Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Lots of excitement here, chip releases tomorrow...

Maybe they will retire the Mac Pro after all, and give us something better with a cool new name...

I really, really hope Apple releases new Mac Pros for tomorrow. But... tomorrow is the day before the iPad 3 (or whatever they are going to call it) announcement/event.

The Mac Pro may occupy a very small amount of Apple's attention but there is no way they release anything that might draw even the slightest bit of attention from their holiest of holy iPad.

I hope I'm wrong :eek:

iNeedAMacPro

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
I really, really hope Apple releases new Mac Pros for tomorrow. But... tomorrow is the day before the iPad 3 (or whatever they are going to call it) announcement/event.

The Mac Pro may occupy a very small amount of Apple's attention but there is no way they release anything that might draw even the slightest bit of attention from their holiest of holy iPad.

I hope I'm wrong :eek:

I don't recall the last Mac Pro refreshes as being an event, they mainly updated their website. I suppose this will happen this time too but you might be right that the attention is on the iPad now so we might have to wait 3-4 weeks.

Another thing to consider (as someone said already), though, is that it will not be a good choice to delay the Mac Pro more because other companies in the PC world have their Intel Xeons E5 workstation ready to be sold. So, if there is going to be a new Mac Pro, it will be released soon.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I don't recall the last Mac Pro refreshes as being an event, they mainly updated their website. I suppose this will happen this time too but you might be right that the attention is on the iPad now so we might have to wait 3-4 weeks.

Your mixing Apples and Macs (I mean oranges) ;) I doubt one has any effect on the others plans.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Oh so your saying it doesn't take any talent today to do good music?

not at all.

the way i read it, you're saying that you have talent. and that those of us wanting more powerful mac pro's are overly-reliant on technology and perhaps don't have the matching talent.

so... i have a link in my signature to my band's album; i've put out there what i've got. let's hear what you've got.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
That is why they need a new one! :D

The scary part is .. Apple doing just perfectly fine without a MacPro, or even without Macs.

My point earlier was, Apple still able selling many of Apple Thunderbolt Display even without MacPro (which at the moment can't utilize it anyway since no Thunderbolt support yet on MacPro).

It's like Apple doesn't owe MacPro anything today, or in the need/rush to give it an update boost, they could just ditch it tomorrow, just like Macbook White, maybe with a few complains and that's it, Apple would still doing just fine.
MacPro really need love and caring, but Apple just don't have to do it anymore. It really hangs on Apple's mercy.

With that said..
I really really like MacPro, I really want to get one IF Apple ever care and update this beast again. But the fact is just grim, I believe MacPro is collecting dust on Apple Campus right now, and the "MacPro team" either moved to iPad or iPhone team, or ditched too :(

If you're talented, an iMac is enough really these days for music production if using a DSP processing solution.

Oh yeah? really? And why top score Hollywood musician like Hans Zimmer still use a MacPro in his studio?

You know he's real talented, and if he ever given a puny laptop to work on, his works would still be equally awesome. But really, why would he choose to use a MacPro? Just for some iTunes break time, or post on his Twitter, I guess? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
the way i read it, you're saying that you have talent. and that those of us wanting more powerful mac pro's are overly-reliant on technology and perhaps don't have the matching talent.

so... i have a link in my signature to my band's album; i've put out there what i've got. let's hear what you've got.

You're right. I'm in, here's mine: http://www.mennodeboer.com/site/album.html

It's an older jam (2008), made entirely on a Roland Fantom X7 and....[wait for it]...mixed on an iMac! :D

Last edited:

yeseter

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010

Please,dear apple give me exactly 666 days of upgrade cycle.I will be yours for the rest of my life.
Not really,but some of my hard earned money will be heading your way.

Last edited:

Mac2012

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
not at all.

