Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many days before Apple refreshes Macs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Borderdash, it's just like buying a new car. As soon as you drive the new car out of the dealership, next year's model specs come out with some more bells and whistles. If you really have need for a new computer now, I personally don't see holding off 5-6 months for the new models.

dj23andMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Seattle, WA
V. Hard to self buy at full retail when Skylake 6th generation processors are shipping and Macs have 5th generation (the 15 inch MPB has 4th generation Intel CPU).

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
V. Hard to self buy at full retail when Skylake 6th generation processors are shipping and Macs have 5th generation (the 15 inch MPB has 4th generation Intel CPU).
This is not looking good for Apple. Many other manufacturers have Skylake available.

dj23andMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Seattle, WA
This is not looking good for Apple. Many other manufacturers have Skylake available.

Maybe Intel still can't produce Skylake at volume, Fry's Electronics mobo guys say Skylake supply is very stop and go. Maybe Apple is reworking the complete line up. Kill MBA, replace with new Macbook line up thin with ports. Remake the MBP and iMac with Macbook like mobos (must be far cheaper to mfg same mobo's in volume). Remake the Mac lineup from cylinder to more upgradeable (rpts folks sticking with prior big boxes for heavy duty Macs).

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
If there is no redesign the MacBooks will be silently updated with skylake so don't write them off yet as this happens often.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Doom and gloom. It is certain that Apple will fail due to not implementing Skylake chips in its computers yet. All Apple retail units will go bankrupt, the new circular office space will be repossessed by loan sharks, data centres will be sold off to the highest bidder and solar generators will be resold to generate profit to see off the bailiffs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Implies Mac line up refresh not till September / October 2016?
That's there typical refresh cycle, so that makes sense. I think the few who were hoping to hear from Apple on the iMac on the media event were not really being feasible with their expectations.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
That's there typical refresh cycle, so that makes sense. I think the few who were hoping to hear from Apple on the iMac on the media event were not really being feasible with their expectations.

As usual people believing something will happen because they want it to happen despite all evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: maflynn

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
According to today's "Let Us Loop You In Event" no more major product announcements until Apple employees move into the futuristic Apple Campus II facility. Implies Mac line up refresh not till September / October 2016?

Don't they use a different theater or venue for the WWDC? That one looked a bit smaller than the WWDC one. If it is a different theater/venue, I would think there would be a hardware refresh mid-year. I believe the wording was that there would be "no more major product announcements in this venue/theater". Not to mention, there's an iPhone 7 to get released this year.

I thought he said the new theater would be next year.

Reactions: Beachguy

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
T
5 Don't Buys
1 Caution
1 Neutral

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#Mac

According to today's "Let Us Loop You In Event" no more major product announcements until Apple employees move into the futuristic Apple Campus II facility. Implies Mac line up refresh not till September / October 2016?
That isn't what Tim said. He said there would (probably) be no more introductions in the town hall. WWDC is in a different building, not the town hall. Still leaves them open for new introductions at wwdc - no idea if they will (but I am in the market for a new rmbp, so I hope so).

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
T

That isn't what Tim said. He said there would (probably) be no more introductions in the town hall. WWDC is in a different building, not the town hall. Still leaves them open for new introductions at wwdc - no idea if they will (but I am in the market for a new rmbp, so I hope so).

Exactly this, it's most likely the last announcement from the town hall on the Infinite Loop campus since they're building a much larger auditorium at the new campus. Remember that watches, TV, iPhones, iPads and Macs have all been announced at events outside of the town hall.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
5 Don't Buys
1 Caution
1 Neutral

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#Mac

I believe your conclusion to be somewhat pessimistic. The last I heard about the new campus was an "early in the new year" timeframe. However while WWDC (highly focussed on software and developers, hence the name) is usually at Moscone, other venues could be (and have been) used for various other product announcements.

From all sources it seems quite likely the entire laptop lineup will be refreshed sooner rather than later, perhaps at WWDC? Appropriate Skylake chips for all of them have been available for some time. iMacs and the MacMini could also receive processor upgrades before October, while I'm less certain of a MP upgrade within the next six months. Then there is of course that rumor of re-designed MBAs.

What I'm most curious about is whether Apple will incorporate USB-C connectivity with those upgrades or if those ports will be included once the respective major re-designs come out.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US

This is right on the money.

Doom and gloom. It is certain that Apple will fail due to not implementing Skylake chips in its computers yet. All Apple retail units will go bankrupt, the new circular office space will be repossessed by loan sharks, data centres will be sold off to the highest bidder and solar generators will be resold to generate profit to see off the bailiffs.

You are not getting it.

By being on the trailing edge, by CONSTANTLY being on the trailing edge, Apple is only hurting itself. Hurting itself much more than you know.

Apple's laptops are OLD. They are no longer for enthusiasts. They are no longer for people who do work. Windows machines use the same chips that Apple uses, so why is Apple always so far behind? I am now looking for a new laptop. Not Apple. If Apple can't address the needs of the enthusiast, then why should the enthusiast wait for Apple to get with the times?

My frustration with Siri grows day by day, so when my iPhone 6 Plus ages out, I will entertain other options. If other options allow fingerprint access and secure payment methods, then I just might jump.

Apple. is. losing. the. enthusiast.
Apple. is. losing. me.

Apple is entirely in the driver's seat here. They have the ability to bring the enthusiast back into the family, just as they have the power to push us away.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
As usual people believing something will happen because they want it to happen despite all evidence to the contrary.

