Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
I know that we've already decided that this is legitimate, but the site must be really new, because many of the links and services on the page are not up and running, and leave a message that says "this service will be available later."

Anyone experience this, or is it just me?

Gus

palendrome

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
Forget your first reaction to a tiny photo, wait to try it out in person

Forget your first reaction to a tiny photo, wait to try it out in person before you make a judgement. If Time is running a frontpage issue with the slogan "FLAT OUT COOL!", then give it a chance. My first reaction was, "What the ****?", but I pictured it sitting in front of me and I really liked the simplicity. This is a brilliant design. Ahead of it's time as usual.

Anyone thought about the wireless keyboard/mouse possibly built into this thing?

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
damn

i checked back on last time before and i couldnt resist, now im all pissed, but it is so different then what i thought it would be, i want one. i was hoping for a HUGE surprise tomarrow. This should change around apple i mean its new n cool like the first imac and if it has g4, it will be powerful, now i wish i hadnt bought my powerbook, but still 1200 in canadian isnt that bad, is it? but still thats not all thats comin, after seeing that i am almost positive about a portable tablet. If you remember, there was an article on this site about the picture of the screen with a pen by it, im sure there is a tablet, i mean there has to be, the pen sponsering, the picture in the borchure of the screen, there has to be something else. There is going to be something amazing. I think new airport, pda, and more. companies will be releasing addons to new mac stuff, and a g5 might not be far off. But the gameroom sign says to me that apple is getting many more games for us! i mean people comment on how few games they have (well people i know who use windows) but this might change that around. i think apple does have more than just this.

but, time in canada did not mess up, it is the day of the expo, so they are all right with what they did. Also they say the ipod signals apple to go into consumer electronic, even more suggesting they have more up their sleeve

[Edited by tw9876z on 01-07-2002 at 12:29 AM]

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
This Canadian folks - $1299

I am in Canada and this is a $1299 iMac.

Thats a USD $799 computer!

Is this the big thing? Its OK - I sort of like it, and it would work well as a work station in our offices (we have a sh*t pile of older iMacs for customer service stuff.)

OK - its probably good enough for a hit with the masses - Mr and Mrs dont-know-what-computer-to-get.

But wheres the big thing? Its likely that it wouldnt be released to Time becuase they would only be interested in the mass appeal machine.

We are still looking at 1 ghz and maybe the magical new object - PDA/thing.

iPhoto is perfect for the imac - most folks get lost in Photoshop, and anyway its too expensive (yeah, you can always do Hotline....)

Imac, iTunes, iPod, icamera (?), iPhoto, all for $799 plus the iPod. Its a good mass appeal combo, no question.

For the rest of us battle-hardened vets - maybe nada.

I hope not.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
time warner aol too smart to break law

if apple did not want their imac on the cover, time wouldn't have done this

steve jobs probably planned this whole thing to build interest

ask yourself, now do you want to see the keynote any less now?

i thought so

S

SleepNow

poopoo

I've coughed up better looking stuff than that thing.

burger011

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
palendrome

Help me out here please...

Is the LCD seperate from the hub or is all one piece?

From the cover picture and the article it seems as if its separate. The reason i ask, I dont see any cables between the 2.

And the photo on the cover seems a little different in that you can see the "hook" between the hub and lcd but on the big photo it looks like a pole....

N

no_time_to_register

what if...

steve jobs walks over and removes the monitor from the base and we have a tablet. perhaps that is the reason for the simple, elegant arm connecting the floating display. if this were the case, i would be soooo drooling more than i already am.

however, the more realistic side of me is saying that such a thng i unlikely,considering this paragraph from the timecanada article:

Rather than give his O.K., he went home from work early that day and summoned Ive, the amiable genius who also designed he original iMac, the other-worldly iPod music player, the lightweight but heavy-duty titanium PowerBook and the ice-cube-inspired Cube desktop, to name but a few of his greatest hits. As they walked through the 1,000-sq-m vegetable garden and apricot grove of Jobs' wife Laurene, Jobs sketched out the Platonic ideal for the new machine. "Each element has to be true to itself," Jobs told Ive. "Why have a flat display if you're going to glom all this stuff on its back? Why stand a computer on its side when it really wants to be horizontal and on the ground? Let each element be what it is, be true to itself." Instead of looking like the old iMac, the thing should look more like the flowers in the garden. Jobs said, "It should look like a sunflower."

but then right after that paragraph is the paragraph quoted below...who knows...maybe there are plans for it to fly away ;)

This might have irritated some people. But Ive synchs with Jobs, readily playing Sullivan to his Gilbert. Ive, the son of a silversmith, likes to talk about industrial design "as product narrative. My view is that surfaces and materials and finishes and product architecture are about telling a bigger story." The story the new iMac wanted to tell, he says, was about a flat display so light, fluid and free that it could almost fly away.

