Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, we reported an increasing number of early adopters experiencing concerning graphics issues on the new MacBook Pro.

All late 2016 MacBook Pro models appear to be affected, including standard 13-inch and 15-inch configurations with AMD Radeon Pro 450 or AMD Radeon Pro 455 graphics, but the issues appear to be most prevalent on the high-end 15-inch model with built-to-order AMD Radeon Pro 460 graphics.

macbook-pro-graphics-issue.jpg
15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar exhibiting graphics issues (jscooper22)

User complaints have continued to surface over the past five days, with new videos emerging showing the usual symptoms, ranging from brightly colored flickering and full-screen checkerboard patterns to screen tearing and visual artifacts. Affected systems sometimes become unresponsive or crash due to a kernel panic, requiring some new MacBook Pro users to perform a hard restart.

Separately, a number of users continue to report brief glitches during the boot up process on new MacBook Pro models, particularly along the bottom of the screen. It appears this issue is related to FileVault 2 startup disk encryption, as the glitches go away for many of these users once the feature is disabled.

Apple has yet to publicly acknowledge or comment on the graphics issues, but in a supposed email response to a MacRumors forum member, Apple software engineering chief Craig Federighi allegedly said he believes the problems have been resolved in the latest macOS Sierra 10.12.2 beta released on Monday. As a point of emphasis, this email response has not been verified.
Hi,

Thanks for your note! We believe we have addressed all of these graphics issues in the latest beta of Sierra 10.12.2 (available at beta.apple.com).

I hope that you enjoy your new MacBook Pro -- it's a fantastic machine!

- craig
While we have yet to verify the authenticity of the email beyond a reasonable doubt, there is some unscientific evidence to suggest it could be real:
o Although it could easily be faked, the response appears to resemble previous email responses sent by Federighi
o The user who shared the email response is a longtime MacRumors forum member who registered his account in June 2007
o Apple executives appear to be increasingly using email as a vehicle to subtly address customer questions and concerns
o MacRumors viewed a lengthy follow-up email the user received from Apple's Executive Relations team, which appears to be legitimateReports from affected users running the latest macOS Sierra beta are slim at this point, but at least one forum member claims to still be experiencing graphics issues on the fifth and latest macOS Sierra beta.

macOS Sierra 10.12.2 should be publicly released later this month, so additional user reports should soon prove if the graphics issues have truly been fixed.

Article Link: Apple Believes MacBook Pro Graphics Issues May Be Fixed in Latest macOS 10.12.2 Beta

Last edited:

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
I had issues with the graphic card in my late 2015 imac.

The sierra beta version from last month seemed to resolve those issues, so there is a good chance this may fix the mbp issues.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
How is this a software issue? Might be hardware related. Gpu going haywaire like Mac Pro 2013 gpu.

Or maybe those mbp are tired of apple's bs.

Reactions: Naraxus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
"It's a fantastic machine" LOL. Way overpriced this year, and many complain of lackluster performance. 2015 is the model you want. Trust me, I have one. (Plus you get to keep all your ports) ;)
Of course 2015 MBP is the model I want. I just hope they keep selling it on 2017, because I plan to purchase it with the Back to School deal.

I get more battery, several ports I actually use (USB, Thunderbolt -mini DP-, the great MagSafe...), and one of the best keyboards ever made.

My only hope is they to keep manufacturing it for several years. That way, I will have plenty of years of technical support before it become obsolete. You know, changing its battery a couple of times in 8-10 years, WiFi module if broken, etc...

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
"It's a fantastic machine"
Hmmm... a premium price for a fashion statement but not a pro device.
Please replace Timmy and bring back pro devices. I'm sticking with my 2012 MBPr until a pro device comes out or I need to jump ship.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Apple has yet to publicly acknowledge or comment on the graphics issues, but in a supposed email response to a MacRumors forum member, Apple software engineering chief Craig Federighi allegedly said he believes the problems have been resolved in the latest macOS Sierra 10.12.2 beta released on Monday. As a point of emphasis, this email response has not been verified.

This might be good news for anyone having this issue, although I guess it could be worse.
Apple could tell everyone that the MBP is working as intended.

lsatterfield

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
"It Just Works" - Steve Jobs
Sadly, all iPhones never "just worked" for me, even when Jobs was alive. I've always believed that quote to be a mask to cover up the identity of any users who experienced problems with their devices. However, my macbook 2011 always has "just work"ed--until later issues appeared due to it being a machine.

I have a feeling that if this issue isn't fixed soon, we could see an end to the Macbook Pro. This has, apparently, been the best sales of the Macbook Pro to date, and so many of them have issues! The next wave will encounter a disdain from early adopters. This has kind of been a cruddy year for tech giants, no?

Reactions: Lynnwb

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
You know with the way Apple has been pumping new Mac's out the door and its financial constraints over the last couple of years its not like they had the time and money to work the bugs out of these things. /s

That said, especially for laptops, avoid Rev A models if possible. The sense that Apple is “loosing it” (not financially yet) is palpable. Whether its the idea that making all the laptops variants of Macbook Air’s while raising prices and taking away useful ports and features (magsafe) would be a good thing, or the dropping of the AirPort line (just look who we have to go to for easy WiFi with updates), or the seeming abandonment of most of the desktop line of Macs (Pro and Mini) after terrible prior updates…its obvious Apple execs have made some bad decisions and seems to be doubling down on that path.

Once your down to just a phone and maybe a watch with no environment to go with them - it becomes easier for people to go to something else that looks better (on a whim) on the year you don’t hit it out of the park. While super profitable (till the fall) that’s not a good long term strategy for being around. Those profitable Mac sales are stable.

Last edited:

TimCookMustGo

Suspended
Nov 21, 2016
Not only did Apple release an under-powered and overpriced machine that lacks ports, lacks physical function keys, requires dongles, uses gimmicky touchbar, has terrible battery life and a terrible keyboard - the $2400+ 15 inch version has multiple issues.

Thanks Tim!

-Sent from my 15 inch Macbook Pro 2011

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I would think that Apple would have a definitive answer by now. They have been hoovering up data from customers.

Would be nice if it is was a software issue, but reminds me of the video / logic board issues in the early white G3 ibooks, and more recently the MBP issue others have already mentioned in this thread.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I hope that you enjoy your new MacBook Pro — it’s a fantastic machine!

- craig

I love how he still tries to convince people haha. And btw, why isn't he ever using a capital for his name? Is he trying to be cool or 'edgy' or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.