Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jdpicco

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020
hi caputo,
first... thanks for moving the thread....
I think, the reason was, to find versions of Sierra and dosdide patch that fits together...
now I have it on a usb stick...

the next massive problem is, the loading bar hangs at the end...the installation progress seams to stop.
did you or anyone know how to solve it? ( the mac is a MacPro 3,1 )
who can help ??

all the best marie

Hi M030, I have the same problem like you with the USB "Could not copu files to your USB drive. Make sure your USB drive is formatted correctly, then try again" could you help me with the way that you do it? do you have the patch that you use, thank you so much.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-17 at 4.22.31 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-17 at 4.22.31 PM (1).jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 474

bbreuk

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2020
I've tried to download the Sierra installer app a bunch of times but I can only get the .dmg file. If I try to run this file on my El Capitan OS, it won't proceed. How do I get the actual .app file so that I can proceed with Dosdude's Sierra patcher...? The App store also won't allow a download per the screen capture below.

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 4.29.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 4.28.19 PM.png

Last edited:

windrider42

Contributor
Aug 19, 2018
Alberta
I've tried to download the Sierra installer app a bunch of times but I can only get the .dmg file. If I try to run this file on my El Capitan OS, it won't proceed. How do I get the actual .app file so that I can proceed with Dosdude's Sierra patcher...? The App store also won't allow a download per the screen capture below.

View attachment 909035

View attachment 909034
Just use dosdude1 patcher to download the file, mount the .dmg and then extract the app to your desktop. Then you can proceed to make a USB installer

Sorry was thinking his Catalina app does that. I think you can use iTunes to download the High Sierra App if I remember correctly

Try this link to download just the app if you want - https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

Last edited:

bbreuk

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2020
Just use dosdude1 patcher to download the file, mount the .dmg and then extract the app to your desktop. Then you can proceed to make a USB installer

Sorry was thinking his Catalina app does that. I think you can use iTunes to download the High Sierra App if I remember correctly

Try this link to download just the app if you want - https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12
Thanks for replying.

As you note, the Sierra patcher app doesn't come with a built-in download of the Sierra installer app. I found a version after some effort but the patcher app won't recognize it...

The App store won't allow a download per my first post.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 11.28.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 11.30.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 11.30.34 AM.png

williamthe5thc

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Just re-run the post-install patch, ensuring "Legacy USB Support Injector" is selected. Select "Force Cache Rebuild" before rebooting.
SOOOOO this is going back a whiles... I'm not 100% sure it's not the flash drive i am using.... so that's my caveat.

I'm having the same issue again and need to run the post install but i can't get my computer to boot off the flash drive... (i've run it in verbose mode (command v) and it's gibberish to me) I've followed the instructions on your website @dosdude1 for the sierra patcher (redownloaded the patcher but still used the copy of sierra on my laptop) and it just hangs at the boot up screen....

I'm not sure why it's hanging and not booting into it; could it be the flash drive isn't journaled or something? Thanks in advance!!!

random information:
the patcher verified the sierra installer
it said it successfully put the patcher on
it listed it as "OS X Base system" on the start up screen (holding alt and seeing the options) let me know if you need more info

edit:
thank you google for redirecting me to the FAQ section... i'd read that page a hundred times i swear and somehow missed the hanging section... (also i still haven't got it cuz i need my model id and terminal keeps hanging...) i was able to reinstall using an older patcher and get to post install don't force any problems...

Last edited:
Reactions: pullman

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
UPDATE:
I wiped the partition and reinstalled. Looks like CCC didn't too good of a job on the clone. So I wiped, reinstalled, used MA during initial startup to move the failing drives setup over and things have been running great ever since. I think CCC is not as ready as they profess. Yesterday I pushed a friend to it that couldn't get the Apple DMG way to work and he had to rerun the current version installer over his install to get it to work.
_________________________________________________________​

I know it's a really long post, but so was this first time experience!!

Have just partially recovered from a nightmare new drive install. I was getting the warning that my main boot drive was failing. The last time I ignored the warning, the drive crashed and it was a "mission critical" drive. I was able to recover it successfully using Disk Drill. Also after letting it sit for months, it kinda worked on its own. So the other day a was finally able to get a 2TB Drive. But one thing I did notice was that is was a 5400RPM and not 7200 like the previous one. I was under the impression that all WD Blues were 7200. Anyway, got it all partitioned and the dying drive cloned to it using CarbonCopyCloner. All seemed good until I installed the drive and it wouldn't boot at all. So I dug and realized that I had formatted the drive as "Master Boot Record" instead of GUID. After repartitioning the drive this time I took advantage of CCC's multiple Task run capability. It ran all night which was longer than doing it as individual Tasks. But when all done it wasn't a good Boot transfer. This latest version is crap. I have been using CCC for years and always got perfect block level transfers. Well it looks like not anymore. It is so fancifide that it's not as drop and dash as it was, although it professes it is. The Data Partitions copied fine, but my Patched OS 10.12.6, did not come over well. I have moved all kinds of things and installs all over for years and never anything like this.

