Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gqi

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 Macbook Pro 13" Retina and I will be attending school in September. I'm going to be taking my laptop everyday and I want to make sure my laptop looks as good as possible at the end of the program.

I've been looking into screen protectors and keyboard covers and cases. I want a case that won't scratch the aluminum body, but I want a case that looks good as well. I'm not sure about skins, since removals seem like a pain in the ass and wet skins; like the invisible shield is something I want to avoid all together because of the wet application.

I've read some reviews on Spec, Incase and others and all seem to have some form of scratching. Tech21 is newer so not much feedback is available.

What are some cases you guys have used and recommend?

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I just got the Tech21 impact snap case on Apr. 24/15. Was pricey at $110 in Canada, but so far it seems worth it. Fits great and the texture is nice. Was very easy to install and remove if you need to. Doesn't add much weight or bulk to the mbpr, still fits in my Incase backpack. I did a lot of research before buying, and this one seemed to be better than the others (Speck and Moshi). Good luck with whatever you choose.

TLmac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015
My niece has an Ibenzer case for her rMBP that she got from Amazon that she likes.

(I just ordered the same one but I can't give a review on it as I don't have the computer or the case yet. They are coming early this week).

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
why not just get a really nice sleeve to carry it in, and then use it when at a desk?

These are hands down the best you can get. They look good, are high quality, and will definitely protect your mac while you move around.
https://www.sfbags.com/collections/macbook-cases/products/outback-macbook-sleeve

+1 I got the Cityslicker case last week for my new MacBook Pro 15", and I absolutely LOVE it. The bags are a little pricey, but I agree that they are of the upmost quality. Plus, they're handmade in San Francisco, which is awesome.

P.S. I recommend the Nubock Leather... :)

Last edited:

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
There are several threads on this already, but below are my case and carry items.

SeeThru MacBook Pro with Retina Display 13" Case -- Hot Pink Lips

Vera Bradley Laptop Sleeve -- Mocha Rouge

Vera Bradley Metropolitan -- Mocha Rouge

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    305.6 KB · Views: 724
  • 2.png
    2.png
    780.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 3.png
    3.png
    556.8 KB · Views: 383

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
In terms of sleeves I got the following Incase ICON sleeve with Tensaerlite with my MacBook Pro last week. It provides great protection whilst being slim and form fitting. The only downside is that as a couple of the reviews on their site mentioned if you rest the MacBook Pro on the sleeve the magnet in the sleeve will make it go to sleep. It's a pretty good alternative to getting a case.

https://www.goincase.com/shop/sleeves/icon-sleeve-mb-retina-13/blackslate/

armlife

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
Thailand
don't buy a hard case for your Macbook

I just recently brought 2015 brand new retina macbook pro and buy the third party hard case on the date of purchase, I have carried my macbook pro with that hard case for 5 days and I tried to get it off.

Once I got it of, I notice that there are 2 ultra tiny scratches on the unibody. :confused: (It caused from the tiny rock in between plastic and aluminum)It made me feel annoying for that too much because I bought it for protection but it damage my new device, It is so freaking bad experience of using the hard case.

Gqi

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
So I've done some more research and found out a hardshell case is something I should avoid, in general. The tech21 case looks very good, but there are some people who have noticed scratching, so I'm avoiding it.

The SFBags looks AMAZING! :eek::eek:

But how does it compare to the Thule sleeves?

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
So I've done some more research and found out a hardshell case is something I should avoid, in general. The tech21 case looks very good, but there are some people who have noticed scratching, so I'm avoiding it.

I don't own a Thule sleeve, but their padding looks very similar to SFbags, on the inside. Which is the biggest selling point. The outside of the case can look amazing, but if it doesn't protect your Mac, it's worthless.

SFbags are very customizable when ordering, both in color and accessories, so that's also something to consider. It probably comes down to which case you prefer, and how much money you want to spend. I hope this helps a little... :)
Good luck in your decision!

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

I Love SFbags(Waterfield). I own their sleeve case and now the Staad Backpack. Great design, excellent build quality, excellent customer service.