That and not really sure about the view of the greatness of skylake some have. Seen the benchmarks. Haswell runs pretty good against it imo when it loses. Nothing really blow out of the water to my eyes. Source and benchmark depending, it runs the same actually in quite a few areas.

Power granted not an issue for me. Either I have house power. Or I don't. I run out of juice...oh well. Long flights like say from Japan to the US i just make sure I get seat power if that much an issue.

TBH if apple at WWDC says nothing about this but says okay...amd was a brain fart and we are switching to nvidia I'd be happier. INB4 gamer comments and we all don't game discussions start. even though I will grant yes I like nvidia better for gaming I am looking more at is getting CUDA in some way if possible in the mix. Which shows some nice gains for applications that support it.

Not holding my breath for this one. They chose this with CUDA live and in the wild already...for some reason.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
That and not really sure about the view of the greatness of skylake some have. Seen the benchmarks. Haswell runs pretty good against it imo when it loses. Nothing really blow out of the water to my eyes. Source and benchmark depending, it runs the same actually in quite a few areas.

Power granted not an issue for me. Either I have house power. Or I don't. I run out of juice...oh well. Long flights like say from Japan to the US i just make sure I get seat power if that much an issue.

TBH if apple at WWDC says nothing about this but says okay...amd was a brain fart and we are switching to nvidia I'd be happier. INB4 gamer comments and we all don't game discussions start. even though I will grant yes I like nvidia better for gaming I am looking more at is getting CUDA in some way if possible in the mix. Which shows some nice gains for applications that support it.

Not holding my breath for this one. They chose this with CUDA live and in the wild already...for some reason.

I don't think Apple like CUDA, and for good reason if it becomes ubiquitous then NVIDIA have no competition. Professional apps without CUDA often run better on AMD, and this is the main reason I think Apple went with them and supporting NVIDIA's only competition keeps their options open in the future.

Apple aren't currently over interested in gaming but I think VR will change that and AMD are going to have to raise their game here. With enough market share and better graphics forcing NVIDIA away from CUDA, it would be better for the industry as a whole.

With both AMD and NVIDIA bringing out chips based on a 14nm process this year I think the gap between the 2 will close, to be honest by the end of 2016 I think that NVIDIA will have lost an advantage they have failed to fully capitalise on over the last few years.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident

Skylake iMacs shipping in October of last year. I have 64 GB on my iMac that would be impossible on 5th Generation processor.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
... Professional apps without CUDA often run better on AMD, and this is the main reason I think Apple went with them and supporting NVIDIA's only competition keeps their options open in the future....

Except for all the people who require (or at least desire) CUDA for their work. AMD has nothing on Nvidia in the area of graphic rendering. Sure, give the customer a choice between AMD and Nvidia, I would like that. But I can't even buy a Macbook Pro with an Nvidia GPU, which makes all MBPs just plain "no go" to me.

There once was a day when Mac was supposed to be the go-to for artistic endeavors. No longer. Put plain and simple, Apple is not competing anymore. People should stop making excuses for Apple ignoring the enthusiast market.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Except for all the people who require (or at least desire) CUDA for their work. AMD has nothing on Nvidia in the area of graphic rendering. Sure, give the customer a choice between AMD and Nvidia, I would like that. But I can't even buy a Macbook Pro with an Nvidia GPU, which makes all MBPs just plain "no go" to me.

There once was a day when Mac was supposed to be the go-to for artistic endeavors. No longer. Put plain and simple, Apple is not competing anymore. People should stop making excuses for Apple ignoring the enthusiast market.

This really. I know some have the doom and gloom because of skylake. Bigger issue, imo, that will be doom and gloom is software. Apple made it this way when they went intel based. Hardware the same...so now its software the fighting ground. A fight not looking good for apple.

No CUDA, the start of this rant lol.

Aperture dead. Prior to death 1 got 1 patch/update a year. Forced many to go to non apple exclusive post processing for pics. Stuff that runs on windows as well.

FCP...still alive but....is getting the 1 patch a year treatment as well. History repeating? Part of me is fearing yes. Only sign of life was when apple said, over the corpse of the aperture they just executed with a .45 hollow point to the head warm blood still flowing from the gaping wound to blanket the stage, was don't worry FCP will live on. Not comforting this promise. And was made years ago. That promise may not be valid at some point.

They are relying on 3rd party who tend to make a windows version then ports to mac os. Its not like my workflows change and I have to stay loyal to apple by and large these days to avoid the pain of redoing workflows. My applications look and work the same on a windows box. Not many mac os designed apps these days. By that I mean from day 1, line 1....pure apple code. Obj C/cocao/swift...a true Mac application to me. Something to call our very own. Not make it in python/java/etc or use some x-platform framework stuff.

This is how linux and even windows makes some money. You want the apps you must come to us......Apple is lacking this more and more as the years go on. The more apathetic they get about apple in the pro software realm the more people like me will go windows isn't all that bad if it gets me more bells and whistles.

Not posting the I will take my ball and go home line just yet. Apple has 2 years really when my personal basis for the 2015 MBP buy ROI is met. TBH...I have low standards kind of. Do something with the pro apps line. They made swift...now make a pro level app that has swift make all other languages and apps written in them out there look like utter ass in comparison. FCP a starting point. Its 1 of 2 pro apps left. And is still well regarded in the professional video realms. I'd like a resurrection of aperture...but not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.