Bandit

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2001
i've figured it out

I know apple's strategy. If this iMac is the center of the digital hub then all of its devices will hook up to it. When the iPod was released everyone wanted to know if there was a remote because it looked like it had a transmitter built in. What if that was this "gigwire" that everyone was talking about? It can connect peripherals wirelessly. You simply walk into your house with your iPod and can connect with your iMac without cables and upload songs. This would also allow for a wireless keyboard and mouse. I have also heard mention of a wireless video system being worked on. Maybe people who have already bought iPods have gigawire already and don't even know it. Just a thought.

B

bpx

This reminds me of the movie Deep Impact where Téa Leoni broke the story on the astroid (comet?) before the government planned on telling the public. The President had to move up the announcement and gave Téa exclusive in exchange for keeping her mouth shut. I wonder if apple moved up the announcement because Time Canada was threatening to release the article. Apple may have even asked them to wait until the night before so it wouldn't ruin the suprise as much.

just my two cents...

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
damn

i checked back on last time before and i couldnt resist, now im all pissed, but it is so different then what i thought it would be, i want one. i was hoping for a HUGE surprise tomarrow. This should change around apple i mean its new n cool like the first imac and if it has g4, it will be powerful, now i wish i hadnt bought my powerbook, but still 1200 in canadian isnt that bad, is it? but still thats not all thats comin, after seeing that i am almost positive about a portable tablet. If you remember, there was an article on this site about the picture of the screen with a pen by it, im sure there is a tablet, i mean there has to be, the pen sponsering, the picture in the borchure of the screen, there has to be something else. There is going to be something amazing. I think new airport, pda, and more. companies will be releasing addons to new mac stuff, and a g5 might not be far off. But the gameroom sign says to me that apple is getting many more games for us! i mean people comment on how few games they have (well people i know who use windows) but this might change that around. i think apple does have more than just this.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Burger,

The LCD is connected to the Base by a Chrome arm. This lets you adjust it. The "wires" presumably go down inside this arm.

arn

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
G

$1200 US??

I think that the article is just an article out of TIME(US) being reprinted in the Canadian edition. And as such the prices are probably US prices. :(

burger011

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bandit

Look at the cover photo....is it me or are there no cables/wires between the two. After reading the article, I got the feeling these (hub and LCD) 2 separate things.

Also, look at the bigger photo, it looks like a poll rather then a hook between the 2....

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

right... everything appears to be US prices

arn

robodweeb

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
maybe Steve arranged this early leak with TimeCanada to give the extreme voices in the Mac rumor community a few hours of sleep before unveiling this uninspiring iMac and giving us the chance to lambast Apple in the media ...

or else the article leaves out all the really good stuff until 10am tomorrow ...

I just hope that this form factor is not the only source of the hype .. .maybe the screen is detachable as an iPad or something ... or I'll be extremely disappointed in Apple ... maybe I should sell my AAPL stock in the morning, before the keynote drops their prices through the floor ...

iapplemac

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2001
I'm guessin they put at least a 733 or 800Mhz G4 in it and the lower end imacs might be 550 and 667( you wound want the lower power G4's they put in the PB G4's. So tey must have really fast Power Mac G4's coming out or G5's also they might put Super drives in the PowerMacs must all have SuperDrives also the current mouse and keyboard would not match this imac so i think we will have new keybord and mouse

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
the HosPod on the french website is just a leather/vinyl cover for the iPod. Still can't see the picture of the iWalk thingy, and what's up with the G5 picture? By the way, how in hell did you find this?

Gus

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
Re: $1200 US??

Originally posted by guest
I think that the article is just an article out of TIME(US) being reprinted in the Canadian edition. And as such the prices are probably US prices. :(

NO. I know we are just a bunch of "Frostbacks", but we dont use USD in our magazine articles. OK?

Its Canadian $.

And the french site is a re-seller who has posted early.

Hey - think about it its actually 5 am in France......

Yes, Virginia, there are other countries and time zones as well as the good old US........

macdop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
that "new iPod" is just an iPod in a black leather case, you can see the stitching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.