Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Willy S said:
I hope Apple´s board will fire this man and hire a CEO that pays some respect to the company´s customers! :mad:
Well at least Jobs doesn't punch kittens in his spare time like Micheal Dell.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
dr_lha said:
Well at least Jobs doesn't punch kittens in his spare time like Micheal Dell.

I bet he's going to punch a sh**load tonight when he gets home from the office! Like $100million worth.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
dr_lha said:
Well at least Jobs doesn't punch kittens in his spare time like Michael Dell.
He needs to tenderize them before they're eaten. I mean, seriously, wouldn't you? Just the smart thing to do...

Note: I am being sarcastic.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
WildCowboy said:
*WildCowboy looks around his research lab, seeing Macs outnumbering PCs 15:1...*

Yep..."people who posess relatively little intellectual capabilities"...that's definitely us. :rolleyes:
Yup, that sure rezinates.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jsw said:
I should put it in mine. I've gotten into trouble before.

True, I'm nothing compared to you. At least nobody suspects me, along with a as the yet-to-be-determined computer baby daddy. Sheesh. If I were [url=https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/197814/]Rush Limbaugh, I'd say that you should be given a harsh prison sentence for what you do. Or maybe, I'd just take the first opportunity to air my views on you to the local newsmedia.

While secretly doing the same thing behind your back, natch. You have no idea how many computer baby daddies I am!

XNine

macrumors 68040
Dear Willy,
I hope you don't think the bitchin' new MBP's aren't bitchin' cos, really, they're pretty bitchin.' I think your post was you just bitchin.'

AHA! did you get the difference there? No? yeah, didn't think you would. Where's my cattleprod?

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
yellow said:
The "bitchin'" sufer/skater/Californian colloquiallism means (in American English): cool
It sounds like another example of culture shock...

I can remember when Jaguar was released that there was all sorts of things written about how Jobs was pronouncing it. I, being from California, hadn't noticed.

Willy S said:
I just watched the TV commercial "I´m a Mac and I´m a PC" and combined with Jobs´s "bitchin" comment, I´m really thinking that Mac is mostly aimed at people who posess relatively little intellectual capabilities.
I haven't seen this TV commercial (I don't watch TV) but if you are making the assertion that Americans (or Californians) possess relatively little intellectual capabilities then I take great offense at your comments.

I know, for example, that my university (University of California) alone has more Nobel laureates than most European countries. And yet I don't feel the need to pose a sweeping statement about the relative intellectual capabilities of your home.

If you want to stop using Macs, that is your problem. But when you start to attack the intellectual levels of either Mac users, Americans or Californians in posts, then you've stepped into the realm of being offensive.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
RacerX said:
I know, for example, that my university (University of California) alone has more Nobel laureates than most European countries.
They were all bought (yes bought, not brought) in after they did their Nobel Prizing winning work though eh? Or was that just at UCSB? ;)

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
RacerX said:
I know, for example, that my university (University of California) alone has more Nobel laureates than most European countries.
Aren't they all originally from Europe or India though?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
RacerX said:
I know, for example, that my university (University of California) alone has more Nobel laureates than most European countries. And yet I don't feel the need to pose a sweeping statement about the relative intellectual capabilities of your home.

The state of California has more people than most European countries...

Willy S said:
I just watched the TV commercial "I´m a Mac and I´m a PC" and combined with Jobs´s "bitchin" comment, I´m really thinking that Mac is mostly aimed at people who posess relatively little intellectual capabilities.

Maybe this is just a part of an American culture, which doesn´t appeal to Europeans like me?

I´m now in the market for a nice portable computer for my wife, who is a very intellectual person and will be awarded with a PhD degree in 2 months. I wanted to get a Mac for her, since PCs don´t support Tiger properly and legally, but I just cannot tolerate that the CEO of Apple is pratically saying that Apple customers, who pay their hard earned cash for high priced, underclocked Macs, are *bitchin.*

I hope Apple´s board will fire this man and hire a CEO that pays some respect to the company´s customers! :mad:

Others have covered the confusion of the idiom, " bitchin' " but the poster's frustration with the comany seems more deep-seeded than an misinterpreted comment.

