Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

JokoWidodo

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
2017 rMBP here.
Replaced keyboard and battery last year for free by Apple after some of the keys weren’t responding properly.

Very satisfied with this 2017 rMBP still in 2022.
how old is yours exactly? im starting to worried about flexgate since our mac is old enough for it to happen at any point :(

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Has anyone had any luck with getting Apple to replace the display on a 15” model? My 2017 woke from sleep with no backlight, I restarted, and now the display won’t work at all.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Just had my 2016 TB screen replaced. It wasn't supposed to be covered as it was out of the program timeframe, but they had just done the upper case in November, so they were able to squeeze it in as a warrant repair for that.

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Bumping an old thread -- my 13" 2016 MBP started showing the stage light effects about 2 months ago, but didn't know what it was or there was a fix for it (and didn't want to take it away from my daughter who uses it as her primary machine for HS).

But today she told me it won't turn on at all (you can see the screen is still there, just no backlight - you shine a light at it and can see the display windows).

I was able to book an appointment for tomorrow. But I am worried now that they will deny it because it has been too long.

Also, the first symptom that I thought was not connected, but now I am wondering if it related is the FaceTime camera stopped working about 3 months ago. Are they related, and if they do do the repair will it also get fixed?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Bumping an old thread -- my 13" 2016 MBP started showing the stage light effects about 2 months ago, but didn't know what it was or there was a fix for it (and didn't want to take it away from my daughter who uses it as her primary machine for HS).

But today she told me it won't turn on at all (you can see the screen is still there, just no backlight - you shine a light at it and can see the display windows).

I was able to book an appointment for tomorrow. But I am worried now that they will deny it because it has been too long.

Also, the first symptom that I thought was not connected, but now I am wondering if it related is the FaceTime camera stopped working about 3 months ago. Are they related, and if they do do the repair will it also get fixed?
Everything goes through flex cables, so yes, it's related. and the repair is replacing the whole screen assembly, so yes.

Reactions: Squeak825

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
Let's just hope that the M1's are not affected by this but as the design is new my guess is that it's not affected.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I had the stagelights problem on my 2008 MacBook Pro 17 and I have it on my 2007 MacBook Pro 15 (which I don't use now). My understanding is that this is a backlight issue and not a cable issue. It might be different on newer MacBooks though.

If Apple won't replace it under recall, then I'd recommend replacing it with a 2020 M1 MacBook Air - much better system for students - and then sell the 2016 MBP for parts.

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007

Well, they took it in under the guise of fixing it per the Repair Program. I guess now I just need to wait and see what they say when they actually open it up, but optimistic now (made it past the first hurdle).

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Well, they took it in under the guise of fixing it per the Repair Program. I guess now I just need to wait and see what they say when they actually open it up, but optimistic now (made it past the first hurdle).
If they took it in, you're probably fine.

Reactions: Squeak825

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
I had the stagelights problem on my 2008 MacBook Pro 17 and I have it on my 2007 MacBook Pro 15 (which I don't use now). My understanding is that this is a backlight issue and not a cable issue. It might be different on newer MacBooks though.

If Apple won't replace it under recall, then I'd recommend replacing it with a 2020 M1 MacBook Air - much better system for students - and then sell the 2016 MBP for parts.

The plan was to always buy her a new MBA this year, but closer to Fall in order to get the Back To School deals, and hopefully a new version released. So at the end of the day the outlay will be the same, was just hoping to get another 5 months or so out of this machine before having to buy the new one.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I finally saw one of them here at work and it's the 13-inch 2016 MacBook Pro with 4-TB3 port model. I gave Apple a call and mentioned the service program, they will send out a shipping box. Hope it's covered when the tech saw it at the depot.

Flexgate.png

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
I have seen some instances of them refusing due to no "no backlight" issue, despite the issue being the short cable

Stiglitz1

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2022
My 2017 has the same issue, been using it with an external screen but really need it to work...Can't believe there is no repair program from Apple for the 2017. This machine already had the keyboard replaced under a repair program. This 2016/2017 design really was the worst Apple ever made.

Anyone have luck on the 2017 repair with apple? If so, how did you do it? I have a "genius" bar booking next week.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
My 2017 has the same issue, been using it with an external screen but really need it to work...Can't believe there is no repair program from Apple for the 2017. This machine already had the keyboard replaced under a repair program. This 2016/2017 design really was the worst Apple ever made.

Anyone have luck on the 2017 repair with apple? If so, how did you do it? I have a "genius" bar booking next week.
I got this done on my old 2016 13" MBP which was covered under the program, so don't have your exact experience, but I've gotten a few items replaced/repaired on favorable terms when they weren't *exactly* covered under warranty, AppleCare or a service program. Those situations were similar to yours in that while not technically covered, they maybe should've been "in the spirit" of the warranty/program and a reasonable person might agree with.

Here's my suggestions:
- Be kind and polite
- Show them the problem and mention that this appears to be the exact same display issue that the 2016 model is covered for
- Say upfront that you understand that because yours is a 2017 MBP, and not a 2016, it's technically not covered under the service program. (You should also check if it's been 5yrs since you purchase yours, as that's also a stipulation of the service program)
- Mention how you've been using it with an external screen since it broke, you've already had to get the butterfly keyboard repaired, and it's just been a tough slog with this MBP generation / model for you
- (Still nicely) acknowledge that you know they don't have to help you, but you're basically asking for a favor to see if they/manager can help you out.

