Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
BH ships to brazil, they dont ship apple products

Yes, that's right.

AFAIK ICMS is going to be calculated on the cost of the goods + shipping + import taxes, AFAIK the surcharge for the currency exchange is post ICMS, and we dont apparently pay IPI anymore according to some legal sources that I consulted, in a 2012 from the TRF3 it was granted that no matter what we should pay ICMS over imported goods

and the charge for the correios to do the clearance is R$150

this is the important bit

Well, BH Photo Video doesn't use the Correios to send its products. And I guess it's just import taxes and ICMS (and perhaps PIS/COFINS) when you buy something abroad.

Have you ever bought any laptop by ordering it from a U.S. store? Did it actually arrive in due time? I had some mixed experiences in the past when buying some other stuff (a couple of DVDs I ordered some time ago took almost 3 months to arrive home as they were stuck in the customs).

Anyway, I guess we're alienating the other users in this forum with this off-topic discussion...

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
Yes, that's right.

Well, BH Photo Video doesn't use the Correios to send its products. And I guess it's just import taxes and ICMS (and perhaps PIS/COFINS) when you buy something abroad.

Have you ever bought any laptop by ordering it from a U.S. store? Did it actually arrive in due time? I had some mixed experiences in the past when buying some other stuff (a couple of DVDs I ordered some time ago took almost 3 months to arrive home as they were stuck in the customs).

Anyway, I guess we're alienating the other users in this forum with this off-topic discussion...
well they have other 3000 threads about haswell now, so it doesnt matter that much, but you are the chief here, you are the OP

BH did the calculation "wrong", USPS is the way to go, courier services are much more expensive than doing it via USPS->correios, because they are door to door (see ITC for the definitions and distinctions), USPS doesnt do door to door to here, thus delivering in the end at the nearest correios post to the address you provided

if USPS is not available, UPS is the way to go, they do the same thing of USPS, when you select pay taxes latter, fedex in my experience always does door to door

I did order the Z21 from provantage, and the vaio SA, both in 2011, I was in the same search as you, very similar specs that I wanted. I ordered my current SSD corsair F120 (terrible choice might I add), a cannon EOS-M.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
well they have other 3000 threads about haswell now, so it doesnt matter that much, but you are the chief here, you are the OP

Perhaps a little more than that...

BH did the calculation "wrong", USPS is the way to go, courier services are much more expensive than doing it via USPS->correios, because they are door to door (see ITC for the definitions and distinctions), USPS doesnt do door to door to here, thus delivering in the end at the nearest correios post to the address you provided

It may have done. But is it just an estimate from BH or is it the full price charged?

if USPS is not available, UPS is the way to go, they do the same thing of USPS, when you select pay taxes latter, fedex in my experience always does door to door

Is it fast? Because, as far as I know, there is the possibility of the customs office holding the product forever before calculating the tax and informing you that the product is available for release. Isn't a courier service required for customs clearance?

I did order the Z21 from provantage, and the vaio SA, both in 2011, I was in the same search as you, very similar specs that I wanted. I ordered my current SSD corsair F120 (terrible choice might I add), a cannon EOS-M.

Now I'm actually very much leaning towards the 13" rMBP. I've seen some other laptops, but none of them appears to rival the Mac in regards to its build quality. The keyboard and the trackpad are just better than most Windows PCs, and the screen has no parallel.

As for the price, well, do you still think that it makes sense to order a laptop from the U.S., knowing that you will have to pay the imports tax, VAT/ICMS and the tax over the exchange rate? Wouldn't it be similar than buying a laptop directly here in Brazil?

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
lol Apple won't just 'discontinue' their Classic Pro unless something else fills the $1199 segment. The MacBook Pro Classic is the most popular notebook because it doesn't compromise. It's like the BMW 3 series of Apple's line up. You get a perfectly balanced notebook that offers performance, portability and a variety of accessible ports for $1200. (If only they could get the freaking hard drive cable to be infallible.)

I agree that the Retina 13" Pro is going to be Apple's primary $1200 laptop. The issue is that with high definition screens being so hard to produce, a $1200 Retina 13" would be too huge of a loss.

I do not believe 2013 MacBooks will have Haswell. Ivy bridge launched late 2011 with mobile variants launching in April. Two months later, Apple unveiled their Ivy Bridge MacBooks. Haswell hasn't even launched yet and isn't expected to until June. I don't foresee Apple banking on a sudden release and implementing it. That's way too rushed of a launch schedule.

