Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I have used Brightness Slider in the past but now use Monitor Control:

See this thread:

Available here:

Lou

Does it work with the internal display?

Reactions: TimothyR734

mistermacs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I noticed I didn't get any security updates lately. Sierra is only 3 years old, shouldn't OS be supported at least 5 year?

Microsoft supports Windows up to 10 years!
hi all,

i've read through a few pages of this thread, but was hoping you wouldn't mind clarifying something for me. i've upgraded my iMac 2008 early 20" to sierra using dosdude's amazing patch, and of course, lost wifi

i've been trying to locate the correct wifi card online; either Atheros AR5BXB112 or BCM4322, but i keep finding ones for half minis. i'm not particularly techy...is that for laptop? most of these are overseas purchases with high international shipping so i don't want to accidentally purchase something i can't use.

are there alternative cards i could also use that you'd recommend?

thanks in advance, guys
Since it’s an iMac I would just buy a WiFi repeater or router, connect it to my network and then to the iMac via Ethernet. Much easier and probably cheaper too.

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
hi all,

i've read through a few pages of this thread, but was hoping you wouldn't mind clarifying something for me. i've upgraded my iMac 2008 early 20" to sierra using dosdude's amazing patch, and of course, lost wifi

i've been trying to locate the correct wifi card online; either Atheros AR5BXB112 or BCM4322, but i keep finding ones for half minis. i'm not particularly techy...is that for laptop? most of these are overseas purchases with high international shipping so i don't want to accidentally purchase something i can't use.

thanks in advance, guys

If possible just run an ethernet cable from your router to your iMac and save the cost & hassle of changing out the wi-fi card. Better network performance and you'll save money too.

I installed a compatible wi-fi card in my MacPro (running Mojave) but I connect via ethernet and my speed tests are excellent. Why use wi-fi on desktop machines if you don't have to?

I realize it depends on the logistics of your dwelling (I live in a 2 bedroom condo so it was easy) but wired ethernet is far superior to wi-fi if you can arrange it.

mistermacs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
@howiest and @jackoverfull thanks for the suggestions. i wasn't too worried about the installation, but the price and shipping made me a little hesitant

i did run my imac to ethernet plugged into my laptop (running off wifi) to test it and the wifi was patchy (australian broadband and wifi is not exactly world standard) but worked more or less. my 5g modem is on the other side of the house so i can't run directly from that, but a wifi repeater would be a great solution.

thanks again!

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
hi all,

thanks in advance, guys

You can use powerline, (router->ethernet-> electricity) then where you imac is (electricity->ethernet->imac). Go amazon.com and search for Powerline.
You can also use something like this which basically takes a wireless signal and convert it to ethernet signal. Note I did not use so I can't recommend it and I am not sure if it will work with your mac.

mistermacs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
i didn't even know powerlines were a thing. the things i'm learning here. i'm ging to test out the circuits in the apartment to make sure the powerpoints in the different rooms are on the same leg. but that's a great suggestion

dimka4996

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2020
Hi! Tried run patcher on el capitan and have issues with two installers of sierra, I've downloaded 10.12.4 and 10.12.6 and both gives me in log errors "no such file or directory" on stage "coping and patching files", what I've done wrong? Help please

I've tried to change USB drives, make this on partition on internal hdd.

P.s. sorry for mistakes, I'm from Ukraine and English is not my native language

Alex5580

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
I tried running the installer I keep getting this

Attachments

• 3383D7FF-72AD-49E1-885E-40DC2523B1A8.jpeg
    3383D7FF-72AD-49E1-885E-40DC2523B1A8.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Sad
Reactions: poiihy

mac_early2008_8.1_2210

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2021
When you get the message: Sierra can not be installed
from the usb run terminal with original date of release macos sierra:
Open terminal from usb and add CORRECT DATE:

Bash:
date -u 0921000016

release dates: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Sierra#Release_history>

first release date:

10.12 16A323 September 20, 2016

then restart, check date again in terminal if it still the older date you entered, now installer is working.

Format for date:
Code:
MMDDHHMMYYYY

[OS X 10.11 El Capitan]
# date -u 1001000015

[macOS 10.12 Sierra]
# date -u 0921000016

[macOS 10.13 High Sierra]
# date -u 0925000017

[macOS 10.14 Mojave]
# date -u 0925000018

GustyWinds

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
As has been mentioned above Apple only keeps the latest / last versions of their OS's available
for download.
So for Sierra that would be 10.12.6. this can be downloaded from this link,

In a moment of ever increasing stupidity Apple decided a better way than downloading the install app
directly to the Applications folder would be to have InstallOS.dmg download to your Downloads folder.
You then open this to InstallOS.pkg, here is the even more stupid part the next bit can only be
done on a mac that is capable of running macOS Sierra, any mac that came pre-installed with a later OS
will refuse to to do this.

Open InstallOS.pkg and an installation window will open, this does not install macOS Sierra but creates
Install macOS Sierra.app in the Application folder, which you can then use to create the bootable USB with
Dosdudes patcher. So you need to borrow a mac that can run Sierra, a mac that is capable of running Sierra
includes macs that have been upgraded to newer OS's. This does not include macs that have been hacked to
run Sierra or other. Has to be an officially supported mac.
Has anyone figured this out yet? I'm stuck at not being able to do anything with the InstallOS.pkg file. Are there workarounds that don't involve using a separate compatible mac to create the app file? I'm working with an iMac9,1

guilhrmew

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2021
Hi, in order to make the bootable usb flash drive from a macbook late 2008 (5,1), does anyone know if it's mandatory for me to have and copy of Sierra Developer Preview? Or it could be done with a DMG from official Sierra release?
I tried to do this with 2 Sierra Developer Preview copies, one that I got from Piratebay and other from another website... Both of them returned "This is not a valid copy of Sierra..."
not-valid.jpg

If anybody could help me with that, I'd be very much appreciated.
Thanks!

guilhrmew

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2021
You don’t need any DP, you can do everything with official releases.
oh, thought I'd need DP... But when I download Sierra DMG from Apple, I canno't install the "InstallOS.pkg" on El Capitan, so I can't really use the DosDude Sierra patch with this DMG file, right? What should I do in this case?

jowaju

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2019
Has anyone figured this out yet? I'm stuck at not being able to do anything with the InstallOS.pkg file. Are there workarounds that don't involve using a separate compatible mac to create the app file? I'm working with an iMac9,1
Have you tried extracting the file you need with Pacifist? It's free and doesn't care what model you are using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.