Padding is excellent, especially in their Sleevecase, as my old cMBP fell from a table after I accidentally pushed it off and there was zero damage to it.

My rMBP is completely naked and flawless after almost a year. Care with with a nice bag/sleeve/case makes a hard shell unnecessary. Too many people nowadays buying $1300+ machines but cheaping out on what they carry it in.

PJM82

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
United Kingdom
I just picked up the STM Alley shoulder bag (13) for under £10 on eBay. Wanted something protective but light and could take my iPad and easily be put into one of my rucksacks or cases for long distance travel.

I will be using it with the early 2015 MacBook Pro retina 13 which is in a clear shell too.

Last edited:

thefrenches

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I can highly recommend the Booq Taipan Spacesuit to anyone looking for a decent MacBook Pro Sleeve :)

http://www.booqbags.com/us/sleeves/taipan-spacesuit/TSP13-GRY

I bought this case for my new rMBP and I'm a bit disappointed in the size - seems more designed for the Air, with its larger overall dimensions, as the rMBP is loose inside this sleeve.

Anybody find one that is designed to fit the rMBP better?? This Booq is nice, but not worth $40 if it doesn't fit snugly, in my opinion.

clovehitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I bought this case for my new rMBP and I'm a bit disappointed in the size - seems more designed for the Air, with its larger overall dimensions, as the rMBP is loose inside this sleeve.

Anybody find one that is designed to fit the rMBP better?? This Booq is nice, but not worth $40 if it doesn't fit snugly, in my opinion.

I was figuring that, from reading the description. Shabby--the rMBP swims in a regular MBP sleeve. Almost ordered one too.

The incase looks formed to fit, although it has extra perimeter padding.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
so guyz i bought a new rMBP. i am looking to buy a sleeve for it which has pocket for the charger and headphones. i dont want to spend a big amount on the sleeve. so kindly suggest me some. thanks

terencedriver

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
I used to have a beez wasabi case for my old MBA13 and I'm sure the shock absorbing sponge saved the device a few times during falls onto hard surfaces and edges.

For a rMBP13 .. What do you recommend that is

* light
* minimal bulk
* crucially absorbs shocks especially to the corners

The Incase ICON seems to meet these needs. Any thoughts? It does look cheaply constructed given the high price.

Other options?

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
so guyz i bought a new rMBP. i am looking to buy a sleeve for it which has pocket for the charger and headphones. i dont want to spend a big amount on the sleeve. so kindly suggest me some. thanks

I just got new macbook myself and picked up an incase deluxe sleeve from amazon that has a zipper pouch on the front. It's perfect for me. I will probably use that to toss in my portable hard drive and bring my magic mouse with me as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Incase-Cl5756...31070261&sr=8-4&keywords=incase+deluxe+sleeve

That's the one I got and for the price it seemed great for me. They have a few others that I considered as well, but most were higher in price.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I just got new macbook myself and picked up an incase deluxe sleeve from amazon that has a zipper pouch on the front. It's perfect for me. I will probably use that to toss in my portable hard drive and bring my magic mouse with me as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Incase-Cl5756...31070261&sr=8-4&keywords=incase+deluxe+sleeve

That's the one I got and for the price it seemed great for me. They have a few others that I considered as well, but most were higher in price.

oh that is nice. thanks for the link. the link is for 15 inches. i just navigated to 13 inches one as mine rMBP is 13 inches. Thanks once again!

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Finally got the inside replacement for my blue carbon fiber SlickWrap. The inside was impossible to install perfect and I ending up using an xacto knife to trim it on the sides where it was hanging over. That aside, I love the look!

Attachments

• IMG_4355.jpg
    IMG_4355.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 421
  • IMG_4356.jpg
    IMG_4356.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 463
  • IMG_4357.jpg
    IMG_4357.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 379

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
It's a great look but does the lid close completely now?

Finally got the inside replacement for my blue carbon fiber SlickWrap. The inside was impossible to install perfect and I ending up using an xacto knife to trim it on the sides where it was hanging over. That aside, I love the look!

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

My concern is what if any negative impact that carbon fibre skin will have on the display when the MacBook is closed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.