Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Ordered the Naked series “Clear Matte” skin from Slickwraps, overall I’m pretty happy with it, I wanted something to look like nothing is there and only if you look up and close you will see the film. Install was pretty easy, just take your time to align the Apple cut off and go to each corner. I do wish it cover up a little more on the edges but not a deal breaker. The feel on the clear matte film is more gloss than matte, it has an Anti-fingerprint with oleophobic coating (oil repellent) so it’s a bit slicker than the natural aluminum. I think this will be a great option for those with the Midnight color and not have to deal with the fingerprints.
This film looks great and am tempted to get it for my MBP. My only concern is what could happen to the laptop material after a lengthy period of this skin being on.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
This film looks great and am tempted to get it for my MBP. My only concern is what could happen to the laptop material after a lengthy period of this skin being on.
great question, it depends on what you mean by lengthy period. 1-2 years is probably fine, but you wouldn't want to leave that on for any longer as the adhesive can make it very difficult to remove. Plus the film made turn yellow or dirty by then. I had this one on another Macbook for 6 months and took it off because I was selling it and when I took it off, there was nothing on the macbook and no damages was cause by the film.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I'm so embarrassingly protective of mine that I just couldn't put any of these films on. I'd constantly be thinking about whats going on under that film 😱 🤣

Reactions: GeneticBloom

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'm thinking of getting a Tucano Second Skin for my new MBPr that is on its way to me.

I have one of these currently for my 2009 15" MBP, and its nice and snug, it doesn't have an edge to it like most of the new cases do, so I'm hoping it will also be nice and snug for the MBPr.

Give your feedback on the best cases to buy for the MBPr.

Specifically, whether the case is slack or snug, price, and your general rating as a user.

Picture/links would be good too!

Thanks for the reviews in advance!

My tip - don’t buy one of the sleeves originally made for the 13” macbook pro, listed on Apple’s online store as compatible with the 14” macbook pro. It’s very tight and my zip broke after a year. Forget the brand….

Maybe they’ve updated them now, but i bought mine in late 2021 and the sleeve was supposedly good for the 14” according to apple’s store…

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Damn. Nice one. And I thought my 11 years for my MBA 11” was good. Think it’ll still be okay if I get the swollen battery replaced.
I will get the Pro fixed but right now can't justify the cost. I did try to do it myself but didn't get far due to not being at all DIY minded 🤦

Reactions: Quackington

Ultra3

macrumors member
May 4, 2020
Harber London sent me the wrong sleeve, mildly frustrating while my brand new MBA sits here with no protection. They have been notified, will report back how they handle the situation.

Update*

They apologized for the mistake and sent out the correct unit promptly. Even allowed me to keep the first unit! Harber London seems to be a great company, will buy more!

Last edited:

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I’ve had over the years Harber, Von Holzhausen, incase, Hard Graft and now Ryan sleeves for my MacBooks.

I like the VH envelope for my last machine but they’re very expensive and a bit heavy for my new MBP16.I also liked the old incase icon sleeve but they don’t make them for the 16. I’ve gone with a Ryan leather sleeve and it’s really nice - good leather, very well stitched, monogrammed and in a lovely colour (turquoise and orange). And it was a good price relative to eg Woolnut, which was also a good sleeve.

(I wouldn’t go with the Harber or Hard Graft sleeves again because both of them stretched too much, too quickly and became baggy).

Reactions: outlawarth

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
Ordered the Naked series “Clear Matte” skin from Slickwraps, overall I’m pretty happy with it, I wanted something to look like nothing is there and only if you look up and close you will see the film. Install was pretty easy, just take your time to align the Apple cut off and go to each corner. I do wish it cover up a little more on the edges but not a deal breaker. The feel on the clear matte film is more gloss than matte, it has an Anti-fingerprint with oleophobic coating (oil repellent) so it’s a bit slicker than the natural aluminum. I think this will be a great option for those with the Midnight color and not have to deal with the fingerprints.

I got the dBrand skin on top instead xD.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Does anyone know if sfbags/Waterfield runs black friday sales?
I can't remember Waterfield ever having sales, and I've bought 4 or 5 bags over the past 10+ years. That said, if you're going to spend big on a Waterfield bag, it will be worth the asking price.

Reactions: ldenning

Kaizen

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
I can't remember Waterfield ever having sales, and I've bought 4 or 5 bags over the past 10+ years. That said, if you're going to spend big on a Waterfield bag, it will be worth the asking price.
Thanks. With the exchange rate and shipping to Canada their products are not cheap! But I think you’re right, they are worth the price.

Reactions: ldenning

Standard

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Canada
Hey all. My new M3 arrived. Just wondering what the community recommends for travel bags. I want something spacious, maybe a tote? Was looking at the faux leather cases from Apple to cover the machine with. Thanks!

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I use the Muzetto (medium) bag from WaterField Designs in San Francisco with my 14" MacBook Pro. FBF17322-A381-4D24-B247-CA155956B686.jpg

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
I picked up the Tech Folio Brief 14" for my Macbook Pro from Waterfield (sfbags). Only disappointment is that none of the organizational pockets can hold an xbox controller so I have to just drop it in the main compartment.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 11.11.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: phoenixbt

bad_robot

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
I carry my 14" MacBook Pro in a leather backpack I got from Von Baer.
The leather feels fantastic, and its generous storage compartments let me easily carry other essentials, like documents, cables, etc.
The price is $800, but it's worth every cent.

Last edited:

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
I’ve had over the years Harber, Von Holzhausen, incase, Hard Graft and now Ryan sleeves for my MacBooks.

I like the VH envelope for my last machine but they’re very expensive and a bit heavy for my new MBP16.I also liked the old incase icon sleeve but they don’t make them for the 16. I’ve gone with a Ryan leather sleeve and it’s really nice - good leather, very well stitched, monogrammed and in a lovely colour (turquoise and orange). And it was a good price relative to eg Woolnut, which was also a good sleeve.

(I wouldn’t go with the Harber or Hard Graft sleeves again because both of them stretched too much, too quickly and became baggy).
If you don't mind me asking how is the fit on the Ryan sleeve? Is the leather tight so that it feels like you have to force the laptop in? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.