Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
FORGET SMALL UPDATES TO MB/MBP, APPLE. YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR DISPLAYS!!!!! YOU NEED TO FIX THE MINI-DISPLAY PORT TO DUAL-LINK DVI ADAPTER!!!! THESE ARE MAJOR ISSUES!!!!

Then launch a netbook w/an embedded 3G modem w/the 3G modem available in the MBs and MBPs.

That is all.
Are you seriously suggesting that it somehow takes all of apples resources to fix the adapter?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'll believe Nehalem spinoffs when I see it.

Expect Core 2 Quad at best ushering us into the glorious era of 2007. Not that Apple will admit quads have been around that long.

mcnaugha

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
I don't agree - Apple does release aiming for WWDC attendees

Such updates at WWDC would be somewhat uncharacteristic for Apple who has not historically focused on these products during the developer's conference. Looking back at previous WWDCs, Apple has focused on iPhone, Mac OS X and Mac Pros/PowerMacs at the annual event.

While it's true that Apple does not make these updates at WWDC, it is also true that Apple 'aims' these updates just in time for WWDC so that many of the attendees who simply must have the latest notebook rush to order one to take with them to WWDC.

It's very funny seeing the sweat dripping from them as WWDC edges closer and Apple hasn't yet delivered their new gen notebook. When it arrives within a week or two of WWDC they can finally relax and know they'll be the coolest of the cool at WWDC.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Wait... time out... which part of the portable range doesn't have TI firewire? The standard MacBook has no firewire, so... are you talking about the MBP? I thought they reverted to TI on MBP after a short stint with Agere that made a lot of people furious.

Oh yeah I'd forgotten that the recent MBPs went back to the Agere chipsets, maybe they can also fix the reported issues with using third party firewire ExpressCard solutions.

mcnaugha

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
Clarksfield delayed??

When was there an announcement that Intel has gone ahead with a delay to the launch of Clarksfield? I know there were stories saying Intel is considering it, but I can't find anything confirming it's going ahead.

Also Clarksfield has been set for a Q3'09 launch period for many years now. Only a delay would relate to the economic downturn.

It's even possible that Apple has timed Snow Leopard for this because of its increased utilisation of cores. It could be a let down for Apple if Clarksfield is delayed.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
HIGHER PPI ON THE MACBOOK PRO 15" PLEASE!

That's the only reason I haven't picked one up yet. The Macbook Pro's 17" display blows the 13" and 15" away.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
My MacBook Pro 15" 2.93GHz is now available on eBay in order to get this new revision MacBook Pro... 3.06GHz or Quad Core?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
If the whitebook does go, I hope/expect the unibody macbook to take a price cut to make up for it.

Just because the CPU update is likely to be small doesn't mean the other components will also receive small bumps. I think there will be a significant HDD boost like the Merom (late 2006) and Penryn (early 2008) revisions. Coincidentally, those revisions are every other revision. I'm also hoping for the new battery and higher-resolution displays.

I don't think we'll see Nehalem until early 2010. And although Clarksfield is now more likely (since it's 35 W instead of 45/55 W), I still have some doubts for it in the MacBook Pros.

And what about the MacBook Air?

That's quite likely, like the 2007 MacBook Pro update.

Yea, we won't see Nehalem until very late 2009, or early-mid 2010. Why? Well for one, Nehalem isn't to be released until late 2009, but Apple will choose to revise their notebooks in the fall for the school year, as always, which will be too early for Nehalem. If Intel can't make this deadline, then Apple will probably choose to wait 150-200 days before revising it again.

Is there anything better than the 9400M in terms of integrated GPUs? Or rather, will there be anything better in June? If I remember correctly, the Intel graphics on the Macbooks were updated once a year. Intel GMA950, then 2 others and very recently they got the NVidia 9400M. Apple just updated the iMacs and most of them only have the 9400M so I don't think the new Macbooks in June will have better graphics than half of the iMac lineup... right? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for better and faster.

I guess there won't be new graphics for 13" Macbook then when Snow Leopard is released (I'm thinking September). Any ideas?

This is true, but that doesn't mean they can't upgrade the iMac's 'video card' too. I mean, if the Macbook had a better 'video card' than the iMac for a while, why wouldn't they do that again?

That lines up with the May Intel price drop, the back-to-school season and my predictions.

Yup, I agree.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Oh yeah I'd forgotten that the recent MBPs went back to the Agere chipsets, maybe they can also fix the reported issues with using third party firewire ExpressCard solutions.
They WENT BACK TO AGERE on the MBPs??? Is that true? That's a dealbreaker so I really need to cancel my MBP plans if it's true. I've tried using Agere for audio work a couple of times, and it was about as pleasant as keeping a cheese grater in your shorts.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Hopefully firewire back to the unibody Macbook, and matte options across the board.

