Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Yeah, I know I'm in the minority, and .Mac does desperately need an upgrade. But, there's one feature that makes it worth it for me -- syncing. .Mac keeps my home and work computers in sync (Safari bookmarks, address book, etc) and that alone is worth every penny.

I'd love to see a storage increase, price drop and more, but until then I'll continue to buy a boxed copy off Amazon or eBay for about $59. Because it makes more sense than renewing online for $79. Go figure!
I agree about syncing, that's why I hope for seamless sync across the iPhone with .mac

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Do or die time for Apple and .Crap...I mean mac. My subscription comes up for renewal in Feb. As it stands I'm planning on dropping it due to its value. Apple better have something good to offer.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Let .mac EMail push to the iPhone

The one thing I will bet on for an improvement in .mac is push EMail for the iPhone. This seemed like such a natural.

I could also see lower prices and a free "back to my Mac" for all Leopard users.

Basically, much closer integration with Mac, iPhone, AppleTV. This - personal Internet storage - is the nexus that brings them all together regardless of physical location. It's not really how MUCH Internet storage you have, it is that this storage is available to all your Internet-connected devices no matter where they are in the world, and that they are available 24 hours even if some or all of your devices are temporarily offline or asleep.

It's like EMail. I can send you an EMail anytime, even if your computer is offline, because 'the Internet" stores it until you get back on and check it. This can be extended to many other kinds of services. If all your devices are on .mac, shouldn't I be able to transfer a file to your laptop or phone immediately, even if it is offline at the moment, using .mac as intermediate, transparent storage. I've uncoupled my uploading to you from your downloading from me. Or, using .mac as a transparent buffer, I can quickly upload a huge file (seemingly directly) to your phone, which (in reality via .mac) slowly trickles into your phone through EDGE and/or WiFi. Syncing and Time MAchine backups could be helped through this as well. This sort of transparent cache or buffer has tons of possibilities and I hope Apple will exploit some.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The one thing I will bet on for an improvement in .mac is push EMail for the iPhone. This seemed like such a natural.

I could also see lower prices and a free "back to my Mac" for all Leopard users.

Basically, much closer integration with Mac, iPhone, AppleTV. This - personal Internet storage - is the nexus that brings them all together regardless of physical location. It's not really how MUCH Internet storage you have, it is that this storage is available to all your Internet-connected devices no matter where they are in the world, and that they are available 24 hours even if some or all of your devices are temporarily offline or asleep.

It's like EMail. I can send you an EMail anytime, even if your computer is offline, because 'the Internet" stores it until you get back on and check it. This can be extended to many other kinds of services. If all your devices are on .mac, shouldn't I be able to transfer a file to your laptop or phone immediately, even if it is offline at the moment, using .mac as intermediate, transparent storage. I've uncoupled my uploading to you from your downloading from me. Or, using .mac as a transparent buffer, I can quickly upload a huge file (seemingly directly) to your phone, which (in reality via .mac) slowly trickles into your phone through EDGE and/or WiFi. Syncing and Time MAchine backups could be helped through this as well. This sort of transparent cache or buffer has tons of possibilities and I hope Apple will exploit some.

You my friend are getting very warm.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Just a few minutes ago, I launched iCal and it started doing a sync. It came up with some sync conflicts, and this time .Mac was referenced as:
com.apple.DotMacLegacy

I'm pretty sure that's new. It implies that they have the new .Mac server up and running, and the old "legacy" one is just standing in until the launch tomorrow.

Can anyone else confirm this? And is it something new, or has the current server always been called "legacy?"

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I'm slowly beginning to switch services away from .Mac...it'll be interesting to see if there is anything to keep me with them when I come up for renewal in January.

When you have sites like Flickr that offer unlimited uploading & storage for $25 a year, I have trouble understanding why Apple is so stingy with .Mac storage.

What they should do is integrate .Mac into Time Machine (when it comes out), so that all backup happens automatically onto .Mac web servers with unlimited storage for Time Machine.

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX

That is the type of thing that would fit perfectly into Apple's digital lifestyle theme. What they strive to do is allow every single product with an Apple logo to communication with each other. It is just expected. If it is made by Apple, it needs to be networked in with all my other Apples.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Hey Apple, please DO NOT make .Mac free. If you do then all the whiners will come and join and say, look at me I have an @mac.com email address so I'm cool, now give me more. :eek:

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
Shouldn't this be reason maybe not to except iMac updates tomorrow? Apple just said it wasn't about the iPhone or iPods. We understood this as it must be new macs.

