Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I'll give you extra points for the most ignorant post in ages.

Nothing more ignorant than clamoring for a machine that is outdated, overpriced, and very much behind the times to be further UPDATED by Apple. Anything short of discontinuing it at this point is not acceptable.

Why is everyone on this website so against the cMBP? Is it that hard to believe some people want to buy a cheaper laptop with a lot more storage?

Because that is not accurate, or most important. Its not "cheap" at all, its actually extremely LOW on VALUE. Overpriced for the offering and performance. Having to settle with a 256 SSD instead of a 512 because you just can't afford it is not a big deal. i don't care who you are, what you do, or what your so called "needs" might be. There are ways of accommodating that, dozens of ways, all far more practical and safer than just having a 'bigger disk'. The worst people on this site are the people that refuse to acknowledge that reality.

its not... the 900MB/s that you get is basically a sequential IO speed, what some people like me actually interested is the random IO speed.
unless you move a lot of sequential data like 50GB of movies in and out from SSD like those RED owners, theres no way you would see any benefit from sequential IO increase.
large numbers 900MB/s sure impress everybody, thats what SSD manufacturers want everybody to think.

That's complete and total nonsense. As SSD speeds increase, the ENTIRE MACHINE PERFORMANCE improves along with it. I've been using Macs and PCs for nearly 20 years....there is no comparison or substitute for a fast SSD when it comes to performance. The faster it gets, the more noticeable. Yes, every day real world use and performance. Every 100 MB/s of improvement is noticeable to just about any user. Take your FUD and your 70 MB/s HDDs and go elsewhere.

Why not use a NAS or move to the cloud?
Im not just talking about you now but all of you complaining about rMBP not having enough storage for your needs.

I bought a NAS 1½ year ago when i went from a stationary computer over to a laptop, and i just love it.
I can reach it from where ever i am. And so can my friends and family.
Only reason i can think of that can be a drawback to nas is if you have slow internet connection and need a lot of files when your not at home.

But that's not really an issue in Sweden where its almost standard now days to have an internet connection of 100mbit or more.

When at home i move files just slightly slower over the wifi then i would do from disk to disk transferring.

Having a 500gb SSD is really more then enough for me with a NAS with 6tb storage and and 100mbit+ internet connection and a 1gb local lan connection.

There are dozens upon dozens of realistic options for people who think logically. That does not extend to people who whine on blogs about their internal storage "needs".

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
The smart move imho, would be to have 2 up to date MBP versions:

- Macbook Air Pro similar if not thinner than current rMBP.

- Macbook Pro using PCIe flash stick and a hard drive with a more advanced fusion storage strategy, keeping it mostly powered down. It would have retina display as well. Slightly thinner than current cMBP, no ethernet, no optical drive.
I get the no optical, but why no ethernet?
We have several of the rMBPs at my job now and it is getting pretty tiresome to keep track of the ethernet dongles.
Ethernet may be redundant for home users but it is not going away in the business world.

Razormau5

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
I get the no optical, but why no ethernet?
We have several of the rMBPs at my job now and it is getting pretty tiresome to keep track of the ethernet dongles.
Ethernet may be redundant for home users but it is not going away in the business world.
Yes, and that is why Apple have invented the Thunderbolt > Ethernet adapter, so you can still use ethernet cables in the rMBP...

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Trying to be sarcastic even though asking a question that has a stupidly obvious answer. Well played, sir.
If you had read my post past the first sentence I was complaining about the TB-ethernet dongles.
I was well aware that they existed before you clued me in. Sir.
hence the "it is getting pretty tiresome to keep track of the ethernet dongles."
In computer guy speak dongle=adapter.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
If you had read my post past the first sentence I was complaining about the TB-ethernet dongles.
I was well aware that they existed before you clued me in. Sir.
hence the "it is getting pretty tiresome to keep track of the ethernet dongles."
In computer guy speak dongle=adapter.

I really dislike that people have started saying "dongle" when they mean "adapter". They are different things.

A dongle is a small piece of hardware that attaches to computer, TV, or other electronic device and enables additional functions such as copy protection, audio, video, games, data, or other services that are only available when it is attached. The term "dongle" was originally used to refer only to software-protection dongles.

For example, in order to use software called PlayBack Pro, you need the usb dongle to authenticate your machine (although they have made a digital version of the dongle now to make it easier for someone to rent their license). QuarkXPress use to also require a dongle for each computer, not sure if it still does.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Sorry to tell you, but its going to be October for new MBPs

Everyone who was expecting Apple to announce new MBPs in June (including myself) completely overlooked one very important fact: Apple just refreshed the Retina MBPs in February. (With the exception of 2010, Apple has been releasing MBPs on a June-Feb-Oct schedule for several years now.)

