Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I treat laptops like I do desktops...if I know I am going to be using the device in the next few hours, I leave it on. If not, I put it into hibernate mode.

No reason to use more energy than needed.

In the case of these MacBooks, where coming back up takes a second, there is no good reason to leave them on all the time, is there?

R

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I treat laptops like I do desktops...if I know I am going to be using the device in the next few hours, I leave it on. If not, I put it into hibernate mode.

No reason to use more energy than needed.

In the case of these MacBooks, where coming back up takes a second, there is no good reason to leave them on all the time, is there?

R
A MBA /MBP does not use a lot of energy being on 24/7. I suppose if one is concerned about every penny of an electric bill it would make sense to tun everything off all the time.

There is less wear and tear with computer hardware running 24/7 versus booting down and turning on all the time.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I have heard that said, and I agree with the "booting down and turning on all the time" part... but is it more wear and tear to be on 24/7 vs turning it on and off once or twice per day?

R

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It'd be less wear and tear opening/closing lid to put to sleep than doing full power cycles of any sort.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I've done a little experiment...

Usually, I always turn my Macbook off when I've finished work but yesterday, I decided to leave it on for the night, closed lid, connected to my external monitor.

This morning, I just pressed the spacebar on my external keyboard and the Macbook woke up, no problem. I logged in with the password. But I immediately noticed that the OS wasn't as snappy as it was yesterday evening when I left my Mac to sleep overnight. Instead, switchin between apps with Alt-Tab was noticeably laggy.

In Activity monitor, on the memory tab, I could see that the used swap memory was 3.8Gb. As far as I know, this practically never happens, swap memory is always zero. I have 32Gb of physical ram, with a number of small apps running, including Spotify, Forklift, Apple's weather app, Whatsapp, Word, Excel, Outlook and Edge with quite a few tabs open.

Never experienced this lagginess before. I suppose that's not normal when you leave your Macbook on all the time ?

harryw66

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2024
Hi @Dr. McKay
Did you get to the bottom of the lagginess if you left the laptop in sleep mode overnight?
I expect to get a M1 Max from work - and I would prefer to leave it in a stand under my desk - connected to a dock.
My current windows laptop (which the M1 will replace) is configured to boot up when the AC is turned on. So, at night I shutdown the laptop and turn of the power at the wall.
In the morning, I turn on the power and the laptop starts up - no bending down under the desk, lifting the laptop out of the stand and opening the lid (phew - feel tired just typing that!).
I understand that the M1 Max cannot be configured to boot on AC, and was thinking I would just sleep the M1 overnight - but your post has me worried?
BTW - I am complete Apple noob (please dont hold it against me!)- never owned an apple device (other than the really cool iPod shuffle) mostly on cost grounds!
Thanks!

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I am pretty sure most people sleep their systems and do not turn them off every day. My M2 Air works fine after sleeping. I only restart on OS updates or about once every 1-2 weeks.

How do you wake up the system in the scenario you are suggesting? I guess it comes out of sleep when you hit the BT keyboard? I am more of a PC guy, so I don't know how that would work.

R

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Hi @Dr. McKay
Did you get to the bottom of the lagginess if you left the laptop in sleep mode overnight?
I expect to get a M1 Max from work - and I would prefer to leave it in a stand under my desk - connected to a dock.
My current windows laptop (which the M1 will replace) is configured to boot up when the AC is turned on. So, at night I shutdown the laptop and turn of the power at the wall.
In the morning, I turn on the power and the laptop starts up - no bending down under the desk, lifting the laptop out of the stand and opening the lid (phew - feel tired just typing that!).
I understand that the M1 Max cannot be configured to boot on AC, and was thinking I would just sleep the M1 overnight - but your post has me worried?
BTW - I am complete Apple noob (please dont hold it against me!)- never owned an apple device (other than the really cool iPod shuffle) mostly on cost grounds!
Thanks!
Your M1 can go to auto sleep, or wake up in network trigger. You can disable network or wake. I never shut down my Mq Max MBP 16, it auto sleeps, and doesn’t lag.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I have heard that said, and I agree with the "booting down and turning on all the time" part... but is it more wear and tear to be on 24/7 vs turning it on and off once or twice per day?

R
That’s moot point after mechanical HDD were replaced by SSD. There is no wear and tear, and fan isn’t gonna kick off in sleep, if you worried about wear and tear.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Hi @Dr. McKay
Thanks!

Hi, sorry for the late reply, must have missed the notification...

I can't really answer your question as I've changed my setup. I was going to put the Macbook in a vertical stand but decided against that so my problem just solved itself. As to why my Macbook was so laggy after waking up from sleep : no idea...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.