Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I think there's something fishy here!!!

How on earth do they fit a 13.3" display into a comp that is not 13" in any dimension?

The 13.3" is measured diagonally so yeah the actual width of the display is less than that. The MBA display is ~ 11.25 inches in width.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Don't believe the leaked specs. They are inaccurate.

The leaked price of almost 3k buys you a lot less.

appletastic

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
:eek: This is the first time Ive ever seen anyone talk bad about thinkpads. Usually everyone is glowing about them. Iam curious what was wrong with them that you didnt like?

In my last job I went through about 6 Thinkpads.. various problems, but mainly dodgy plastic casing falling apart. One day I opened one of them and the whole back exploded across the room.. Which was very funny..

From now on I try and avoid plastic laptops .. I hate the creaking and sharp edges etc.. That's why my Air arrives next week! :)

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
What a USELESS thread.

Call me when the Thinkpad runs OSX.

What a useless comment. Call me when you understand that most people don't give a toss about what OS they use.

Anyway, the 1.2Ghz will be the bargain basement model (if you can call a $3K laptop 'bargain basement'). I assume they'll issue more powerful models later.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
What a useless comment. Call me when you understand that most people don't give a toss about what OS they use.

Anyway, the 1.2Ghz will be the bargain basement model (if you can call a $3K laptop 'bargain basement'). I assume they'll issue more powerful models later.

3k lower powered significantly than a MBA SSD, crappy design and lackluster build quality. Don't see how anyone could want this machine. Apple actually used some engineering prowess to do what they did with the MBA. This Lenovo is overpriced garbage.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
I have to use a thinkpad at work and I do have too admit (painful fingers while typing) that its the best range out there if you have to use windows.

However, if it was MY money I would still go for the MBA. Its a nicer package and easier to integrate (admittedly apple) lifestyle, network etc.

The difference is its often not your own money these days and if you get too choose a new laptop for work, university etc and its a thinkpad or dell I know I would go for the thinkpad anyday

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Wow nice specs but it must be hella expensive. What is so good about thinkpads anyway? I'm not trying to diss them, I am generally interested. Besides their phyrsical ruggedness, what makes them so reliable (software-wise) as they are still running windows?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada

Actually for many people, the OS is just as important as hardware. Why do you think people buy Macs over lower priced and higher spec'd machines?

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy

It actually makes quite a difference, even when you least expect it. Some people are adamant about sticking with Windows, some people are adamant about using Mac OS X, even people that don't know much about computers.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
3k lower powered significantly than a MBA SSD, crappy design and lackluster build quality. Don't see how anyone could want this machine. Apple actually used some engineering prowess to do what they did with the MBA. This Lenovo is overpriced garbage.

I like the design of the MBA and will have one in a week or two (the thinness is irrelevant to me, the weight is the real priority, I dont care about tapered marketing nonsense).

But to question thinkpad's build quality is ridiculous. They have an amazing reputation for quality and reliability. They are business grade machines without the frills

Im typing on one from work and it has been bulletproof for over year. If the X300 ran Leopard and XPs2 I wouldn't even be looking at an AIR.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003

So the 5,000,000 who bought the leopard upgrade in the past 70 days don't give a toss about what OS they use?"

The 100,000,000 people who bought the XP upgrade don't give a toss about what OS they run?

The people who waited in line to upgrade to Win95 don't care?

The fact that Intel, Dell, Lenovo, Gateway, HP bet their earnings last year to Wall Street on people buying new computers to run Vista? And the tens of thousands of analysts who believed them? (Shame Vista was a disaster.)

Or how people are leaving for Linux or OS X don't give a toss either?

What I find so funny about comments like yours is you don't understand market segments. Yes, there are segments of the market which don't care nor understand what an OS is.

But there are tens of millions of people who do.

And for SOME people in the market, those who chose to run OS X, iLife, iWork, etc. the MacBook Air is their product of choice because it is the lightest laptop which runs OS X. And even if the Lenovo laptop was free, it wouldn't matter.

