Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
MalcolmJID said:
Has anyone fully determined the cause of this "moo" thats pretty much a collision/friction/vibration kind of noise?

It's the fans. They get caught in a loop and keep ramping up and down. Happens to me when the CPU gets stuck between 65-68 degrees, and people on apple's discussion boards report the same thing.

It's like having an air conditioner that keeps going on and off, trying to keep the room at exactly a certain temp. Except it happens constantly!

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
I know it's the fans. I meant has anyone determined what part of the fan it actually is? It sounds to me like one of the fan blades has a slight imperfection, or a slightly extended blade, and its causing it to hit the sides.

My P.O.S. Win98SE PC makes this "moo" noise all the time. Until I tighten a screw. Maybe its a loose screw?

While I fully agree that the temps of the rev up/down need to be changed (come on at say 69º, go off when it's back down at 55º or so), and maybe even have the fan just goin at its slowest possible RPM all the time, as opposed to complete on/off cycles), I get the impression it was a bad batch of fans or something to that effect. I'd like to see someone actually determin the cause of the "moo", which to me sounds like a vibration or something to that effect.

Or maybe its the design of the fan. From that vid on YouTube, it doesn't look like a bladed "fan", like a propellor, more like a flat surface thats just forcing the air out. This will change the "noise" the fan makes as it spins.....perhaps....

I am by no means an expert, but everyone just seems to say "oh, its a 'moo', the fans doing it, fix it!". Someone needs to just get the fan out of a MB or MBP and run it, see whats doin it.

If I had a MB, I may have tried it myself. But until September time, I'm stuck on a couple of PC's.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
MalcolmJID said:
I know it's the fans. I meant has anyone determined what part of the fan it actually is? It sounds to me like one of the fan blades has a slight imperfection, or a slightly extended blade, and its causing it to hit the sides.
The SMC update stopped the moo'ing on MacBook Pros, and as good as Apple is, I'm pretty sure that the update didn't change physical characteristics of the blades. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.