Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
I just got my shiny new 5k iMac and was about to buy this game after hearing good things about it! Thanks for the hook up guys!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
we are running perilously close to running out of codes (already!). So get it while you can.

We'll try to get more, but that went much quicker than expected.

arn

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

shaytmg

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
Ahhh, missed them by a few minutes. Damn work got in the way. :)

Will keep my eyes on this for the new batch.

Thanks so much guys.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013

Most of our giveaways have focused on hardware products, but this week, we've partnered with Aspyr to set up a special one-of-a-kind giveaway. We've teamed up to offer our MacRumors readers a free copy of the ultra popular game Civilization V: Campaign Edition, which normally retails for $29.

We've created a dedicated page for the giveaway. Head over there to get a promotion code for Civilization V: Campaign Edition that can then be redeemed within the Mac App Store. The promotion is open to readers worldwide.

For those of you unfamiliar with Civilization V, it's a turn-based strategy game that lets players lead a civilization to world domination through time, waging wars, discovering technologies, trading with friendly nations, and interacting with some of the world's most powerful historical leaders. Civilization V: Campaign Edition includes the base game, the Babylon Civilization Pack with Nebuchadnezzar II, plus the Mongols Civilization and Scenario Pack.

We're providing each of our readers with one promo code apiece, and codes will be available through July 31 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time or until all codes have been claimed. Codes will expire on August 4, so make sure to enter your promo code in the Mac App Store before then. Visit the giveaway page.

Update 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time: We've just exhausted our supply of Civilization V promo codes. We're working on getting more codes to give away and we'll let our readers know when we're able to distribute more, so stay tuned.

Article Link: MacRumors and Aspyr Giveaway: Get a Free Copy of 'Civilization V: Campaign Edition' for Mac
Thank you, Sir!

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
we are running perilously close to running out of codes (already!). So get it while you can.

arn

What's happening? I got my code when I was at work but when I went to use it later at home it said the code was already redeemed. ???

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Thanks. I initially did not read the instructions and actually purchased the App. Realizing my error I went back and used the code properly. Apple did charge me for the initial purchase but immediately issued a refund when I reported my error. So, thanks MR for the gamer and thanks Apple for the good customer service.

Reactions: Candlelight

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Thanks MR for the great giveaway!

I'm new to Civ 5 and I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to skip the start screen, the one where you can view in-app purchase options and see news from aspyr etc... this screen:

xSvmwSwK8Ms0bxIiH022vzafsTTedjP4oeHWTK1BvJI=w1392-h854-no

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Seems so, requirements:
  • Operating System: 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), 10.9.5 (Mavericks), 10.10.3 (Yosemite)
  • CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
  • CPU Speed: 2.2 GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB
  • Hard Disk Space: 8 GB
  • Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 2600
  • Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 8800
  • Video Card (Intel): HD 4000
  • Video Memory (VRam): 256 MB
  • Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard

arn, thank you for this information.

Isn't the Iris 5100 much slower, than these dedicated cards (like Geforce 8800)?

Because if I try to look at these numbers it seems, there is a big difference:
http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...-graphics-5100-desktop-vs-geforce-8800-gt-1gb

And this is the desktop version of Intel HD 5100! The Mac mini has a notebook version.

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004

arn
Missed out on this one, hope you manage to get more.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Thanks. I mean, a Steam key would have been more useful, but thanks anyway.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I managed to get in on this promotion too, and yes -- it's a fantastic title to give away for free!

In my case though, I already purchased Civ 5 via Steam, when they ran a sale on it shortly after the product launched. The good thing about this App Store version is it includes several of the expansion sets that Steam wanted to charge me $15 or more each to add on to my base game.

The odd thing, though? I'm told you can't play this App Store edition of Civ 5 multiplayer against others over the Internet -- only on a local LAN. The Steam version didn't have that limitation.

Reactions: butcherbird
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.