Of course, this would be explained by a Classic 13" Pro and 13" Air refresh in June with nothing happening to the Retina 13 or 15" until later in the year (Probably quarter 3).

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
Perhaps a little more than that...

probable, I wonder if I should open one for broadwell ;)

It may have done. But is it just an estimate from BH or is it the full price charged?

its probably what UPS or Fedex courier service charge, so door to door, otherwise the option for pay taxes latter and dont deal with tax hassle wouldnt be there

Is it fast? Because, as far as I know, there is the possibility of the customs office holding the product forever before calculating the tax and informing you that the product is available for release. Isn't a courier service required for customs clearance?

No. A courier service is only required when the product (price of the good + general costs [shipping, bank cost, insurance if there is one]) is above USD 3000

And I never happened to suffer from delay, though my RMAs do take a while (RAMed the SSD 3x). And the shirts that I ordered suffered from xmas usual delays (though the payment was done by my brit friend in a paypal account from UK, that was connected to his credit card from UK), to deliver in Brazil, quite a mess)

Now I'm actually very much leaning towards the 13" rMBP. I've seen some other laptops, but none of them appears to rival the Mac in regards to its build quality. The keyboard and the trackpad are just better than most Windows PCs, and the screen has no parallel.

I agree with you, not on the keyboard, but on the touchpad and the screen, while the screen can be better

As for the price, well, do you still think that it makes sense to order a laptop from the U.S., knowing that you will have to pay the imports tax, VAT/ICMS and the tax over the exchange rate? Wouldn't it be similar than buying a laptop directly here in Brazil?

well, compare the price from the importation, that correios pdf I linked, is fairly easy to read
http://www.correios.com.br/Produtosaz/complementos/pdf/limites_de_importacao.pdf

so compare price, in the meantime I will try to find the overpriced store that sells macs and ships to brazil, but still.... its going to be cheaper for you to actually get one when you are in the states

lol Apple won't just 'discontinue' their Classic Pro unless something else fills the $1199 segment. The MacBook Pro Classic is the most popular notebook because it doesn't compromise. It's like the BMW 3 series of Apple's line up. You get a perfectly balanced notebook that offers performance, portability and a variety of accessible ports for $1200. (If only they could get the freaking hard drive cable to be infallible.)

Thats not an argument, they killed other good sellers as well.

I agree that the Retina 13" Pro is going to be Apple's primary $1200 laptop. The issue is that with high definition screens being so hard to produce, a $1200 Retina 13" would be too huge of a loss.

I keep seeing this appearing here, I dont how this is possible after 1 year in production (you dont count the launch, you count at least 2 months before)

I do not believe 2013 MacBooks will have Haswell. Ivy bridge launched late 2011 with mobile variants launching in April. Two months later, Apple unveiled their Ivy Bridge MacBooks. Haswell hasn't even launched yet and isn't expected to until June. I don't foresee Apple banking on a sudden release and implementing it. That's way too rushed of a launch schedule.

Ivy didnt launch in 2011, but 2012, it wasnt even at CES, i.e. the usual place that intel launches

There is no rush in the schedule, its going to be around the same time that they did last year, aside that, they shouldve had a prototype working with haswell for at least 6 months already. This is industry standard

Of course, this would be explained by a Classic 13" Pro and 13" Air refresh in June with nothing happening to the Retina 13 or 15" until later in the year (Probably quarter 3).

We dont know that.

Basically you cant know some things, others are either industry standard or facts that we know.

While we dont know if the cMBP is going to be killed, I dont see a reason it wont. It doesnt make me right or you wrong, its guesses at this point, with something to back it up

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

Well, I'm not so sure about that.

Apple will discontinue the classic MacBook Pro, sooner or later. The 13-inch version is the most popular laptop in Apple's line due to being their cheaper offering. There is some compromise in it, though, although it is a balanced laptop. It has a low-resolution screen (1280x800), for instance. But it is a good laptop, and people are still buying it.

I don't know if Apple is going to reduce the price of the retina MacBook Pro so it matches the current price of the classic MacBook Pro as a condition for discontinuing it. I remember Apple discontinued the white MacBook, which sold for US$ 999 and was one of its most popular products (perhaps the best-selling laptop), and left nothing instead (apart from the 11-inch MacBook Air, which is hardly a replacement).