Ridiculous that Apple can offer 9 different iPod Nano colors but can't manage to offer a built to order Matte display on all their notebook lines.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
F*** I just bought a new MacBook Pro for $2600 last week. :mad::mad::mad:

And its now useless because......?

Seriously, what are you mad about? At best it will be a slight spec bump. SLIGHT being the keyword.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
The problem with Clarksfield is that it's clock speeds are mostly sub-2 GHz, yet the 1.6 GHz model is rumored to cost much more (about $50 per unit) than the current 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo after its May price drop. Now don't get me wrong, Snowy will certainly make good use of the cores, but I think that overall Apple (and most consumers) will see dual 2.8 GHz to be better than a pricier quad 1.6 GHz model even with the Nehalem bonuses. It's possible that Apple may release a special MBP model for it but I don't think it will happen.
Agreed.

One way around this is to offer dual-core and quad-core versions (like the current Mac Pro), but that would require two chipsets for a mid/Q3 2009 release (for Penryn and Nehalem) so that won't work. Even with the Mac Pro, the 8-core and 4-core systems have the same clock speeds except for the 2.27 GHz 8-core.

Prometheus2000

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
The Scandinavians again!

Here in Sweden I pay around $25/month for the unlimited data plan for my iPhone. For a nominal fee I can get a secondary SIM card that I can stick in a computer or another 3G phone, still on the same plan... so yeah, 3G in a MacBook Pro would be great. Norwegian Telenor is planning rollout of 150 mbit mobile data...

Right... but I need the Express card port for mobile internet, unless of course Apple would have the decency to build that into the machines.

You mean unlimited as in "no restriction what so ever"? Man I envy you. In Germany all carriers have volume restriction in their small print, after that its GPRS all the way...usually 5-10 GB are allowed on your "Flatrate". Well below my usage of around 60GB a month...

Should consider immigrating, such a beautiful country...and now with these internet speeds. :)

Hilsen fra Tyskland! Now thats Norwegian, I know, but still.

REVOLUTION GUNS

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2008
Nyan, I've gotta side with NT1440 here. Your laptop's still a beast and you should be happy with it.

Really, when you buy into Apple, you buy into generally unpredictable product refreshes. Buying guides give you a rough idea; Apple adheres to generally consistent cycles, but there's always a curveball here and there, no matter the product. That's just how the company works.

Best to just let go and not get frustrated, especially over product bumps that haven't even materialized yet!

naeD

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
Would love to see the base 15" MBP jump up to 2.66 with a 7200 RPM drive and the built-in battery.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
You mean unlimited as in "no restriction what so ever"? Man I envy you. In Germany all carriers have volume restriction in their small print, after that its GPRS all the way...usually 5-10 GB are allowed on your "Flatrate". Well below my usage of around 60GB a month...
We have too many carriers and too few customers in Sweden, so yeah, I guess we're kind of spoiled. For 595 SEK/month (€54, $70) I can get flatrate for everything, i.e. unlimited data, talk time, SMS, MMS, plus access to WiFi hotspots. And in my last apartment I paid 295 SEK/month (€25, $35) for 100 Mbit internet access (fiberLAN). Next year they're upgrading to Gigabit...

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
Historically, Apple had MacWorld or other events to announce product updates. Going forward MacWorld with Apple is history so product announcement at WWDC might be the new trend. :)

DeepCobalt

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Over and around
First- sorry to have reminded everyone of the Larger FONT capability:(

Second, I just find it amazing that Apple offers a $6,000 Mac Pro and just two display choices for it--both on different connectivity standards... and you can't run two of the same kind from the same graphics card!!!!*

This is a serious product gap that needs to be addressed. It is unbelievable that this is not a high priority for Apple.

--------------------------------------------
*without using a broken, $100 adapter for dual 30"s, but can't run dual 24"s w/out two graphics cards

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
We will most likely have to wait until after Final Cut Studio 3 gets released. I expect it will require Leopard, but whether Apple makes it Intel-only, I am not sure.

If it relies heavily on Grand Central, Quicktime X, OpenCL etc. I'd bank on it being Snow Leopard only. Which will probably be offered at a heavily discounted price if bought with FCS3.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
A quad 1.8 - 2.0 on a Macbook or 15inch Macbook pro would make my dream laptop and i would be willing to pay handsomely for such power.

Would like a 13/15 inch, quad core, 8GB ram, and a good Mobile Ati, or a Nvidia Quadro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.