can I take out the 160GB drive when the computer arrives, before even starting it up? Then I'd put in 2 320GB drives, one as master, one as slave, and i'd boot up the computer, stick in the software CD, and install the system.... that's fine right?

Can somebody please help me with this?

Is there a way I can change the order? I'm gonna call apple tommorow at 5am PST when they open, and hopefully it won't be too late then.

But first I need to know: Can they change BTO options in your order by phone? Or do you HAVE to cancel the order, and reorder...

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
macgeek2005 said:

For the first part, I'm not sure. I think to work, they'd both have to have the same web order number, so if you cancel then I don't know if it'd work. You'll have to call Apple tomorrow and check it with them.

For the second, you can do that, yes. The one thing you'll want to be sure of is that when you format the hard drive (just startup off the System Restore Discs, go to File and choose Disk Utility), be sure to do it as a GUID Partition Table. It's under the Partition tab, then choose options. That's the only format that can be used as a bootup volume on the Intel Macs.

Last part, there are no jumpers to set master, slave, cable select etc. One of the really nice things about Serial ATA. You'll just have to screw the drive into the holder and slip it in. :)

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
kered22 said:
For the first part, I'm not sure. I think to work, they'd both have to have the same web order number, so if you cancel then I don't know if it'd work. You'll have to call Apple tomorrow and check it with them.

For the second, you can do that, yes. The one thing you'll want to be sure of is that when you format the hard drive (just startup off the System Restore Discs, go to File and choose Disk Utility), be sure to do it as a GUID Partition Table. It's under the Partition tab, then choose options. That's the only format that can be used as a bootup volume on the Intel Macs.

Last part, there are no jumpers to set master, slave, cable select etc. One of the really nice things about Serial ATA. You'll just have to screw the drive into the holder and slip it in. :)

I've never heard of GUID, and I never had to do that with my ATA-IDE drives in my G4, and I don't see it in Disk Utility...

When I put new Seagate hard drives in my G4, I just erased them, therefore creating one partition, the size of the hard drive, and then I could install the System on it.

Edit: Nevermind, got it.

Does Disk utility tell you which drive is in Slot 1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.