I NEVER said you weren't talented, just fooled to believe that a faster computer means a better session. People recorded great music that's timeless on 48 track machines... an iMac can play back 300 easily, VI's are a bit more involved so render before you open another up because concurrency isn't the iMacs strengths... actually no machine can pull off anything so you need to know your limits and even with the fastest MP, there's limit so quit acting like they don't! I watch people on windows machines even squeeze more performance than a Mac because of OSX's terrible memory management. I could really take it or leave the arrogance about your music because if your into touting about your band, your a bit vain to think EVERYONE'S going to like it...
It's no surprise I don't like it, and you wouldn't like my stuff either... who cares? You do obviously... Sorry, not going to expose who I am just understand that an iMac is able to produce great stuff if you are talented...

----------

The scary part is .. Apple doing just perfectly fine without a MacPro, or even without Macs.

My point earlier was, Apple still able selling many of Apple Thunderbolt Display even without MacPro (which at the moment can't utilize it anyway since no Thunderbolt support yet on MacPro).

It's like Apple doesn't owe MacPro anything today, or in the need/rush to give it an update boost, they could just ditch it tomorrow, just like Macbook White, maybe with a few complains and that's it, Apple would still doing just fine.
MacPro really need love and caring, but Apple just don't have to do it anymore. It really hangs on Apple's mercy.

With that said..
I really really like MacPro, I really want to get one IF Apple ever care and update this beast again. But the fact is just grim, I believe MacPro is collecting dust on Apple Campus right now, and the "MacPro team" either moved to iPad or iPhone team, or ditched too :(

Oh yeah? really? And why top score Hollywood musician like Hans Zimmer still use a MacPro in his studio?

You know he's real talented, and if he ever given a puny laptop to work on, his works would still be equally awesome. But really, why would he choose to use a MacPro? Just for some iTunes break time, or post on his Twitter, I guess? :rolleyes:
Okay, you said his work on a laptop would still be awesome... are you sure?
Listen to yourself... you go in circles man. Are you okay?

----------

thank you!

the album was mixed in PTLE. that song was all live instruments, some of the other stuff is a combo of live and Reason and GB.
YES!!!!! It was all real musicians on an iMac! See, I'm right! Due to my label, I can't give up who I am but there's the proof... great stuff by the way, an iMac can create GREAT music in a talented persons hands... if you want to so synthetic stuff, maybe a room full of rack mounted tone generators would be best like in the old days OR, just render as audio...

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
I NEVER said you weren't talented, just fooled to believe that a faster computer means a better session.
you're still not reading me.

i've been on a firewire system, on a g5 mac, for years. the only point of failure is high latency when tracking, and that throws off performance. it's not a "faster computer" that makes a better session, it's a pci based system and its lower latency that does. that's the part the mac pro provides that the imac doesn't.

yes, TB is pci-e, but the stopgap solutions for making pci-card adapter boxes are just now coming out. and yes, within a year companies like apogee and others will probably have direct-to-TB for their a/d and d/a converters, but that isn't now.

an iMac can play back 300 easily
not the point, see above. most of my mixes have only 1/10th those tracks, and i can easily mix them on a 7 year old machine w/o breaking a sweat.

I could really take it or leave the arrogance about your music
the point wasn't arrogance, it was simply asking you to showcase your stuff. i thought it more friendly to put mine out there first. you don't have to play if you don't want to.

----------

YES!!!!! It was all real musicians on an iMac!

most of it was done on a g3 ibook. hell, i started making music on a 512ke using Performer.

see above, the only point i'm making is about low-latency monitoring during tracking. for years, mac have been plenty powerful enough to record VIs, mix tons of tracks, and track from converters.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Apple (Jobs and Cook) actually has said that their first priority is making great products, not making money. I think their logic is that if they focus on making great products first, the money will follow.

Never take corporate logic at face value, no matter how much you like the company. If this really was the case, they would have addressed more of the details on their mature product lines.

Theres no excuse for completely ignoring the Mac Pro for the last 4 years. Apple's worth is now at half a trillion dollars. Theyve got over 80 billion dollars in cash.

So what if their iToys/iOS/iPhone are bringing in cash? How does that stop Apple from still putting any kind of attention to the Mac Pro?

You know... the workstation market aside from a few things has been somewhat stagnant in terms of design, and the stuff out there today is still Nehalem/Westmere. It's not the raw hardware in terms of cpu options that annoys me. What annoys me is that at their current prices, we still end up with a lot of sub-par drivers, bugs, and lack of features implemented in the mac pro.

