Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Apple was forced to fix my 5 year old machine via a legal order less than two months ago. Since then, 6 people have used my case and documents to have theirs fixed in various Apple stores. I'm assisting around 15 more people with pursuing action in the same way I did.
Under the wonderful consumer protections we enjoy here in Australia, I can keep posting about about this until the defect units are up to 10 years old, because that's how long a consumer is entitled to protections under the law here.
It's very satisfying to know my work is helping other people beat Apple's dishonesty.
Do you have any evidence their chief designer lost their job because of Flexgate, or are you just making that up?

bob_zz123

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2017
Not sure there's any "dishonesty" involved, I'm all for companies making quality products but the entitlement culture here is out of this world, literally some people will be complaining that their computer is faulty and it's all someone else's fault when the thing is 50 years old.

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Apple was forced to fix my 5 year old machine via a legal order less than two months ago. Since then, 6 people have used my case and documents to have theirs fixed in various Apple stores. I'm assisting around 15 more people with pursuing action in the same way I did.
Under the wonderful consumer protections we enjoy here in Australia, I can keep posting about about this until the defect units are up to 10 years old, because that's how long a consumer is entitled to protections under the law here.
It's very satisfying to know my work is helping other people beat Apple's dishonesty.
Do you have any evidence their chief designer lost their job because of Flexgate, or are you just making that up?
Not sure there's any "dishonesty" involved, I'm all for companies making quality products but the entitlement culture here is out of this world, literally some people will be complaining that their computer is faulty and it's all someone else's fault when the thing is 50 years old.
Apple have lied about the fact that cables on ALL A170x models are subject to flexgate, that's what I call dishonesty.
As for entitlement, if I buy a product with a manufacturing defect, I'm happy that my government support the view that should be rectified at no cost to the consumer within a reasonable amount of time.
Apple themselves in their environmental statements say products are tested to be durable and long lasting, so it's reasonable for me to expect that isn't also dishonest.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Considering you position yourself as someone all clued up about it you surely yourself have figured out from all the circumstantial evidence that Ive was almost certainly shown the door following the plethora of 'gates' with bendy phones, faulty laptop screens and sh-t keyboards, just to name three. But if you're looking for some kind of smoking gun to prove it, you won't find one because that's not the Apple way. Officially their dirty laundry doesn't exist.

And as for your ten year consumer protection laws, that's genuinely great news for you.
But meanwhile, in the rest of the world...

Reactions: Fred Zed

lusinekhachatryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Paris, France
As @2017MBPflexgate mentioned, the 2016 13” MBP was covered by an official service program.

It technically expires 5yrs after the date of purchase, so whether you’re officially covered or not depends on when you bought it. Even if it’s past the 5yr mark, because it was covered, you *might* be able to convince an Apple Store employee (would likely need to be approved by a manager eventually) to give you a courtesy fix.

I would book a service repair appointment at an Apple Store, and then follow some of the advice in this thread on trying to make the case if you’re outside the 5yr mark. If you’re still within 5yrs of purchase date, then should be no problem.
Thanks a lot Christopher Kim. It was confirmed by Mac iCare service that it is the same problem. But they refused to repair it for free because I bought it in December 2016, even if i started using later and it was my 3rd computer. The program started in May 2019 for 3 years, so 4 months past. Hardly opened once a month. I have another appointment today with Apple in Paris. This is so disappointing for a company like Apple. You have to through away a computer because of its defect. I loved Apple and I don't even want to use my iPhone now. I would like to know if there are still other people in my situation. Thank you.

lusinekhachatryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Paris, France

Apple have lied about the fact that cables on ALL A170x models are subject to flexgate, that's what I call dishonesty.
As for entitlement, if I buy a product with a manufacturing defect, I'm happy that my government support the view that should be rectified at no cost to the consumer within a reasonable amount of time.
Apple themselves in their environmental statements say products are tested to be durable and long lasting, so it's reasonable for me to expect that isn't also dishonest.
Can youu please help me? I am in the same situation in Paris.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Love what you are doing, mate. It should not be tolerated that companies get away with design flaws that they perfectly know about.

A few years ago with the staingate issue, they replaced screens but only if you asked for. They never made public the program to keep the costs at minimum.
They have your Apple ID, so it's easy to send an email alerting of the service programs for your machine.
They did that with the faulty MBP 2015 15" battery, but it should be mandatory for all fixes available for your devices.

It's also infuriating the time limitations for the service programs. It should be a law that a know defect must be fixed for free AS LONG AS THE DEVICE IS WORKING. I don't care if the cable failed a month later after the 4 or 5 years of my purchase, it failed because it's bad design.

Regarding the quote above, the past week I saw a MBP 2019 13" with the same defect (screen working up to 10 degrees or so then turning off while opening the lid further). So, I guess that the saga is not over yet.

