Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haso4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
Hi,

I have a M1 Max MacBook Pro and have a problem I have tried to boot it on while the lid is closed after I shut it down completely but it does not work. I tried to charge it with the MagSafe cable and with a usb c cable connected to my monitor (LG). I sadly had played with the:
sudo nvram auto-boot and sudo nvram AutoBoot command setting them to false or true. Funny thing is that my MBP is booting when I open the lid or try to charge it while the lid is open and it is turned off (MagSafe & Usb-c).

Is there anything I can do? I really like to use a vertical stand where I have to just plug in a cable and my MBP boots up and I get a external monitor.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
There isn’t a way round it sadly, the only real solution is to just put your system to sleep and restart when needed.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Haso4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
There isn’t a way round it sadly, the only real solution is to just put your system to sleep and restart when needed.
The thing is when I had first bought it I vaguely remember that it did turn on but I had tinkered with the nvram after that it did not work but I’m not sure how to reset that to factory.

Haso4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
No, do not. The easiest thing to do is set up a Hot Corner whereby moving your external mouse or trackpad wakens the Mac.
But is it safe to make my Mac sleep so long? I sometimes do not use it for several weeks? Is it bad for it?

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
why wouldn’t it be safe to put your max to sleep? My M1 Max has lid closed unless it is being actively used, I have some processes which wake it from sleep time to time. I haven’t shut down my MBP in over a decade except for the 2019 MBP, which was one of the worst macs I ever owned.

Reactions: JustAnExpat

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
The thing is when I had first bought it I vaguely remember that it did turn on (...)
Did you have an Intel MacBook before and perhaps confuse the two? There it definitely works.

They must be able and set to auto-boot (auto booting when opening the lid). Which Apple Silicon MacBooks always are.
The MacBook must be connected to an external display (directly or via hub). Then, when the power cable is connected, it boots.
If the display is connected via a hub, the MacBook must receive the power (trigger) via USB-C PD.

Contradictory to most other information, for some users it seems to be possible on Apple Silicon Macs as well:

Last edited:

Haso4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
Did you have an Intel MacBook before and perhaps confuse the two? There it definitely works. They must be set to auto-boot (auto booting when opening the lid). Which Apple Silicon MacBooks always are.
The MacBook must be connected to an external display (directly or via hub). When I connect the power cable, it boots.
I have one MacBook/hub that only does a cold boot in clamshell mode if the power supply is connected to the hub and the MacBook receives the power (trigger) via USB-C PD.

It seems to be possible on Apple Silicon Macs as well:
No this is my first Mac tbh but what do you mean with when it’s connected to a monitor? You mean than it boots up if it’s turned off or when it’s sleep I’m confused?

Are there any dockingstations any of you can recommend maybe with a powerbutton like dell or Lenovo? I know that Lenovo or dell won’t work because they only work with their own brand as far as I know but maybe there are some third party ones

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
No this is my first Mac tbh but what do you mean with when it’s connected to a monitor? You mean than it boots up if it’s turned off or when it’s sleep I’m confused?
For Intel MacBooks, they can only boot with the lid closed if an external monitor is connected when plugging in the power cable.
Sorry, no idea on docks with a power button... or if it is actually possible on Apple Silicon.

(I have my power supply plugged into a socket with an on/off switch and that serves as my "power-on" button.)

Last edited:

Haso4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
For Intel MacBooks, they did not boot with the lid closed unless an external monitor was connected when plugging in the power cable.
Sorry, no idea on docks with a power button...
I have my power supply plugged into a socket with an on/off switch and that serves as my "power-on" button.
Does the monitor have to be connected with usb c or HDMI?

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Before we go down that rabbit hole, do you have an Intel Mac, or an Apple Silicon Mac?

Click on the Apple Menu on the top left corner, and choose "About this Mac". It will show what type of processor you are using.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Sorry, for your M1 Max MacBook Pro I do not know. I see you posted in the linked thread so hopefully @contacos can shed some light on the matter.
I have not found any official documentation that cold boot in clamshell mode works at all on Apple Silicon Macs.
On the contrary:
(…) It got escalated to Engineering and they came back and said that the Intel chipset enabled that functionality and the Apple Silicon chipsets do not.

(Nevertheless, attached an image of how I have to wire my 2019 and 2020 Intel MacBooks.)

Attachments

• Clamshell.Cold.Boot.png
    Clamshell.Cold.Boot.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Haso4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
Before we go down that rabbit hole, do you have an Intel Mac, or an Apple Silicon Mac?

Click on the Apple Menu on the top left corner, and choose "About this Mac". It will show what type of processor you are using.
Mine is a a

i have a M1 Max MacBook Pro

asmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2023
It was working for me on an M2 Pro 2 weeks ago, so I don't think it is a matter of the hardware not supporting it.

Mine did stop working after upgrading to Sonoma 14.2 though.

PS. People who want this know they can use sleep..., but it doesn't fit our specific use-case.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Do you know any docking stations with a powerbutton which could help me out?

Been looking at those as well.
As has been said, those from Dell only work with Dell computers.

Belkin has one (and an expensive one, at that) that probably works with Mac but I haven't been able to get confirmation on this...

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I'm really struggling to see the use case for this. Why do you need to power it on from clamshell mode. Just put it to sleep. A keyboard or mouse can wake it up.

To answer question, is there anything you could do with wake on lan?

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I'm really struggling to see the use case for this. Why do you need to power it on from clamshell mode. Just put it to sleep. A keyboard or mouse can wake it up.

To answer question, is there anything you could do with wake on lan?

I have always turned off every computer I have ever owned before going to sleep. Don't like the idea of leaving a computer on 24/7.
If you put it in a vertical stand, you need to be able to turn it on with some sort of external power button. But I have been looking on the internet for a while now, and no answer, to be honest.
The power button on those hubs that actually come with one (very rare) is just used to turn the hub on, not the Mac...

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I have always turned off every computer I have ever owned before going to sleep. Don't like the idea of leaving a computer on 24/7.
If you put it in a vertical stand, you need to be able to turn it on with some sort of external power button. But I have been looking on the internet for a while now, and no answer, to be honest.
The power button on those hubs that actually come with one (very rare) is just used to turn the hub on, not the Mac...
but why....do you turn off your phone or ipad every night? There no reason too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.