So, Apple could push the MacBook Air as the primary consumer laptop, selling from US$ 999 to US$ 1,399, and the retina MacBook Pro from US$ 1,499 to US$ 2,500 upwards.

Again, I'm not saying it will happen, but it is a possibility. We don't know Apple's plans.

High resolution screens will eventually get cheaper. Apple has managed to put one in the US$ 499 iPad a year ago, so it certainly costs less than US$ 500. The major factor in the price increase of the retina MacBook Pro is probably the SSD, even more than the high resolution display.

Well, I'm actually quite sure that 2013 Macs will have Haswell. Ivy Bridge was launched in April 23, 2012 (http://newsroom.intel.com/community...ng-exciting-new-experiences-and-fun-to-the-pc). No Ivy Bridge processors were available in 2011 (production started in Q3 2011, but they were not released before April 2012). The MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air, both with Ivy Bridge, were released on June 11, 2012, during WWDC, about a month and two weeks after the release of the processor.

Sandy Bridge, which has the same architecture of Ivy Bridge, but with a 32nm process, was the processor which Intel released in 2011. Sandy Bridge was launched in January 2011. There was a recall by Intel and, even though, Apple released Macs based on this processor in February.

So, there are two options here, in my view: (i) Apple will release Macs in June, during the WWDC, featuring Haswell processors; or (ii) Apple will not release new Macs during WWDC, and will launch Haswell MacBooks later in the year. But Haswell Macs are definitely coming in 2013!

I guess it's pretty much unlikely that Apple will update the classic MacBook Pro line without updating the retina MacBook Pro as well.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
probable, I wonder if I should open one for broadwell ;)

I guess there are some topics on Broadwell as well...

Thanks for the information on the importation. When you bought, how long did it take for the products to arrive home?

I agree with you, not on the keyboard, but on the touchpad and the screen, while the screen can be better

Just a few keyboards manage to be better than the ones found in MacBooks. Perhaps the ThinkPad has some better ones, but apart from that, I haven't found many.

As for screens, well... there are some good screens around, but I found none to be as good as the one in the retina MacBook Pro. Some of them may be brighter, or have better color reproduction, but are not actually better. Have you?

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
I guess there are some topics on Broadwell as well...

Bah nobody uses the search feature here :p

Thanks for the information on the importation. When you bought, how long did it take for the products to arrive home?

usually 2-3 weeks, and given the mess that are in our ports, expect more time, till all the crops are gone in late may

I used to work with that, the corruption abounds, decided to drop it

Just a few keyboards manage to be better than the ones found in MacBooks. Perhaps the ThinkPad has some better ones, but apart from that, I haven't found many.

Im actually a very loyal thinkpad user

As for screens, well... there are some good screens around, but I found none to be as good as the one in the retina MacBook Pro. Some of them may be brighter, or have better color reproduction, but are not actually better. Have you?
depends on your priorities, color reproduction and fluxtuation or res. Unfortunately there isnt a dreamcolor 2 in the 13'' area. That display actually rivals nec in terms of quality

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
if the macbook air will get retina will be better than macbook pro 15", so i guess not

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
if the macbook air will get retina will be better than macbook pro 15", so i guess not

Why will it be better than the 15" MacBook Pro? They're two different machines, aimed at different purposes. The MacBook Air is a thin-and-light laptop, with a not very powerful processor and an integrated graphics card. The 15" MacBook Pro is a powerful machine, with a quad-core processor and a dedicated graphics card. People who work with photo and video editing quite frequently need some robust machines, and the MacBook Air won't deliver the expected performance.

Alfonsomac

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
Guys considering that Apple is going to announce the new speedbump at WWDC, what kind of integrated and dedicated GPU may adopt on the 15" rMPB?
The new Intel 5100 or 5200?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Guys considering that Apple is going to announce the new speedbump at WWDC, what kind of integrated and dedicated GPU may adopt on the 15" rMPB?

No one knows for sure. I am expecting the 5100/5200 on the 13" since it has no dGPU and the 4600 on the 15" to lower costs and heat since it has a dGPU.

Alfonsomac

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
No one knows for sure. I am expecting the 5100/5200 on the 13" since it has no dGPU and the 4600 on the 15" to lower costs and heat since it has a dGPU.

Oh, the 4600 on the 15"? That would be unexpected for me.
Anyway, it seems we should only wait for new info.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
Oh, the 4600 on the 15"? That would be unexpected for me.
Anyway, it seems we should only wait for new info.

and why it would be unexpected? do you really want a worst cpu performance compared to last year due to the 5200?