Not to mention be able to connect it to basically every computer on the planet. I don't know a single person from school or work or friends that have a thunderbolt port.

I still hate that thunderbolt on the mac is as bad as it even being a first generation product. We don't have full displayport functionality. It's one port or two, and performance is affected by if you put a display in the chain. Then there are even limitations to that.

Are they really selling that many thunderbolt displays? It might be partially that they made it harder to use third party displays :rolleyes:. The lack of full displayport functionality makes me so mad. You can get 10 bit displayport on Linux and not OSX aside from a couple cards running Leopard (yes the original, not SL):mad:. I am unsure if it's a hardware limitation or somewhere in software. I haven't heard anything about it being included in Mountain Lion.

Mac2012

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
you're still not reading me.

i've been on a firewire system, on a g5 mac, for years. the only point of failure is high latency when tracking, and that throws off performance. it's not a "faster computer" that makes a better session, it's a pci based system and its lower latency that does. that's the part the mac pro provides that the imac doesn't.

yes, TB is pci-e, but the stopgap solutions for making pci-card adapter boxes are just now coming out. and yes, within a year companies like apogee and others will probably have direct-to-TB for their a/d and d/a converters, but that isn't now.

not the point, see above. most of my mixes have only 1/10th those tracks, and i can easily mix them on a 7 year old machine w/o breaking a sweat.

the point wasn't arrogance, it was simply asking you to showcase your stuff. i thought it more friendly to put mine out there first. you don't have to play if you don't want to.

----------

most of it was done on a g3 ibook. hell, i started making music on a 512ke using Performer.

see above, the only point i'm making is about low-latency monitoring during tracking. for years, mac have been plenty powerful enough to record VIs, mix tons of tracks, and track from converters.
Keep reinforcing what I'm saying... latency is in the interface. There's zero latency monitoring these days... I'm not arguing, just convinced.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Keep reinforcing what I'm saying... latency is in the interface. There's zero latency monitoring these days...
bottom line i guess is that you and i work differently. difference seems to be that you don't respect the way i work, or you think i should change my workflow to yours. me, i think there are a lot of ways to work, and it's up to each of us to find what works best for ourselves and our situations.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
HP announced it's new E5 boxes today. Now come on Apple!!! So has Tyan now.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007

"Our test suite is predominantly workstation-oriented. But even with lightly-threaded benchmarks folded in, the Xeon E5s were about 21% faster, on average, than the Xeon 5600s. After factoring out the tests you typically wouldn’t see on a workstation, the advantage grew just a hair to almost 23%."
But while comparing the Xeon E5s to the Xeon 5600s was interesting, I was more impressed by the efficiency calculation than any other piece of data. The Xeon E5-2687W is etched using the same 32 nm node. It’s way larger. And its TDP is 20 W higher per processor. Indeed, you can clearly see that, under full load, two Xeon E5-2687Ws draw more power from the wall than the Xeon X5680s. But the speed-up attributable to Intel’s Sandy Bridge architecture and two additional cores per socket outweighs the power spike, yielding better efficiency."

"It is pretty amazing that with the exception of two rendering applications with relatively mediocre scaling, the new Xeon is able to outperform the previous Xeons by a large margin, from 30% up to 60%. All that performance comes with lower energy consumption and a very fast I/O interface. Whether you want high performance per dollar or performance per watt, the Xeon E5-2660 is simply a home run."

Custommm

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Imagine...

Dual E5-2600
32 or 64 Gb Ram
All Sata 3 internal (up to 6 HD -SSD)
Biggest ass Video card
802.11 ac Wi-Fi
10GbE
Thunderbolt
UBB 3.0 (on board or with a 50 $ PCIe card)

Hmmmmmm Drooooooling

Keep sending Message to apple.com/feedback to make sure someone knows that iMac is beautiful but not enough for those with big needs.

Wish Apple will stand about making awesome pro-ducts not only awesome pro-fits.... (mean here that pro line hardware rake less than consumer,less expensive iDevice)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.