You're essentially coming at it with full acknowledgement that by the letter of the law, you're not covered and they don't have to help you, but sort of putting it on them to see if they feel bad for you (because it is a raw situation). They still might not, but I think this approach gives you the best chance, and is much better than getting upset / raising a stink.

I've also found it can help if you can go to an Apple Store that's in a nicer neighborhood / area, smaller and/or less trafficked. I find that these stores (vs the largest ones in the biggest malls, etc.) tend to get less customers who are "trying to abuse the system", which I wouldn't be surprised would make employees more jaded in general, with managers less willing to try and push something through as they've "heard it all". Not sure if that's an option for you based on where you live.

Also, if the first employee won't help you, you could try again at another store, or with a different employee (though probably at a different time). Best of luck.

Reactions: Pedro147

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I got this done on my old 2016 13" MBP which was covered under the program, so don't have your exact experience, but I've gotten a few items replaced/repaired on favorable terms when they weren't *exactly* covered under warranty, AppleCare or a service program. Those situations were similar to yours in that while not technically covered, they maybe should've been "in the spirit" of the warranty/program and a reasonable person might agree with.

Here's my suggestions:
- Be kind and polite
- Show them the problem and mention that this appears to be the exact same display issue that the 2016 model is covered for
- Say upfront that you understand that because yours is a 2017 MBP, and not a 2016, it's technically not covered under the service program. (You should also check if it's been 5yrs since you purchase yours, as that's also a stipulation of the service program)
- Mention how you've been using it with an external screen since it broke, you've already had to get the butterfly keyboard repaired, and it's just been a tough slog with this MBP generation / model for you
- (Still nicely) acknowledge that you know they don't have to help you, but you're basically asking for a favor to see if they/manager can help you out.

You're essentially coming at it with full acknowledgement that by the letter of the law, you're not covered and they don't have to help you, but sort of putting it on them to see if they feel bad for you (because it is a raw situation). They still might not, but I think this approach gives you the best chance, and is much better than getting upset / raising a stink.

I've also found it can help if you can go to an Apple Store that's in a nicer neighborhood / area, smaller and/or less trafficked. I find that these stores (vs the largest ones in the biggest malls, etc.) tend to get less customers who are "trying to abuse the system", which I wouldn't be surprised would make employees more jaded in general, with managers less willing to try and push something through as they've "heard it all". Not sure if that's an option for you based on where you live.

Also, if the first employee won't help you, you could try again at another store, or with a different employee (though probably at a different time). Best of luck.

Having a good record of Apple purchases can help. I've been a long-term Apple customer and I'm sure that they look this up. If you've spent $50,000 on Apple gear, then they may well treat you better.

The 2016-2019 years were just miserable for MacBooks and I think that Apple realizes this. Taking care of you now would mean M1, M2, M3, ... M25 sales down the road.

Stiglitz1

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2022

Here's my suggestions:
- Be kind and polite

Thanks for the detailed guidance, I will give it a try. I am based in Singapore, so not many options store wise, just 3. Will ask really nicely and see how they react.

Reactions: Pedro147

Pedro147

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Australia

I have never presented with a 2017 A1706/08 but from anecdotal experience I have heard that if you are pleasant and push the loyal Apple customer for the past 20 years line, you can be lucky. Also the fact that the 2016 and 2017 screens are exactly the same part so make them aware of the fact that you know this. All this cannot hurt and as I said, I believe that there are people out there that have had 2017 13' and even A1707 15" machines covered. Certainly not the norm but it has happened enough to give it your best shot. Good luck and maybe tell them that you or a member of your family went to school with Steve Jobs :D

Reactions: pshufd

Pedro147

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Australia

Here's my suggestions:
- Be kind and polite

All great advice for sure and similar in many regards to mine. Yours is much more comprehensive but I did have the Steve Jobs joke, so there is that in my favour :)

Reactions: pshufd

Stiglitz1

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2022
Went to the store yesterday, they diagnosed the issue pretty quickly. Lady commented it is a common problem, but there is no program thus Apple Care need to contract me. They called, said they couldn't help, asked nicely and they escalated to a senior engineer. He was not aware of the flex problem, did some research and agreed it sounds similar to the 2016 problem. Said he would need to check if it could be covered or if Apple can help in any way, so called me back today and said no. There is no other option to explore them covering this, and no other escalation options. It is very disappointing, coming from someone with >10 of their devices, and been a user for so long, I find their approach to this pretty unlike them.

I have asked if I can get something written back from them explaining why they cannot cover it, but they refuse to do so. This is obviously too much legal exposure for them. I have asked for a copy of this call/transcript at a minimum, I have been send some privacy processes to follow. When I get it I'll see how I feel. Maybe lodge something in small claims court.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Went to the store yesterday, they diagnosed the issue pretty quickly. Lady commented it is a common problem, but there is no program thus Apple Care need to contract me. They called, said they couldn't help, asked nicely and they escalated to a senior engineer. He was not aware of the flex problem, did some research and agreed it sounds similar to the 2016 problem. Said he would need to check if it could be covered or if Apple can help in any way, so called me back today and said no. There is no other option to explore them covering this, and no other escalation options. It is very disappointing, coming from someone with >10 of their devices, and been a user for so long, I find their approach to this pretty unlike them.

I have asked if I can get something written back from them explaining why they cannot cover it, but they refuse to do so. This is obviously too much legal exposure for them. I have asked for a copy of this call/transcript at a minimum, I have been send some privacy processes to follow. When I get it I'll see how I feel. Maybe lodge something in small claims court.

One last thing you could try is for a good discount on a new model. I suspect that their reluctance to cover is related to the problems with the global economy and likely to persist for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.