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

I wouldn't be so sure of all of these.

As far as I'm concerned, Intel will release Haswell in June, but there conflicting reports on the availability of processors and integrated graphics cards. It means that only some specific processors/graphics cards will be available in June, while others will be released later in the year.

It's pretty much a lock at this point that desktop processors and quad-core mobile processors will be released in June, but there are doubts about the mobile dual cores that will power the MBA and the 13" MBP. In addition, I've read some reports about GT3 (Iris) being released only latter in the year, while the first processors would still rely on GT2 (the HD 4000 series).

Intel, of course, may change its roadmap as it wishes, but I'm still not sure about the availability of all these processors in time for a MacBook refresh during WWDC.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
I wouldn't be so sure of all of these.

As far as I'm concerned, Intel will release Haswell in June, but there conflicting reports on the availability of processors and integrated graphics cards. It means that only some specific processors/graphics cards will be available in June, while others will be released later in the year.

It's pretty much a lock at this point that desktop processors and quad-core mobile processors will be released in June, but there are doubts about the mobile dual cores that will power the MBA and the 13" MBP. In addition, I've read some reports about GT3 (Iris) being released only latter in the year, while the first processors would still rely on GT2 (the HD 4000 series).

Intel, of course, may change its roadmap as it wishes, but I'm still not sure about the availability of all these processors in time for a MacBook refresh during WWDC.

You know the most interesting bit?

Since intel introduced the core 2 duo they always had a 25w cpu, with ivy they didnt, after core 2 duo we never saw those cpus anywhere, I guess people started using those as door holders, or chewing toys for ferocious cats.

And now we have most of the line up for mobiles and we dont a have single peep about 35w parts. From what I was looking, the problem was that those 25w, now 28w, were always expensive but still performing much the same as the 35w ones, very close clocks and pretty on par turbo boost

I think intel will just kill the 35w this time around. thats why we only see talks about dual core parts, not their actual tdp ratings

Intel GT3 Graphics HD 5200/5100/5000:
Core i7-4950HQ (5200, GT3)
Core i7-4850HQ (5200, GT3)
Core i7-4558U (5100, GT3)
Core i7-4550U (5000, GT3)
Core i5-4258U (5100, GT3)
Core i5-4288U (5100, GT3)
Core i5-4250U (5000, GT3)
Core i3-4158U (5100, GT3)

Intel GT2 Graphics HD 4600/4400/4200:
Core i7-4930MX (4600, GT2)
Core i7-4900MQ (4600, GT2)
Core i7-4800MQ (4600, GT2)
Core i7-4500U (4400 GT2)
Core i5-4200U (4400, GT2)
Core i5-4200Y (4400, GT2)
Core i3-4100U (4400, GT2)
Core i3-4010U (4400, GT2)
Core i3-4005U (4400, GT2)

and this is the currently leaked launch dates

Intel-Mobile-Roadmap.jpg

My guess is 47w rmbp 13? the cooling handles superbly 35w, much better than the cmbp ever were and with just a minor tweak they could support the 47w iris on them

This is all a guess off course

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
You know the most interesting bit?

Since intel introduced the core 2 duo they always had a 25w cpu, with ivy they didnt, after core 2 duo we never saw those cpus anywhere, I guess people started using those as door holders, or chewing toys for ferocious cats.

I guess it was not exactly like that. Each architecture seems to have its own voltages. It was as follows:

Core/Conroe/Merom (new architecture, 65nm, 2006): 10W, 17W, 30W, 35W, 44W

Core/Penryn (die shrink, 45nm, 2007): 5.5W, 10W, 17W, 25W, 35W, 44W, 45W

Nehalem Clarksfield (new architecture, 45nm, 2009): 45W (quad-core), 55W (extreme quad-core)

Westmere/Arrendale (die shrink, 32nm, 2010): 18W (ultra-low voltage), 25W (low voltage), 35W (standard voltage)

Sandy Bridge (new architecture, 32nm, 2011): 17W (ultra-low voltage), 25W (low voltage, just a few models), 35W (standard voltage), 45W (quad-core) and 55W (extreme quad-core)

Ivy Bridge (die shrink, 22nm, 2012): 10W, 13W, 17W (ultra-low voltage), 35W (standard voltage), 45W (quad-core), 55W (extreme quad-core)

And now we have most of the line up for mobiles and we dont a have single peep about 35w parts. From what I was looking, the problem was that those 25w, now 28w, were always expensive but still performing much the same as the 35w ones, very close clocks and pretty on par turbo boost

I think intel will just kill the 35w this time around. thats why we only see talks about dual core parts, not their actual tdp ratings

I don't know, perhaps Intel replaces 35W with 28W. Or perhaps the 35W processors get a later launch.