To address the disconnect in the poster's interpretation of the commercials.
1. They are subtle and thus confusing.
2. They are very "american" which probably adds to #1.
3. The intended concept is that well dressed junk is still junk.
4. There is a lot in there about the psychological perception of "suits" vs. "regular people"

I concede that the ads come off as arrogant, but not cocky. (arrogant = I think I'm great) (cocky = I think you're crap, therefore I am amazing.) Apple makes solid products & has every right to make ads putting forth a confident image.

As for whether or not to purchase an Mac for his wife, I don't see the distaste for the ads as a good reason to purchase an inferior product. -- I don't include the Jobs comment b/c that is an understandable interpretive error. --

Hopefully, he will purchase the Mac, I think they'd both be happy with the product & the company.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Boggle said:
OTo address the disconnect in the poster's interpretation of the commercials.
1. They are subtle and thus confusing.
2. They are very "american" which probably adds to #1.
3. The intended concept is that well dressed junk is still junk.
4. There is a lot in there about the psychological perception of "suits" vs. "regular people"

I concede that the ads come off as arrogant, but not cocky. (arrogant = I think I'm great) (cocky = I think you're crap, therefore I am amazing.) Apple makes solid products & has every right to make ads putting forth a confident image.

A fair assessment if there ever was one. Though I didn't necessarily interpret them as arrogant, I can see how it can be construed that way. Perhaps as an American I've learned to take all adverts with a very large grain of salt?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Willy S said:
But the ads are aimed at people who don't already have Macs, right? So wouldn't the assumption be that PC users "posess [sic] relatively little intellectual capabilities"?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
emw said:
But the ads are aimed at people who don't already have Macs, right? So wouldn't the assumption be that PC users "posess [sic] relatively little intellectual capabilities"?

Oh, snap! Good one, emw.

enpojken

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
UK
Willy S said:

Maybe this is just a part of an American culture, which doesn´t appeal to Europeans like me?

I´m now in the market for a nice portable computer for my wife, who is a very intellectual person and will be awarded with a PhD degree in 2 months. I wanted to get a Mac for her, since PCs don´t support Tiger properly and legally, but I just cannot tolerate that the CEO of Apple is pratically saying that Apple customers, who pay their hard earned cash for high priced, underclocked Macs, are *bitchin.*

I'm a European too. Can you be specific as to which part of the American culture doesn't appeal to you? Are you saying it is their "little intellectual capabilities"?

I can see you've proved you are *very* "intellectual" from your post and because your wife will get her PhD in 2 months, but are you suggesting that American culture is devoid of intellectual capabilities because the CEO of Apple used contemporary slang during an annual shareholder meeting?

What exactly has offended or disrespected you about Apple's adverts, maybe you could be more specific about that as well?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
emw said:
Oh please.

Windows users are too bright to waste their time watching TV. The ads are only seen by the unwashed Mac-loving masses.

Note: Again, sarcastic...

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
:D AHAHA, I thought Mac users were the smart group. Just goes to show, a pc/Mac doesn't say **** about the person using it.
BurtonCCC said:
If people who buy Windows-based PCs are so smart, why would they buy a machine that they know is going to be so ridden with viruses and spyware in a matter of months that its performance will drop until in a few years, it will simply be non-functional? At least that's what I see in every single I've ever experienced... and I was freaking careful with my PCs back when I wasn't a smart consumer.

Now, I could be wrong, I admit that, but I see so many people still using G3 iMacs, clamshell Apple notebooks, and old black PowerBooks. That tells you something about how long Macs last.

So I think the smartest citizens are buying Macs, not PCs. You don't see the "white trash" people in sleeveless Metallica shirts (nothing wrong with Metallica, but you know the people I'm talking about) and homemade cut-off jeans and barbed wire tattoos walking around Apple Stores. I don't know about your Apple Store, but that only people I've seen in the three stores that are around where I live are well-dressed, articulate, obviously successful, and educated people.

Heck, that's probably the main reason I got into Macs in the first place. Me and my friends would always go hang out at our local Apple Store and play with the computers and the old iPods. I remember loving it and I still love it today because I can go into that store and feel like I'm surrounded by a group of darn smart people.

Daniel.

ih8pc

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
jsw said:
I couldn't agree more. Every time I see an ad from Dell or Microsoft, I find myself drawn to their siren call of sheer intellectual ecstasy. They've clearly figured out how to market their goods only to the best and brightest - I don't think you'd find Windows PCs in the home of any but the smartest of citizens.
You do know those smart citizens you're talking about are windows IT workers.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.