Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarlettejohansson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
MacBook Pro 2011 - 2013 (GPU failure, Apple replaced with next gen MacBook Pro)
MacBook Pro 2013 - 2017 (Staingate, still using it)
MacBook Pro 2017 - 2018 Touch Bar (Speaker failure/muffled, sent in for warranty)

In my opinion, any recall by Apple or any replacement is not a cure or solution to the issue. It is only to address the symptoms. Based on findings, these defects happen only 6 to 12 months down the road after end of production. By the time, the problem crops up and made headlines, Apple has already moved on to the next model.

During production, the manufacturer will "overproduce" a set number of spare parts in X quantity for warranty issues, replacement (due to owner's fault), etc.

Do you really think Apple is going to dispose all these spare parts which I presume in the millions worth?

Basically, you are getting a temporary fix until they ran out of spare parts. Hence the cut-off time for the recall programme.

I've experienced the GPU and Staingate first hand. "Luckily" all is covered (haha..) under their recall programme. And now my 3rd MacBook Pro speaker is giving me muffled sound.

Yes, I am an avid Apple user but my patience is wearing thin. Those who are considering to try out MacBook Pro, my advice is to be mentally prepared for any potential defects.
------------------------------

The above post was not approved by Apple forum administrator because it was speculative in nature. Well, you readers decide for yourself. =)

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
The above post was not approved by Apple forum administrator because it was speculative in nature. Well, you readers decide for yourself.
:eek:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Welcome to the real world where nothing is eternal, mass-manufactured goods fail, and laptops don't last more than 5 years on average. Good luck on your idealistic but ultimately futile quest for finding a computer (or anything, really) that doesn't have any issues.

Reactions: HenryDJP

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Good luck on your idealistic but ultimately futile quest for finding a computer (or anything, really) that doesn't have any issues.
So now that Apple's track record is not that stellar you're rationalizing their issues by stating the entire industry is incapable of producing a defect free laptop? Imo, its better to realize that Apple's track record is Apple's and not the industry. Other manufacturers can and do make high quality products.

My office uses HP laptops and desktops, many of them are near on 4 years old, and the vast majority of them have had zero problems. I support servers and we have a handful of servers running for 10 years (why have they not been decom'd is a story for another thread). I also support workstations and people in the field may have older equipment then the IS staff also have had no issues.

I think its a sad state of affairs if a consumer convinces himself a premium product is not able to last more then 5 years. By the way, my 2012 MBP is on year 7 and is still being used.

Reactions: SDColorado

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Most defects can in fact be solved by replacing the part with a spare part that’s ‘exactly’ the same design. It could be a manufacturing defect (always possible however small the chance) for example.

If the parts are bound to break by poor design, the replacement solves the problem only temporarily. But maybe that wasn’t apparent right away. It does take time to see a problem occur on a large scale, especially if they do in fact occur after 6-12 months. Still, that doesn’t mean everyone experiences it.

My dad’s 2011 MBP GPU was replaced and he later got his money back when it turned into a recall/repair program. The replacement he got never failed again in the 8-year period he used the machine. Problem solved... kinda?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So now that Apple's track record is not that stellar you're rationalizing their issues by stating the entire industry is incapable of producing a defect free laptop?

Not at all, maflynn. I believe that we, as Apple's customers, must continuously pressure them to upholding the high standards they promise to deliver.

At the same time, I believe that we should not forget that there are limitations to what manufactures can achieve and that we should also consider the overall state of affairs while discussing these issues. It is an unfortunate fact that with our current technology and knowledge, issues are unavoidable, especially if one develops products on the cutting edge, like Apple does. There is a certain subjective threshold to how many issues we can tolerate and accept and from which point on we say that a product/service etc. is a failure. It seems that many forum posters are setting this threshold impossibly high and expect things which simply can't be had with modern progress.

I think its a sad state of affairs if a consumer convinces himself a premium product is not able to last more then 5 years. By the way, my 2012 MBP is on year 7 and is still being used.

Average is not the upper bound. For instance, according to latest statistics, average life expectancy for US citizens is around 78 years. At the same time, approx. 50% of them will die before reaching that age. Which is a very trivial result when you consider the properties of normal distribution which usually governs such phenomena.

Reactions: HenryDJP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.