Intel GT3 Graphics HD 5200/5100/5000:
Core i7-4950HQ (5200, GT3)
Core i7-4850HQ (5200, GT3)
Core i7-4558U (5100, GT3)
Core i7-4550U (5000, GT3)
Core i5-4258U (5100, GT3)
Core i5-4288U (5100, GT3)
Core i5-4250U (5000, GT3)
Core i3-4158U (5100, GT3)

Intel GT2 Graphics HD 4600/4400/4200:
Core i7-4930MX (4600, GT2)
Core i7-4900MQ (4600, GT2)
Core i7-4800MQ (4600, GT2)
Core i7-4500U (4400 GT2)
Core i5-4200U (4400, GT2)
Core i5-4200Y (4400, GT2)
Core i3-4100U (4400, GT2)
Core i3-4010U (4400, GT2)
Core i3-4005U (4400, GT2)

and this is the currently leaked launch dates

It pretty much looks like that Iris will launch later this year, and that the first processors will launch with the HD 4000 video card.

My guess is 47w rmbp 13? the cooling handles superbly 35w, much better than the cmbp ever were and with just a minor tweak they could support the 47w iris on them

This is all a guess off course

I don't think Apple would do that. The dual-core processors are powerful enough. Apple would prefer a larger battery life (with the dual-core) than more power (with the quad-core); it's just more Apple-ish. And the 47W processors will be more expensive and won't match the price point of the 13" rMBP.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
ah yes, I know it should be measured each by turn, but a generalization was done to make a point. And the point is this:

35W to 47W is like a 33% increase in TDP. Most systems can't just accommodate that significant of a change without updating the copper and fan. Most ultrabooks are borderline able to manage the 35W CPU's already. But curious to see the full lineup when finally released.

I know its a pretty hot and long distance, but the cooling of the rmbp 13 is nothing but impressive, in the apple side of life, the fans barely spins up and even more rarely at 100% cpu load, the cpu heat even with apple "let it be" fan control is awesome, so in the end with minor adjustments it can be done.

But in the end I think intel is putting their cards on where a lot of us points out, smaller form factors with good battery life and that is achieved with those ulv. Imagine a ULV powered x230, that thing would run for more than the 24h+ that it can (with all the batteries attached), I think 35h+ is quite possible, even 40h+

Now for numbers (I will use the launch numbers of every product, so nothing that was launched in this year counts):

Core i7:

Haswell - 8 total - 1 55w, 6 47w, 1 Xw (I think its 28w, its got the U prefix, so its either 28w or 17w)
Ivy - 9 total - 1 55w, 3 45w, 2 35w, 2 17w

Core i5:

Haswell - 5 total - Unknown TDPs, I really have to look at the article that said something about the new nomenclature, sigh
Ivy - 5 total - 2 17w, 3 35w

Core i3:

Haswell - 4 total
Ivy - 3 total - 1 17w, 2 35w

The numbers in terms of line up are incredibly close, I think this is their final line up, with ultrabooks so much in vogue and rising, with tablets looming, they have really focused on low power with something of a punch cpus and on the other side powerful quads. If this is it, I think we are done with 35w

This is a post that I did in the another forum, and pretty much I think the line up is stable and no 35w will appear

Now if we take that no 35w will appear, how does that leaves us with 28w?

it will be the same conundrum as in the rmbp 15, do we put the gt3e cores in the line up and lose cpu performance compared to the last product, while gaining igpu performance? The answer here for me is no.

A logic much like that works for me in the rmbp 13, do we lose the cpu performance compared to the last year model and gain igpu performance? Now if we put the gt3e cores, we not only gain 100% more performance at base line, but we do get more igpu performance to boot

Not to mention that with the possible emergence of the rmba, and with the barely significant difference in performance between the mba and the c/rmbp 13, to add the quad would make a very much interesting proposition

I do get the whole thing of, its a very expensive cpu, which it really is, no questions about it, on top of the high price of the quad we are still going to get the 50 from the edram, but it does make sense.