After all was said and done and I fired up my 3,1 and it came up for the most part. Kinda slow, immediately I thought the slower drive. But the transfer was not as intact as I have had in the past. So I let it run for a couple of days and fixed things as I encountered them. Yesterday it took a good portion of the day to get my machine to boot up. But once it did it ran great for a good 12 hours until I turned it off. That was after a days work and hours of finding what was eating up all the space on that partition so that I would get the "Your Disk is Full" message. First time ever. I found it and killed that. But after the day was done I decided to wipe the partition and install fresh and all was fine up until I shutdown.

Today I booted up and the progress bar got half way and the machine rebooted and rebooted and came up. But bootup was the strangest I have ever had. Again slow, but it came up, the desktops on 3 monitors came up and then they went black and the Apple and progress bar came back up, this time White on Black and the bar went from halfway to done really fast and the screens came back. So right there I was instantly cautious and gun-shy. And about 10 minutes later the machine rebooted, rebooted, rebooted and then the Power Light started flashing once a second. No tones. RAM Error. But the Self-Test Passed almost every time before. I got booted from the Patch Installer and ran Disk Util and it found some stuff that is says it fixed. I reran the Patches and upon selecting the "Force Cache Rebuild" I got the message that I "might" have to do something in Terminal when rebooted. I have never seen that message before. So I restarted, it came up and after about 2 minutes the screens went black and it rebooted and I got the Flashing Power Light again.

So I spent the day taking the whole machine apart, cleaned and reseated the RAM and Video Cards, checking the Battery, it was great, better than the new one I had for it. Upon finishing I restarted and it wouldn't boot to Sierra. I immediately tried to boot from the Flash Drive Installer hoping I could rerun the patches and get the "Terminal Message", thinking that was it. After 45 minutes, usually 20 seconds to get the progress bar to 100%, but no further. I force stopped the machine and for the heck of it I thought I would try to boot to the Recovery Drive and it worked, first time ever. I have always selected the Recovery Drive Patch. Once there, no patcher, I was just hoping and not expecting and I ran Disk Util. Again it came up with stuff. I then bit my lip and restarted, and the machine came up and . . . that's where I'm typing from now. So it's been running for a good while so I could write this book.

I have had partitions on the "old drive" with MōJāve and Catalina that ran great. I also have Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mtn Lion, Mavericks all for software I need to use that will only run in those OSs. Once I get this all settled, I will move all that to Parallels. But I have NEVER had this much trouble with any of the dd1 Patches, nor a machine.

So do I need a new 7200RPM Drive; to do the Terminal Message (if I could find out what it was) that I originally came here to look for and couldn't; do something with the install that I have never needed to before; get a newer machine (I have a 5,1 lined up); install again differently? I have become so complacent with using these Patches, making sure to keep everything up to date, that I have tried things I would never have before and all was great. Until now . . . .

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for tolerating my book . . .
. . . fb

Last edited:

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hi I hope someone can help with this.

I was unsuccessful in installing High Sierra on my cMP3,1 and want to try Sierra, but I am not able to run the @dosdude1 patcher tool on the downloaded .dmg because it is greyed out.

I've downloaded from two different locations:

- the linked to at Apple's own page under step 4
- this link found at Macworld.

Both result in a filed called installOS.dmg which the patcher greys out.

The Macworld article also links to the App Store, which does open, but when I click "Get" there's an error: "Update not found. The requested version of macOS is not available".

Is this really the end of the road or are there other ways to get an installer that the patcher tool recognises?

Thanks in advance
Philip
[automerge]1593448768[/automerge]
So I managed to patch the Sierra installer finally, but booting into the patched Sierra installer off the USB is exceptionally slow. It takes close to half an hour for the progress bar to fill up and then it just sits there. I have also tried with a 2,5" hdd in a USB enclosure with the same result.

I am wondering if I might have better luck with another build number of Sierra. But how do I find out the build number?

Last edited:

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hi I hope someone can help with this.

I was unsuccessful in installing High Sierra on my cMP3,1 and want to try Sierra, but I am not able to run the @dosdude1 patcher tool on the downloaded .dmg because it is greyed out.

I've downloaded from two different locations:

- the linked to at Apple's own page under step 4
- this link found at Macworld.

Both result in a filed called installOS.dmg which the patcher greys out.

The Macworld article also links to the App Store, which does open, but when I click "Get" there's an error: "Update not found. The requested version of macOS is not available".

Is this really the end of the road or are there other ways to get an installer that the patcher tool recognises?

