Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Ikasu

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2004
I had to decide whether or not to renew my subscription last week and reluctantly continued due to being tied into the email and relying on the syncing between computers.

If this comes true I am going to feel vindicated in not spending time transfering away only to want to come straight back on board.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
...*might* clog???
...would clog for sure!;)

It's a great idea for the future os...10.7 or 10.8! ;)
I wonder how long would it take me to backup and retrieved 125 GB of data... :rolleyes:
Wait, I only got 10GB available on my .Mac?:eek:

Let's assume you're a *normal* user that doesn't edit gigabytes of video or downloads truckloads of erotic and cinematic material all the time. Then Time Machine would just periodically sync the changes over, not your whole hard drive. I'd like an option to sync my documents folder for example, this way, all the important stuff is backed up. Things you have downloaded could be backed up by just storing the resources (i.e. URLs) so you can get them again.

Oh yea, you should have as much space on .Mac for Backups as you would have on your Mac, times 2. Example: My Macbook's Macintosh HD has 160 GB (replaces it with a Seagate drive), so the .Mac Time Machine Drive would have 320. That would be extremely useful for traveling people with laptops.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
So, you're the one who locked up hairball@mac.com...only to go and not renew it! :mad: ;)

Yeah, it's kind of crazy when I think about it....I'm paying $99 a year for just an @mac.com e-mail address. I haven't used the other features for a good 5 years. I hope they add something really compelling so I can justify the hundreds of dollars I've spent over the years for e-mail.

That is crazy!

If you take a .mac address do you have it forever even if you don't take up a subscription? I like my trial address, I don't want to lose it!

jbembe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Baltimore, MD
I have been quite irritated with .Mac since they changed the synchronization of the webpage in iLife-the only reason I used it (I don't care much for my email address.) Here's to hoping that they change my mind about my wasted money!

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Speed...

Is what .Mac needs, it's realy slow in my opinion,Syncing is great do.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
i have a feeling that .Mac might be packaged with either iLife or iWork for the price of $79.99. More likely with iWork.

.Mac + iWork package might give us the web 2.0 feature where we can use iWork softwares either on the Mac or on the web via .Mac.

that would be kinda cool if they give us this.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
i have a feeling that .Mac might be packaged with either iLife or iWork for the price of $79.99. More likely with iWork.

.Mac + iWork package might give us the web 2.0 feature where we can use iWork softwares either on the Mac or on the web via .Mac.

Nope! This is not going to happen. I was just billed for a re-new on .Mac. If this was going to happen people would not have been billed. Mark my words right here and right now- .Mac will not be cheaper, free or come bundled with some other software. It may have upgraded storage and features(I hope!)

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
I would like to see push email for the iphone and the ability to change the reply-to address. Faster upload and download speeds to the idisk would be nice but if I could have my first two wishes I would be a happy camper.

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
I sure hope not. :eek:

Regarding a .Mac update being the sole reason for the media event...

Absolutely not.

Johnathan Ive is going to be there. I assure you he did not redesign .Mac.

While there might be a .Mac update, you can be certain that a newly designed real-world product will also be presented.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Just a few minutes ago, I launched iCal and it started doing a sync. It came up with some sync conflicts, and this time .Mac was referenced as:
com.apple.DotMacLegacy

I'm pretty sure that's new. It implies that they have the new .Mac server up and running, and the old "legacy" one is just standing in until the launch tomorrow.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm not going to defend .Mac because it has been neglected but Jobs got embarrassed by Walt with his questioning .Mac. Steve Jobs does NOT like to be smacked on.Period. Call it ego or genius. It's still a fact.

I'd expect a BIG update to the .Mac system as a whole. With all the Leopard technologies coming out over the next 2 months I can almost guarantee a major update to the whole .Mac experience.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
For my purposes, it is worth the cash. I simply do not trust the security of gmail, yahoo, etc.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
I don't keep up with these sorts of things so I apologise if this is completely misinformed, but don't haven't Google been working with Apple recently? Could there be some sort of joint venture between the two on this .Mac update? If not, I can't see how Apple would avoid tredding on Googles toes.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm wondering if Apple will fix the excessively slow iDisk sync.. its never worked sinces its introduction... 3 or 4 years ago.

Simply adding more capacity to iDisk isn't good enough. .Mac needs real improvements, i.e., how about online editing of your iCal calendar, for instance?

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I'm wondering if Apple will fix the excessively slow iDisk sync.. its never worked sinces its introduction... 3 or 4 years ago.

Simply adding more capacity to iDisk isn't good enough. .Mac needs real improvements, i.e., how about online editing of your iCal calendar, for instance?

My sync works great with iDisk, never had a problem always pretty quick too. I do wish we had online iCal editing though.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Don't think so

Apple just took 99 Dollars from my credit card again, and i'm sure i'm not the only one who has been charched for the service

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I'm not going to defend .Mac because it has been neglected but Jobs got embarrassed by Walt with his questioning .Mac. Steve Jobs does NOT like to be smacked on.Period. Call it ego or genius. It's still a fact.

I'd expect a BIG update to the .Mac system as a whole. With all the Leopard technologies coming out over the next 2 months I can almost guarantee a major update to the whole .Mac experience.

Wasn't a smack-down at all. More like a softball. I bet Walt knew Apple was working on a new .Mac and wanted to give Steve a shot at pitching it. Steve didn't say much other than to confirm that they were working on it, but that was enough for the faithful to hang in there for the update.

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX

They really need to give it a big update from it's current status. I've "converted" lots of people to the Mac platform and when they ask me if they should get .mac, I tell them that I wish I could recommend it, but can't because it's just not worth the money to the average user. Yes...Sync, iDisk, and Backup are great reasons to get it, but the average user has one Mac and doesn't have a need for most of the stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.