Useless comment? Only to you, my man. (ANd you're in for a sad disappointment if you don't see the bad news coming on the vaporware press release.)

To the 9 guys I know who bought MBA's, it was their #1 reason for buying the MBA. And to Apple, that's all they care about.

Kids these days...

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
I like the design of the MBA and will have one in a week or two (the thinness is irrelevant to me, the weight is the real priority, I dont care about tapered marketing nonsense).

But to question thinkpad's build quality is ridiculous. They have an amazing reputation for quality and reliability. They are business grade machines without the frills

Im typing on one from work and it has been bulletproof for over year. If the X300 ran Leopard and XPs2 I wouldn't even be looking at an AIR.

I don't care how good the machine is on the inside, if it isn't good looking on the outside, I am not buying it.

To be honest this "mba killer" Lenovo is a waste of space. Almost 3k for specs below that of a MBA. The leaked specs looked better, but it was obvious that it wasn't going to happen. The MBA did something amazing. Lenovo's isn't anything special. Anyone can do what they did with this thinkpad.

camarobh

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
The fact that Intel, Dell, Lenovo, Gateway, HP bet their earnings last year to Wall Street on people buying new computers to run Vista? And the tens of thousands of analysts who believed them? (Shame Vista was a disaster.)

You have this part backwards....people aren't buying new computers to run Vista, they get Vista when they buy the computer (except for Apple of course). The only way that Vista achieves the sales numbers it does is due to pre-installation agreements with hardware manufacturers.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
You have this part backwards....people aren't buying new computers to run Vista, they get Vista when they buy the computer (except for Apple of course). The only way that Vista achieves the sales numbers it does is due to pre-installation agreements with hardware manufacturers.

That certainly had an affect, but also there were many people who wanted to run Vista (expecting it to be better) but found that it required specs beyond their current computer's capabilities to run smoothly, and were thus forced to buy a new machine.

camarobh

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Agreed, but....

That certainly had an affect, but also there were many people who wanted to run Vista (expecting it to be better) but found that it required specs beyond their current computer's capabilities to run smoothly, and were thus forced to buy a new machine.

Agreed, but I bet the number of people who ended up with Vista because they ordered a new machine far exceeds the number of people who wanted it in the first place. Think about it, virtually every PC manufactured today (with the exception of Apple) defaults to Vista when you buy it. It is automatic market share.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
yeap
now we know how MS can afford to offer $45 billion for Yahoo lol
insane considering Apple only has $16 billion in the bank

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Agreed, but I bet the number of people who ended up with Vista because they ordered a new machine far exceeds the number of people who wanted it in the first place. Think about it, virtually every PC manufactured today (with the exception of Apple) defaults to Vista when you buy it. It is automatic market share.

I don't know about this. Before people found out about the truth about Vista vs. XP, I suspect a lot of people were looking forward to a better OS. I certainly know a lot who were, and ended up rather disappointed. But then, I'm not really disagreeing with you, just wondering aloud. I really have no idea, but it'd be interesting to see the numbers.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
Before people found out about the truth about Vista vs. XP, I suspect a lot of people were looking forward to a better OS.

I was one of those people. I have 3 systems that I upgraded to Vista when it came out. I had to downgrade all 3 back to XP within 2 months due to software incompatibilities and performance.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
In my last job I went through about 6 Thinkpads.. various problems, but mainly dodgy plastic casing falling apart. One day I opened one of them and the whole back exploded across the room.. Which was very funny..

From now on I try and avoid plastic laptops .. I hate the creaking and sharp edges etc.. That's why my Air arrives next week! :)

A thinkpad ate my baby. Hyperbole much?

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Speaking of useless comments.

To me the hardware doesn't matter. If it's not running OS X, then that Lenovo is a 3 lb paperweight. And I don't need any of those.

That's the whole point. I've had a Thinkpad. It was nice machine, but no matter how nice it is or the specs on it, it still runs Windows. I have hated Windows since I started using it at version 2.1. It's still not anywhere near OS X yet. Yes, there are more games for Windows, but games (imho) do not and should not be considered actual "software" for computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.