Thanks in advance
Philip
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 9.39.05 AM.png

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited:

Simon Miranda

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2020
NightEnabler
This little applet uses PikerAlpha's proof of concept to enable Night Shift on older systems (pre-2012 Macs).
ow31qJZ.png

https://swdist.furcode.co/bin/NightEnabler.zip

Note: To remove the patch, simply run NightEnabler again, and select "Remove Patch".
Backups are kept in ~/Library/Application Support/NightEnabler

Hello, I need help, I use this to enable night shift on my mac (late 2011, 13 inch) and now I do not work the keyboard or trackpad, I can't log in to my mac user (when the mac is turning on before enter in my user, the mac asks me for my user's password, in this moment my keyboard and trackpad works, then the apple logo appears and loads the system, after loading asks me for my password to log in to my user, in this moment the keyboard and trackpad don't work and I can't log in to my mac user)

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hello, I need help, I use this to enable night shift on my mac (late 2011, 13 inch) and now I do not work the keyboard or trackpad, I can't log in to my mac user (when the mac is turning on before enter in my user, the mac asks me for my user's password, in this moment my keyboard and trackpad works, then the apple logo appears and loads the system, after loading asks me for my password to log in to my user, in this moment the keyboard and trackpad don't work and I can't log in to my mac user)
maybe try this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262 then try and disable Night enabler

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
which MacBook model do you have as 2011 should support Sierra as well as High Sierra with out any patches maybe a reinstall of Sierra might disable the Night shift enabler

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Similar to the post above...where can I find 10.12.6? Or at least 10.12?
As has been mentioned above Apple only keeps the latest / last versions of their OS's available
for download.
So for Sierra that would be 10.12.6. this can be downloaded from this link,

In a moment of ever increasing stupidity Apple decided a better way than downloading the install app
directly to the Applications folder would be to have InstallOS.dmg download to your Downloads folder.
You then open this to InstallOS.pkg, here is the even more stupid part the next bit can only be
done on a mac that is capable of running macOS Sierra, any mac that came pre-installed with a later OS
will refuse to to do this.

Open InstallOS.pkg and an installation window will open, this does not install macOS Sierra but creates
Install macOS Sierra.app in the Application folder, which you can then use to create the bootable USB with
Dosdudes patcher. So you need to borrow a mac that can run Sierra, a mac that is capable of running Sierra
includes macs that have been upgraded to newer OS's. This does not include macs that have been hacked to
run Sierra or other. Has to be an officially supported mac.

Reactions: TimothyR734

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
As has been mentioned above Apple only keeps the latest / last versions of their OS's available
for download.
So for Sierra that would be 10.12.6. this can be downloaded from this link,

In a moment of ever increasing stupidity Apple decided a better way than downloading the install app
directly to the Applications folder would be to have InstallOS.dmg download to your Downloads folder.
You then open this to InstallOS.pkg, here is the even more stupid part the next bit can only be
done on a mac that is capable of running macOS Sierra, any mac that came pre-installed with a later OS
will refuse to to do this.

Open InstallOS.pkg and an installation window will open, this does not install macOS Sierra but creates
Install macOS Sierra.app in the Application folder, which you can then use to create the bootable USB with
Dosdudes patcher. So you need to borrow a mac that can run Sierra, a mac that is capable of running Sierra
includes macs that have been upgraded to newer OS's. This does not include macs that have been hacked to
run Sierra or other. Has to be an officially supported mac.
Thanks!

mistermacs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
hi all,

i've read through a few pages of this thread, but was hoping you wouldn't mind clarifying something for me. i've upgraded my iMac 2008 early 20" to sierra using dosdude's amazing patch, and of course, lost wifi

i've been trying to locate the correct wifi card online; either Atheros AR5BXB112 or BCM4322, but i keep finding ones for half minis. i'm not particularly techy...is that for laptop? most of these are overseas purchases with high international shipping so i don't want to accidentally purchase something i can't use.

are there alternative cards i could also use that you'd recommend?

thanks in advance, guys

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
MacBook 5,2 installed 10.12.6 - thanks!

The brightness does not work? Is that normal any suggestions?

I have used Brightness Slider in the past but now use Monitor Control:

See this thread:

Available here:

Lou

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
hi all,

i've read through a few pages of this thread, but was hoping you wouldn't mind clarifying something for me. i've upgraded my iMac 2008 early 20" to sierra using dosdude's amazing patch, and of course, lost wifi

i've been trying to locate the correct wifi card online; either Atheros AR5BXB112 or BCM4322, but i keep finding ones for half minis. i'm not particularly techy...is that for laptop? most of these are overseas purchases with high international shipping so i don't want to accidentally purchase something i can't use.

are there alternative cards i could also use that you'd recommend?

thanks in advance, guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.