Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I am confused...are you saying the iMacs are not good computers? I guess everyone can have an opinion, altho that one is terribly misguided.
Yup, it's my opinion. Are you saying that latest iMac is the best with that given option?

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Macs are more expensive. However, they last longer than anything on the market.

People still don't understand me when I tell them a computer is supposed to last more than 2 years and can't comprehend how I get by with a 7+ year old comp (bought used 3 years ago) even though my 7+ year old comp runs circle around their brand new PCs in every performance benchmark.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I guess if you can't sell enough low budget iwack (latest iMac) and wackPros, I guess IBM would buy it.

Who says they're not selling? By all accounts the Mac line is doing just fine overall. My next desktop will be and iMac to replace my current 2010 iMac.
I retired 15 months ago and no longer have to use a Windows product and I am much happier for it. Not only did I dislike the Windows but the hardware provided (laptop or desktop) by my employer was pure crap.
Apple continues to get a halo effect from it's mobile devices, some of which carries over to people's personal choice of a desktop or a laptop.
Apple sells plenty of iMac's so I wouldn't lament their ability "sell enough low budget iwack", whatever the puck that means.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
There really isn't such a thing is "killing jobs". If someone loses a job, normally they go to work somewhere else, unless they just go on welfare and have taxpayers take care of them... I suppose that's becoming more and more common these days.

yea I know. was taking a jab at liberal/Keynesian logic.

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
For those of you commenting on your experience supporting Windows, can you add which versions of Windows you were supporting? I'd like to know if the effort to support Windows is getting better, worse, or not changing much.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
what exactly is easier to do on a mac than a pc? i've tried both and macs simply have less customization than pcs..?
From an IT perspective that meas there's less for the user to screw up.

For the 20 years I was doing IT I always said "I get paid to fix Windows issues at work. I have Macs at home so I don't have to do the same thing on my day off."

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
what exactly is easier to do on a mac than a pc? i've tried both and macs simply have less customization than pcs..?

They're using JAMF Casper Suite for their macs.

You can take a Mac, even a home use mac, double click the installer, and it makes all of the changes and apps are easily installed right from a simple iTunes-like interface. I'm sure something similar *could* be done with PCs, but all you have to do is look at how much easier it is to install Microsoft Office on the Mac (basically copy one folder from one machine to another) compared to how Office gets installed on Windows to see how much easier it is.

This isn't really as much about simply using a Mac vs a PC that's already fully set up and configured.

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
In related news: Apple hustling IBM and everyone else charging higher up front costs for hard drives from 1999...

Reactions: Johnny Vegas

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010

This is an enterprise deployment not each person just being given the laptop

With PCs they have been using home grown scripts of various languages and systems. The Mac deployment is much more streamlined using Apple tools. It's also a good test for Apple because it gives them a very good tester they have good relations with

The current Mac deployment gives a one click install for VPN, wifi , certificate etc etc install vs a horrible PC system they use

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I don't see how the ability to customize more things on a PC makes it easier to use than a Mac. Are you using the term "Customize" as another word for "TINKERING"? Something most people don't care to do, especially in an enterprise environment.....You didn't forget this was an enterprise article did you? This article isn't about personal tinkering or customization. That stuff isn't necessary in a business environment. Simple computer operation with less hassle is what's most important in a business atmosphere and the Mac fits that bill.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
"Every Mac that we buy is making and saving IBM money," he said, as the Macs require less management and setup effort than PCs, even though they cost more up front.
NO ****! It took them until 2015 to discover this!?? It has been like that for close to 20 years!
I'm always shocked when the cheap crowd finds the expensive package has less hassle and actually works better, so it saves lots of money in labor and extras in the "long run" or a year or two.

This has been a common discovery in sections of the business world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Noiseboy and V.K.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I am confused...are you saying the iMacs are not good computers? I guess everyone can have an opinion, altho that one is terribly misguided.
Strange enough, on this forum, supposedly an Apple centric forum, there is a large concentration of haters and bashers....
Don't come here if you want an opinion about macs and Apple products in general: they are all bad according with some serial complainers here

Reactions: HenryDJP

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
What's not calculated and probably an even bigger number is the extra work folks with Macs are getting done since the help line is not on speed dial. Of course, they may use the extra time just goofing off...

Reactions: jjduru
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.