There is still much reason to believe it is going to be new iMacs. But don't be shocked if it isn't.

My sentiment/concern exactly. When I saw the story, it was the first thing that popped into my head. Instead of iPod Hifi and a spiffy new leather iPod case, we might be getting a .Mac upgrade and some iTunes movie announcemets (maybe Beatles on iTunes?).

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
Hey Apple, please DO NOT make .Mac free. If you do then all the whiners will come and join and say, look at me I have an @mac.com email address so I'm cool, now give me more. :eek:

So you pay just to feel like an elitist? Methinks someone has issues...

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I think .mac needs to be simple as it has been, (with added features, storage space etc.)

But for its price-point it also needs to also offer the ability to access more advanced features (such as php & MySQL)

Just me $0.02

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
i think the greatest thing to be unveiled tomorrow will be the new iMac with lower price (especially if 17 inch is a goner)

20 inch for $1299 and 24 inch for $1799 would really rock. I do think 20 inch for $1299 is a realistic possibility too.

since Apple announced that this will be a MAC event, no iPod announcements.

and it's for 2 hours so it's gotta be more than iMac too.

my predictions:

new iMac
new iLife / iWork with spreadsheet
new Mac Pro maybe
new .Mac

should be enough for 2 hours. a small possibility of ultraportable exists i guess

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I bought .Mac back in February and have been quite happy with it - good reliable FTP which I use all the time, @mac.com email is quite cool.

I haven't used the syncronisation feature yet, as I only have one computer but it could come in handy.

But is it worth it for the price? Hell no. It is too overpriced for what you get - regardless of these nice features.

1GB storage is pish!

iSpud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
apple employees get free .Mac accounts?

Yes. At least I know retail employees do. When I worked there the rational seemed to be that "if your going to sell it, you need to have an account and know how to use it". Many employees I worked with LOVED .Mac but I personally didn't like recommending it to buyers. The only thing I loved was the .mac email, but it's hardly worth paying for if that's all you want.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
Forget Time Machine...it's utterly pointless... What if the Hard drive dies huh?? What we need is a remote storage like iDisk

As for those who have been billed today then .mac members might be able to download iWork/iLife from their account...and consequently to receive all updates.... who knows?

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Here's how it's gonna go down.

The new iMac is a full touchscreen interface, like the iPhone. It is an ultra-thin panel that pops off of its base and becomes a touch-interfaced tablet computer.

If you want a more conventional desktop Mac, then get the high end Mac Pro, or the new Mac mini, now with a Core 2 Duo. Plug either into the new Apple Display with iSight.

Concurrent with this, Apple is releasing iWork '08, which includes Charts for spreadsheets and a new fully Word-compatible version of Pages, making it a great MS-Office-killer.

They're also releasing iLife '08, which brings iChat into the iLife suite, because...

iLife will integrate into the new .Mac, which now has full VOIP telephony as part of its service. It also has a robust blog engine (tied to iWeb), plus a couple features you never really thought of before.

Oh, and the Apple TV will, of course, interact ingeniously with all of the above.

There. Now isn't that more interesting than some little .Mac upgrade?

:D

iSpud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Maybe the Mac Mini and AppleTV will merge, hence the rumors of the Mac Mini's demise. This would be similar to the merging of the iPod and iPod Photo into one line...

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
Maybe the Mac Mini and AppleTV will merge, hence the rumors of the Mac Mini's demise. This would be similar to the merging of the iPod and iPod Photo into one line...

except the difference there was that the ipod photo became the standard.

here you are implying that the appletv (with less features of the two) becomes the standard

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
In before ".Mac costs too much, I have this dirt cheap hosting company, and blah blah blah" whiners
Well... it does cost too much and hosting is dirt cheap now ;)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
.Mac IMNSHO needs

> More space 2/3GB

> More reliable (maybe under Leopard?)

> Not 1 but 3 real email accounts rather than aliases

> iPhone integration

> Ability to add new Macs and create their iDisk locally rather than requiring them to download everything on their first sync

> Access to a very comprehensive downloadable "switchers" video package about the Mac and how to use it. I would love to be able to hand people a DVD I had from Apple which they could watch to consider a Mac, and to know the basic differences between XP and Vista. Heaps of short educational bits on the OS and iLife. Plus lots of novice stuff that people relatively new to home machines could want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.