Now, you might say it was only a minor spec bump (true), but to Apple it was an updated version of the machines. This is why the immediately prior models are available for greatly reduced prices from the Apple Refurbished store. Since I foolishly sold my 2011 MBP 15" a few days before WWDC I was left without a computer to work on. Backed against the wall, I bought the refurbished 15" Retina 2.6ghz, 512gb SSD, 16gb RAM for only $2189 -- a whopping $612 savings over the current 2.7 ghz model similarly configured. It's a FABULOUS machine!

Yes, the fall will bring new Haswell MBPs, but so far reports are indicating only a minor increase in CPU performance, while the huge battery life gains seem confined to the ULT chip-equipped machines (see this Verge article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/13/4...killer-graphics-can-intels-haswell-deliver-on).

Wireless-ac WI-FI is nice, but I recently bought a Wireless-N Airport Express, and have no plans to replace it for at least a year or so. The anticipated improvements are just not worth me waiting four more months when I can be enjoying this beautiful computer NOW.

I'll return to this topic when Broadwell hits the scene.......

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I really dislike that people have started saying "dongle" when they mean "adapter". They are different things.

A dongle is a small piece of hardware that attaches to computer, TV, or other electronic device and enables additional functions such as copy protection, audio, video, games, data, or other services that are only available when it is attached. The term "dongle" was originally used to refer only to software-protection dongles.

For example, in order to use software called PlayBack Pro, you need the usb dongle to authenticate your machine (although they have made a digital version of the dongle now to make it easier for someone to rent their license). QuarkXPress use to also require a dongle for each computer, not sure if it still does.
I remember when dongle only referred to software auth keys. But language is not carved in stone. Meanings change over time. People that have a tenuous grasp of the subject are usually to blame.
I actually never refer to them as dongles myself in day to day practice. It seemed to be the prevailing term on this board though.
Nevertheless, I find the TB/ethernet adapter to be incredibly annoying in corporate use. Sales people lose them, web dept leaves them at home and marketing puts them in a can with all their pantone markers and forget about them.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I remember when dongle only referred to software auth keys. But language is not carved in stone. Meanings change over time. People that have a tenuous grasp of the subject are usually to blame.
I actually never refer to them as dongles myself in day to day practice. It seemed to be the prevailing term on this board though.
Nevertheless, I find the TB/ethernet adapter to be incredibly annoying in corporate use. Sales people lose them, web dept leaves them at home and marketing puts them in a can with all their pantone markers and forget about them.

Meanings change because we accommodate lazy, ignorant people instead of correcting them right then and there. Eventually, our language will be so vague it'll be meaningless.

As for your other point about people losing/forgetting them. Maybe if they felt the pain of doing that, they would stop doing it. Charge them up the wazoo for using yours or getting a new one. When people know someone will always make up for their carelessness, they will never make an effort to be less careless.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Meanings change because we accommodate lazy, ignorant people instead of correcting them right then and there. Eventually, our language will be so vague it'll be meaningless.
The meaning hasn't really changed though at this point:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dongle

The occasional misuse of the word by people who don't know any better isn't the end of the world as we know it, but should be corrected, because using a word incorrectly just makes someone look a bit ignorant, and I'm sure they don't want that.

Razormau5

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013

The occasional misuse of the word by people who don't know any better isn't the end of the world as we know it, but should be corrected, because using a word incorrectly just makes someone look a bit ignorant, and I'm sure they don't want that.

Apparently, some people wouldn't actually mind that. Not once have I heard an adapter ever being called a dongle. Maybe I just spend my time more intellectually informed people, who knows.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Apparently, some people wouldn't actually mind that. Not once have I heard an adapter ever being called a dongle. Maybe I just spend my time more intellectually informed people, who knows.

I've been hearing it more lately, unfortunately from people in the A/V business who SHOULD know better and HAD been using the correct term "adapter" for dvi, hdmi and vga -to- mini display port adapters until recently. I don't know what's changed but I'll do what I can to correct it.

That dictionary definition still says that a dongle unlocks new functionality. I suppose one could quibble that an ethernet to thunderbolt adapter does that but not if ethernet capability has been in the signal all along and the adapter just provides a form factor to access it (like a plug adapter lets me use european outlets but only because my curling iron can already accept the higher current).

Maybe we could look at it that a dongle puts new information INTO a computer (gives license permission, receives blutooth signals) while an adapter works with info coming OUT.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.

As for your other point about people losing/forgetting them. Maybe if they felt the pain of doing that, they would stop doing it. Charge them up the wazoo for using yours or getting a new one. When people know someone will always make up for their carelessness, they will never make an effort to be less careless.
Okay I'll let the VP of Marketing and the Sr Director of Web know that some guy on the internet told me to charge them for losing their ethernet adapter.
Is there a curse jar I can put a quarter in for using the wrong terminology? I certainly don't want to offend the MR committee on proper diction.
Anyway what were we talking about?

