Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is better on the 16" for Music Production in the long run (~ 6 - 8 Years)?

• More RAM / Stock CPU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better CPU / Stock RAM

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Go for both, you can't upgrade them later

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

RicSousaMusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Hi, folks!

So, I'm in a dilemma on which base MacBook 16" I should with the intention of using it mostly to work with Logic Pro and other DAWs, and doing some ocasional image and video editing (the latter won't be too, too much complex in terms of effects and workflow).

With that in mind, I'm torn between two options:

1. Upgrade its RAM to 32 GB, but stick with the 2.6GHz 6-core 9th-generation Intel Core i7 processor; or
  2. Upgrade its CPU to the 2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, but stick with 16 GB RAM.
So, between these options, which is the better one for mostly Music Production and that is better future-proof?

Some additional considerations:
  • I'll be mostly working with the default instruments and effects of Logic Pro at the beginning
  • I am open to buy other VSTs and Virtual Instruments, and one of them that I have in sight are the ones from EastWest.
  • I'll be also using it to do some Image and Video editing projects, but more on secondary things and will not be as CONSTANT as using Logic.
Cheers!

Dave Y

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2020
This thread on gearslutz has some info on relative performance of the i7 and i9 in Logic. From your use case I'd say CPU is more likely to be the bottleneck and the i9 is the clear winner there. For things like pop productions with virtual synths and loads of fx, definitely CPU. The exception would be if you get heavily into big orchestral scores with sampled instruments, then you might appreciate the RAM. Although even then, if your libraries are on SSD you can stream most of it and limit the amount loaded to RAM (at least with Kontakt - haven't used EastWest but would imagine similar options).

I'm currently on a 2013 MBP (rewind 6-7 years) with quad-core i7 and 16GB RAM, and for me the bottleneck is CPU. Don't do heavy orchestral scores, although a few things with fairly large horn and string sections, and memory pressure has never been beyond green. Having said that, if you look e.g. at Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra, min RAM is 8 GB with 16 recommended, so not hard to imagine 16 and 32 within your timeframe. FWIW I will probably go with i9 2.3 and 32 GB RAM.

RicSousaMusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
This thread on gearslutz has some info on relative performance of the i7 and i9 in Logic. From your use case I'd say CPU is more likely to be the bottleneck and the i9 is the clear winner there. For things like pop productions with virtual synths and loads of fx, definitely CPU. The exception would be if you get heavily into big orchestral scores with sampled instruments, then you might appreciate the RAM. Although even then, if your libraries are on SSD you can stream most of it and limit the amount loaded to RAM (at least with Kontakt - haven't used EastWest but would imagine similar options).

I'm currently on a 2013 MBP (rewind 6-7 years) with quad-core i7 and 16GB RAM, and for me the bottleneck is CPU. Don't do heavy orchestral scores, although a few things with fairly large horn and string sections, and memory pressure has never been beyond green. Having said that, if you look e.g. at Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra, min RAM is 8 GB with 16 recommended, so not hard to imagine 16 and 32 within your timeframe. FWIW I will probably go with i9 2.3 and 32 GB RAM.

Since my main goal on my compositions is to focus on a more orchestral/epic/soundtrack-ish approach (hence mentioning EastWest), I think I've decided to settle on upgrading the RAM for 32 GB.

But, considering the price difference, I think that also updating the CPU to the 8-core i9 might help me prepare for the future but also help me with the workflow with the different audiovisual editing programs.

RicSousaMusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020

So, in the meanwhile another dilemma came about ?

So, I can go for the base 16", upgrade its CPU from 6-core to 8-core 2.4-5.0 GHz and the RAM to 32 GB, and this setup would end up costing me €3.679...

However, I could also go for the advanced model, which by default brings a 8-core 2.3-4.8GHz (vs 2.4-5.0 GHz) but an 1TB SSD (vs 512) and the 5500M (vs 5300M), and it would cost me €3.799, so, only a €120 difference...

With this, should I go for the advanced model with a 2.3-4.8GHz CPU, but have the perks of having a better GPU and more SSD storage; or should I go for the 2.4-5.0GHz but not having those latter perks?

Dave Y

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2020
Improvement with i9 2.4 over 2.3 seems more marginal than i9 over i7, you will benefit from the 5500M for video stuff, and the 1TB is definitely to be preferred. So on that basis, 2.3 i9 stock with 32GB ram looks good.

Shame 32GB isn’t standard by now (7 years after 16 was) but €500 is less than €2 a week if it lasts five years.

journeyingsoul

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2014

Thanks! I've just posted a similar post and it seems I've found the answer. Im looking to upgrade from a 2008 MBP and didn't want to buy a lesser spec'd 16 inch as you can't upgrade later.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
The price/value equation is different in my case. A couple of months ago I bought my 16" Core i9 MBP from Google Shopping during a 1-day sale for $2300 (a $500 discount). This standard config came with 16gb RAM, but upgrading to 32gb would have required purchasing a CTO from Apple for a whopping $3200!
Yes, I do run a Windows 10 VM semi-regularly, and I do use Logic Pro X for small to medium-sized projects, but neither of these are enough to justify me paying $900 (39%) more than I did for my laptop.

As for longevity, I plan on selling this MBP and moving to an Apple Silicon model as soon as the 2nd generation of it is released. Probably in 2022. And since I got my current one for such a good deal, I don't think I'll lose too much on the sale.

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
Heads up dude:
There's an ongoing issue with the 16-inch's internal speakers making obnoxious thumping sounds in Logic. It sounds like a horse galloping over your music and and it's been an issue since the advent of the 16". If you plan to use headphones or studio monitors at all times, you should be fine as it only affects the internal speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.