Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
How about no cases? Cases tend to make notebooks look ugly and thicker. Try sleeves instead.

I agree about sleeves. I love the Crumpler Fug sleeve I had for my Macbook Air 11". Perfect fit, minimal added thickness, and easy slide-in\slide-out. Wish they made them for rMBP 13"

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
I read some reviews of the incase neoprene sleeve for the 13 inch retina mbp has magnet issues that cause it to go to sleep when you place it under the laptop. Anyone have experience with this? Is there a certain position you can flip the case to prevent this?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I read some reviews of the incase neoprene sleeve for the 13 inch retina mbp has magnet issues that cause it to go to sleep when you place it under the laptop. Anyone have experience with this? Is there a certain position you can flip the case to prevent this?

Why would you place your laptop on top of the case?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I've never placed mine below my laptop when in use so I can't answer that for you. I'll see if I can give it a go when I get home and see what happens.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I tried it and it depends on the orientation of the sleeve. If the side with the opening is on the left then the case will put your MacBook to sleep. If the the side with the opening where the magnet is is on the right it does not affect the MacBook. So as long as you are mindful of the orientation you should be alright.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
I personally like the incase sleeves. They're simple and cheap and does the job! No need to spend $100+ on premium leather and wool, because that's going to help my protect my MacBook how??

I decided to get one yesterday from BB for $39.95, hoping that within the 30 day return/exchange policy incase will come out with a sleeve specific for the rMBP. The one below fits, but it's got a bit of slack. I needed one now, I've been paranoid since last week.

JDFog.jpg

ehh, my thumb looks weird.

I ordered a rMBP and while I wait for it to arrive, I wanted a sleeve. I went with the incase 13" sleeve as well. Went blue (favorite color). I understand there might be some slack but that's ok. It does what I need it to do honestly and it will protect it nicely. Just looking to keep it clean/scratch free is all.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006

Thanks for letting me know. But the cover can be used, right?

You can still use a keyboard cover, but don't leave it on when you close the lid. I take mine off when I'm closing the machine and just slap it on the lid of the display before sliding the machine into my incase sleeve. The matte coating on the keys wears off way too fast on these machines. Closing it with the keyboard cover on will definitely damage the display as it applies too much pressure.

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
If anyone is interested check out my video review of the Yessbon PU leather case for the 15" retina Macbook Pro. They also make them for the Airs and the 13" rMBP. I also compare the bag to a few other bags I own from CaseCrown and Waterfield Designs.

chrislimzzz

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Hi guys!
So I've been doing some research and can't decide between choosing a dBrand skin or a Slickwraps skin for my 15' Macbook Retina. From what I've seen, Slickwraps' customer service seems to beat dBrand hands down, but it seems that dBrand's skins are of higher quality? I've heard that the Slickwrap skins seem to come off just after a few weeks :( I'm from Malaysia btw so getting one of these skins ain't cheap and I really just want the best for my Mac. Thank you!

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
Hello everyone,

Just purchased a 256GB 2015 MBPr. I'm really loving the slim profile of this laptop (and of course the retina screen!)

I am looking for a nice sleeve to protect this laptop while in my backpack, as my previous cMBP had a terrible scratch on the top shell. I'm looking for a affordable (20-25 bucks or less) sleeve that maintains the slimness of this laptop. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bananas Ananas

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure your backpack is just fine without a sleeve. :D

For real, I know what you mean and I'm looking for something similar. All cheap sleeves seem to fit very badly for rMBP though.
thats what i thought! but you know how student life goes - big backpacks filled with not only your laptop but heavy textbooks and such all clanging together. My old MBP had a deep scratch - maybe i'll even call it a gash - on the top which i don't want on my new beauty

EDIT: DOH! Just saw my typo... hehe

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Just wanted to let everyone know, I recently got the North Face Recon backpack and my 15" MBP fits perfectly in the sleeve in the backpack. I would highly recommend.

I bought this backpack last year and man oh man. It is one of the best backpacks a modern day tech enthusiast, on the go adventurer can get.

It also has a built in sleeve for an iPad. One of the best features which I see almost no backpacks do still (a mistake) is that the sleeve for the laptop and iPad are lifted from the bottom of the bag so they don't always make contact when placed on the ground and then on the bottom of the sleeves is a roll of bubble foam padding to protect it from when you set your bag down on the floor.

It can fit a lot in it and has a ton of storage compartment options.

I recommend it highly!

slight32

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
I'd like a backpack that would fit a DSLR plus one or two small lenses and a 13" MBP, does anyone use anything like this, or have suggestions?

Bananas Ananas

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts
Any suggestions?

I just ordered this: https://www.sfbags.com/products/macbook-suede-jacket-sleeve

I chose horizontal sleeve for 13" rMBP and the cost ended up to be $31 after shipping. Once I receive my order I'll update how the sleeve works out.

Edit: This is probably just what you're looking for. Sleeve is made out of pretty good quality suede and barely increases dimensions of rMBP at all, while protecting it from scratching in bag. It is expensive for what it is, but seems like there's no better options on the market.

Last edited:

~~Hello~~

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
So has anyone got the outback solo case for their mbp? Is it thick? I need a case which will fit in a backpack so not interested in carrying straps. Just wondering if the flap is secure and wont slip out when putting it into a bag vertically...

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Can anyone recommend a good messenger bag for my 15" rMBP. I'm going to be a graduate TA in the Fall so I can't wear my old Eddie Bower backpack on my dress clothes.

I need to take my laptop, a binder or two, and a textbook or two. I really want it to be quality since I'm taking some heavy stuff in it. I'm looking on Amazon, but it's hard to gage size.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Can anyone recommend a good messenger bag for my 15" rMBP. I'm going to be a graduate TA in the Fall so I can't wear my old Eddie Bower backpack on my dress clothes.

I need to take my laptop, a binder or two, and a textbook or two. I really want it to be quality since I'm taking some heavy stuff in it. I'm looking on Amazon, but it's hard to gage size.
You can't beat a Tom Bihn or Waterfield bag for quality. They're pricey but well made and durable. Sometime yo can get a good deal on Ebay. I have bags from both companies and they are the best ones I've owned.

Reactions: Traverse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.