And with the cooling that the rmbp 13 has, just a minor adjustment should do it

PS: battery life between quads and dual cores standard voltage is pretty much the same now, if they use 28w, that would make a difference

I`m willing to bet that 33% higher TDP isn`t 33% higher temperatures. Its only worst case scenario :)

EDIT: Sigh: Its a mixed picture. :p

csm_tabelle_temp_EN_d257c48664.jpg

it turns out that maybe a tweak wont be necessary

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I know its a pretty hot and long distance, but the cooling of the rmbp 13 is nothing but impressive, in the apple side of life, the fans barely spins up and even more rarely at 100% cpu load, the cpu heat even with apple "let it be" fan control is awesome, so in the end with minor adjustments it can be done.

But in the end I think intel is putting their cards on where a lot of us points out, smaller form factors with good battery life and that is achieved with those ulv. Imagine a ULV powered x230, that thing would run for more than the 24h+ that it can (with all the batteries attached), I think 35h+ is quite possible, even 40h+

Apple will end up putting a standard-voltage dual-core Haswell processor in the 13" rMBP and a ULV dual-core Haswell processor in the MBA. Like it has done in the past. As much as I would like to see a quad-core 13" rMBP, I guess it's not going to happen, at least this time.

As for a X230 with a ULV processor... I guess it's not going to happen either. But Lenovo will certainly launch a X240 with a standard-voltage processor, which will have a great battery life thanks to the battery-saving capabilities of Haswell. I just hope Lenovo improves the screen resolution, which is, IMHO, the low point of the X230 line.

Now for numbers (I will use the launch numbers of every product, so nothing that was launched in this year counts):

Core i7:

Haswell - 8 total - 1 55w, 6 47w, 1 Xw (I think its 28w, its got the U prefix, so its either 28w or 17w)
Ivy - 9 total - 1 55w, 3 45w, 2 35w, 2 17w

Core i5:

Haswell - 5 total - Unknown TDPs, I really have to look at the article that said something about the new nomenclature, sigh
Ivy - 5 total - 2 17w, 3 35w

Core i3:

Haswell - 4 total
Ivy - 3 total - 1 17w, 2 35w

The numbers in terms of line up are incredibly close, I think this is their final line up, with ultrabooks so much in vogue and rising, with tablets looming, they have really focused on low power with something of a punch cpus and on the other side powerful quads. If this is it, I think we are done with 35w

Well, Intel is really focusing on quad-cores and ULV processors this time. I've read reports that standard-voltage dual-cores will be released later in the year (Q4).

This is a post that I did in the another forum, and pretty much I think the line up is stable and no 35w will appear

Now if we take that no 35w will appear, how does that leaves us with 28w?

28W is not ULV. 17W is ULV. 28W should be low-voltage in Intel's parlance (just like 25W has been in the past), not ultra-low-voltage. So, they're not in the same league. Apple could use a 28W processor in the 13" rMBP, but it would put the 17W in the MBA.

it will be the same conundrum as in the rmbp 15, do we put the gt3e cores in the line up and lose cpu performance compared to the last product, while gaining igpu performance? The answer here for me is no.

A logic much like that works for me in the rmbp 13, do we lose the cpu performance compared to the last year model and gain igpu performance? Now if we put the gt3e cores, we not only gain 100% more performance at base line, but we do get more igpu performance to boot

Apple will not give up CPU performance. And a 28W Haswell may well be equal to a 35W Ivy Bridge in terms of raw performance.

Not to mention that with the possible emergence of the rmba, and with the barely significant difference in performance between the mba and the c/rmbp 13, to add the quad would make a very much interesting proposition

That would definitely do. I just hope Apple doesn't put the 10W processor in a rMBA to make it thinner...

I do get the whole thing of, its a very expensive cpu, which it really is, no questions about it, on top of the high price of the quad we are still going to get the 50 from the edram, but it does make sense.

And with the cooling that the rmbp 13 has, just a minor adjustment should do it

PS: battery life between quads and dual cores standard voltage is pretty much the same now, if they use 28w, that would make a difference

There will be a 35W Haswell quad-core, but 28? Where did you find this information? I guess any 28W processor will be dual-core.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
28w is ULT and dual core only

I only saw a very minor and poorly written story on 35w dual cores and here is that news, Q3 as you mentioned before.

and there is a x230s now, it will be launched soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.