Reactions: 2017MBPflexgate

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Yes, excluding the slight lengthening of the flex cables, the physical characteristics of the hardware are identical and and the durability of the flex cable when it is subject to constant bending, is far from proven.

lusinekhachatryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Paris, France
I've read the new macbook pros are quite good, but at the moment im like screw this company they've taken enough of my money. I have a 2016 15" macbook pro with the flexgate where my backlight is now broken due to them using too short a cable. If it was a 13" model they would fix it no charge. But because they never declared a program for the 15" models they tell me its a $700 fix. This isn't the kinda thing that can even get broken by a consumer, only their defect causes this. Its outrageous they just expect you to roll over after a $3000 laptop breaks with 5 years of use. I've talked to a genius at the local store, i've talked to two techs on the phone. They all tell me to f'n bad. I always thought of apple being known for making a quality product, but this sure makes me think those days are long gone.
Same for me. People should stop buying the products

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Regarding the quote above, the past week I saw a MBP 2019 13" with the same defect (screen working up to 10 degrees or so then turning off while opening the lid further). So, I guess that the saga is not over yet.
Here's a very recent youtube showing a 2019 model
The cables are still so pathetically weak in even current models.

thatpauloguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2022
Hi can you please send me the details - I'm considering taking apple to small claims court here in the UK. 2018 MBP here and its suddenly gone to poo and I've discovered the whole flexgate issue. They want me to pay £700 to replace the screen for a fault which was inevitable with their naff design. Total brick walling me on the issue.

thatpauloguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2022
Hi. Long time UK user here. A long slew of problems since 2015. Had the battery issue, a logic board issue and now my 15" 2018 MBP is suffering from flexgate. Apple want £700 to replace the screen and it's a HELL NO from me having seen all the issues people are having. Will be taking apple to the small claims court to force their hand and would like as much evidence as possible from other 2018 MBP owners who are having this issue. Anyone here in the UK had any success with getting apple to repair or replace for free as they rightly should?

thatpauloguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2022
I think a cable that Apple *know* is a bad design from the get go wearing out approx two years in (ie - the same level of wear and tear for all users) isn't entitlement culture. Its bad faith on Apple's part.

Reactions: monokakata

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Hi can you please send me the details - I'm considering taking apple to small claims court here in the UK. 2018 MBP here and its suddenly gone to poo and I've discovered the whole flexgate issue. They want me to pay £700 to replace the screen for a fault which was inevitable with their naff design. Total brick walling me on the issue.
No problem, I'll DM you with everything I have and I'll be happy to help you take them to your local small claims!

Reactions: thatpauloguy

RP84

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Hi. Long time UK user here. A long slew of problems since 2015. Had the battery issue, a logic board issue and now my 15" 2018 MBP is suffering from flexgate. Apple want £700 to replace the screen and it's a HELL NO from me having seen all the issues people are having. Will be taking apple to the small claims court to force their hand and would like as much evidence as possible from other 2018 MBP owners who are having this issue. Anyone here in the UK had any success with getting apple to repair or replace for free as they rightly should?
I have issues on my MacBook Pro. Apple wanted £550 approx to repair

They did say if I purchased it directly from apple they would’ve repaired it for me. But because I purchased elsewhere they wouldn’t fix it

Really frustrating. Would be good to know how it goes with small claims court

Reactions: lusinekhachatryan

Igor3d

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2022
Hello, could you please help me? I have a macbook pro 15 2016 (assembly in 2017 at 8 week), I bought it at 2018 early, and soon will almost 5 year that I have been using it. I am a programmer and I am using it a lot and each days for almost 5 years, but I have not seen any a sign flexgate, but now I am started to afraid it, after I read a few articles about this problem, Maybe do you know, this problem soon should be get my macbook too? Or if it not happened for last 5 years I can don't worry?

lusinekhachatryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Paris, France
Hello, could you please help me? I have a macbook pro 15 2016 (assembly in 2017 at 8 week), I bought it at 2018 early, and soon will almost 5 year that I have been using it. I am a programmer and I am using it a lot and each days for almost 5 years, but I have not seen any a sign flexgate, but now I am started to afraid it, after I read a few articles about this problem, Maybe do you know, this problem soon should be get my macbook too? Or if it not happened for last 5 years I can don't worry?
I would recommend you to trade in now as you can. I am coming from Apple in Paris, after all failed communication with them I tried to trade in my Mac book pro 2016 for at least a small amount of money. They gave 0 saying it’s not working even though the only problem was when I was opening it fully because of their defect. Even the battery was the original and was working fine. Earlier or later it will die one day like mine and you won’t be able to get even 1 euro for your product. I am asking these days how this kind of company is a leader in the market … I hope that will change and will do my best to change it.

Reactions: greenmeanie

lusinekhachatryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Paris, France
Mine was the same. I never had ANY single problem and was using the day before normally. Next day in the morning it stopped working, just like that. I wish I could make my decision few weeks ago…

lusinekhachatryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Paris, France

They did say if I purchased it directly from apple they would’ve repaired it for me. But because I purchased elsewhere they wouldn’t fix it

Even if you purchased from Apple they would not. That is how they make money

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
They still have flimsy flex cables. The pre 2016 cable design is superior.
iFixit notes "plenty of slack" on the new 2021 MBP and a "new cable design". So they now don't tear at the display but are still flimsy. I have not yet seen reports of flexgate on the Notched MBPs, we have to see if the design holds up.

Thankfully I also live in Australia. I will excerise my consumers right if the cables fail. It will only come from Apple's pocket.

I love the 2021 MBP's because of Apple Sillicon and the fact I like macOS. If the cables to fail I will use my consumer right.

I would love to use a Windows laptop but I like macOS in my laptops as I find it better. Let's see how this 2021 design holds up compared to the 2016-2020 one.

Last edited:

thatpauloguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2022

Hey can you elaborate a bit more? What year MacBook (does it have the Touch Bar) what are the issues - is flexgate one of them etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.