----------

hey if you are going to be the kind of enlightened commenter that posts links to dictionaries, at least quote the whole definition
"Also called wireless adapter. A device that can be plugged into a USB port to enable wireless access from a computer to an external Wi-Fi device, as a mobile phone, or to the Internet, via high-speed broadband, or to enable wireless connectivity in a printer or other peripheral."
But just for you guys (love you guys!) I swear to never say dongle again unless I am having unprotected sex and need to run and get a condom.
"sorry hunnie, gotta bag the dongle.":rolleyes:
Back to editing excel spreadsheets on a sunny Saturday afternoon.
wheee!

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Okay I'll let the VP of Marketing and the Sr Director of Web know that some guy on the internet told me to charge them for losing their ethernet adapter.
Is there a curse jar I can put a quarter in for using the wrong terminology? I certainly don't want to offend the MR committee on proper diction.

----------

hey if you are going to be the kind of enlightened commenter that posts links to dictionaries, at least quote the whole definition

"Also called wireless adapter. A device that can be plugged into a USB port to enable wireless access from a computer to an external Wi-Fi device, as a mobile phone, or to the Internet, via high-speed broadband, or to enable wireless connectivity in a printer or other peripheral."
But just for you guys (love you guys!) I swear to never say dongle again unless I am having unprotected sex and need to run and get a condom.
wheee!

For one, I'm not a guy, thanks. But I seem to have more balls than many on here so I understand the confusion.

That definition still spells out that it is something you plug into a usb port to ADD functionality, not to simply allow access to a signal that's already there, like a display or ethernet to thunderbolt adapter does. When you call an adapter a "dongle", you imply that it contains something that allows the thunderbolt port to do something it wasn't made to do and can't do without that dongle.

My clients never have a display adapter for their computers when they want to use their own computer to present. I don't complain about it. I just have some on hand to use. Not a big deal. When your people lose theirs, you supply another and charge their department for it. What's the big deal? If they are bigwigs, they don't give a damn about the expense anyway.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
For one, I'm not a guy, thanks. But I seem to have more balls than many on here so I understand the confusion.

That definition still spells out that it is something you plug into a usb port to ADD functionality, not to simply allow access to a signal that's already there, like a display or ethernet to thunderbolt adapter does. When you call an adapter a "dongle", you imply that it contains something that allows the thunderbolt port to do something it wasn't made to do and can't do without that dongle.

My clients never have a display adapter for their computers when they want to use their own computer to present. I don't complain about it. I just have some on hand to use. Not a big deal. When your people lose theirs, you supply another and charge their department for it. What's the big deal? If they are bigwigs, they don't give a damn about the expense anyway.

Anyway, I think Apple needs to stop treating ethernet like it is some obsolete technology. Running cables everywhere you need connectivity is certainly out of vogue among home users. But wifi is simply not practical or cost effective as a 24/7 connectivity option in business.
I get why they jettisoned 1394 and opticals. There are faster more robust solutions to both of those usage scenarios. (Though I still like burning certain files to disk. Read only is a great feature sometimes.)
WIFI is neither of these.
There are pre-configured Linux distros just for cracking Wifi. We deployed one to a laptop a year or two ago to test our intrusion detection and other security measures. SCARY EASY to get up inside our network and access client assets. Not cool!
The only way to be sure you are totally secure with wifi is to use certificate auth which is difficult, expensive and a major PITA to configure in a heterogeneous environment.
WEP II and WPA II are not secure. Especially if, as is often the case, your wifi password is susceptible to a dictionary attack.
It does add functionality. TB is just video and data. There is no ethernet "B channel". The Apple ethernet-TB adapter is just populating a NIC onto the PCIe buss. (oh boy can't wait till everyone flips out because I say BUSS not BUS). That is why each Ethernet adapter/dongle carries it's MAC address with it no matter which computer it is plugged into, while the configured IP address stays with the host computer.

Last edited:

Razormau5

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013

----------

wheee!

You've just pointed out the error in your terminology, a "wireless adapter" and the thunderbolt > Ethernet adapter are not the same things, the latter is not wireless and therefore cannot be included in the same definition of the word.

dingoeater

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Retina MPB announcement

"The Mac or iPad must be purchased from Apple or a participating Apple Authorized Campus Store from July 2, 2013, through September 6, 2013."

I bet we will hear about the new retina MBP shortly after the back to school sale ends. My guess is September 10th.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2013
I want a new release of cMBP with optical drive and retina screen. There are tons of people still depends on CDs/DVDs including store bought software, game, music and movies.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
I want a new release of cMBP with optical drive and retina screen. There are tons of people still depends on CDs/DVDs including store bought software, game, music and movies.

Apple will sell you an external one as an accessory. Did you see one in the new Mac Pro? That should answer any lingering doubts. Optical drives are no longer a part of the equation at the mother ship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.